LTT Official Folding Month 2020!!!

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Luckily when I said it was almost done, I really meant it. 

For the last time in 2020, ladles and gentlespoons, here a blog post.

And with that said, it's a wrap! Thank you for everyone getting involved, if you'd like to continue talking about folding why not head over to The Folding Community Board

We got the love data, validation in progress

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

@Den-Fi WTF, is that a kind WU or you just happy to see me? 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Interesting find. Enabling CPU folding did this to three of my GPU's. They have not recovered from the performance drop. I have a Ryzen 7 3700X.

Screenshot_56.png.e6b4495ee2a421397f99d19082539c67.png

Current Build

I guess I win the folding month timeline easter egg prize.  I beat @Den-Fi!

As for water cooling, it helps on something like a gaming workload, where everything spikes at different times and doesn't stay fully loaded.  The reason for this is heat soak…kinda like having a much larger heat sink would do.

In general, air is better for sustained loads, since there are less required material heat transfers, and no pump.  However, water cooling will always win if airflow isn't good in the case and you move the rad to someplace where the airflow is decent.  I feel most people here who build dedicated folding rigs are either doing open bench/mining type chassis builds, or have great airflow cases, or fold with the side off normally.  So, for any of those, air would be slightly more efficient, unless the air cooler is too small and a radiator wouldn't be.

2 minutes ago, justpoet said:

I guess I win the folding month timeline easter egg prize.  I beat @Den-Fi!

As for water cooling, it helps on something like a gaming workload, where everything spikes at different times and doesn't stay fully loaded.  The reason for this is heat soak…kinda like having a much larger heat sink would do.

In general, air is better for sustained loads, since there are less required material heat transfers, and no pump.  However, water cooling will always win if airflow isn't good in the case and you move the rad to someplace where the airflow is decent.  I feel most people here who build dedicated folding rigs are either doing open bench/mining type chassis builds, or have great airflow cases, or fold with the side off normally.  So, for any of those, air would be slightly more efficient, unless the air cooler is too small and a radiator wouldn't be.

I only have AIOs cause I got them stupid cheap... 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

@LazyDevDAM U lol now i gotta find more power...

My EOC F@H stats | My F@H Stats | My Real time F@H Production | My Boinc Stats

My team in point Generation order:

- Bender: Corsair CARBIDE 600C | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | Noctua NH-U14H | 1TB Toshiba SSD | EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070LHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | EVGA FTW 3070FHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 1000 Gold SSR-1000FX | 55" Samsung 120Hz 3D TV

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Scooty-Puff: Alienware M15R5 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7-5800H | 64GB DDR4-3200 | PC711 & WD SN750 SE 1TB | 3070M | 240 Watt ACadapter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Omicron_Persei_8: Dell G5 5511 | Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS | Intel i7-11800 | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1x512GB BC711 & 2TB Intel 660p | 3060M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Calculon (MainTower): Fractal Design Meshify S2 White | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 3900x | 32GB DDR4-3200 TridentZ RGB | Noctua NH-D15 | 1x SN750SE | AMD 5700XT XFX Rx-57XT8OFF6 | Gigabyte X570 WiFi Pro | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold SSR-750FX | 2x Dell S3422DWG & Dell U2715H & Dell U2917W

- Leela:  Fractal Design Focus G Blue | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz | AMD Wraith cooler | Toshiba KSG60ZMV256G | EVGA 2060 KO | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold SSR-650-FX | 

Honorable Mentions:

- iZac (Server): Fractal Design Node 804 | Win 11 Pro | Ryzen 5700G | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | AMD Wraith Prism

5x1TB NVME | 2x2TB 7x4TB 1x 8TB SATA HDD | ASROCKRACK x470D4U | RM750i PSU | NO Monitor

- Nibbler: Framework 16 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7 7840HS | 16" 2560x1600 | 64 GB RAM DDR5-5600 | 2TB WD SN770m & 2TB Seagate FireCuda 530 | AMD 780M  | 180Watt ACadapter

2023 Model 3 Ryzen APU | 2TB Samsung T7

Useful stuff i may mention

F@H Babysitter | F@H in the Dark | HFM Setup

1 hour ago, LAR_Systems said:

I mean if we're just making up stuff obviously the best F@H cooling solution is a 8X 3090 rig with a corsair nuclear reactor to power those GPUs resting in an Olympic sized swimming pool full of liquid nitrogen cooling that has RGB. 

I don't have any spares of that gear right now to prove it, but if I did... believe me... that would be a show stopper that would only need to work once in a million to prove it was the best idea for cooling a rig. 😂   

There's a difference between my realistic comment and your sarcastic unrealistic comment. I would if I could but can't right now, else I actually would. If you have a donor unit I'd be more than happy to try ;) Good luck on doing your sarcastic comment w/o going to jail with a nuclear reactor, because we both know you likely won't get permits to use one. If you want to insult someone at least try to make it relevant and at least can be attempted.

