Reddit user discovers msi scalping own 3080s on ebay for massive profits

I'm honestly pretty skeptical of this. The AIB companies are run by competent people, if they want to scalp their own cards, no way in hell we would find out. They'd make sure every track is covered, especially considering how damaging it would be to their brand.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

37 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Domain Name: msicomputer.com

Isn't msicomputer.com operated by actual MSI though? It just redirects to msi.com

I think I've missed where people are getting msicomputer.com from?

The ebay store's website domain is starlitpartner.com, which was registered through godaddy. The title for the page is Shop @ MSI and the website looks rather crappy. 

Domain Name: STARLITPARTNER.COM
Registry Domain ID: 2051021434_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com
Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
Updated Date: 2018-08-06T23:30:46Z
Creation Date: 2016-08-09T22:24:44Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2023-08-09T22:24:44Z
Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 146
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse@godaddy.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: 480-624-2505
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
Domain Status: clientRenewProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientRenewProhibited
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited
Name Server: NS05.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
Name Server: NS06.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
DNSSEC: unsigned
URL of the ICANN Whois Inaccuracy Complaint Form: https://www.icann.org/wicf/
>>> Last update of whois database: 2020-10-07T02:38:01Z <<<

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

OP on reddit included some dumb PM from a completely random guy who decided that this is not real all on his own and then links to a thread where someone was "scammed" because they received an open product on Amazon. Receiving open products is completely normal on Amazon. Customers bullshit Amazon all the time and return items for a full refund while returning the wrong item. That is not proof that the guy was scammed.

Apparently the listings have also been removed. I have a feeling this company is going to vanish and MSI will say that they're scammers who were taken care off. We are talking about an insanely large company. If this had kept going they'd have easily went out of business and Nvidia and AMD both would stop trading with them.

If anything Steve said in his video is true about them then this is completely normal behaviour for MSI.

I genuinely hope there will be further proof that gets them taken out of business for good.

The lawyer who filed the Starlit trademark is real and has several profiles all over the internet. It is very hard to believe that this is all just fake.

Here is his official lawyer page confirming he is licensed:

http://members.calbar.ca.gov/fal/Licensee/Detail/233284

Are we meant to believe that a licensed lawyer was hired by a scammer and he was so dumb and incompetent that he did not realize he was helping a scammer pretend to be an international corporation that will take a shit all over his license should this be found?

I doubt it.

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Isn't msicomputer.com operated by actual MSI though? It just redirects to msi.com

I believe it is from MSI Computing Corporation which is the company that owns the trademark to Starlit Partner (the account name used on the eBay and amazon accounts).

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

I had been a long time MSI fan and used a lot of there products the last 15-20 years almost exclusively... if this turns out to be factually accurate... I won't buy from them or recommend there name for anything. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

11 minutes ago, Spotty said:

The ebay store's website domain is starlitpartner.com, which was registered through godaddy. The title for the page is Shop @ MSI and the website looks rather crappy. 

http://rebate.msicomputer.com/App/StoreFront/StoreFront.aspx

13 minutes ago, Spotty said:

I was tracing it back through this URL someone posted, http://rebate.msicomputer.com/App/StoreFront/shop_Contact.aspx

Which if you go to it you'll see why, because it's both MSI Computer and Starlit Partner

@BritTechTips who's video did you post? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

4 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

@BritTechTips who's video did you post? 

The video was just set to private, but it looks like it's now public again (but that may change again)

It's a video from Average Tech Reviews a rather small channel with only a few hundred subscribers.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

The video was just set to private, but it looks like it's now public again (but that may change again)

It's a video from Average Tech Reviews a rather small channel with only a few hundred subscribers.

Right now I think he is praying this is correct and didn't just royally screw up.

MSI is going live on YT in 9 hours. Their chat will probably be blowing up with people asking for comment on this. Though I have a feeling they're going to be cancelling this altogether later.

Dell was also taking backorders for a PNY RTX 3090 with an asking price of $1915.99. PNY lists this card on their site for $1599. They didn’t have a shipping date either.

Dell’s Quote:

B7ACA77D-ECB9-452F-9536-311B92F3912A.thumb.jpeg.eb34366a9f057d104619fd33f4029f28.jpeg

Edited by Jet_ski
Apparently memoryexpress prices are in CAD not USD.

4 minutes ago, Jet_ski said:

Please don't try to derail the topic. These retailers are allowed to price the goods at whatever price they like. The MSRP is meant to be recommended. This has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

Just now, leadeater said:

Right now I think he is praying this is correct and didn't just royally screw up.

