Permission to Use LTTSTORE.COM in my Yearbook

Go to solution Solved by Hopperhopper124,

Well, I got the word back from the teacher officially today. Apparently Jostens (the yearbook company) will not publish the URL and deems it not worthy. "We would not publish a website url as a senior quote.  The student should come up with a quote that contains actual words." Why do they care? idk....

Anyway. Thanks for everyone's opinions. I can't think of any other techy jokes to replace it with, so Stephen Hawking will have to stand alone on my page.

17 hours ago, Hopperhopper124 said:

How? Is Linus's mentioning it in EVERY video cringey? I think not...

it is, to me at least

but hey, it can also be funny if you look at it from another angle

go for it

if they didnt respond here, maybe u can try twitter

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

If you really want to do it, try contacting someone other than Linus. He is probably busy. Or contact him on Twitter or something like that. This forum is not a good way to contact Linus because it gets thousands upon thousands of posts per day, and 99% of them are not related to Linus. The likelyhood of him finding this post on this forum is basically nil.

I also think it's a bad idea. It's simply not funny and I think akio123008 put it really well. It's not "cringy" because "your yearbook quote has to be super serious". It's "cringy" because:

1) LTT has nothing to do with you so it just seems weird. It's like putting ubisoft.com as a quote because you like their games. It makes no sense.

2) The reason why it is "funny" (it really isn't) when Linus says it is because it's "lol shameless self promotion so lit fam xD". The joke isn't "lttstore.com", the "joke" is the way he says it and the segways.

3) Your yearbook quote is like being handed the mic at some meeting, and all you can come up with is saying the URL of a youtuber's merch store? Come on. If you're going to make a joke or something then at the very least say something funny. 

Haha, oh boy, this thread...

For starters, you don't need permission to use their website link. It falls under fair use. Not only that, it's advertising for them, so they'd be foolish to try and argue it...on top of that, the costs to do so would be considerably more than it's worth, and frankly would tarnish their image more than anything else. I, quite frankly, find it ridiculous your school (or is it some kid that's the yearbook manager?) is taking it that seriously. They should know better.

Yearbooks are meant to be fun. The ending quote is more to poke fun at yourself or others than anything else. If you take it really seriously, filled with quotes from intellects, you're going to look like you didn't have any fun at all in school. You're a kid. That's half the point; to enjoy yourself, and learn to work, interact, and build bonds with others.

I say go ahead and do it. It's something you, your friends, and any other fat nerd will get, and get a good chuckle out of.

18 hours ago, Hopperhopper124 said:

Why do I feel like you're taking this way too seriously! This isn't the entirety of my senior quote (I have a normal studious quote from Stephen Hawking) and I just want to have a little fun!

Personally I think the Hawking quote will be more cringe than the LTT one 😂

8 hours ago, akio123008 said:

No but those videos aren't Linus's yearbook. The reason it's not cringy is because it's his brand. The reason it's funny is because of the shameless self-promotion.

putting it as part of your quote in a yearbook however, is just weird; "lttstore.com" has nothing to do with you, or your school career, and you also didn't even come up with it yourself. Just because you figured "it's funny because people laugh when Linus says it" doesn't mean it's actually funny on its own.

It's not weird at all...and the fact you called school a career...oy.

It's more of an inside joke between him and his friends, and one that only fellow enthusiasts of a specific genre will get. People do it all the time for other things.

This is no different.

On 11/3/2020 at 9:47 AM, kelvinhall05 said:

You'll regret this in a few years. Don't do it.

Haha, have you even graduated yet?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

42 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

It's simply not funny

You're stating your opinion as if it was a general fact. Well, it's not: it's just your opinion. It's pretty apparent you don't appreciate OP's sense of humour, but that doesn't mean no one else will either.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 hour ago, Tristerin said:

Ridiculous?  Hell no, in the 90's we used to sign the crack of the book with "I signed your crack" example below - not see how this subject post would be regrettable lol

HAHAHA i remember doing that to a few friends yearbooks.

Also senior quote? WTF is that nonsense? We didn't get a quote in our books the only quote we could put in there was what we hand wrote in a friends book.

3 minutes ago, airborne spoon said:

Also senior quote? WTF is that nonsense? We didn't get a quote in our books the only quote we could put in there was what we hand wrote in a friends book.

We had "gift's" for lower classmen instead of senior quotes.  So I gifted "my 4:20 hoodie to Dick Wartz" (my good friend Richard Wartz lol)

Got "4:21" on the back of my senior shirt, and "better late than never" on the back of my now wifes shirt lol.  School got pissed so said we couldnt wear them, even though they approved the order, so they had to order us new shirts - mine said "hakuna" hers said "matata" lol

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

6 minutes ago, airborne spoon said:

Kids these days with their fancy-pants yearbooks! Back in my day, we didn't have yearbooks! We had to chip each others faces onto stone tablets, and sign those!

Seriously though, I would go for it. It's cheezy, nerdy, you'll laugh at it in 5 years, and that's exactly what graduating high school is about. (Says the homeschooler).

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

Well, I got the word back from the teacher officially today. Apparently Jostens (the yearbook company) will not publish the URL and deems it not worthy. "We would not publish a website url as a senior quote.  The student should come up with a quote that contains actual words." Why do they care? idk....

Anyway. Thanks for everyone's opinions. I can't think of any other techy jokes to replace it with, so Stephen Hawking will have to stand alone on my page.

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

you called school a career

Insert any other phrase you'd like for "time spent in school".

"school career" was used mostly ironically here, to point out I don't think this should be taken too seriously either. I do think however, putting lttstore.com as the quote still is just awful. I don't even care how meaningless the quote may be.

36 minutes ago, Hopperhopper124 said:

I can't think of any other techy jokes to replace it with

Really? "lttstore.com" is the best you could come up with?

49 minutes ago, Hopperhopper124 said:

Well that's lame.

You could have tried lttstore dot com as an alternative because syntax wise it's not a url.

or take a dive in the LTT memes topic, maybe there's something good there.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/11302-post-linus-memes-here-original-thread-has-returned/page/447/

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

On 11/4/2020 at 10:08 AM, Tristerin said:

Ridiculous?  Hell no, in the 90's we used to sign the crack of the book with "I signed your crack" example below - not see how this subject post would be regrettable lol

carølinë on Twitter: "Visual proof that i was that annoying kid in middle  school who signed the gutter of everyone's yearbook saying "I signed your  crack" #ftms… https://t.co/ACG1IEXXGY"

your image is broke, but 90's KIDS FOR 4 LIFE! *technically I was born in 83 but I had adolescence in the 90's lol)

On 11/3/2020 at 10:54 AM, kelvinhall05 said:

Do you really think you'll look a back at your yearbook in a few years and be proud that you put a YouTuber's merch store as your quote? Cmon. It's ridiculous.

why would you care in a few years? i literally didnt submit anything for my senior quote

omg do it!! like who cares? I only looked at my yearbook like a total of 3 times. I dont see the issue here