And I might just do it just to irritate you, however it won't be as jank as the youtubers do it because I want it to be long term. My current freezer would be a good donor unit it's old but not too old I already have it and if all else fails it'll cost me no extra money to get rid of it if it doesn't work, which fyi I can't see that happening because fyi chest freezers are stupidly good at their jobs. Good luck with your nuclear reactor, when do you expect to get that up and running? 3030?

1 hour ago, LAR_Systems said:

You might not want to be publishing  refrigeration advice if you know you have a known leak and don't replace the $20 door seal, then defrost your chest freezer with it plugged in and running as you seem to be implying. 

Or you have a model that does not run the compressor when the lid is open wide enough, in which case it's not the same as it running under load continuously and does not prove the point you were trying to make. ;)

On a personal note, not all repair shops are scammers, more often then not it's peoples misuse and not reading the instructions on appliances that lead to common breakdowns, then not wanting to hear they did something wrong and passing the blame on to the repair person "THAT MUST BE SCAMMING THEM" when it's time to literally pay for their mistakes.

Felt the urge to comment on this originally as it seemed to be framed more as a crazy, but sort of practical F@H rig cooling question / thought that might be looking for an answer and thought I could help out.  My mistake.

Actually it's the door not the seal some fool put something heavy on it damaging it shortly after getting it 😒 (not me so don't even bother accusing me), I don't need to fix the seal I just put something like a big can of soup and it is fixed, didn't know about it for about 2 years which caused the ice build up, as to my other part of the comment I took everything out of the freezers top part because I knew the bottom would be fine and threw it in the fridge (or it's freezer what could fit) to prevent immediate defrosting, the unit kicked on maybe 1 extra time than normal, warm day AC not yet installed, that didn't come for another 2 years I think. You clearly don't give enough credit where credit is due for chest freezers.

Nope it's a cheap unit, no fancy features as stated above it kicked on.

Yea, no. I know many are not scammers but it's literately built around scamming people, dryer motherboard dies $100 + $300 (80 call out charge) to fix it just out of warranty, did nothing wrong to the machine it was gas and randomly produced an error one day, and did everything proper to maintain it looked up the code, everything. Can't tell me someones time is worth about $400 a hour plus parts, called several places since we knew exactly what was wrong, similar pricing. While your family may not be scammers the industry itself is. Also that was a contractor/worker from the place we bought it from(or the manufacture I forget now), said person didn't need to touch the gas parts at all, else the price would be justifiable because I looked it up, and yes you could do it yourself at home and able to buy the board as well, at least they didn't charge extra for the part. Look at CBCs marketplace if you want more proof, but considering you have family in the business you'll likely deny anything about it. However yes, I have seen people claim being scammed when they did wrong, still doesn't change the industry as a whole.

No you felt the urge to try to prove a point, a point that is potentially true but equally potentially not, based on facts from events that have absolutely nothing to do with what I was talking about originally. Helping out would have been actually discussing how it may or may not work or if it could work how one could go by doing it. You literally went out of your way to say basically no it can't be done by any means by using family working in the field and assuming I would be dumb enough to let a unit run 24/7 that is clearly not built to do so, Also who says that pump won't last 5 years running 24/7? You? How would you know, you didn't make it you don't know the model, you are assuming. I know how freezers work, possibly better than you, in fact I could even say yes to that, because I knew what I was doing with the freezer door open because I've had to do similar acts in the past on a different freezer, I would never leave my fridge freezer door open to clean it out, but it doesn't get ice buildup so that never happens, use to have a old one years ago that did tho.

So how about proving me wrong threw math (I love being proved wrong, it means I'm not perfect), read up about thermodynamics (and how chest freezers work) then do the math with say a 20 sqft unit full of frozen items at 80% packing efficiency, your choice of internal thermal settings as long as it is not obviously too low or off and incoming thermals of 40C (how it is achieved is irrelevant) that has any diameter of your choice inside so long it is not a single tube going straight down as that could create a hot spot. I know you won't do it, but it'll be interesting if you did, because I basically would have to do that in order to figure out how to go about doing it and how many cards said freezer could cool, one might even find a freezer full of -20 air is enough to cool 10 cards w/o kicking on too many times, unlikely but won't know till the math is done or one tries it(trust me it'll be the first thing I would try). That's the point even if you knew everything about freezers doesn't mean you know everything about what I was suggesting or wanting to accomplish, I'm guessing you were assuming I wanted to push out near 0 temps, while ideal I know it likely won't happen due to the time likely spent in the freezer, jumping to conclusions when not talking in person/phone/live chat is a bad idea. Maybe I wanted/was suggesting to take the temp down 15C from 40 to 25 the 20sqft freezer shouldn't have a issue providing adequate cooling w/o killing itself it that case, and saying no it won't w/o proof is really not a good idea because like I said it only takes 1 attempt out of any number whether it be the first try or the 1 millionth try to prove you wrong. You even said no to a water cooled mineral oil setup because I'm guessing you somehow assuming it's only mineral oil and nothing else, see the issues that happen when one jumps to conclusions?

