RUMOR: NVIDIA Reportedly Cancels Launch of RTX 3080 20 GB, RTX 3070 16 GB

Pickles von Brine

Fresh reports floating in the rumor mill's circulatory system claim that NVIDIA backtracked on its plans to launch higher VRAM capacity versions of their RTX 3080 and the (in the meantime, delayed) RTX 3070. These cards launched with 10 GB VRAM for the RTX 3080 and 8 GB VRAM for the RTX 3070, with reports circulating as early as their announcement that there would be double-capacity versions hitting the market just a few months later - specifically, in December of this year. Videocardz, however, claims that these long-rumored 20 GB and 16 GB SKUs have now been canceled by NVIDIA, who sent this news to its AIB partners - and the usage of canceled, not postponed, is perfunctory.

Source

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-allegedly-cancels-geforce-rtx-3080-20gb-and-rtx-3070-16gb
Not sure how I feel about this but I guess it is not a surprise. I really think that nvidia was a bit ambitious with their Ampere cards. Maybe this could also explain why there is a such a shortage as well. Who knows. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

Just now, FeIIex said:

Chances of going fully team red for build next month are even higher if this is true

I really wish AMD could figure out a way to support CUDA, otherwise I have to go Nvidia. 
😔

F@H [] Autobiography [] 

Main Desktop and Folding Rig :

Spoiler

Cpu : I5-9400f

Gpu : GTX 1070 Founder's Edition
Psu : Seasonic G-650

Ram : G.Skill Aegis 4x8gb DDR4 2666MHz (14-15-15-34)

External Storage : 8tb Western Digital Elements Usb 3.0 Hard Drive

Storage : Samsung 970 Evo 500GB

Motherboard : ASUS B365 Pro-4 m

Gaming Laptop :

Spoiler

Cpu : I7-8750H 2.2ghz 

Gpu : GTX 1070 Max Q 

Psu : laptop b r i c k 

Ram : 16gb 2666Mhz 

Storage : 512Gb SATA SSD 

Motherboard : it's a laptop.....

old boomer (currently non-functional)

Spoiler

Cpu : I5-6400 2.7ghz (doesn't have a heatsink)

Gpu : Asus RX580 8gb (might sell)

Psu : EVGA 500 watt 80 plus

Ram : 16gb DDR3 1400mhz

Storage : 1tb Toshiba HDD (currently in main pc)

Motherboard : Generic ASUS pre-built motherboard

10 minutes ago, Pickles - One of the Jar said:

Source

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-allegedly-cancels-geforce-rtx-3080-20gb-and-rtx-3070-16gb
Not sure how I feel about this but I guess it is not a surprise. I really think that nvidia was a bit ambitious with their Ampere cards. Maybe this could also explain why there is a such a shortage as well. Who knows. 

I guess the 8gb 3060 was clucked too? Or are they planning for a base 8gb model.

F@H [] Autobiography [] 

Main Desktop and Folding Rig :

Spoiler

Cpu : I5-9400f

Gpu : GTX 1070 Founder's Edition
Psu : Seasonic G-650

Ram : G.Skill Aegis 4x8gb DDR4 2666MHz (14-15-15-34)

External Storage : 8tb Western Digital Elements Usb 3.0 Hard Drive

Storage : Samsung 970 Evo 500GB

Motherboard : ASUS B365 Pro-4 m

Gaming Laptop :

Spoiler

Cpu : I7-8750H 2.2ghz 

Gpu : GTX 1070 Max Q 

Psu : laptop b r i c k 

Ram : 16gb 2666Mhz 

Storage : 512Gb SATA SSD 

Motherboard : it's a laptop.....

old boomer (currently non-functional)

Spoiler

Cpu : I5-6400 2.7ghz (doesn't have a heatsink)

Gpu : Asus RX580 8gb (might sell)

Psu : EVGA 500 watt 80 plus

Ram : 16gb DDR3 1400mhz

Storage : 1tb Toshiba HDD (currently in main pc)

Motherboard : Generic ASUS pre-built motherboard

I think there was also a rumor circulating that Nvidia are going to release cards next year on TSMC 7nm.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

What's the real reason behind too ambitious? Doesn't this mean AMD won't be much of a treat anymore?

