Reddit user discovers msi scalping own 3080s on ebay for massive profits

4 minutes ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

Proof? Like the Bloomberg site you mean?

https://www.bloomberg.com/profile/company/0194241D:US

Or is this also hacked and fake and whatever excuse people like to make.

MSI stands for Micro-Star International

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

2 minutes ago, Random_Person1234 said:

MSI stands for Micro-Star International

Do you actually bother thinking about what you are even posting?

The board members listed work for Micro-Star International.

MSI Computer Corp is a subsidiary of Micro-Star International, do you really not understand that?

Do you know what subsidiaries are? Do you actually seriously think Bloomberg would list a fake company where people pretend to work for MSI?

4 minutes ago, Random_Person1234 said:

MSI stands for Mega-Scam International

FTFY 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

MSI Computer Corp is a subsidiary of Micro-Star International, do you really not understand that?

Do you know what subsidiaries are? Do you actually seriously think Bloomberg would list a fake company where people pretend to work for MSI?

Spoiler

2049655198_ScreenShot2020-10-06at8_43_27PM.thumb.png.f7cfc66adc5dc19c4d9180772872dce3.png

A list of all companies registered in California with MSI in their name. I think you're right.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

I have found a couple of places that do list the trademark holder MSI Computer Corporation as a subsidiary company of Micro-Star International. I have also found that the board members of MSI Computer Corporation are listed as employees of Micro-Star International. This leads me to believe that this is actually MSIs trademark and assuming the seller is not fake, this is Micro-Star International’s doing. Given the amount of time the account has been up (3 years), the number of positive reviews it has, and the time frame from trademark to account creation, the account seems real in my opinion.

However, I find it important to note that while I have found nothing stating that it is not owned by micro-star international, some of what I have seen appears to be confusing the two. Specifically LinkedIn which lists MSI Computer corporation as having over 10,000 employee which is not the case. The majority of places list it as having around 100. Also, MSI Computer corporation has been operating for over 20 years, making me believe it is owned by Micro-Star because otherwise they would have taken them down by now.

My sources: 

https://trademarks.justia.com/871/87/starlit-87187184.html
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-GeForce-RTX-3080-GAMING-X-TRIO-10G-Graphics-Card-PCI-E-Gen-4-VR-Ready/254731359933?epid=12041024641&hash=item3b4f2c16bd:g:qsEAAOSwlJlfcLzv

https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/city-of-industry/profile/computer-parts/msi-computer-corp-1216-13155122

https://www.dnb.com/business-directory/company-profiles.msi_computer_corp.0c18b5af5818e2b43721212af28f1b59.html#financials-anchor

and more that I closed out of

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

35 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

I think there is a very big misunderstanding here. Msi computer corporation is not the full name of msi. It is Micro-Star International Co.

If you look at the trademark site linked, it shows that Starlit Partners is registered by MSI computer corporation. That is the only trademark it owns. Looking at the same site, it shows what trademarks are actually held by Micro-Star International and this is not one of them. https://trademarks.justia.com/owners/micro-star-international-co-ltd-1164292/

Edit: I’m continuing to look into this, but Micro-Star International might be the parent company of MSI Computer Corporation. Once I can find proof one way or the other, I will update this.

Micro-Star International is the corporate name of MSI, in Taiwan. MSI Computer Corp. is a subsidiary of Micro-Star International.

This can be confirmed with MSI's own financial records from 2015:

https://asset.msi.com/file/pdf/investor/financial/10404IFRS_enmerger.pdf

Page 15, they list MSI Computer Corp. as a wholly owned subsidiary.

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

One you listed is in the Cayman Islands.  Only one of the 3 in Califonia still exists, and it's MSI's City of Industry location.

I searched it on California's government website: https://www.sos.ca.gov/business-programs/business-entities/cbs-search-tips

I'm sure Tech Jesus Steve is going to have fun with this one

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

3 minutes ago, realpetertdm said:

Micro-Star International is the corporate name of MSI, in Taiwan. MSI Computer Corp. is a subsidiary of Micro-Star International.

This can be confirmed with MSI's own financial records from 2015:

https://asset.msi.com/file/pdf/investor/financial/10404IFRS_enmerger.pdf

Page 15, they list MSI Computer Corp. as a wholly owned subsidiary.

Thats what I was trying to find, but could not. Thank you!

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

15 minutes ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

The only thing proven right now is that there's a company using MSI's name and address as their own, and they're selling MSI graphics cards at a heavily marked-up price. Beyond that piece of information, we do not know if it's actually MSI, an MSI vendor, a rogue MSI employee, or just a company that managed to get their hands on a bunch of 3080s and is now marking them up like crazy. I don't think you understand how easy it is to go into your seller info on Amazon and put an address that isn't yours in there, then ship from wherever you're actually located. I'm also not sure that MSI is dumb enough to use their own information if they're really pulling a fast one like that. I expect we'll hear more from MSI tomorrow. If we don't, well, the silence would speak volumes.

Edit: don't rule out the possibility that this is a scammer who doesn't actually have any cards. If that's the case, they're already moving funds from their Amazon/PayPal linked account into a second account that those two can't reach into.

Second edit: I'm not defending MSI. If they are up to shady shit, which would be entirely believable, then they deserve whatever comes their way. I'm just not interested in rushing to judgment when we don't have all the facts or a statement from MSI yet.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

The sad thing is they make really great GPUs, everything else...not so much though.

And the even sadder thing is I have zero reason to not believe they would do something like this after recent review scandal amongst other things ...

We should really just all stop buying their products to show gamers aren't just sheeps... unfortunately that's probably just wishful thinking.

I however have already decided after the GN video to not buy their products anymore... it's not something I believe will have any effects whatsoever but I just flat out refuse to support certain companies that proved again and again how scummy they are.

(my list is very long lol)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Domain Name: MSI.COM
Registry Domain ID: 397410_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.networksolutions.com
Registrar URL: http://networksolutions.com
Updated Date: 2018-07-10T07:07:15Z
Creation Date: 1991-10-01T04:00:00Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2027-09-30T04:00:00Z
Registrar: Network Solutions, LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 2

Domain Name: msicomputer.com
Registry Domain ID: 1946020_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.networksolutions.com
Registrar URL: http://networksolutions.com
Updated Date: 2018-03-07T03:25:02+00:00
        2016-04-21
Creation Date: 1998-04-16T04:00:00+00:00
        1998-04-16
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2021-04-15T04:00:00+00:00
        2021-04-15
Registrar: Network Solutions, LLC
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 2
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: email.pgif?md5=862341287ea0b64f4cf4ba33b0e3235a&face=arial&size=9&color=000000&bgcolor=FFFFFF&face=arial&size=9&color=0000FF&bgcolor=FFFFFF&format[]=transparent&format[]=transparent
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: 18003337680

Edit:

Also

image.png.b5a5d55adb236bedc42b75c8d77f917b.png

I hope they have all the right Microsoft licenses 😉

33 minutes ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

Proof? Like the Bloomberg site you mean?

Or is this also hacked and fake and whatever excuse people like to make.

Proof as in official MSI documentation (which @realpetertdm found and linked) or a government website showing such. I never claimed anything was hacked or fake, just making sure it was true. As you can see in a previous response I found conflicting information on trustworthy websites which is why I was looking to find real proof not a single bloomberg site like you linked. 

I found it hard to believe any major multi-national company would do something like this so out in the open so I fact checked it, nothing more nothing less. As soon as I saw my claim might not be true, I looked into more sources.

I find it very ironic that you are accusing me of calling everything fake when the very thing you quoted shows me doubting my source which lead me to believe that it was fake and saying I will look into further. I am very sorry I didn't trust a reddit article without any fact checking, it will not happen again.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Is it normal for large brands with international presence to fulfill orders by Amazon?

A: Since STARLIT PARTNER is a Fulfillment-by-Amazon seller, please contact Amazon Customer Service directly for help as follows: 

Really, the only thing that stands out to me that it isn't MSI is that little bit on the Amazon Seller's Profile...

The account has feedback going back at least to beginning of 2018 (with plenty more pages available). 1680 total ratings, and 95% positive. That doesn't sound like scam numbers to me.

Things that (to me) says it is MSI:

• Seller's profile lists company name, address, and website as their own. Their own sales page also lists the Micro-Star HQ as their address.
  • Has been up longer than 2 years.
  • Lists only MSI products, even though claiming to have "solid business partnerships with the worldwide-famous computer technology vendors".
  • It lists the trademark owner as MSI Computer Corp in City of Industry.
  • The Bloomberg 'profile' lists MSI Computer Corp. as a sub-flavor of Micro-Star.

And now it looks like that seller's storefront is down? There is no link to it in their profile, and I'm not smart enough to hard-link to it...

Is there any way to see an archived version or something?

Y'all some speedy bois. Jeezus. Anyway, yeh.

Edited by The1Dickens
2Slow4U
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

It’s been done though generally at the retail level.  When the Mini Cooper first came out I pre ordered and when my car came in some asshat salesman sold it to someone else out from under me because he could get over list for it.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

can you explain this to me im a big dumb dumb lol

One more piece of evidence:

(Source: r/nvidia)

rebate.msicomputer.com redirects to... Starlit Partner.

6 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

can you explain this to me im a big dumb dumb lol

Both domains are registered with same company, while not something by itself but with everything else this is what I would call rather suspect. So we have old official documents from MSI which looks to show they own MSI Computer Corp and the domains for both companies from what I can tell are registered with the same company and I would hazard a guess the person doing that is the same for both. If you want to hide referential information like this it would have been much smarter to not register msicomputer.com using Network Solutions, LLC.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Both domains are registered with same company, while not something by itself but with everything else this is what I would call rather suspect. So we have old official documents from MSI which looks to show they own MSI Computer Corp and the domains for both companies from what I can tell are registered with the same company and I would hazard a guess the person doing that is the same for both. If you want to hide referential information like this it would have been much smarter to not register msicomputer.com using Network Solutions, LLC.

what about the microsoft license part

4 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

what about the microsoft license part

Any website hosted using IIS that has user authentication requires a Microsoft External Connector license which is wicked expensive. You do not need this so long as you do not do any user authentication, their site has user authentication.

The saddest part about this is that considering MSI's past history, them scalping on ebay isn't that unbelievable. They tried to bribe reviewers into not publishing negative reviews, so scalping GPUs doesn't seem that far fetched.