Now I'm not going to bother replying to anymore comments about this because it is OT, but I was being serious and still am that a freezer could still be a potential cooler for folding equipment if done right, unless you do the math to prove to me it won't work, then I will. Enjoy 🍻

34 minutes ago, cbigfoot said:

@LazyDevDAM U lol now i gotta find more power...

Wait... we finding more power? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Wait... we finding more power? 

I have a friend that might have some horsepower to borrow

- Bender: Corsair CARBIDE 600C | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | Noctua NH-U14H | 1TB Toshiba SSD | EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070LHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | EVGA FTW 3070FHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 1000 Gold SSR-1000FX | 55" Samsung 120Hz 3D TV

- Scooty-Puff: Alienware M15R5 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7-5800H | 64GB DDR4-3200 | PC711 & WD SN750 SE 1TB | 3070M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Omicron_Persei_8: Dell G5 5511 | Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS | Intel i7-11800 | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1x512GB BC711 & 2TB Intel 660p | 3060M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Calculon (MainTower): Fractal Design Meshify S2 White | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 3900x | 32GB DDR4-3200 TridentZ RGB | Noctua NH-D15 | 1x SN750SE | AMD 5700XT XFX Rx-57XT8OFF6 | Gigabyte X570 WiFi Pro | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold SSR-750FX | 2x Dell S3422DWG & Dell U2715H & Dell U2917W

- Leela:  Fractal Design Focus G Blue | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz | AMD Wraith cooler | Toshiba KSG60ZMV256G | EVGA 2060 KO | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold SSR-650-FX | 

Honorable Mentions:

- iZac (Server): Fractal Design Node 804 | Win 11 Pro | Ryzen 5700G | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | AMD Wraith Prism

5x1TB NVME | 2x2TB 7x4TB 1x 8TB SATA HDD | ASROCKRACK x470D4U | RM750i PSU | NO Monitor

- Nibbler: Framework 16 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7 7840HS | 16" 2560x1600 | 64 GB RAM DDR5-5600 | 2TB WD SN770m & 2TB Seagate FireCuda 530 | AMD 780M  | 180Watt ACadapter

Just now, cbigfoot said:

I have a friend that might have some horsepower to borrow

I hate you

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I am sad .. after 1 month of folding continuously I was hoping for 1 billion points, but due to the hiccups this I will be just bellow :( by (most likely) between 1-2 million .. so close :( but so far away. 

image.png.99cacb6e5389a9053c00403fca843de9.png

Just now, rodarkone said:

I am sad .. after 1 month of folding continuously I was hoping for 1 billion points, but due to the hiccups this I will be just bellow :( by (most likely) between 1-2 million .. so close :( but so far away. 

image.png.99cacb6e5389a9053c00403fca843de9.png

Don't beat yourself up, the difference is easily accounted for in the change of WU difficulty over the past week. 

You got the power, but the assignment server gods were not on board.    But there's always next month!

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

24 minutes ago, LazyDev said:

Just had one the best updates in quite a while.

Screenshot_57.png.c33e215283878d45c42f9b9045a09f77.png

Reported for overclocking. 😂🤣

Honorable Mentions:

3 minutes ago, cbigfoot said:

Reported for overclocking. 😂🤣

*Unlicensed overclocking.

I did not see approval from Den-Fi to overclock those RX 580s...

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

The 12 pin connector to single 8 pin adaptor on the 3070FE is daft through, at least I can request a free 12 pin cable from Seasonic.

14 minutes ago, Black Sallet said:

The 12 pin connector to single 8 pin adaptor on the 3070FE is daft through, at least I can request a free 12 pin cable from Seasonic.

I know. I have a NZXT H1 - which came with a NZXT PSU, i'm sure it is a seasonic branded one but can't claim a cable as NZXT arent going to make one

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

That 12 pin connector is just Nvidia been a knob. They were the market leaders, so they could pull this sort of connector off that probably won't catch on. Have to see how Radeon makes changes in the near future. If those Radeons outperform a 3080 on F@H, then AMD have sold me.

Current Build

5 minutes ago, LazyDev said:

That 12 pin connector is just Nvidia been a knob. They were the market leaders, so they could pull this sort of connector off that probably won't catch on. Have to see how Radeon makes changes in the near future. If those Radeons outperform a 3080 on F@H, then AMD have sold me.

the annoying thing is that the 3070 only uses one 8pin and there is plenty of space for the 8pin on the card?

also the AIB partners are using 8pin connectors so makes no sense.

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro