Microsoft experimenting with free version of Windows 8.1

AlexGoesHigh

Depends can I still use my Win 7? If so, yeah I will load this dumb OS to play the new DirectX games only, on their new DirectX on another partition. That is about all I would do with Win 8.1 though. 

If I can't use my Win 7 install anymore? No thanks. Win 8 is intrusive enough before all these dumb aps. I am still hoping game devs go OpenGL. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

One of the silliest things I've read all day. Win8 is strikingly similar to Win7 in almost every respect, with a number of performance improvements, and many of the complaints people were having with Win8 were fixed with Win8.1, which they are now offering for free. I fail to understand your logic.

Its not that difficult, really. Some people want an actual pc operating system on their pc. Windows 8 is an operating system designed from the ground up for tablets and unless you are on a tablet its an unnecessary pain in the ass. I tried Windows 8 for a month before I couldn't take it anymore and for the most part, everyone I've asked feels the same way and wants to switch back to windows 7. Another good reason is I despise Microsoft's push for a "walled garden" OS with a burning passion. I don't need microsoft's approval before I can use my PC the way I want to use it. 

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

still wouldnt take one off the shelf. I love my windows 7. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

People are still crying over widows 8...Its a damn computer and if you even remotely call yourself an enthusiast you would customize it to your liking. There are so many damn ways to make windows look better. Windows 8 is faster and more stable that 7, sure it looks ugly but you can always fix that.

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

I got windows 8 for $40 when they had the upgrade sale thing going. Bought a couple. At $40 its a great value

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Its not that difficult, really. Some people want an actual pc operating system on their pc. Windows 8 is an operating system designed from the ground up for tablets and unless you are on a tablet its an unnecessary pain in the ass. I tried Windows 8 for a month before I couldn't take it anymore and for the most part, everyone I've asked feels the same way and wants to switch back to windows 7. Another good reason is I despise Microsoft's push for a "walled garden" OS with a burning passion. I don't need microsoft's approval before I can use my PC the way I want to use it. 

Yeah did the trial. No games ran faster except BF4. No work software ran faster. The only thing it did better was boot faster. Everything else ran slightly worse, or gave me no reason to upgrade, along with compatibility issues. The "lower ram usage" is BS. You can tweak 7 to use less. 

Unpark cores on 7 = same damn thing in all games as Win 8.1, and you don't even need to do that on a 4 core like an I5. 

When the only reason to upgrade is 1 game (BF4) that runs slightly better, due to MS withholding the new DirectX from 7, when the new DirectX could run on 7. No thanks.

In addition I also put the trial on wife/kids computer. They hated it.  Also I am so sick of the MS astroturfers calling tech people "non tech savvy" and all the other BS, that I refuse to get it on principle alone. Maybe if MS spent more money on software people liked, treated their customers well, instead of propaganda? Win 8 wouldn't be such a turd. 

In before I get called a "non enthusiast" by a shareholder, employee of MS on my crappy OC 4770k, as someone that has used MS OS's as far back as MS-DOS. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Software does start and perform faster on Windows 8. Doesn't show if you have a over the top high-end computer like yours.

But people that are not uber rich like you, who can't afford a new computer every 6 months. The performance is visible.

My laptop really shows this. I get in games like StarCraft 2, a full 10fps more.. that's from barely playable at minimum setting, to playing the game comfortably.

Every other game on my laptop and desktop got a nice 5 to 10fps increase with Windows 8. Fraps confirmed.

Anything that runs on Windows 7 runs on Windows 8.

http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/The-Defrag-Show/20140219Defrag

DirectX 11 is available on Windows 7.

You put no one on trial. You lie. You are closed minded. Every point I fully proved you wrong on any other posts, you continue to repeat the same false info.

I won't be surprised if you were part of the group of people complaining, up to day how GUI OS is inferior in every single way, and that terminal is ay easier to use, more productive, and all that crap. The world moved on.

People are still crying over widows 8...Its a damn computer and if you even remotely call yourself an enthusiast you would customize it to your liking. There are so many damn ways to make windows look better. Windows 8 is faster and more stable that 7, sure it looks ugly but you can always fix that.

If I wanted endless customization, I'd pick Linux over Windows.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I would get it. 

I'll be fair here, the tiles are what prevented me from getting it, but seeing all of these tweaks convert it back into a true Windows environment, I'm curious into trying it.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

If windows 8.1 becomes free there's literally no reason to NOT recommend it.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

hello guys 

just read that windows 8.1 could be made free to compete with google's chrome os

according to the verve microsoft are planning on releasing "windows 8.1 with bing"

full artical is here --->   http://gadgetshow.channel5.com/gadget-show/gadget-news/watch-out-chromebooks-windows-81-could-go-free

so whats your opinion would you change from windows 7 to 8.1 when becomes free or would you stick to windows 7

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

I like how Windows 8 looks compared to 7.(not the Modern UI)

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Where's "maybe"?

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Where's "maybe"?

poll updated

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

I updated to Windows 8.1 for a few reasons, one - I had a pirated Windows 7, and the upgrade to 8.1 was free.

Also, Microsoft has stated they are stopping support on Win 7 ASAP. They hated how long Windows XP lasted, and refuse to let 7 last just as long.

Extended support until January 14, 2020 (security updates), so people have plenty of time to upgrade, I doubt they will extend it further like they did with XP but they are committed until that date.

I don't like 8.1, but if it's free I might snag a copy just in case I do another build and don't want to use a pirated copy of 7. 

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

But Windows 8.1 is faster,has DX11.2 , better task manager,snap feature,notifications, and more.

Windows 8.1 is better then Windows 7 in every way.

I don't like the start screen. I tries to get used to it (uninstalled Windows 7 for a few months) but it annoyed me every single day.

If they will let me be on the desktop without ever leaving it then I would gladly upgrade. Right now though, you need to open up the terrible start screen every time you want to search for a program.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

wow...

you don t change because the last iteration doesn t work, you change because it s better, just like how a axe works for cutting a tree, yet most are using a chainsaw.

win8 is just faster than win7 w/o any drawbacks.

BUT this isn t the real win8 we re talking about here, it s probably a crippled bing filled version that no one wants.

maybe even just a renamed windows RT.

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

Windows 8.1 is awesome for a normal human being...but It's the overclocker worst nightmare-> ireversible "user service cannot be loaded" after an unstable OC... 

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

I don't like the start screen. I tries to get used to it (uninstalled Windows 7 for a few months) but it annoyed me every single day.

If they will let me be on the desktop without ever leaving it then I will be fine with it. Right now though, you need to open up the terrible start screen every time you want to search for a program.

not rly, i use win8 and never see that screen, just create shortcuts on your desktop. or a thing like start is back.

also idk why people hate win8 menu that much... it isn t eyegauging or anything, it s just a fullscreen search box.

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

not rly, i use win8 and never see that screen, just create shortcuts on your desktop.

Oh God no. I don't want a cluttered desktop. I would need something like 50 shortcuts on my desktop (compared to the 3 I got today) to have quick access to all my programs. It's actually faster for me to press the Windows button, type a few letters and press enter than it is to move my mouse to the correct icon and double click. Having a ton of shortcuts would make my desktop a lot less organized, and also slower to use.

also idk why people hate win8 menu that much... it isn t eyegauging or anything, it s just a fullscreen search box.

It's really jarring when it appears. I don't get why it's a full screen search box. In Windows 7 I can have several programs open at all time, and always be able to monitor them. Having all programs suddenly become hidden for like a second is completely pointless.

Just let me launch programs without having to hide the programs I am working with for crying out loud.