New US Bill would require makers of encrypted devices to leave a backdoor

FootFetish

Source: https://www.androidauthority.com/lawful-access-to-encrypted-data-1132922/

Summary: U.S. Senators introduce bill to force all tech firms to build and put backdoors on all encrypted devices so U.S. government can access them easily anytime and anywhere.

Quotes:

• The Lawful Access to Encrypted Data Act could be a crushing blow to privacy in the US.
  • The bill would require manufacturers to leave a backdoor that the government could access when needed.
  • There’s plenty of opposition to the bill from security and privacy advocates.

US Senators have introduced a new anti-encryption bill called the “Lawful Access to Encrypted Data Act,” which would require makers of encrypted devices and operating systems to leave a backdoor that could allow law enforcement to access encrypted information when requested. Basically, this means that all manufacturers would need to leave a backdoor in their encryption, which defeats the entire point of encryption in the first place.

The Lawful Access to Encrypted Data Act would bring an end to warrant-proof encryption in devices, platforms, and systems, which could be a huge deal for both companies who make encrypted services and devices and the users who enjoy the privacy offered by them, according to the plan laid out in the bill.

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham said, “Terrorists and criminals routinely use technology, whether smartphones, apps, or other means, to coordinate and communicate their daily activities.”

Graham went on: “This bill will ensure law enforcement can access encrypted material with a warrant based on probable cause and help put an end to the Wild West of crime on the internet.”

There are a few issues that would be a problem for end-users. First, there’s the argument of whether this is in violation of any rights to privacy. Second, there’s the issue that once a backdoor is purposefully left in for the use by law enforcement, that same backdoor could be found and exploited by more malicious individuals, thus making the encryption all but useless.

According to Bitcoin.com, Riana Pfefferkorn, associate director of surveillance and cybersecurity at the Center for Internet and Society at Stanford Law School, said that the bill is “a full-frontal nuclear assault on encryption in the United States.” That’s just about as terrifying as it sounds. Even if you’re not worried about the government gaining access to your private information because you’re not doing anything illegal, there are far worse people than the government that you need to worry about.

The bill can be find here: https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/press/rep/releases/graham-cotton-blackburn-introduce-balanced-solution-to-bolster-national-security-end-use-of-warrant-proof-encryption-that-shields-criminal-activity#:~:text=The Lawful Access to Encrypted Data Act would bring an,devices%2C platforms%2C and systems.&text=This type of “warrant-proof,the internet for illicit purposes.

My thoughts:

Hello, this is my first post just want to share with you guys. This bill is completely outrageous and unacceptable!

This is suck like for real. Tech firms have to build and put a backdoor on all their encrypted devices. This bill violate against privacy and security concerns. This is like begging hackers to exploit these backdoors. This will not going to stop criminals because criminals are just going to use it anyway. I wonder how the tech firms are going to response to this bill, and how Apple will going to response it as well.

14 minutes ago, FootFetish said:

The Lawful Access to Encrypted Data Act could be a crushing blow to privacy in the US. to the world.

FTFY. 

With this much power the US would NOT restrict themselves to only US citizens. Any person, regardless of nationality that uses a service or accesses anything that is based in the USA would be up for grabs

5 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

All of a sudden, Chinese phones look more appealing

Maybe that's why the US is trying to destroy Huawei

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Ok, presume I am one of these "baddies" who uses snapchat and twitter feed to coordinate attacks on various places... Please tell me; for the love of GOD what is to stop me from picking up a prepaid phone with cash at any dollar store or place with phones of this nature from before the bill hits?

please tell me; for the love of GOD what is to stop any smart person from finding away around this obvious blunder and illegal tactic by forcing people to build in hardware level backdoors into their manufactured equipment?

thirdly, please tell me for the love of GOD what is to stop an average joe with animosity towards a ruling body from becoming an agent of said ruling body and exploiting people's data through this "legal" technique? You're not ending the wild west of cyber-crime, you're becoming the chief enabler of a new era of cyber-crime.

Not every "bad guy" out there is average joe or james bond, it takes all types to do the acts they do. But looking before leaping to the lawmakers on this would be appreciated.

12 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Laughs in XDA

All of a sudden, Chinese phones look more appealing

You clearly don't understand what is at stake here. XDA doesn't change a damn thing. It's Google, Signal, Protonmail, Microsoft, all these companies and many more would be forced to built in encryption backdoors for US government agencies to tap in at any time without having to defeat encryption. All this is before it even reaches your garage cooked XDA stuff on your phone. Or shall I say right in the middle of it.

These idiots just don't realize that once you have a back door to things it becomes an exploitation vector and assuming or even thinking it'll only be used by the "good guys" is just brain dead way of thinking. Not to mention doing so defeats the purpose of encryption. Encryption is really the only trust method online and it's already often getting broken intentionally or unintentionally with MITM methods. Fiddling with this because of muh terrorism or muh pedophiles will ruin this trust entirely and we may just as well shut down the internet then. No sane person would ever pass this dumb bill, but given how many times they've already tried it, I'm guessing it'll pass at some point because they'll just be trying until it passes.

truthfuly the goverment as been breaking way more encrypted devices then cell phones for 50 plus years. this bill is a joke the NSA and other agancies can break them very easy because other govs encryption is way more secure then this how do i know i was in the army over 20 years ago and fixed encryption devices that are more bit rates for encryption then now its a smole screen just to have the law passed that they will be able to get into any one phone easyier then having to go to a different part of the gov to get it done

45 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

Haven't even been to the US and they want to track me. Jesus. I'm not even a criminal, nor do I intend to be become one. Privacy is like a joke. I hope Linux becomes more promenant if this law passes. A lot of distros aren't American, so they won't have to comply. Hope other countries don't get any bright ideas. US is turning into China.

We're dealing with the biggest, wealthiest, baddest, most highly skilled, and most evil threat actors that have ever existed. If they want it compromised, they will compromise it. These people literally infected every "computer", in the loosest sense possible, in the world with a virus because they wanted ONE centrifuge to spin slightly faster than it was supposed to (stuxnet). These are people that hijacked a shipment of CDs that contained PowerPoint slides intended for talkers at a technology convention (not even a hacking convention, mind you), and were able to modify the CDs such that it was undetectable that they were modified and so that they installed a persistent hypervisor that can completely sidestep any OS on the firmware in hard drives, just so that they could find out what one university professor was working on (EquationGroups first strike). They were then able to deploy this exploit remotely as a core part of the EquationDrug and later GrayFish platforms.

If they want it compromised AND it's legal for them to do so, or could even be mis-interpreted as required for them to compromise it, well then you can kiss any kind of privacy from any kind of hardware or software from anywhere in the world goodbye unless you both manufactured the hardware and wrote the software, and this includes the hardware and software used to manufacture or program said hardware/software.

This is the heinous world we live in where we allow absolutely massive secret societies to exist and be supported by secret courts, secret legislatures, and no budgetary constraints whatsoever.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Or perhaps Silicon Valley should just lobby and buy some congress people so that the bill never becomes law. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

55 minutes ago, Commodus said:

The good news is that it's a hyper-partisan Senate bill that would have to be matched by a bill in a House controlled by the opposite party.  Let's just hope that the House isn't fooled by those technically impossible requests.

The Dems also tried to do this several times in the past.  This isn't a political party thing.  This is a big government thing.  It needs to be shut down, hard.

Also, good luck keeping open source crypto out of the world.

Yeah, this won't go badly at all

Nuh-uh, never....

*cringe Harold intensifies*

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

"Encrypted Devices"

Details separate people.

So what's stopping the BadGuysTM to just use open source messaging software that remains encrypted and doesn't have a backdoor. Or am I missing something here?

7 minutes ago, NeuesTestament said:

So what's stopping the BadGuysTM to just use open source messaging software

Good guys with open source apps. That's how it works in the US, right? /s

It'll be interesting to see if they ever get a bill like that through.  This is not the first time and they likely  already have tech that borders on just as effective.  If I could be arsed I would read the actual bill,  more often than not they are not written the way the media tells you.  Like the Australian bill that was blown so far out of proportion that not a single news outlet reported it accurately.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

These morons do realise their own jobs & employment also heavily rely on encryption to keep secrets safe from prying eyes, right? It will suddenly become much easier to access that lost White House USB Drive or stolen pentagon laptop if every device has a built in backdoor.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

These morons do realise their own jobs & employment also heavily rely on encryption to keep secrets safe from prying eyes, right? It will suddenly become much easier to access that lost White House USB Drive or stolen pentagon laptop if every device has a built in backdoor.

Something tells me that they either didn't think of that when they made this, or they think that somehow this won't apply to them.

It would be hilarious if government agencies ban the use of devices with backdoors in them.

30 minutes ago, mr moose said:

It'll be interesting to see if they ever get a bill like that through.  This is not the first time and they likely  already have tech that borders on just as effective.  If I could be arsed I would read the actual bill,  more often than not they are not written the way the media tells you.  Like the Australian bill that was blown so far out of proportion that not a single news outlet reported it accurately.

Don't worry, wait until people realize the entire PKI structure of the internet using the same style of sensationalism thrown around as of late could also be described as having a backdoor. Public PKI is built on both explicit and implicit trust and it is with good reason why people say if the root CA's get breached in any way the entire house of cards falls down and everything is broken.

Yet we all consider and treat the public certificate structure as safe and secure so yea, we are very pick and choose over what we get outraged over and what we call back doors and whether or not something can actually be done in a secure way that still maintains access without an easily exploitable critical vulnerability that is 'just laying around waiting to be discovered'.

Just remember how magic shows work and slight of hand, you only see what you want to see and that is very easy to manipulate.

3 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

It would be hilarious if government agencies ban the use of devices with backdoors in them.

Like Huawei 5G equipment? And in some countries, you can't use a Huawei Phone if you work for the government.

There was never any proof there was anything in the Huawei Devices, but you know "just in case". Whereas here, they are forcing them to put in backdoors. the double standards in the world these days is bordering on satire of itself

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

Like Huawei 5G equipment? And in some countries, you can't use a Huawei Phone if you work for the government.

There was never any proof there was anything in the Huawei Devices, buy you know "just in case". Whereas here, they are forcing them to put in backdoors. the double standards in the world these days is bordering on satire

As long it their own backdoor it fine, I guess.

Magical Pineapples

16 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Something tells me that they either didn't think of that when they made this, or they think that somehow this won't apply to them.

Yep, that's a big problem for a lot of governments around the world. The people deciding the rules about things also tend to not have any idea exactly how the things they're ruling against actually work.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

one rule for me, another for them

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>