Food & Cooking

whm1974
1 hour ago, whm1974 said:

Can you actually buy sugar cubes anymore?

You can. It's sold in small boxes even in Canada.

But yes. NA has a strong obsession with sugar... I've had bread with little to no sugar in it and frankly it was one of the best bread I've ever eaten. What we get in stores here could literally pass for cake due to how much unneeded sugar there's in it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Sugar is added to absolutely every food in the US. It happened because the sugar lobby infiltrated the government and told everyone that Fat is the Boogeyman and we need to replace it with sugar.

I know it sounds conspiratorial but it's pretty much true. And its not even the only time this has happened. Our food is so messed up because of greed.

This is also the reason why we need so much dental care in this country. If you go to third world countries they actually have much better teeth than we do because their food isn't so processed.

58 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

Sugar is added to absolutely every food in the US. It happened because the sugar lobby infiltrated the government and told everyone that Fat is the Boogeyman and we need to replace it with sugar.

I know it sounds conspiratorial but it's pretty much true. And its not even the only time this has happened. Our food is so messed up because of greed.

This is also the reason why we need so much dental care in this country. If you go to third world countries they actually have much better teeth than we do because their food isn't so processed.

That is false in so many ways. 
Sugar is not added to every food in the US, it is added to a majority of pre processed foods.

"I know it sounds conspiratorial but it's pretty much true" is the equivalent to saying I just made this up, which you may not have but you may have heard it from someone who did.
If you have been to a 3rd world country, you would know how false the last statement is. 

Junk Yard Dog Build

I7 -10700K
MSI Z490 MPG Gaming Plus

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32gb (4x8gb) DDR4 (3200 MHz)

Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC Pro

Corsair H115i Platinum AIO

EVGA 750 GQ

In a Cyberpower PC X-Titan case

1 minute ago, bondoao1 said:

That is false in so many ways. 
Sugar is not added to every food in the US, it is added to a majority of pre processed foods.

"I know it sounds conspiratorial but it's pretty much true" is the equivalent to saying I just made this up, which you may not have but you may have heard it from someone who did.
If you have been to a 3rd world country, you would know how false the last statement is. 

Yeah cool everything you just said is false too.

Just now, dilpickle said:

No it's not! 

This is fun.

Junk Yard Dog Build

I7 -10700K
MSI Z490 MPG Gaming Plus

EVGA 750 GQ

8 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

7 minutes ago, bondoao1 said:

No it's not! 

This is fun.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/07/the-average-american-eats-17-teaspoons-of-added-sugar-daily-its-killing-us

https://www.healthline.com/health/sugar/americas-deadly-sugar-addiction#The-Rise-of-Added-Sugars

You're both right, it's just not the whole story, stop fighting for nothing.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

But it was getting fun. 

Yea like I said, sugars are added in pre processed foods.
If you cook your own food from scratch as we do, you don't get the extra sugars. 
I also understand that not all people have the time or ability to cook their own foods from scratch, but those that do and can, should.

Junk Yard Dog Build

I7 -10700K
MSI Z490 MPG Gaming Plus

EVGA 750 GQ

48 minutes ago, bondoao1 said:

But it was getting fun. 

Yea like I said, sugars are added in pre processed foods.
If you cook your own food from scratch as we do, you don't get the extra sugars. 
I also understand that not all people have the time or ability to cook their own foods from scratch, but those that do and can, should.

How long does it to fry eggs? The last time I boiled any eggs, it sure seemed to take longer then to fry them. Well that and using salt...

Oatmeal? Seriously use a microwave and buy regular Rolled Oats. They cheaper then packets and you flavored them any way you want. I shake a bit of salt, some suitable spices, milk, and maybe butter...

Biggest chunk of Medicare goes to diabetes treatment. 

When I do IT consulting I typically have to deal with various corporate support desks, and I'm dealing with younger guys in their 20s weighing 300lbs or more.....constantly. Every company I go to.  Its like Jurassic Park.

Home Sapiens have no evolutionary ability to process high fructose corn syrup. Look what its doing to Mexico. Its basically slow poison. 

I got lucky and managed to reverse insulin resistance with diet adjustments...very lucky. Worst offender was fruit juice with added sugar. My favorite store brand bread doesn't add sugar, and its the exception. Finding prepared foods that don't add fructose is a pain. 

3 hours ago, whm1974 said:

How long does it to fry eggs? The last time I boiled any eggs, it sure seemed to take longer then to fry them. Well that and using salt...

Oatmeal? Seriously use a microwave and buy regular Rolled Oats. They cheaper then packets and you flavored them any way you want. I shake a bit of salt, some suitable spices, milk, and maybe butter...

You need to understand something.  Not everyone has a full kitchen to use.  Some of us live in a 70 inch mobile casket to deliver the molasses that your annoyed with for having added sugar.  So, I live primarily off of preprocessed foods and frozen TV dinners.  I need to keep mainly non perishable items in my semi.  

But when I am home for my week down, I cook in my beautiful kitchen. Bit out here, I try my best to eat healthy but you can only do so much.  

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

7 hours ago, TetraSky said:

You can. It's sold in small boxes even in Canada.

But yes. NA has a strong obsession with sugar... I've had bread with little to no sugar in it and frankly it was one of the best bread I've ever eaten. What we get in stores here could literally pass for cake due to how much unneeded sugar there's in it.

a (somewhat) local resturant has bread with so much sugar it takes like cake.

But thats like meant to taste overly sugary, its paired with all sorts of bassically sugar-less stuff like garlic and butter

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Sugar is addictive. Add sugar. Get customers addicted. Profit.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

3 hours ago, Zusafek said:

You need to understand something.  Not everyone has a full kitchen to use.  Some of us live in a 70 inch mobile casket to deliver the molasses that your annoyed with for having added sugar.  So, I live primarily off of preprocessed foods and frozen TV dinners.  I need to keep mainly non perishable items in my semi.  

But when I am home for my week down, I cook in my beautiful kitchen. Bit out here, I try my best to eat healthy but you can only do so much.  

I don't have  a full kitchen either but a kitchenette. But I'm well aware of some of them limitations a few have.

Do you keep a few fruits in your Semi?

Only apples.  Most other fruits I'm allergic to them.  

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

18 hours ago, whm1974 said:

This seems really strange to me to do this at all.

Murica. That why. Im convinced the food and medical companies are in league with each other to give everyone high blood pressure and diabetes. The food companies know sugar is addictive and the drug companies know that if you want to survive diabetes your probably going to need insulin and they can charge a boat load for it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

18 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Can you actually buy sugar cubes anymore?

Yes, I buy them and crush them up to make Belgium Liege waffles in place of Pearl Sugar.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/09/13/493739074/50-years-ago-sugar-industry-quietly-paid-scientists-to-point-blame-at-fat

As per usual, rampant unchecked lobbying has doomed us all. This even links into government farm subsidies, large corporate corn growers (corn sugar is where we get most of our sugar), and even into the oil industry (corn ethanol). Basically it boils down to decades of public health messaging based on bunk science that's allowed lobbyists to push the government to fund the addition of sugar to our diets through farm subsidies that largely benefit massive corporations growing corn for sugar and ethanol production. Fuel ethanol is a net energy loss and net polluter compared to petroleum gasoline and it drives up the cost of food corn which in turn also benefits producers who can now charge more for less.

It's such a horrible mess and we're all literally powerless to stop it because no one gets elected without big money from big lobby groups who are the ones driving the policies and legislation causing it. Everyone has to make deals with the devil, except the devil doesn't care for us. Want to see how screwed up things are here? Think Jan 6th was a one off? Nah. As always, history repeats itself and American history is driven by business greed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_Plot

40 minutes ago, Bitter said:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/09/13/493739074/50-years-ago-sugar-industry-quietly-paid-scientists-to-point-blame-at-fat

As per usual, rampant unchecked lobbying has doomed us all. This even links into government farm subsidies, large corporate corn growers (corn sugar is where we get most of our sugar), and even into the oil industry (corn ethanol). Basically it boils down to decades of public health messaging based on bunk science that's allowed lobbyists to push the government to fund the addition of sugar to our diets through farm subsidies that largely benefit massive corporations growing corn for sugar and ethanol production. Fuel ethanol is a net energy loss and net polluter compared to petroleum gasoline and it drives up the cost of food corn which in turn also benefits producers who can now charge more for less.

It's such a horrible mess and we're all literally powerless to stop it because no one gets elected without big money from big lobby groups who are the ones driving the policies and legislation causing it. Everyone has to make deals with the devil, except the devil doesn't care for us. Want to see how screwed up things are here? Think Jan 6th was a one off? Nah. As always, history repeats itself and American history is driven by business greed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_Plot

That is the first time I even heard of the Business Plot. But it seems that the actual "Businessmen" involved quickly back off once Congress started asking questions.

Jan 6th? Well People are sometimes outright Stupid is all I can say. Useful Idiots indeed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Useful_idiot

These are the ones that support Causes that works against their Interests.

Sugar is added to damn near everything in the USA, from bread to stuff that's already sweet like your molasses example. Sugar lobby and junk science saying fat is bad.

This is why we have an epidemic of obesity in the states, mix that with lazy people not wanting to go to work when daddy government will pay them to sit on their ass at home and you got an even bigger problem. Now add on that fatties are more susceptible to the rona and you're gonna start killing off more Americans because 42%% of the damn country is obese.

1 hour ago, airborne spoon said:

Sugar is added to damn near everything in the USA, from bread to stuff that's already sweet like your molasses example. Sugar lobby and junk science saying fat is bad.

This is why we have an epidemic of obesity in the states, mix that with lazy people not wanting to go to work when daddy government will pay them to sit on their ass at home and you got an even bigger problem. Now add on that fatties are more susceptible to the rona and you're gonna start killing off more Americans because 42%% of the damn country is obese.

Those lazy people as you call them gotten tired of low pay and somewhat Poor Working Environment. 

9 hours ago, airborne spoon said:

Many people also sit on their asses at work all day. more they work, more overweight they become. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

4 hours ago, airborne spoon said:

when daddy government will pay them to sit on their ass at home and you got an even bigger problem.

I mean that has nothing to do with the shortage of labor. More boomers are retiring then ever before. Most are at retirement age or near enough. Some might have retired a bit early. The fact is we lost a large amount of our workforce as a result. Younger generations are not having as many kids, so the ranks are NOT being replenished. Some people also have found other ways to make money besides working for employers who dont give a shit about them. More and more people are starting their own businesses. 

Also here in Michigan at least all extra money has stopped months ago. I think the state cut off extended unemployment in September. So people have no choice but to get jobs. Again with the amount of people retiring, the younger generation finding better jobs and people deciding to start their own business, their frankly is not enough people to fill all the jobs. 

52 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I mean that has nothing to do with the shortage of labor. More boomers are retiring then ever before. Most are at retirement age or near enough. Some might have retired a bit early. The fact is we lost a large amount of our workforce as a result. Younger generations are not having as many kids, so the ranks are NOT being replenished. Some people also have found other ways to make money besides working for employers who dont give a shit about them. More and more people are starting their own businesses. 

Also here in Michigan at least all extra money has stopped months ago. I think the state cut off extended unemployment in September. So people have no choice but to get jobs. Again with the amount of people retiring, the younger generation finding better jobs and people deciding to start their own business, their frankly is not enough people to fill all the jobs. 

I'm a millennial and I'll be retiring soon (end of 2023).

People that start their own business tend to fail because they don't understand basic economics and what overhead they actually have. And there are plenty of jobs that are offering good money, people just think they deserve more money when they don't.

1 hour ago, airborne spoon said:

I'm a millennial and I'll be retiring soon (end of 2023).

People that start their own business tend to fail because they don't understand basic economics and what overhead they actually have. And there are plenty of jobs that are offering good money, people just think they deserve more money when they don't.

The point is, the Baby boomers were the largest generation. The youngest boomer is like 56, so majority are ready for retirement. We simply dont have enough people to fill the jobs and thats not going to change. While some people are lazy, the unemployment rate is about back to normal, the fact is it just the way it is now. We are going to have shortages for...... ever. At least until some jobs are automated. 

And drilling into everyone for 2 or 3 generations that you have to go to college and get "a good job" doesn't help. Being a butcher or store manager or fast food worker or garbage truck driver or bus driver or store clerk aren't "good" jobs. If everyone is an executive or works in an office or has a job with college degree then there's no one to work the "bad" jobs and the people that do work them are looked down upon and CLEARLY DON'T WANT TO BE POOPED ON for having those jobs but that's what we do as a society. No one values the butcher and milk man anymore, we just expect them to be there and do their job for as little pay as possible. It's no wonder no one wants 'menial' jobs when we've made them so derogatory and the literal butt of our jokes.