Cyberpunk 2077 will only run with DirectX 12

Vishera

Summary

Cyberpunk 2077 will exclusively use the DX12 API,meaning that Windows 8 and 8.1 won't be able to run the game.

CDPR explains that the decision came to be due to DX12 being the standard API for XBOX and has DXR which they had plans for.

Quotes

Thanks to the introduction of DX12 support for Windows 7 SP1 that Microsoft introduced last year, the game will run on this system.

We do, and will continue to, test Cyberpunk 2077 on Windows 7 in an attempt to iron out any edge-cases that might arise.

Unfortunately, Windows 8 didn't receive its variant of DX12 libraries.

It's nice that they are implementing the Windows 7 version of DX12,

It's not something to take for granted since the Windows 7 version of DX12 is different than the normal version,

and you have to rely on the developer to implement it,as we all know a lot of developers don't give a damn about it.

Poor Windows 8 and 8.1 users will have to find a different way to play Cyberpunk 2077,Windows 7's popularity is paying off for it's users.

Regarding DX12 Ultimate, Cyberpunk 2077 will work absolutely fine with all DX12-compatible GPUs.

What the "Ultimate" feature set does is it allows us to do more if the hardware allows for it.

We opted to go with DX12 for two main reasons. Firstly, it is the standard API for the Xbox platforms, and with the game also coming to Xbox One, we naturally wanted to have it implemented as soon as possible. Secondly, it is the birthplace of DXR, and given we had plans to invest in DXR very early on, that made the choice to go with DX12 a pretty straightforward one.

Using DX12 makes sense since it's easier to use one API for as many platforms as possible.

Sources

https://www.guru3d.com/news_story/cyberpunk_2077_will_only_run_with_directx_12.html

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

No surprises here.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Let's be real.

Cyberpunk 2077 will run on DirectX 77 in the year 2077.

On Intel 14nm+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++.

Just now, Den-Fi said:

14nm+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++.

You forgot one more +

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

You forgot one more +

No.

I didn't.

Just now, Den-Fi said:

No.

I didn't.

Fair point.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Oh, DX12 only? I can't even play it then. Literally no DX12 games run on my GPU, even though it's "technically" compatible. Whenever I try to enable DX12 in a game, it either crash or fails.

I guess I'll just watch someone play it on Youtube when it comes out. Not going to buy a new GPU when I barely play games these days, just for a single game.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, TetraSky said:

Oh, DX12 only? I can't even play it then. Literally no DX12 games run on my GPU, even though it's "technically" compatible. Whenever I try to enable DX12 in a game, it either crash or fails.

AMD neglected the legendary 7970 when it comes to driver support,it's not surprising since they moved to RDNA and the 7970 is very old.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

17 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Using DX12 makes sense since it's easier to use one API for as many platforms as possible.

Lets not forget about poor Vulkan over there sitting in the corner, which will run on pretty much anything recent. Which also recently got Ray Tracing Support.

I wouldn't put it passed Sony or Microsoft to force there proprietary systems down developers throats though.

Maybe one day.

25 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Let's be real.

Cyberpunk 2077 will run on DirectX 77 in the year 2077.

On Intel 14nm+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++.

r/TheRealJoke

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

By the time it's released, there will be DirectX 13, no?

Hope this doesn't turn out to be another Duke Nukem Forever. Starship Citizen was already a big enough disappointment. Nobody should have to relive that hype fail.

11 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Hope this doesn't turn out to be another Duke Nukem Forever. Starship Citizen was already a big enough disappointment. Nobody should have to relive that hype fail.

I have seen a 5 hour walkthrough from one of the journalists that got to play the prologue.

It's amazing,you won't be disappointed

I hope the current release date is final :D.

52 minutes ago, StDragon said:

DNF or "Did Not Finish" was failure half way through the design. It was jaw dropping when it was still running on Unreal Engine and they made that jaw dropping trailer for it. They then changed like 5 more engines and end result is DNF that we got.

Cyberpunk 2077 on the other hand is basically finalized with a half a year delay and they are just ironing it out. I never had issues with that. And I wouldn't have even with 1 year delay if they had to. Remember, this is CDPR. If they delay something, they delay it because they know it could be better. Unlike a lot of companies that would just push the thing out (maybe) deal with the problems later. They feel like it's better to deal with them before players get their hands on it. It's nothing worse getting an AAA title and then being forced to stop playing because of some big game stopping bug or technical problems that ruin the experience. I had that with Crysis 2 and it seriously tainted entire experience with it. It was "just" a sound bug, but it was so god damn annoying it made game basically unplayable (video is actually mine, aaaah the 5:4 display goodness :D ).

They fixed it eventually which took almost a month. Which means I had a month long pause in an AAA game where you expect company to fix that shit out before it's released. And given how complex Cyberpunk 2077 is, I have no doubts that CDPR had to deal with a lot of really crazy bugs during the process and they felt the need to delay the release and polish it further. I respect game studios that are self aware enough to recognize that and decide to delay the game and fix things. And even if we still experience some and if they aren't game breaking, I'm not gonna be angry because of how complex endeavor Cyberpunk 2077 is. For as long as they iron out game stopping/breaking bugs.

That’s a shame. Windows 8 and 8.1 wasn’t really that bad, and now people who bought as an upgrade over 7 miss out.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

I had that with Crysis 2 and it seriously tainted entire experience with it. It was "just" a sound bug, but it was so god damn annoying it made game basically unplayable (video is actually mine, aaaah the 5:4 display goodness :D ).

I bought that game on release,never happened to me.

That bug seems hilarious right now but i am sure it was frustrating.

Thanks for sharing,i can't stop laughing,MOVE OUT,GO 😂

3 hours ago, Vishera said:

I bought that game on release,never happened to me.

That bug seems hilarious right now but i am sure it was frustrating.

Thanks for sharing,i can't stop laughing,MOVE OUT,GO 😂

It was funny and I thought it would go away on restarting the game or when new level would loud up. When the bug transitioned through level loads 2 more times, it stopped being funny...

Only appropriate. I find it funny this is even news. It's been years, no game should run on anything other than DX12 or Vulkan at this point. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

24 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Only appropriate. I find it funny this is even news. It's been years, no game should run on anything other than DX12 or Vulkan at this point. 

I hear you. I never really understood why DirectX 11 stuck around for so long.

Are there even GPU's sold in the last 3 years that don't support DX12?

17 hours ago, TetraSky said:

I guess I'll just watch someone play it on Youtube when it comes out. Not going to buy a new GPU when I barely play games these days, just for a single game.

hopefully the directx to vulkan guys get dx12 to vulkan working

20 minutes ago, maartendc said:

I hear you. I never really understood why DirectX 11 stuck around for so long.

Are there even GPU's sold in the last 3 years that don't support DX12?

Lazy devs. My 7y old GPU I had supported it. WoW is DX12 which is a 15y old game. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

51 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

there is still a massive amount of people outside of win 10, so its only natural, though i would prefer if vulkan was the one being used to allow other Os

39 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

there is still a massive amount of people outside of win 10, so its only natural, though i would prefer if vulkan was the one being used to allow other Os

I mean, who's fault is that? It's been 5y W10 exists, really more than half are on W10 though, also those clinging to W7 still there's DX12 support for it actually. Sucks that really old legacy support needs to be dragged like old APIs that are quite inefficient.

It's 2020. I really doubt that's the reason even, we know number of devs are lazy as far as things like this. But it's great we're moving on already with new games.

The whole sticking with 15 years old OS and everyone depending on those people, sorry but screw them. Just move on with the damn times. DX12 is supported by really ancient hardware and excusing it on OS is really lame. And the fact DX12 was out for so long and everyone still makes DX9 and DX11 games even today is just absurd. Not to mention it's holding progress back.

Does that mean Windows 7 ( right before it was announced EOL it got DX12 support) can run it but Windows 10 not?

Edit (  oops I overread that )

Edited by Drama Lama

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

12 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Cyberpunk 2077 on the other hand is basically finalized with a half a year delay and they are just ironing it out. I never had issues with that

Me too

I‘m totally fine waiting half a year when the producer doesn’t do the „ publish first fix it later strategy „

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler