New US Bill would require makers of encrypted devices to leave a backdoor

FootFetish

I mean software encryption would be not effected right? 

So bitlocker yes

encryption directly build into the drive‘s firmware not

Edited by Drama Lama

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

10 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

These morons do realise their own jobs & employment also heavily rely on encryption to keep secrets safe from prying eyes, right? It will suddenly become much easier to access that lost White House USB Drive or stolen pentagon laptop if every device has a built in backdoor.

As I've said in the past, let them pass it.

And within what, 48-72 hours of these backdoors being implemented, someone posts all of Congress' text messages to the internet?

Oh and look, online privacy just became a basic human right.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

6 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

As I've said in the pass, let them pass it.

And within what, 48-72 hours of these backdoors being implemented, someone posts all of Congress' text messages to the internet?

Oh and look, online privacy just became a basic human right.

That's exactly what I want to happen if this crap passes.

Just now, RejZoR said:

That's exactly what I want to happen if this crap passes.

It would pretty much have to happen. Assuming the manufacturers have the balls to go with malicious compliance and refused to make "exempted" devices for the government.

Which, if this law does pass, should not exist, at all.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

It would be hilarious if government agencies ban the use of devices with backdoors in them.

Makes me wonder why the US gov't didn't banned and sanctioned Cisco for the multiple backdoors in their networking equipment [here] [here] [here]

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

15 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

It would pretty much have to happen. Assuming the manufacturers have the balls to go with malicious compliance and refused to make "exempted" devices for the government.

Which, if this law does pass, should not exist, at all.

See below

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

one rule for me, another for them

This is the unfortunate status quo for government and law enforcement. They get privilege to break the rules they're there to create and enforce.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

12 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

This is the unfortunate status quo for government and law enforcement. They get privilege to break the rules they're there to create and enforce.

They think we are too distracted by other current events for us to notice that they are stripping us of our rights. It is time for a fundamental change in the way our country is governed, and this begins with American voters becoming educated  on our candidates.

Case : Cooler Master MB511 RGBMoBo : Asus TUF X570-Plus (WiFi)CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 2600XGPU : EVGA RTX 2070 Super FTW3 Gaming 8GBRAM : Corsair LPX 32 GB (2x16) DDR4-3200Storage (C:) : WD Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 (OS, Frequent Apps/Games)Storage (D:) : Seagate Barracuda 500 GB SATA SSD (Games)Storage (G:) : Seagate 1 TB 5400RPM HDD (Backups/Mass Storage/Photos)Cooling : Cooler Master ML240L RGB AIOMonitors : Dual MSI Optix MAG27CQ 27" 1440P @144hz (Custom Mounted)

If this bill passes, I wonder how many companies will just go "fuck the US then!" and not sell in the US so they don't have to have a backdoor and thus break encryption.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

That's a yikes imagine the "terrorism" card. Encryption btw but leave a hole btw haha. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

wow again after the last time it got no where?

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

This is stupid ignoring all the other aspects.  If there is a backdoor ANYONE can open it. It might not be easy to do, but a way will be found eventually.  Getting it open would become the IT holy grail. And it would eventually be cracked.  This will produce insane levels of problems.  It’s a foregone conclusion.  a short duration convenience with a gigantic eventual cost.  Lindsay Graham huh?  GOP leadership.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

12 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

-snip-

The scary part is that I can't tell if you're talking about the US or China.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

5 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

Why not both?

Personally I would like Federal and state level law enforcement in the USA to be able to access any ones data easily on any device through some means legally.

I want it to be fast and quick for them to be able to get that evidence.

I don't like the way everything digital seems to work against the victims but for the criminals and terrorists.

It shouldn't be a super hard up hill battle to collect digital evidence any more then it is for them to collect other forms of evidence.

Bad people will adjust to that back door pretty fast anyway so I feel why not catch the stupid ones quickly before they can hurt more people.

I want them to be able to use all this technology to do some good, something that really matters.

Just the way I feel about it.

7 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

As far as I can tell China is pretty overt about whether or not they are targeting their own citizens: They are, and their citizens and the rest of the world know they are, and they admit it. They do other stuff against their citizens that they try to keep a secret though.

The US is kind of the opposite. They'll talk all day long about successful cyber-operations they've waged against other governments, but ask them if they collect information on their own citizens and they get all "that's a secret"-y and "it's complicated"-y.

@Intergalacticbits That would be very nice, and I agree with your sentiment that it would be nice if governments could access data for which they have a warrant against a specific individual obtained from a judge in a public court. However, that's not how encryption works: Encryption is either secure or not, there really isn't a middle ground. 

If you design your encryption platforms such that there is a way to access the data as if it weren't encrypted, then there is no point in encrypting it in the first place, because you can just access the data as if it weren't encrypted anyway.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Just now, straight_stewie said:

As far as I can tell China is pretty overt about whether or not they are targeting their own citizens: They are, and their citizens and the rest of the world know they are, and they admit it. They do other stuff against their citizens that they try to keep a secret though.

