Driving Exam

Chubby_Chubby

Today was the day, when i failed to pass driving exam. How many attempts did you have till you finally passed it? I feel sad, that I failed to pass from the first try :( 

Keep practising and studying the road rules and try again when you're ready.

Is the test a theory test or a practical driving test?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

23 minutes ago, Chubby_Chubby said:

Today was the day, when i failed to pass driving exam. How many attempts did you have till you finally passed it? I feel sad, that I failed to pass from the first try :( 

Driving exam varies drastically by area.  It was a long long time ago but it took me two tries.  I failed the first time and passed the second even though o think I did worse the second time.  I was a whole heck of a lot more nervous the second time.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

24 minutes ago, Chubby_Chubby said:

Took me a couple of tries to get my full license.  It's not easy to nail it on your first try, and like yaboistar said, part of it comes down to comfort levels.  When you realize you know your stuff and can relax, it gets easier.

Don’t be too hard on yourself, sometimes it’s not your driving skills but more on your instructor and the examiner. 
I failed the driving test on my 1st try and that’s mainly on my instructor who isn’t teaching proper techniques and I had a examiner who was nitpicking. So I went to another driving school that taught way better had another examiner who doesn’t nitpick, and passed on the 2nd try.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Passed on my first try. I practiced beforehand in my local neighborhood. think my only mark was leaving my signal light on for too long.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

1 hour ago, Chubby_Chubby said:

I passed the first time. But Michigan has low standards when it comes to driving. This is why we have the highest auto insurance rates and accident rates in the US. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

The practical driving test (including renting the driving school car) was ~$300, iirc, so I'm glad I passed on my first attempt :3

Edit: Should note that due to insurance reasons, the distance I drove before I got my driver's license was recorded using my phone. 2197 km got recorded, but the thing didn't work all the time, so some kms got lost. Just thought it could be interesting :3

Edited by seon123
Something something

:)

In Texas you can do 10 hours (if I’m remembering correctly) of driving with an instructor or parents instead of a test, at least 20 years ago when I got my license. I never actually took a driving test at the DMV.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Hm. I passed my first try for both written and driving exam. IIRC, I missed two marks on the written, one mark for the driving course?

• I studied the crap out of the written exam. In California, we have online resources (DMV practice tests) available, and they are incredibly similar to the actual written test.
  • For the driving exam, familiarity with the driving course helped with my self-doubt. Thankfully, the driving school I went to walked me through the driving routes I'd be tested on, multiple times.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

2 hours ago, Chubby_Chubby said:

One, but I had a "farming license" at 14. That just meant because I did farm work I could drive on roads within 100 miles of work for work. Small town the limits got "tested" a bit. By the time I was almost 16 and could take my driving test I was very comfortable. You just have to be comfortable with driving to do it. Know what they're looking for. Having to take it a few times isn't bad.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

It took me one try to get what we call in British Columbia, your Novice license (commonly referred as N) and two times to get my full license (referred as Class 5). The first time I took my full license test was awkward because we turned into a street where there was a semi-parked illegally in front of a cross walk but the lane next to it was a left turn lane... Yea... The examiner ordered me to overtake it and I guess he got mad at me questioning him if what he meant was turn left. Technically if we were following rules by the book which in the case of an exam... seems the most logical thing to do (it is a box ticking exercise anyways), overtaking the truck by going straight on a left turn lane would be illegal. But what do I know I guess... 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I passed on my first try but mostly because I'd procrastinated scheduling the test for almost a whole year after my 16th birthday, and had a lot of experience driving with my learners permit with my mom in the car.

I almost failed it though because I completely spaced out and hesitated right as I was turning left in an intersection, almost getting hit by someone in oncoming traffic.

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

3 hours ago, yaboistar said:

i passed first try, but had enough "minors" that i nearly didn't

literally the same, I got 12 minors, 15 was the cut off point for failing.

I did receive multiple minors for driving slower than the speed limit down a road with a primary school on it, and with speed bumps, and for not breaking the speed limit to catch up to a car in front, which meant an impatient sod behind me overtook me. Basically my examiner was an arse who didn't like the fact I was cautious, and got pissed off when I gave reasonable answers when he questioned me over it.

Sometimes you just get bad examiners, sometimes circumstances are tricky when driving, you just have to accept it, learn from what went wrong and work to improve on it.

I believed I'd failed about 5 minutes in, because I stalled the car at a junction at the top of a steep climb. Fortunately I recovered it pretty well, but I spent the majority of the test thinking I'd already failed and it actually helped me relax and drive smoother. So don't let yourself be too anxious about it. You can always try again, failing isn't the end of the world, and often it's said those who fail first time become better drivers because of it - it's not like insurers care how many times you take the test, everyone is the same to them.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Car and motorcycle first time 

Car - 1 minor fault, pulled over and tried to set off in 3rd gear, twice, before realising :) 

Motorcycle - (Module 1, handling/skills), 1 minor fault for being 1mph under the speed trap requirement, (Module 2, Road Test), 1 minor fault for approach speed 

I'm not really someone to get nervous over exams and tests and shit though 

Keep at it :) 

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

I should have passed on my 1st and my 2nd time but I had a shitty tester so on my third and last try before restarting i got it.

the written test was a joke and so easy

Edited by GDRRiley

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I needed two tries to pass the learners' license theory test and I passed the road test first time.

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

3 hours ago, wANKER said:

Car and motorcycle first time 

Car - 1 minor fault, pulled over and tried to set off in 3rd gear, twice, before realising :) 

Motorcycle - (Module 1, handling/skills), 1 minor fault for being 1mph under the speed trap requirement, (Module 2, Road Test), 1 minor fault for approach speed 

I'm not really someone to get nervous over exams and tests and shit though 

Keep at it :) 

I loved my motorcycle test, getting to wail on 125cc bikes like they owed us money.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

It took 3.

I am dyslexic and when told to turn right I turned left. On the third attempt I wore a watch on the left wrist. I had to wear that watch for over 20 years.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

1 minute ago, jones177 said:

It took 3.

I am dyslexic and when told to turn right I turned left. On the third attempt I wore a watch on the left wrist. I had to wear that watch for over 20 years.

There’s a trick that helps:  make an “L” with your thumb and forefinger.  The one that looks somehow funny and not correct somehow is that way because it’s not on the left side.   I see my sister pull this one all the time. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I passed the first time, though marks were taken off for overshooting the stop lines. My brakes were changed out no more than a half hour before my exam took place. -_-

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Passed on my second attempt. Local testing place has the most difficult parking lot, first attempt I backed in too far and hit the wall. Second attempt, the parking lot wasn't used for the test and passed with just 1 minor infraction.

Pizza is the best food group

6 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I passed the first time. But Michigan has low standards when it comes to driving. This is why we have the highest auto insurance rates and accident rates in the US. 

We're not as bad as Chicagoans, though.

I passed on my first test too but I only passed because the warning system on my mom's 3-row Durango saved me from hitting one of the poles in the parallel parking test. I had no clue that it would stop me from hitting something in reverse until it saved me. 

By the way, @Chubby_Chubby, don't worry if you didn't pass the first time. It just means you'll be a much better driver the next time, and frankly, you'll be a much better driver than a lot of people who passed the first time. A lot of my friends passed the first time, too, but they're horrible drivers and they're always distracted by something.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There’s a trick that helps:  make an “L” with your thumb and forefinger.  The one that looks somehow funny and not correct somehow is that way because it’s not on the left side.   I see my sister pull this one all the time. 

I write letters backwards as well.

If it wasn't for typewriters and then later computers I would have been lost. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV