Reddit user discovers msi scalping own 3080s on ebay for massive profits

Summary

A reddit user has discovered msi taking advantage of the 3080 situation to sell their own cards on ebay for like double the rrp.

Quotes

"

As said, MSI is scalping their own 3080s on ebay under the name Starlit Partner. Browsing the Starlit Partner seller reveals that everything they sell is MSI, most (maybe all) new in a box. They have the nerve to say "We work closely with the manufacturer." Because they are literally the manufacturer.

Starlit Partner trademark

Link to 3080 being scalped

A card retailing for 759.00, currently being sold by the manufacturer on ebay for 1359.00, and they are absolutely selling out of them. There were some available when I started looking into it and now the auction simply says 0 available, 4 sold.

"

My thoughts

The pc industry has had soo many scandals involving consumers getting taken advantage off from absurd ram prices to a gpu market that was already insanely expensive; this is another incident and people with a voice need to speak out about it and reputations should be tarred over it(extreme example but not unlike volkswagen and the emissions scandal).

Sources

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Was it worth it? They sold 4 cards at a markup and in return get (hopefully) a bunch of bad press for it. I mean, I've heard people say all press is good, but if I get a new card, I can't support MSI doing this, and I'm sure many will do the same.

However, I also wonder how many other companies are doing this in a less obvious way and are getting by without getting caught

Edit: This is assuming, obviously, that MSI actually did do this

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Edit: as I say in a later response, another user found proof from MSI documentation that this is a subsidiary company of Micro-Star and multiple other sources I found agree

I think there is a very big misunderstanding here. Msi computer corporation is not the full name of msi. It is Micro-Star International Co.

If you look at the trademark site linked, it shows that Starlit Partners is registered by MSI computer corporation. That is the only trademark it owns. Looking at the same site, it shows what trademarks are actually held by Micro-Star International and this is not one of them. https://trademarks.justia.com/owners/micro-star-international-co-ltd-1164292/

Edit: I’m continuing to look into this, but Micro-Star International might be the parent company of MSI Computer Corporation. Once I can find proof one way or the other, I will update this.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

nvidia should just remove them as a partner for this

4 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

I think there is a very big misunderstanding here. Msi computer corporation is not the full name of msi. It is Micro-Star International Co. This company does not belong to MSI (atleast that MSI).

If you look at the trademark site linked, it shows that Starlit Partners is registered by MSI computer corporation. That is the only trademark it owns. Looking at the same site, it shows what trademarks are actually held by Micro-Star International and this is not one of them. https://trademarks.justia.com/owners/micro-star-international-co-ltd-1164292/

isnt that trademark infringement at the least its someone trying to pass as msi since msi uses star in their trademarks also

8 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

MSI's official name is Micro-Star International Co., Ltd, not "MSI COMPUTER CORP."

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

Just now, Random_Person1234 said:

MSI's official name is Micro-Star International Co., Ltd, not "MSI COMPUTER CORP."

yeah idk this is either someone trying to pass as msi or some spin off company

Just now, spartaman64 said:

isnt that trademark infringement at the least its someone trying to pass as msi since msi uses star in their trademarks also

It would be. But I just edited my op to include that msi Computer Corp might be owned by micro-star. Once I figure it out (through official sites not just google), I will update.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

Since OP posted this the Reddit post has been updated.

I'm editing this in here. This was sent from the mod of another sub. I have no way to independently verify it, I'm not a journalist, or a youtuber, I don't have industry contacts, all that jazz.

from XXXXXXX via XXXXXXX sent 2 minutes ago

This is confirmed to be incorrect. Post is being flagged as Misleading.

Thanks to /u/PCBUILDQUESTIONS200 post below

Stop posting this, it is inaccurate. The seller is a scammer.

The evidence covered in the original post can all easily be debunked.

First, the trademark holder MSI Computer Corp. holds no other trademarks. Suggesting it is not actually MSI.

Second, the website of the selling store is poorly made and last went under copywrite in 2016.

Third, there are forum discussions about people being scammed by this company: >https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/bought-new-gtx-1080-from-amazon-got-used-r9-390-with-opened-box.3154556/

I have independently confirmed that the REAL MSI is this: https://trademarks.justia.com/owners/micro-star-international-co-ltd-1164292/

They are operating as "MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD."

This is a scammer account. Delete this crap and tell that Youtuber to do the same

So, if that's all correct, this is a scammer that has a ton of MSI inventory and made themselves look like MSI on ebay and Amazon, without MSI proper being aware of it or nuking them from orbit for doing so. Again, I can't verify this, and it would actually be nice if this wasn't MSI. Feels strange to me that he would have flown under their radar doing that moving that much of their product exclusively, but I'm just some guy. Maybe it fell off the truck. I don't know.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

13 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

I think there is a very big misunderstanding here. Msi computer corporation is not the full name of msi. It is Micro-Star International Co.

Edit: I’m continuing to look into this, but Micro-Star International might be the parent company of MSI Computer Corporation. Once I can find proof one way or the other, I will update this.

I found these, not sure how relevant it is though:

https://www.bloomberg.com/profile/company/0194241D:US 

https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/city-of-industry/profile/computer-parts/msi-computer-corp-1216-13155122

Looks to me like MSI, but I'm not fully sure if that's the case

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What's sad is it's easy to believe that MSI would actually do something like this, especially after their recent review scandal.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

What's sad is it's easy to believe that MSI would actually do something like this, especially after their recent review scandal.

yeah any other company i would be like wtf that cant be true except maybe zotac

As shitty as MSI's business practices are, this certainly does not appear to be them. If they are a partner of MSI, I promise you they will not be as of tomorrow morning. If they are actually MSI and they're dumb enough to use the name they're known by, best of luck to them cleaning up this mess.

Just now, spartaman64 said:

yeah any other company i would be like wtf that cant be true except maybe zotac

The f**k you got against Zotac?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Another thing to keep in mind is that we should probably wait until MSI issues a statement before jumping to conclusions

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

The address listed is an MSI corporate office.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

1 minute ago, Random_Person1234 said:

The address listed is an MSI corporate office.

If this is indeed a scam, couldn't the scammers just google the MSI office address and put that down on the listing? I don't think this is enough evidence tbh

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

7 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

As shitty as MSI's business practices are, this certainly does not appear to be them. If they are a partner of MSI, I promise you they will not be as of tomorrow morning. If they are actually MSI and they're dumb enough to use the name they're known by, best of luck to them cleaning up this mess.

The f**k you got against Zotac?

they blacklisted gamer nexus and their trinity card is the most cheaped out 3080

10 minutes ago, Spotty said:

wait it still could be msi this is their listed address

their building has an MSI logo. and its listed as a msi corporate building

unknown.png?width=575&height=509

Just now, Shreyas1 said:

If this is indeed a scam, couldn't the scammers just google the MSI office address and put that down on the listing? I don't think this is enough evidence tbh

That's what I was thinking.

20 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

Proof? Like the Bloomberg site you mean?

https://www.bloomberg.com/profile/company/0194241D:US

Or is this also hacked and fake and whatever excuse people like to make.