The US is kind of the opposite. They'll talk all day long about successful cyber-operations they've waged against other governments, but ask them if they collect information on their own citizens and they get all "that's a secret"-y and "it's complicated"-y.

That’s part of how the CIA and the NSA were set up.  It’s in their charters.  The CIA is completely barred from doing things inside the US, and the NSA is completely barred from doing things outside the US.  The NSA has serious limitations on what it can and cannot do, and if the CIA wants to surveillance someone inside the US they feel is a bad actor they have to hand off to the NSA.  The NSA is even bigger on secrecy than the CIA is, So “secret” and “complicated”.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 minutes ago, Intergalacticbits said:

Personally I would like Federal and state level law enforcement in the USA to be able to access any ones data easily on any device through some means legally.

So it will get abused blatantly? No thanks..... (If you think it wont or cant be abused then i have burst your bubbles. It will be abused without a doubt.)

13 hours ago, RejZoR said:

You clearly don't understand what is at stake here. XDA doesn't change a damn thing. It's Google, Signal, Protonmail, Microsoft, all these companies and many more would be forced to built in encryption backdoors for US government agencies to tap in at any time without having to defeat encryption

My question is how would this effect things like Protonmail, and VPNs like Express/Nord?

Protonmail is hosted/based out of Switzerland, and protected via Swiss privacy laws, and VPN companies like Express/Nord (and I'm sure many others) are hosted abroad (British Virgin Isles, and Panama respectively). So they wouldn't have to comply with the US, would they?

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

7 minutes ago, Intergalacticbits said:

I don't like the way everything digital seems to work against the victims but for the criminals and terrorists.

It shouldn't be a super hard up hill battle to collect digital evidence any more then it is for them to collect other forms of evidence.

there is no way this is possible the math doesn't work that way.

well it helps everyone if you know how to use it.

encription is math no way around that. hell a 512 or 1024bit encryption is almost impossible to crack in any reasonable amount of time

we know what happens when they get access just go look at the early 2000s.

Did you forget about Snowden?

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

@Bombastinator Replace "NSA" with "FBI" and you have it correct.

Google search "Can the NSA conduct operations outside the US" and the first result (at least the first result for me) is from NSA.gov and says:

Under Section 702 of the FISA, NSA is authorized to target non-U.S. persons who are reasonably believed to be located outside the United States. The principal application of this authority is in the collection of communications by foreign persons that utilize U.S. communications service providers.

Clicking the second result you are taken to an NSA.gov FAQ of sorts, which is interesting...

1. What is Signals Intelligence?

SIGINT involves collecting foreign intelligence from communications and information systems and providing it to customers across the U.S. government, such as senior civilian and military officials. They then use the information to help protect our troops, support our allies, fight terrorism, combat international crime and narcotics, support diplomatic negotiations, and advance many other important national objectives.

NSA/CSS collects SIGINT from various sources, including foreign communications, radar and other electronic systems. This information is frequently in foreign languages and dialects, is protected by codes and other security measures, and involves complex technical characteristics. NSA/CSS needs to collect and understand the information, interpret it, and get it to our customers in time for them to take action. Our workforce is deeply skilled in a wide range of highly technical fields that allow them to this work, and they develop and employ state-of-the-art tools and systems that are essential to success in today's fast-changing communications and information environment. Our researchers are working constantly to help us anticipate and prepare for future developments.

The NSA was designed solely to conduct operations outside of the US. Hell, they are a part of the DoD...

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

2 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Google search "Can the NSA conduct operations outside the US" and the first result (at least the first result for me) is from NSA.gov and says:

Yeah, its pretty interesting how they think they have jurisdiction over ppl who are not US citizens and live on foreign ground......  It would be about time other countries give them a pretty harsh lesson how wrong they are.

11 minutes ago, Intergalacticbits said:

Bad people will adjust to that back door pretty fast anyway so I feel why not catch the stupid ones quickly before they can hurt more people.

I want them to be able to use all this technology to do some good, something that really matters.

Just the way I feel about it.

I understand where you're coming from, and you're intent, but that's just not feasible. The entire world is so far behind the curve on internet privacy laws it's already sickening. But if you give a powerhouse like the US a backdoor into everything encrypted, there's no way it's not going to be abused in every way shape and form.

IMHO, it's the equivalent of the government basically wanting to put cameras in every citizens house, but saying "we will only turn on the camera's with a warrant, because ya know, terrorism."

Not only is that impossible to regulate, now there's a giant security weak spot in your house, and since the Government is able to tap into it whenever, it's only a matter of time before criminals are able to tap into it too. I'm all for stopping terrorists and pedo's, but removing everyone's right to online privacy is not the way to do it. If anything we need significantly more privacy online.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

2 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

The NSA was designed solely to conduct operations outside of the US. Hell, they are a part of the DoD...

the issue is traffic automatically ends up going around the world. something on gmail or a google drive will get move in or out of the country for data protection  and be scooped up.

NAS claims to be international only but they do plenty domestically.