Food & Cooking

whm1974

The reason it’s substituted instead of regular meals is a lack of utensils required, and to some extent the demoralization of whoever only gets to eat a hodgepodge meatloaf every day.

Its a pretty effective measure to control prisoners but only after it’s been enacted on someone. When you start taking away the very few things a prisoner has they quickly quiet down to get back their few things. Food is the biggest one, take away variety and quality and give them the exact same food loaf every day and you’ll retain power over them, because they want their enchilada night back.

5 hours ago, Caroline said:

Not sure about prisons but when I was a kid I had to munch protein bars, a thick "vegetables" soup that had a terrible smell and TSP (called "fake meat", it's basically dried soybeans that resemble mince) that came in relief packages to combat the famine caused by an economic collapse and several violent uprisings.

The protein bars were hard as bricks so people used to boil them and they transformed into a bland whiteish paste, eating that was like eating reheated cooked rice from a week ago but I guess it did had the protein.

Soup... it looked like a soup but the smell... man, it was like you was boiling a rotten dog in there, it was the same soup the army serves, the vegetables were 2 tiny pieces of carrot and maybe some corn.

TSP has no taste, at all, you're supposed to mix it with red meat to make it thicker but my mom made burger patties out of that, chopped garlic cloves and paprika, that gave it some taste and colour, it even looked like real meat, guess that was the best the packages had.

Then there was rice, frying fat, flour and iodine purification tablets that made the water taste funny, toxic kind of funny.

That nutraloaf sounds like heaven compared to the brown protein goo kids like me had to eat.

I've heard the bars are green now, bet it looks like radioactive vomit if you boil them.

I would really amused if some Inmate ask for more Nutraloaf like Oliver Twist.

Would this Punishment Food be enjoyable with a bit of salt and/or suitable sauce?

• 2 weeks later...

So the common flower that almost everyone considers a pesky weed, was once a highly valued flower. In addiction to being a Medicinal plant, Wine and Coffee can made from the flowers and roots. Did I mentioned being a food source for Butterflies?

I'm willing to try some Dandelion Coffee, but after seeing a Video from "Emmamade", no thanks. Too much added sugar... But has anyone drink this before?

I've had dandelion wine before, it was okay, but it was also a first time homebrew. Give it a shot, it's bound to be an interesting experiance

My Father in law had some Dandelion Wine, but by the time I drank it, it was essentially just like Brandy, so it had been sitting a long while doing some extra fermentation. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

My Father in law had some Dandelion Wine, but by the time I drank it, it was essentially just like Brandy, so it had been sitting a long while doing some extra fermentation. 

So did he add any Yeast to it and what kind? While I would consume Bandy, the extra fermentation I don't thing I can wait for.  Wait the heavy sugar? That might have been the Corncob wine she made with with a instant pot...

Just now, whm1974 said:

So did he add any Yeast to it and what kind? While I would consume Bandy, the extra fermentation I don't thing I can wait for.  Wait the heavy sugar? That might have been the Corncob wine she made with with a instant pot...

I honestly don't know as this was probably 15+ years ago I had it and he had it sitting around for ages already at that point to basically become like Brandy, at least to the taste. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

I honestly don't know as this was probably 15+ years ago I had it and he had it sitting around for ages already at that point to basically become like Brandy, at least to the taste. 

Was it nasty or actually something drinkable? Now back during the American Colonial Period and sometime after, Blackstrap was the cheapest sweetener around. What else could you do with it, make Rum?

1 minute ago, whm1974 said:

Was it nasty or actually something drinkable? Now back during the American Colonial Period and sometime after, Blackstrap was the cheapest sweetener around. What else could you do with it, make Rum?

Definitely a slow slow sipper at that point at best. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Dandelion tea wasn't too bad last time I tried it, which is saying something considering the fact that I don't like tea in general. Dandelion coffee sounds like it would be interesting to try. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

9 hours ago, BondiBlue said:

Dandelion tea wasn't too bad last time I tried it, which is saying something considering the fact that I don't like tea in general. Dandelion coffee sounds like it would be interesting to try. 

Last I read you roast the roots and grind them. As much as much coffee as I drink, they won't last for long.

I just ordered some Jars of both this stuff since I wanted try both of them. Had Light (Original Molasses) before but not Blackstrap AFAIK. Blackstrap cookies anyone? I thinking of baking bread with it. Might add this to coffee or hot tea.

The Sorghum Syrup? Toast maybe?

What do you do with this?

I have a recipe I made for using blackstrap and chicken. When I get home I'll dig it up and post for you.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

It was salmon, not chicken

____

Thai Salmon

+Requirements-

One salmon (fresh, though not living. If living, exchange for one not living. Skinned is preferred)

Blackstrap molasses

Dijon mustard

Basil, chopped, diced, or whole

Cooking wine

Melted butter

Worcestershire sauce

Soaking pan, large enough for (non living, but skinned) salmon.

+Preparation-

You'll note there are no exact measurements either here, or in any of the other recipes. This is because a true chef (and let's face it, you are a true chef, otherwise you wouldn't be asking for my Intergalactically famous recipes) can vary the amounts needed, as opposed to slavishly following a cookbook. And because I make this up as I went along. But every recipe has been tested on kings, queens, knights, presidents and visiting dignitaries. And none have died yet. Therefore my methods are sound...

Start by mixing into the soaking pan, the blackstrap molasses (1/4 cup will do for a large scale salmon), a heaping teaspoon of Dijon mustard (plain mustard will do in a pinch, but is more coarse and therefore less is needed), a generous dash of cooking wine (it will evaporate during cooking, so don' be worried if you use too much), and some melted butter (1/4 stick will do fine for a large salmon.) Add to this the Worcestershire sauce (1/8 cup) and blend by hand.

Place salmon on top, and using a cooking brush (or other implement of basting) paint the salmon with the mix. Cover dish and let stand. The longer you let it stand, the stronger the taste. But anywhere from 15 minutes to 1 hour is acceptable.

+Cooking-

Cooking fish, especially red fish (salmon, tuna, mako, shark in general) can be difficult because the outsides cook much faster than the insides, and one can end up with very dry fish if cooked improperly.

The secret here is to cut the salmon into small squares (something on the order of 5 inches will do) and place over medium heat. This will allow the fish to cook completely, without drying it out. If you are unsure as to the proper cooking procedure, the extra sauce in the pan should just start to simmer, and not to boil. This is the correct temperature.

So, to start, take the entire contents of the soaking pan (non-living salmon, and mixing sauce) and place into the frying pan, placed at medium (or lower) heat. While the fish is cooking, continue to baste with the sauce the salmon is in.

Every two minutes, flip the salmon and allow the other side to cook. Cooked salmon will go from red to pink when done and will fall apart easily. Overcooked salmon will go from pink to white, and become tough to cut, as well as very dry. This is to be avoided.

After each salmon square has been flipped twice, cut into the squares to determine if done. entire square should be pink. If the edges are white that is of no matter, just not the center.

Remove from heat and serve to hungry offspring.

+Approximate cooking time-

No more than 10 minutes.

+Best served with-

Rice, or fresh salad vegetables garnished with Italian dressing.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Gotten the Both the blackstrap and sorghum last night around 6 to 7PM. Didn't try the latter but the former and a bit strong tasting... Depending how it's used. First it was some breakfast coffee from Walgreens I want to try. Spreed bit on toast with butter.

I also drinking hot tea with a little in it. Drinkable. Not sure if I like the coffee or toast with it. But mat be the coffee I'm not liking.

2 hours ago, Heliian said:

Definitely molasses taffy! 

Never heard or seen that before. Made with Blackstrap? That is somewhat overpowering you know... That is best described as Bittersweet. It is used to make among other things, cough Rum.

The Golden Barrel brand of Blackstrap Molasses I gotten from Amazon has Added Sugars. This seems really strange to me to do this at all. Discover after I read the back and did an extra take over this. The stuff already has enough sugar left over from Sugarcane. There is no reason whatever to add more.

This is like sweetening fruit juices. Very few actually need this at all.

So I'm going to buy another brand of Blackstrap once this is used up.

24 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

You might find this of interest (the original site is gone however)

http://h2operation.org/sugarstacks/

Can you actually buy sugar cubes anymore? I never seen them sold anywhere come to think of it. The last I even saw them was at classes about Health and Mental Illness. They Use them the way that Site you linked to.

Just now, whm1974 said:

Can you actually buy sugar cubes anymore? I never seen them sold anywhere come to think of it. The last I even saw them was at classes about Health and Mental Illness. They Use them the way that Site you linked to.

Around here I can, they come in a box.

But here in USALand, they add extra sugar to *everything*

It's physically addicting, among other things (it's cheap, so it gets added everywhere)