Food & Cooking

whm1974

I like my salsa on my chips, any other way is messy.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

It really depends on my mood.

Sometimes I like that stuff that's almost pureed like what restaurants serve, other times i want something closer to pico de gallo, sometimes i go for that southwest salsa from Safeway, which is pretty much always delicious.

There is no right answer as everyone has different tastes for their salsa. However mild salsa should be considered a crime as it is bland and had no heat.

4 minutes ago, airborne spoon said:

It really depends on my mood.

Sometimes I like that stuff that's almost pureed like what restaurants serve, other times i want something closer to pico de gallo, sometimes i go for that southwest salsa from Safeway, which is pretty much always delicious.

There is no right answer as everyone has different tastes for their salsa. However mild salsa should be considered a crime as it is bland and had no heat.

Hey what is wrong with mild salsa? Chiles do range from Mild to Extremely Hot you know. 

Come to think about it I do want Pico De Gallo Salsa. Or Roaster's Beak?

Black bean and Corn salsa is pretty good. I like most of anything as long as its Mild. Im not in to spicy foods. 

2 hours ago, airborne spoon said:

However mild salsa should be considered a crime as it is bland and had no heat.

The no heat part is the point. Some of us dont like our ass holes burned out when the Salsa passing thru the exit. If it burns on the way down, it will burn on the way out, and burning on the way out is worse than burning on the way down. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

While I do cook with Oil from time to time, I really don't like doing it. In addiction to Health Concerns, there is also safety ones as well. I live in a SRO and wooden cabinets are over the Stove. Granted I only use Butter and Olive Oil mostly. And seldom do anything that can be called Deep Frying.

So enter Spray Oils. Since I gotten my Air Fryer I have been using those for cooking Tortillas which I didn't know those had to be heated up to be enjoyable. Plus these soft shells don't have the problem of breakage.

So Spray or regular do you use?

-- Moved to Off Topic --

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Sprays use canola or vegetable oil. Olive oil is wayyy better. Warm up them tortillas on a pan with no oil or in a microwave. Also, air fryers are just weird shaped toaster ovens.

Use olive oil. Has health benefits, adds great flavor, and is easy to work with. Sprays are awful. There's also a lot of cookware that can actually be damaged by spray oils, particularly ceramic.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

You can get a pump sprayer for olive oil, much easier to cover the pan.

2 hours ago, WindirBear said:

Sprays use canola or vegetable oil. Olive oil is wayyy better. Warm up them tortillas on a pan with no oil or in a microwave. Also, air fryers are just weird shaped toaster ovens.

I spray oil in and on tortilla so I can bend them for tacos. If I do it right there some crunch but still bendable.

1 hour ago, willies leg said:

You can get a pump sprayer for olive oil, much easier to cover the pan.

Thank You. Didn't know that.

43 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Get one of these and use real oil:
https://www.amazon.com/Misto-Brushed-Aluminum-Oil-Sprayer/dp/B00004SPZV

Grapeseed is better than Olive oil for pans, due to higher smoke point.  

Isn't Grapeseed oil pricey? I'm not deep frying here.

3 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I spray oil in and on tortilla so I can bend them for tacos. If I do it right there some crunch but still bendable.

Thank You. Didn't know that.

Isn't Grapeseed oil pricey? I'm not deep frying here.

More than olive?  Yes.  Is it some absurdly exotic oil that's 50$ a Liter?  not even close.

I usually get a bottle for ~12-14 bucks (US) at the store that lasts a few months.  

Also:  Deep Frying is less risky than pan frying for oil smoke points.  You set a temp in a fryer and it goes there.  A Pan will ABSOLUTELY get hotter than the smoke point of oil.  (Burning oil creates carcinogens and bad things.)  

3 minutes ago, tkitch said:

More than olive?  Yes.  Is it some absurdly exotic oil that's 50$ a Liter?  not even close.

I usually get a bottle for ~12-14 bucks (US) at the store that lasts a few months.  

Also:  Deep Frying is less risky than pan frying for oil smoke points.  You set a temp in a fryer and it goes there.  A Pan will ABSOLUTELY get hotter than the smoke point of oil.  (Burning oil creates carcinogens and bad things.)  

When I was growing up around where I lived, you had to go out of your way to buy Grapeseed Oil. It also cost more then ~$12-$14US Dollars. And that is for a small amount of it.

So Regular cooking oil most, and sometimes Olive.

1 hour ago, tkitch said:

Grapeseed is better than Olive oil for pans, due to higher smoke point.  

Different oils for different purposes. If your olive oil smokes then you are cooking too hot and need to turn down your stove. If you need it as hot or hotter than olive oil's smoke point then you are using olive oil where you should not be using olive oil.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

6 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

When I was growing up around where I lived, you had to go out of your way to buy Grapeseed Oil. It also cost more then ~$12-$14US Dollars. And that is for a small amount of it.

So Regular cooking oil most, and sometimes Olive.

I get it at Trader Joe's or the local grocery store, it does not require hunting.

Food availability has increased a lot, there's a ton of selection for things that used to not be around.  

https://www.amazon.com/Grapeola-GRAPEOLA-OIL-GRAPE-SEED/dp/B01MREE90Q  

My store carries this, I think it's a slightly smaller bottle than this for the 12-14 buck range.

1 minute ago, tikker said:

Different oils for different purposes. If your olive oil smokes then you are cooking too hot and need to turn down your stove. If you need it as hot or hotter than olive oil's smoke point then you are using olive oil where you should not be using olive oil.

In theory, yes.  But olive oil's smoke point starts at 375F.  Which isn't that far above the cook temps for a lot of pan frying.  (Needing to get 350 isn't uncommon.)

On a gas burner 25F isn't that big a change.  Especially if using a pan with hot spots.  (IE:  Cast Iron) 

26 minutes ago, tkitch said:

In theory, yes.  But olive oil's smoke point starts at 375F.  Which isn't that far above the cook temps for a lot of pan frying.  (Needing to get 350 isn't uncommon.)

On a gas burner 25F isn't that big a change.  Especially if using a pan with hot spots.  (IE:  Cast Iron) 

Which indicates that you shouldn't be using olive oil as you need to go to/above its smoke point. I cook with it pretty much daily for sauteing etc. and never have it smoking on me. For things that need high temperatures such as frying, stir-fry etc. my go-to is peanut oil.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

So watching YouTuber "Weird Explorer" I learned that the US and Iceland grows Bananas. While Iceland mostly stopped due lowering Tariffs on Fruit, aside from some Greenhouses. Here the US they are grown in a Small Scale. Florida, Georgia, and some right in here California.

I guessing that the Varieties produced are not the common Cadvenes ones found everywhere? One of which is the Praying Hands Banana. I'll post the video later.

Ok

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Good to see some diversity, Cavendish bananas are far too common, and there's a very good chance they disappear in the next 5 to 10 years.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

24 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Good to see some diversity, Cavendish bananas are far too common, and there's a very good chance they disappear in the next 5 to 10 years.

That is what happen to the Big Mike or Gros Michail Banana or whatever it was called.

So ever since I read or heard about this food created to punish unruly Prisoners, I have wondered just how bad or effected this is. So who has eaten Loaf before?