AMD's most important product ever - Ryzen 9 4900HS

AlexTheGreatish

Dunno, I've been recommending Ryzen mobile processors based laptops for a while now and people were skeptical if "is it any good". And that was mostly the U series which are a bit more conservative than HS. But they are freaking awesome. I mean, 4c/8t that for the most part runs at around 3.6GHz all the time. Closest thing price wise was Core i3 with its crappy 2c/4t... This 4900HS is an absolute monster and I'd be interested to see another rise of those small boxes like Zotac ZBOX.

Was there even competition in high end mobile (laptops)?

Yes there was with Power PC CPU in the Apple PowerBook back in the day.

Sure it's been over 15 years but back then PPC/IBM/Motorola was doing to Intel what AMD is starting to do right now - though in lower scale (PPC was Apple/OSX only 🙄)

1 hour ago, cae.len said:

so i just watched this video and definitely like what i see with this cpu.. i currently have an alienware area 51m i7 9700k cpu and my battery life is the only downside as most of you know even while doing everyday tasks, still looking at 2hours roughly... this isnt a problem while at home, i just stay plugged in... but onto my question.... the video addressed the fact that the ryzen 9 4900h gets 10 hours doing light everyday tasks but under 2 hours under heavy load.... im specifically interested in how much battery life does this thing get while gaming.... playing a game like fortnite, or quake, or apex, or modern warfare warzone... take your pick.... anyone have any battery life numbers while gaming?

alexTHEEgreatish??? any input on gaming battery life?

System

• CPU
    i7 9700k
  • Motherboard
    z390 LGA1151
  • RAM
    16GB 2666mhz
  • GPU
    rtx 2070
  • Case
    alienware area 51m
  • Storage
    x2 256gb nvme (raid0) 1TB sshd
  • PSU
    180w power brick
    240w power brick
  • Display(s)
    144hz 1920x1080
  • Cooling
    Air
  • Mouse
    Logitech g203 wired
  • Operating System
    win 10 pro (for gaming)
    Kali (for... pentesting)
  • Laptop
    yes... but moreso a desktop replacement

1 hour ago, AJMacR said:

So this is what my perfect laptop looks like... anyone know if its user upgradeable at all?

It has one SODIMM slot and 8 GB’s onboard, so you could install 16GB’s for a total of 24GB’s in dual channel. Other than that you can swap out the NVMe SSD for a larger one.

1 hour ago, Founders said:

It has one SODIMM slot and 8 GB’s onboard, so you could install 16GB’s for a total of 24GB’s in dual channel. Other than that you can swap out the NVMe SSD for a larger one.

founders is correct as far as i know... i researched the same information... upgradeability is nil...but for $1500 bucks roughly... if it lasts 3 years or better then i guess you could just buy a new laptop after that.... im considering it simply because i need a powerful laptop for college with good battery life.. that will probably do well for the 2 year degree im looking at

System

• CPU
    i7 9700k
  • Motherboard
    z390 LGA1151
  • RAM
    16GB 2666mhz
  • GPU
    rtx 2070
  • Case
    alienware area 51m
  • Storage
  • PSU
    180w power brick
    240w power brick
  • Display(s)
    144hz 1920x1080
  • Cooling
    Air
  • Mouse
    Logitech g203 wired
  • Operating System
    win 10 pro (for gaming)
    Kali (for... pentesting)
  • Laptop

2 hours ago, Harshith Mohan said:

The product page says the G14 has a 4800HS and not a 4900HS.
Dave Lee in his video has also said it has a 4800HS.

Austin Evans said its a 4900HS

Are there two versions of this? 4900HS is not specified anywhere on the product page

I'm confused. Can anybody clear this?

Yes. Versions with both CPUs exist. Notebookcheck has a chart listing all of them: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Launch-price-and-pre-orders-for-the-Asus-ROG-Zephyrus-G14-with-Ryzen-9-4900HS-and-RTX-2060-Max-Q-finally-unveiled.459338.0.html

One 4800HS configuration has a 1660TI while the other has a 1650. The 4900HS configs have a RTX 2060 Max-Q with an optional 60hz 1440p display.

But who knows? Maybe they will release a version with a 4800HS+2060 as well! ;)

1 hour ago, cae.len said:

alexTHEEgreatish??? any input on gaming battery life?

Notebookcheck recorded just under 2 hours (maybe 2.5hrs if you don't stress it past 100W): https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-Zephyrus-G14-Ryzen-9-GeForce-RTX-2060-Max-Q-Laptop-Review-Kicking-Core-i9-to-the-Curb.457817.0.htm

I still prefer the Eluktronics MAG-15 though even though it costs $250 more and is half-pound heavier. It has a mechanical keyboard, RTX 2070 Max-Q, USB-C charging, 17Wh larger battery, a 2nd RAM slot, 2nd M.2 SSD slot, and a 720p webcam.

3 minutes ago, Results45 said:

Yes. Versions with both CPUs exist. Notebookcheck has a chart listing all of them: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Launch-price-and-pre-orders-for-the-Asus-ROG-Zephyrus-G14-with-Ryzen-9-4900HS-and-RTX-2060-Max-Q-finally-unveiled.459338.0.html

One 4800HS configuration has a 1660TI while the other has a 1650. The 4900HS configs have a RTX 2060 Max-Q with an optional 60hz 1440p display.