Watching the video now that it's back up again, and he does say that it's suspicious and just pointing it out. He acknowledges that it's just a claim and looks at the company name and address that points to MSI HQ and says that "this helps validate the claim" that it's actually MSI.

It's obvious he's new to youtube and he only has a couple of videos on his channel and there's only 330 views on this video currently. He wouldn't have the contacts at MSI, Nvidia, etc to confirm this sort of thing with. His video is really just commentary and speculation on what he sees, and from what he shows in the video I think it's fair for him to come to the conclusion he did.

From the video description (in case it gets pulled again), looks like this was added later

I'm new to this, go easy on me - yes you are all right, I should have verified the info before running with it, but it is what it is. All content in this video is speculation at this point - no actual hard proof exists - yet, if those details come out I'll update this video with a follow up. In this video we observe shady business practices regarding Starlit Partners selling overpriced Nvidia RTX 3080's to customers on ebay.

If this turns out to not be true then I wouldn't hold it against the guy who posted that video.

At least he's not like some trashy rumour youtube channels that pretend they have insider sources and knows all the facts. I'm sure they'll have a field day with this.

Hmm, kinda hoping this is all a big misunderstanding as I've been really happy with my MSi products and their customer service in the past. I've only started catching up on what's new in the past week or so, so I missed the whole review scandal... But if they are actually scalping customers then major shame on them, but it doesn't mean I'm going to pass over what they have to offer.

7 minutes ago, Jet_ski said:

MSI also directs you to buy their products from MemoryExpress.com who charge $1049-1099 for RTX 3080s that are supposed to be $700-750.

It's pretty common for manufacturer websites to direct to retail stores where their products are sold. The prices on retailer websites can change daily, or even hourly. The manufacturer isn't responsible for the sales practices of those retailers. If you think MemoryExpress is price gouging then take it up with MemoryExpress.

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

If this turns out to not be true then I wouldn't hold it against the guy who posted that video

True, I mean it seems he is worried about the correctness of it to have made it private at some point. If it's not then a follow vid saying so is all that is needed. Not reporting on something just because you're afraid of the consequences if wrong isn't right, so long as you did your best to verify the story.

7 minutes ago, Jet_ski said:

MSI also directs you to buy their products from MemoryExpress.com who charge $1049-1099 for RTX 3080s that are supposed to be $700-750. The kicker is they are backordering it without a shipping date; basically charging you extra now for what they won’t even have in stock for weeks/months!!

MSI directing me to a site that is asking for a 40% premium over MSRP!!

Just an FYI.  Memory Express is a Canadian company, so their prices are in Canadian Dollars.  I think if you take a 799 USD price and convert it to CDN, you get 1064.19.

Something to think on before you get all angry. :)

That's clever. Trashy, but clever.

Or maybe not so clever since they got caught.

In real life, I act like I know less about tech than I actually do.

Main build: CPU: AMD Phenom ii X4 955 Black Edition @ 4,0GHz (Cooler Master 212) | GPU: MSI RX580 8Gb | RAM: 12Gb DDR3 | PSU: Chieftec CTB-500S  | Mobo: Asus M4A87TD/USB3 | Storage: Seagate 500Gb HDD

Yes, I'm aware my CPU is a huge bottleneck. No, I don't really care.

Laptop: Asus TUF FX505DT 60Hz 8Gb model

"Fortifications, cannons and foreign aid won't help unless every man knows that he himself is a guardian of his country"

-Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim

here's the link from the USPTO with the trademark. I was wondering if Justia pulled the address from somewhere else but it looks like they did not. I feel like at this point there's no chance this isn't tied with MSI, I can't imagine the patent/trademark office accidentally letting some scammers register a trademark with a fake address pretending to be a different company lmao

that link doesn't work oops, here's a screenshot of the page, but you can search for it with the serial number and find it on the .gov websiteimage.thumb.png.4afc08a934c9b1c843cb6d2bb6692e78.png

CPU: AMD 3600X

GPU: Nvidia 3070 (planned)

motherboard: MSI B500-A PRO

memory: G Skill Ripjaws V 2x8 GB 3600Mhz CL16

PSU: EVGA B3 650@

Case: NZXT H510

wireless network adapter: intel ax200

6 minutes ago, Warin said:

Just an FYI.  Memory Express is a Canadian company, so their prices are in Canadian Dollars.  I think if you take a 799 USD price and convert it to CDN, you get 1064.19.

Something to think on before you get all angry. :)

That is my bad! I don’t know why they advertised it to me!

While I can't begrudge someone for finessing money anyway they can, this really is some crud ball stuff. And if it is found out to be true that MSI are truly this level of scumbags, I pray no one buys another thing from them.

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)