LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

9 minutes ago, SirPhantom said:

So my rig has done 18 hours of folding so far, its first ever. My room is baking and I think I can smell burning dust, is that normal? lol

My laptop will not be running all night as I do not trust it to not blow up despite being about a year old and not far off the capability of my main rig. However it did complete a WU yesterday in about 6-7 hour and I don't think it was added to my total, it seemed to upload the results fine not really sure what I am looking for in the log though. It is now beavering away again and so I shall see what happens. 

So far my stats say I have completed 5 WUs and have 40k points. 

Uh sounds like your laptop is running very hot. Delete the CPU slot n the advanced FAH settiings (configure--> slots) so the GPU has more cooling to breathe. Unless you have integrated Intel HD/Radeon graphics and no dedicated GPU.

Just now, enterprise-psi said:

Ideal folding rig is a mining rig 😁

Not really, the cards are usually starved of PCIe lanes in mining rigs which is very bad for folding 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, enterprise-psi said:

Ideal folding rig is a mining rig 😁

Yeah sort of. But many mining rigs are ASICS and those aren't compatible with Folding because they are specific-built to execute bitcoin mining instructions and aren't good for anything else.

4 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Not really, the cards are usually starved of PCIe lanes in mining rigs which is very bad for folding 

I read somewhere that NVIDIA RTX cards are bottlenecked by PCIE 3.0 x4 slots. Is that true? I would be running 16x 8x 8x (28 total) PCIE 3.0 lanes on X99 once I build that folding machine.

But I see a problem with AM4 builds because it only supports 16 PCIE lanes total.

4 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

that is true however, my ideal mining rig , has no pcie risers , cause some of them catch fire,  im talking about those weird mining motherboards with 8 pcie16 slots for 8 gpus with 1 celeron cpu.

Although now that i think of it, im not sure if they are indeed 16x :D

36 minutes ago, Hitman1989 said:

Hey guys, i started yesterday, however i notice my GPU is only using 2% of its power, do you guys know how i can get this higher?

Ive set de setting to full.

~snip~

If you have an AMD GPU, you won't see 'CUDA' in Windows Task Manager.  You need to use the drop down menu in the GPU performance tab and select one of the compute options.

image.png.34ce3e97b502eb5b38dd4c2e8fcdaa96.png

8 hours ago, Rune said:

It might be beneficial to add the "why does windows say I'm only using 50% GPU" to the OP.

Added. Lots of people asking about it lately.

Windows Task Manager doesn't show Cuda/Compute usage by default. Either switch one of the GPU graphs to show Cuda/Compute or use a third party GPU monitoring program

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, ShortRouter said:

I read somewhere that NVIDIA RTX cards are bottlenecked by PCIE 3.0 x4 slots. Is that true? I would be running 16x 8x 8x (28 total) PCIE 3.0 lanes on X99 once I build that folding machine.

My 2060 on x 8 seems to match my 2070 on an x4 slot, Although this could be coincidence 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

My 2060 on x 8 seems to match my 2070 on an x4 slot, Although this could be coincidence 

Can you do some testing swapping those around some day? Would be interesting to see if that has any difference.

Just now, ShortRouter said:

Can you do some testing swapping those around some day? Would be interesting to see if that has any difference.

Potentially, it will all depend as always. 

I know the 2070 is not a good card, but then again neither is the 2060, but with the fact the 2070 was pulled from an alienware does firmly put it in the sh!t category.  

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:
9 hours ago, Rune said:

It might be beneficial to add the "why does windows say I'm only using 50% GPU" to the OP.

Added. Lots of people asking about it lately.

Can you attach my screenshot to the Q/A?

cuda task manager.PNG

5 minutes ago, Tad Bittoomuch said:

If you have an AMD GPU, you won't see 'CUDA' in Windows Task Manager.  You need to use the drop down menu in the GPU performance tab and select one of the compute options.

image.png.34ce3e97b502eb5b38dd4c2e8fcdaa96.png

Aha thanks! ;)

Ok guys, I have a problem: I have the right team ID written in the software, but I'm not folding for LTT. What the hell? Printscreen provided:

whoopass.png

3 minutes ago, ujlaki15 said:

Ok guys, I have a problem: I have the right team ID written in the software, but I'm not folding for LTT. What the hell? Printscreen provided:

~snip~

If you've folded for another team previously and now folding for LTT after only recently picking it up again, the F@H stats server may take a while to update with all the increased traffic they're seeing.

Don't worry, any Work Units you complete for the LTT team will eventually be credited. :)

So in the last 24 hours my PC has barely done any folding. All of a sudden it's really struggled to get any WUs. :(

2 minutes ago, Tad Bittoomuch said:

If you've folded for another team previously and now folding for LTT after only recently picking it up again, the F@H stats server may take a while to update with all the increased traffic they're seeing.

Don't worry, any Work Units you complete for the LTT team will eventually be credited. :)

Yes, that's the problem. I did not join any team previously. 

1 minute ago, Puntoboy said:

So in the last 24 hours my PC has barely done any folding. All of a sudden it's really struggled to get any WUs. :(

Mines been like that all week since I started. I have 2 folding with CPU & GPU....im lucky if i get 4-5 WU's between the 2 of them over 24 hours. 

My main rig just got its 3rd for the day and its 11PM, thats only because i Quit and restarted Folding@home....I cant really be sitting next to my PC restarting F@H every hour if its not getting a WU. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

2 minutes ago, Puntoboy said:

Just now, Jarsky said:

Mines been like that all week since I started. I have 2 folding with CPU & GPU....im lucky if i get 4-5 WU's between the 2 of them over 24 hours. 

My main rig just got its 3rd for the day and its 11PM, thats only because i Quit and restarted Folding@home....I cant really be sitting next to my PC restarting F@H every hour if its not getting a WU. 

That's okay, the F@H servers are experiencing an enormous load with all the new users they have received in the past few weeks, and as a result have run out of Work Units to assign to people.  The F@H team is working to generate more WUs, just be patient and you'll get some eventually :)

6 minutes ago, ujlaki15 said:

Yes, that's the problem. I did not join any team previously. 

If you put the LTT team ID in your advanced client (and optionally generated a passkey) you're good to go.

It's entirely possible someone else used that name previously and contributed to another team.

Edit:

Looks like someone used the username 'purpleballs' in 2009:

image.png.47124f2a50c069b1b2f8a78b90672a49.png

10 minutes ago, ShortRouter said:

Uh sounds like your laptop is running very hot. Delete the CPU slot n the advanced FAH settiings (configure--> slots) so the GPU has more cooling to breathe. Unless you have integrated Intel HD/Radeon graphics and no dedicated GPU.

Thanks, sorry I wasn't clear its my main PC which the smell is coming from, it is just very very dusty. The temps look OK but advice is welcome! 

CPU is showing 64 C

GPU is showing 69 C

My laptop is whirring away, I am letting it pick up a WU, finishing it and then giving it a little rest because the poor fans are spinning up pretty hard. 

Laptop GPU 66 C 

CPU idle

1 minute ago, Tad Bittoomuch said:

If you put the LTT team ID in your advanced client (and optionally generated a passkey) you're good to go.

It's entirely possible someone else used that name previously and contributed to another team.

Ok, thanks that's reassuring. Passkey done. 

1 minute ago, SirPhantom said:

Thanks, sorry I wasn't clear its my main PC which the smell is coming from, it is just very very dusty. The temps look OK but advice is welcome! 

CPU is showing 64 C

GPU is showing 69 C

My laptop is whirring away, I am letting it pick up a WU, finishing it and then giving it a little rest because the poor fans are spinning up pretty hard. 

Laptop GPU 66 C 

CPU idle

Advice is the clean the damn thing! 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

23 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I know the 2070 is not a good card, but then again neither is the 2060

lol r u kidding me? 2060 is the most bang for buck in terms of cost efficiency. Multiple 2060 is the way to go. I made a cost comparison spreadsheet cuz I had nothing to do which compares all RTX cards pricing + energy costs in case of 24/7 operation for 1 and 2 years giving a total cost and measuring performance/Watt for folding specifically. Also compared 2x and 3x configs to single GPU systems. I used FAH benchmark results (ns per day measurement) because it's more representative of the actual performance than PPD and also doesn't vary.

The table factors in system energy consumption of 70 Watts + TDP of the graphics card(s). No matter the cost per kWh, if you buy those cards new a 2x RTX 2060 system is the most cost efficient [(purchase + energy costs) / performance], followed by 2x RTX 2060 SUPER. I share the table if you want to have a look yourself and play around. Cost per kWh is easily adjustable. Power supply efficiency is assumed unrealistic 100% which is countered by your system never realistically loaded 100% 24/7 so it evens out.

P.S. I ignored the 3x GPU setups as imo it requires a custom watercooling solution which will run you at least 450 € (150 € per card) for all the watercooling gear. Adjust regional GPU prices to get an accurate result.

GPU folding optimal setup.xlsx

Just now, ShortRouter said:

-snip-

smh by not a good card I mean my specific model is a cheap shitty card, I always recommend 2060 cards for people asking what to fold with... 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240