But who knows? Maybe they will release a version with a 4800HS+2060 as well! ;)

Notebookcheck recorded just under 2 hours (maybe 2.5hrs if you don't stress it past 100W): https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-Zephyrus-G14-Ryzen-9-GeForce-RTX-2060-Max-Q-Laptop-Review-Kicking-Core-i9-to-the-Curb.457817.0.htm

I still prefer the Eluktronics MAG-15 though even though it costs $250 more and is half-pound heavier. It has a mechanical keyboard, RTX 2070 Max-Q, USB-C charging, 17Wh larger battery, a 2nd RAM slot, 2nd M.2 SSD slot, and a 720p webcam.

hmmm so it looks like if your primary purpose is gaming or perhaps (maximum gaming performance) whether you go intel or amd, battery life is very similar.. 2 to 3 hours... but it seems AMD is getting the edge considering my alienware area 51m with the i7 9700k only gets 3 hours battery life MAX whether its gaming or browsing the web, while amds 4900h is looking at 10hours give or take for light tasks.... i could definitely see the 4900h as an excellent pick for something like college and academic environments.... i could keep my area 51m at home and SSH into the machine if i need to use its GPU for hash-cracking.... i need a powerful GPU for pentesting applications at the very minimum...

System

• CPU
    i7 9700k
  • Motherboard
    z390 LGA1151
  • RAM
    16GB 2666mhz
  • GPU
    rtx 2070
  • Case
    alienware area 51m
  • Storage
  • PSU
    180w power brick
    240w power brick
  • Display(s)
    144hz 1920x1080
  • Cooling
    Air
  • Mouse
    Logitech g203 wired
  • Operating System
    win 10 pro (for gaming)
    Kali (for... pentesting)
  • Laptop

Well, now I know what CPUs are gonna be in this years MacBook Pro.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

13 minutes ago, ImAlsoRan said:

Well, now I know what CPUs are gonna be in this years MacBook Pro.

That’s not going to happen, they’ve spent years optimizing Mac OS for Intel based architecture. What Apple is rumored to be working on is incorporating their own ARM based SOC’s in their laptops which will present its own challenges with X86 emulation for backwards compatibility with older software, among other things. We’ll more than likely see a new MacBook Air within the next year or two featuring Apple’s own SOC, similar to the ones found in their phones and tablets. It’s quite possible they’ll do the same thing with the MacBook Pro later on. Remember Apple’s entire business model has always been a closed system. The last thing they want to do is bring another player onboard like AMD. 

@AlexTheGreatish  Waaaaait.  So has nobody tested the on-board graphics?  In the reviews I've watched nobody made mention of the graphics side of the APU.  Did AMD embargo it?  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Goddamn that's an amazing little laptop,  MBP 14" who?

I even like that there's no webcam that would get some black tape put over. 

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

But what if you put some thermal grizzly conductornaut on it?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Just imagine if Jensen diverted his leather jackets fund into paying Adobe to provide in-house/official support for NVENC in Premiere.

6 hours ago, Founders said:

What Apple is rumored to be working on is incorporating their own ARM based SOC’s in their laptops which will present its own challenges with X86 emulation for backwards compatibility with older software, among other things.

They done it before when going from PPC to x86.

We’ll more than likely see a new MacBook Air within the next year or two featuring Apple’s own SOC, similar to the ones found in their phones and tablets. 

Pretty much done as well with the 12" in 2015…?

9 hours ago, williamcll said:

But what if you put some thermal grizzly conductornaut on it?

Der8auer did that.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Strong disagree regarding webcams, and huge props to asus for being the only option if you don't want a laptop covered in tape like some elementary school project.

11 minutes ago, Yebi said:

Strong disagree regarding webcams, and huge props to asus for being the only option if you don't want a laptop covered in tape like some elementary school project.

Wut??? They are the only option for that..?

HP has a couple options with a 'hardware switch' to turn off the webcam and some Lenovo laptops even have a physical 'shutter' that goes in front of your webcam. That 1. turns it off 2. places a physical barrier in front of the webcam, so it can't possibly see out from it.

Omitting a basic laptop feature, for a minority that absolutely does not want a webcam is a bad choice. There are better ways to counteract its negative.

P.S. how good is removing a webcam, when there is likely still a microphone? 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

17 hours ago, caincha said:

Pretty much done as well with the 12" in 2015…?

No, the 2015 MacBook featured Intel’s Core M series which are just x86 based ultra low TDP (<4.5 watts) processors. Apple’s move to ARM with Mac OS is very different.

I have a Dell XPS 13" with the 6200U, the G14 with the lower specced Ryzen 7, 16GB RAM with 2060 would be my upgrade.. but being in NZ, I'd imagine the starting price will be arouond $3K NZD ( 1766 USD ) which is too much.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | RAM: G.Skill 32Gb at 3200Mhz | GPU:  GTX 1080ti

Would anyone by chance happen to know where the Asus Zephyrus G14 would be available for pre-ordering in Australia? Also does anyone happen to know if there would be a know release date in Australia?

Thanks.