After 2 1/2 years of windows 11 I'm going back!

Dorfink

I adopted windows 11 pretty early on, upgrading almost immediately after it released. But after having the same AMD SCEP Certificate errors every year, I am sick of it! Luckily I missed the first set of SCEP errors but I hit 22h2s errors and this time 23h2. I can't take it anymore. Any time I play a game I crash. The crashes corrupt my save files, bluetooth no longer works even after updating my driver's and instead of freezing and restarting now it blue screens. 

My only solution that Microsoft and AMD forums have given me is to wait for them to fix it but when it takes you 2 months to fix a cert url there is a problem. 

I'd be ashamed if an updated "better" version of a product was worse than my previous one so much so that it practically forces people to revert if they want to get rid of their issues

Neat. So, your issue is inherent to Windows 11, right? Everyone has this issue? Surely you've done full drive wipes and reinstalls? 

Ryzen 7 7800x3D -  Asus RTX4090 TUF OC- Asrock X670E Taichi - 32GB DDR5-6000CL30 - SuperFlower 1000W - Fractal Torrent - Assassin IV - 42" LG C2

Ryzen 7 5800x - XFX RX6600 - Asus STRIX B550i - 32GB DDR4-3200CL14 - Corsair SF750 - Lian Li O11 Mini - EK 360 AIO - Asus PG348Q

I solved all my Windows problems over 3 decades ago, I switched to Linux.

I had pretty much this exact same issue after switching to 11(fresh install), at the same time as a CPU and MOBO upgrade. Dealt with it for a few months. Some games would work fine but some would blue screen pretty randomly, except Tarkov, Tarkov would bluescreen every other raid. My Bluetooth also randomly stopped working and it would error out trying to do Windows updates. Out of curiosity I did a memory diagnostic and found errors. Apparently the ram kit I kept from my previous build that had zero issues before, wouldn't work properly with the new build even being on the Memory QVL list for the new board. I swapped the ram in it with another kit from a desktop I had, and the issues were gone, the computer ran without issue for about a year before upgrading to what I have now. The computer I put the "faulty" Ram in also has ran just fine and is still running that same kit, just some weird issue, I can't really explain. 

Basically, what I'm getting at is if you have haven't already you should run a memory test. Either with Windows Memory Diagnostic(built into Windows) or Memtest. If either show errors try a different kit, you could also just try a different kit if you have one and see if you still get the crashing. Your issues are just very similar to what I had going on and it was the Ram not Windows 11.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

1 hour ago, Dorfink said:

I adopted windows 11 pretty early on, upgrading almost immediately after it released. But after having the same AMD SCEP Certificate errors every year, I am sick of it! Luckily I missed the first set of SCEP errors but I hit 22h2s errors and this time 23h2. I can't take it anymore. Any time I play a game I crash. The crashes corrupt my save files, bluetooth no longer works even after updating my driver's and instead of freezing and restarting now it blue screens. 

My only solution that Microsoft and AMD forums have given me is to wait for them to fix it but when it takes you 2 months to fix a cert url there is a problem. 

I'd be ashamed if an updated "better" version of a product was worse than my previous one so much so that it practically forces people to revert if they want to get rid of their issues

#Relatable
I upgraded my windows 10 laptop to windows 11 a while ago (it has beefy specs for a $350 laptop): I5 1135G7, Iris Xe Graphics, 512GB Adata SSD, 2x8 DDR4 @ 3200mhz ram, and a nice 1080P 120hz display

I had this laptop for couple years, when I upgraded, practically the next month I got my first blue screen randomly, it happened when I opened google. I clicked my profile on google, and it didn't even load the new tab page, it just froze my laptop and then blue screened.
Decided it was fine......
and then windows decided to DOWNGRADE my graphics driver... WITHOUT EVEN ASKING?!?!?!