But then again, who the fuck wants to buy the 3090 if the 3080 would have 20GB.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

5 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

They canceled the launch of cards that were never confirmed in the first place? Thats not canceled that is just not doing it. 

5 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

What's the real reason behind too ambitious? Doesn't this mean AMD won't be much of a treat anymore?

But then again, who the fuck wants to buy the 3090 if the 3080 would have 20GB.

exactly my thought process throughout this whole thing lol, even with all the leaks this would have made absolutely zero sense. 20gb of vram is completely ridiculous for gaming purposes, and that gets close enough to a 3090 that a 20gb 3080 would need to be 1300 bucks or something to not infringe on its sales. and 16gb of vram on an xx60/xx70 sku? those cards probably wont be powerful enough to leverage that kind of capacity anyways

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

2 hours ago, Tika said:

I really wish AMD could figure out a way to support CUDA, otherwise I have to go Nvidia. 
😔

That would never happen. CUDA is nvidia proprietary IP. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

3 hours ago, Tika said:

😔

AMD has their own math stuff.  Apps have to support it though.  AMD generally has a version of whatever special system NVIDIA comes up with.  Not always, but most of the time.  They’re not good at making support software or getting tools out for them though so they often languish.    Iirc this was one of the the things that made the mining craze go bang.  Someone wrote a miner that would run using that AMD stuff.   Apple uses the AMD stuff.  It’s why graphic designers were putting vega56 cards in egpu boxes.  The cards were too fast for the thunderbolt connection but they had the math coprocessors

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I though these were pointless anyway as the 3070 16gb would probably land in the 3080 price bracket while the 3080 20gb would land in the 3090 price range. So why not just bay a 3080 over a 3070 16gb or a 3090 over a 3080 20gb. The 3070 16gb kinda makes sense if you just need vram on a budget but the 3080 20gb is pointless if it lands in the 1300-1400 dollar range. As for 100-200 dollars you can get 10% more performance and 4 more gigs of vram. So these cards will just exist in this niche market holding stock for the cards that people actually want. 

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

This is AMD's time to shine.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

If there was 10GB 3080's actually available for people to buy, then you could put the tinfoil hat on and say it's a marketing ploy by Nvidia to discourage anyone that was holding out for a 20GB card to give up and just buy a 10GB card instead. That of course isn't the case, so I'm not sure there's any 4D chess moves going on here.

There was also a rumor that Nvidia would have piles of 3080's available in November or December, which conflicts with Nvidia themselves saying supply will be short until 2021. 

But, it was never Nvidia who were rumored to be releasing 20GB and 16GB variants, just murmurings coming out of AIB's about custom models with double the memory. So all this is is a rumor about a rumor.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

35 minutes ago, Abyssal Radon said:

Did nVidia actually come out and say that they were planning on launching 3080 20GB and 3070 16GB flavors this coming December? If they didn't, then it's not cancelling. The word cancel is used fairly disingenuously, thus I think I'm going to have to press X to down this shit lol.

Yeah, everything about 3080 20GB and 3070 16GB were all pure speculation. Nvidia has never said whether they'll launch such models, and until they say anything about them, I'm just going to assume they never existed in the first place 

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

MacBook Pro 13" (2018) | ThinkPad x230 | iPad Air 2     

~(˘▾˘~)   (~˘▾˘)~

55 minutes ago, Abyssal Radon said:

Did nVidia actually come out and say that they were planning on launching 3080 20GB and 3070 16GB flavors this coming December? If they didn't, then it's not cancelling. The word cancel is used fairly disingenuously, thus I think I'm going to have to press X to down this shit lol.

Nah, you just misunderstand.

The rumour is suggesting they have cancelled them entirely, not just postponed the launch. We pretty much know they were coming since we have seen lineups listing them from 5 or 6 different AIBs.

18 minutes ago, Soppro said:

Yeah, everything about 3080 20GB and 3070 16GB were all pure speculation. Nvidia has never said whether they'll launch such models, and until they say anything about them, I'm just going to assume they never existed in the first place 

Speculation? No. Conjecture? Yes.

We have seen lineups from Asus, MSI, Gigabyte and more recently Silverstone listed them as supported on their PSUs. These cards were coming. The December release date was a rumour but the cards existing was based on information we have.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I really planned to buy the 3070 16gb variant

why Nvidia? why?

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Nah, you just misunderstand.

The rumour is suggesting they have cancelled them entirely, not just postponed the launch. We pretty much know they were coming since we have seen lineups listing them from 5 or 6 different AIBs.

So there is implication by rumor that Nvidia got a look at RDNA2 and ran away.  Implication by rumor has been weaponized and gotten to be way too big a thing in my country.  It’s gotten so that people make up ridiculous BS, make an implication with it, wait for that implication to become assumed, and use it to create a new rumor.  It’s this game of vicious telephone.   There’s a certain point to putting ones foot down about such things. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3080 literally has missing solders 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

13 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So there is implication by rumor that Nvidia got a look at RDNA2 and ran away.  Implication by rumor has been weaponized and gotten to be way too big a thing in my country.  It’s gotten so that people make up ridiculous BS, make an implication with it, wait for that implication to become assumed, and use it to create a new rumor.  It’s this game of vicious telephone.   There’s a certain point to putting ones foot down about such things. 

What?

No, the rumour suggests Nvidia are having supply chain issues with GDDR6X. Nobody (to my knowledge at least) has said anything about Nvidia running away from AMD.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

8 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

What?

No, the rumour suggests Nvidia are having supply chain issues with GDDR6X. Nobody (to my knowledge at least) has said anything about Nvidia running away from AMD.

Exactly.  Which is why it’s a problem.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Exactly.  Which is why it’s a problem.

I'm sorry but I'm honestly confused by what you mean. Could you explain it please?

I should add that I don't really believe that reason. The 3070 doesn't even use GDDR6X so why cancel that? IMO Nvidia have simply postponed them for a while so they can focus on getting the current SKUs in stock and available to everyone. Jen-Hsun said recently that it might be early 2021 before they get the current cards readily available so what is the point in launching new SKUs before then? I'm gonna guess that we will see them in Q1 or Q2 2021.

Is there no way to get only half of the additional memory? I guess going for 15GB in 3080 would mean ending up with 75% of the memory bus width, ending up with worse performance than the smaller card?

I believe some of this is purposefully planned by manufacturers, 6 core CPUs being best bang/$ so when 8 core become needed because of new consoles you have to upgrade, insufficient GPU memory, it sucks when people can buy hardware and use it for years without encountering major bottlenecks.

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

it might be early 2021 before they get the current cards readily available so what is the point in launching new SKUs before then?

If memory is the problem, than yes, you can produce only half as many of the bigger versions, if something else is(namely GPU core?), then bigger memory only gives more choice. There is a conspiracy theory that Nvidia has stocked on GDDR6X making it hard for others to get supply for 30 series GPUs and plans to release what they have in November. I'm interested in seeing if there's anything to it.

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I'm sorry but I'm honestly confused by what you mean. Could you explain it please?

I should add that I don't really believe that reason. The 3070 doesn't even use GDDR6X so why cancel that? IMO Nvidia have simply postponed them for a while so they can focus on getting the current SKUs in stock and available to everyone. Jen-Hsun said recently that it might be early 2021 before they get the current cards readily available so what is the point in launching new SKUs before then? I'm gonna guess that we will see them in Q1 or Q2 2021.

I was pointing out that the implication of the rumor is even more tenuous that the rumor but it won’t stop it from being built on.  Makes an argument for the taken position of “it hasn’t happened till it happens”.  It’s a reasonable attitude to take.  Not the only one, but not unreasonable.  It’s got it’s own problems.  It can be abused too.  The very existence of the 16gb 3070 could have been BS the whole time.  If this is so, the rumor of it being removed is impacted BS.

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

AMD has their own math stuff.  Apps have to support it though.  AMD generally has a version of whatever special system NVIDIA comes up with.  

AMD usually support non proprietary open based software like OpenCL / OpenGL instead of making their own CUDA. Example, Freesync which AMD chose to make it open / non restrictive (even Nvidia can use it).

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w