It was a constant battle between Intel arc control and Windows Updater
Yea screw that
😕
Hi Windows 10 how are you cool thanks now I'll take you back if you don't mind

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

its funny what took you 2 1/2 years took me 2 1/2 days lol.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Hellowpplz said:

#Relatable
I upgraded my windows 10 laptop to windows 11 a while ago (it has beefy specs for a $350 laptop): I5 1135G7, Iris Xe Graphics, 512GB Adata SSD, 2x8 DDR4 @ 3200mhz ram, and a nice 1080P 120hz display

I had this laptop for couple years, when I upgraded, practically the next month I got my first blue screen randomly, it happened when I opened google. I clicked my profile on google, and it didn't even load the new tab page, it just froze my laptop and then blue screened.
Decided it was fine......
and then windows decided to DOWNGRADE my graphics driver... WITHOUT EVEN ASKING?!?!?!

It was a constant battle between Intel arc control and Windows Updater
Yea screw that
😕
Hi Windows 10 how are you cool thanks now I'll take you back if you don't mind

That's how laptops work these days. A lot of 11th and 10th gen Dell, HP, and Lenovo laptops didn't get Windows 11 drivers(even ones released as soon as a month prior) or at least haven't yet. IDK if they even plan to update all of them(likely not). But essentially any laptop made prior to Windows 11 that doesn't get 11 specific drivers may have issues running it. If your laptop doesn't have Windows 11 support, that's your issue.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

45 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

44 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

That's how laptops work these days. A lot of 11th and 10th gen Dell, HP, and Lenovo laptops didn't get Windows 11 drivers(even ones released as soon as a month prior) or at least haven't yet. IDK if they even plan to update all of them(likely not). But essentially any laptop made prior to Windows 11 that doesn't get 11 specific drivers may have issues running it. If your laptop doesn't have Windows 11 support, that's your issue.

I love how software compatibility was advertised as being the same as Windows 10. Yet when I bought my new HP z840 workstation and tried to install the Windows 10 drivers for the RAID controller, it completely nuked the entire OS, at which point I wiped the drive and installed Windows 10. 
That was about 2 1/2 hours

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

That long huh?

23 minutes ago, da na said:

I love how software compatibility was advertised as being the same as Windows 10. Yet when I bought my new HP z840 workstation and tried to install the Windows 10 drivers for the RAID controller, it completely nuked the entire OS, at which point I wiped the drive and installed Windows 10. 
That was about 2 1/2 hours

Far be it from me to give Microsoft any cheering because they’ve obviously made some errors over the years, but software and drivers are two different things. I would not expect Windows 10  drivers to function flawlessly under Windows 11, 100% of the time.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Neat. I'm thinking of moving to Linux now that Proton is good. Maybe next year. Will see how badly Microsoft ruins Windows further with ads and invasion of privacy.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, atxcyclist said:

Far be it from me to give Microsoft any cheering because they’ve obviously made some errors over the years, but software and drivers are two different things. I would not expect Windows 10  drivers to function flawlessly under Windows 11, 100% of the time.

Considering I can install Windows 7 and Vista drivers on Windows 10 95% of the time, doesn't seem too far-fetched to think Windows 10 to 11 would be the same way. I work on a great deal of '06-'08 laptops, some with driver support only thru Vista, and the only drivers that have consistently had issues are for ATi Radeon cards. Vista drivers for storage controllers, chipsets, buttons, webcam, sound, you name it - they all work fine on 10. So it seems a little stupid to me that a Windows 10 driver (from Intel, not some small manufacturer with finnicky drivers) wouldn't work on 11 - Vista and 10 are quite a lot more different than 10 and 11.

31 minutes ago, da na said:

Considering I can install Windows 7 and Vista drivers on Windows 10 95% of the time, doesn't seem too far-fetched to think Windows 10 to 11 would be the same way. I work on a great deal of '06-'08 laptops, some with driver support only thru Vista, and the only drivers that have consistently had issues are for ATi Radeon cards. Vista drivers for storage controllers, chipsets, buttons, webcam, sound, you name it - they all work fine on 10. So it seems a little stupid to me that a Windows 10 driver (from Intel, not some small manufacturer with finnicky drivers) wouldn't work on 11 - Vista and 10 are quite a lot more different than 10 and 11.

“95% of the time” 

Many drivers will work over many generations of an OS, but not all of them. I have a USB Microsoft-made webcam that has Windows 7 drivers, and it does not work under Windows 10 at all. 

Also that workstation isn’t new, the Z840 is Haswell-based Xeon, which isn’t platform supported in Windows 11 anyway. I would have zero expectation that anything would work in Windows 11, the HP documentation for that product is from so long ago that it doesn’t even mention Windows 10.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

27 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Neat. I'm thinking of moving to Linux now that Proton is good. Maybe next year. Will see how badly Microsoft ruins Windows further with ads and invasion of privacy.

It's cool if you're willing to trade Windows issues for Linux issues and tinker. 

Proton is fairly good, yes.

2 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

“95% of the time” 

Many drivers will work over many generations of an OS, but not all of them. I have a USB Microsoft-made webcam that has Windows 7 drivers, and it does not work under Windows 10 at all. 

Also that workstation isn’t new, the Z840 is Haswell-based Xeon, which isn’t platform supported in Windows 11 anyway. I would have zero expectation that nothing would work in Windows 11, the HP documentation for that product is from so long ago that it doesn’t even mention Windows 10.

Oh I'm aware it isn't new by most people's definitions. Still seems really odd that the kernel is almost the same between 10 and 11, while there is quite a gap from Vista - 7 - 8.1 - 10, yet I've only had driver problems going from Vista to 10 (save for one particularly scummy manufacturer)

4 minutes ago, da na said:

Oh I'm aware it isn't new by most people's definitions. Still seems really odd that the kernel is almost the same between 10 and 11, while there is quite a gap from Vista - 7 - 8.1 - 10, yet I've only had driver problems going from Vista to 10 (save for one particularly scummy manufacturer)

The only definition of new that matters is hardware support, and that platform doesn’t have it in Windows 11. That’s not a Microsoft/Windows 11 problem, that’s an expectations VS reality problem regarding platform support.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

4 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

The only definition of new that matters is hardware support, and that platform doesn’t have it in Windows 11. That’s not a Microsoft/Windows 11 problem, that’s an expectations VS reality problem regarding platform support.

Yeah that's fair, I am expecting more from the OS and hardware than either promises to deliver. Just seems the expectation-reality gap is wider than on previous Windows versions

4 hours ago, Thomas4 said:

I solved all my Windows problems over 3 decades ago, I switched to Linux.

wow, you have been using linux since it was alpha version 0.01? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

5 hours ago, Dorfink said:

If you don't have any apps that rely on windows 11 I would recommend downgrading to windows 10 or even better just using linux.

I think I made the right decision to jump ship now before I have to use 11. I switched to Linux for most things nearly 10 years ago. I literally (as in just a few hours ago) set it up for gaming. For Steam, it was pretty seamless. Just install Steam, enable Proton for games that don't have native Linux support, and away you go. So far, it's been pretty good in the handful of games I've been playing. I even got xbox game pass working via cloud gaming in edge, but it's still pretty choppy and the mouse and keyboard support is pretty lacking, not to mention the latency. But, if you're just using Steam, then I'd say Linux is a viable alternative.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

On 5/28/2024 at 8:49 PM, Dorfink said:

All of these problems are indicative of broken hardware or simply a Windows installation that needs wiping, or both.

Windows 11's actual issues are about the UI, not the stability. Some people who broke their installs will hate to hear this, but Windows 11 functions perfectly reliably.

Enjoy your unsupported Win10 installation next year. Every version of Windows for three decades has this exact repeated story, ending with some people raging out and "going back to a better" (Read: unsupported, so so even less functional) version of Windows.

If you actually want to solve the issue, can you list your spec?
And can you confirm without and crossed fingers behind your back that you have, in good faith, done a true reinstallation of Windows or not?

I think for our generation windows 10 was the last windows. For tiktok/reels generation (no disrespect to anyone) windows 11 and the successors are the operating systems to have because of ai and what not.

On 5/29/2024 at 2:39 AM, wasab said:

wow, you have been using linux since it was alpha version 0.01? 

just snatching the floppy from torvalds' hands lmao

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 5/29/2024 at 12:35 AM, TetraSky said:

honestly while there are still other issues with linux besides pure gaming (what about modding for example??), it really seems quite good now, market share is finally above 1% (far above actually) too...  

Microsoft really doing everything they can to make people switch lol (also windows has lowest market share since ever now, afaik only 26%...)

kinda feels like Microsoft wants out tbh, good on them, had a good run, may they find something they're actually good at. 🙂

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity