My Parents Don't Like Gaming

otherworldlynob
6 minutes ago, otherworldlynob said:

They have a PC gaming section at Dave and Busters? Wow. That's a surprise.

Anyway yeah, if we ever go to Dave and Busters I'll look at it. I doubted the LAN party idea anyways.

I think it would be your best bet, try and get them to take you guys to dave and busters. You'll get some entertainment in and a chance to drag Dad over to the F1 racing game or whatever genre you think he'd might like. 

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I think it would be your best bet, try and get them to take you guys to dave and busters. You'll get some entertainment in and a chance to drag Dad over to the F1 racing game or whatever genre you think he'd might like. 

I actually have 0 idea what games he would like. I remember when I was like 6 or something he would play one of those games where you have to "bowl" the ball up into a hole or whatever at Chuck E Cheese, now where would I find a virtual one of those lol

1 minute ago, otherworldlynob said:

I actually have 0 idea what games he would like. I remember when I was like 6 or something he would play one of those games where you have to "bowl" the ball up into a hole or whatever at Chuck E Cheese, now where would I find a virtual one of those lol

Well, for dad.... sit him in a racing cockpit simulator. He drives a car right? I think the freedom to feel like you're going fast would be fun for him maybe. 

You'll have to really try at getting him to play a game. I think a simulator cockpit, maybe helicopter or something. 

Anyhow, I'm off. 

Good luck young man. 

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

Well, for dad.... sit him in a racing cockpit simulator. He drives a car right? I think the freedom to feel like you're going fast would be fun for him maybe. 

You'll have to really try at getting him to play a game. I think a simulator cockpit, maybe helicopter or something. 

Anyhow, I'm off. 

Good luck young man. 

Seems possible. Anyway thanks for the help, I truly appreciate it. I suspect that in the end he won't link that to PC gaming though

I dunno. I find gaming PCs very expensive to build. And then you have to factor in a monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers and all that stuff. 

I would just go to pawnshops and try to score a working Xbox One for under $80. You can probably get a new one for about $150. Just plug and play. And then it’s a matter of getting the cash. 

1 hour ago, kokakolia said:

I dunno. I find gaming PCs very expensive to build. And then you have to factor in a monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers and all that stuff. 

I would just go to pawnshops and try to score a working Xbox One for under $80. You can probably get a new one for about $150. Just plug and play. And then it’s a matter of getting the cash. 

Old school or business computers with a 1050/1650/750ti are cheap and run games well. 

ive planned systems at sub 100$. 

pawn shops are a great place to buy stolen stuff. Xbox also means online services @50-70$ a year. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

4 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

Old school or business computers with a 1050/1650/750ti are cheap and run games well. 

pawn shops are a great place to buy stolen stuff. Xbox also means online services @50-70$ a year. 

Pawn shops are a paradise for power tools, consoles, TVs and bicycles. 

7 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Something like Dave and Busters (they have also PC gaming section) 

Never seen one at my Dave and Busters. Plus Dave and Busters is expensive. Fun but Expensive. Chuck E Cheese however is not expensive. LOL. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

it's not a perfect solution, but if your internet is good enough (and you don't have a data cap, becauses they're still a thing in some places apparently), then you could try buying games on google stadia when the base version is released, so you wouldn't need to buy a pc or laptop, and would still have access to 1080p gaming

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

7 hours ago, kokakolia said:

I have the cash, parents won’t let me use it toward anything remotely gaming-related

5 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

I do have online services, problem is parents won’t let me spend money toward gaming-related stuff

1 hour ago, kokakolia said:

Pawn shops are a paradise for power tools, consoles, TVs and bicycles. 

Parents won’t let me spend money on anything gaming-related

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Never seen one at my Dave and Busters. Plus Dave and Busters is expensive. Fun but Expensive. Chuck E Cheese however is not expensive. LOL. 

Chuck E Cheese is honestly trash, I went there with my younger cousins, just not fun anymore at this age

1 hour ago, Citadelen said:

it's not a perfect solution, but if your internet is good enough (and you don't have a data cap, becauses they're still a thing in some places apparently), then you could try buying games on google stadia when the base version is released, so you wouldn't need to buy a pc or laptop, and would still have access to 1080p gaming

How would I buy games though? Also I would need a Chromecast Ultra and controller anyway, parents won’t let me buy anything gaming related

10 minutes ago, otherworldlynob said:

Chuck E Cheese is honestly trash, I went there with my younger cousins, just not fun anymore at this age

I have loads of fun, but the local one has games I like and my nieces and nephews benefit from tickets. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Too much long to read; 

However if your problem is that your parents cannot get you a pc, just get your own money and buy one without having to do with your parents, saving and getting money, as long you have someone that maintains you, should be easy 

Also if so you have problems with age/credit cards, just get some "anonymous" credit cards or gift cards for stores like Amazon, and buy from them 

@otherworldlynob I'm kinda tipsy and I'll interpret your post in my twisted way.

Your parents are setting you up to be a great person. Gaming, alcohol, drugs and junk food are all vices that hold us back. It takes a lot of maturity to stay away from these things. Getting your act together is letting go of your vices. 

On the flip-side, being a young adult ain't easy (job stability, income, relationships etc...) and you wanna just end it all or go amok... sometimes. These vices can be a comfortable crutch. 

Also being a teenager is frustrating because you wanna become your own person and your parents have annoyingly high expectations for you and want to control everything. You're gonna become a doctor gosh darn it! In a way your parents want you to succeed better than themselves. As their offspring you're their second chance at life. Remember that. 

I kinda agree with your parents... but on the flip-side the people I respect the most are the people who failed a lot and moved on. Do all the stupid things in your youth because you'll become old all too fast. A life without mistakes isn't worth living. That said, I don't have fond memories of being a gaming hermit while I was out of work. I felt like a piece of... manure. At the same time I miss those days now that I have a stable job which can be stressful sometimes. 

My best advice is... just wait it out. It's only a couple of years until you're a full-grown adult and you can do whatever you want. I remember the first time I was living on my own I wanted to try all the junk foods, because I was raised on organic food and tofu. And then... well, I wish I could afford to eat delicious organic food everyday. I miss the days where everything fell into my lap and all I had to do was eat, sleep, poop and go to school. 

So just wait. Being an adult is... pretty cool I guess. You can do whatever you want. But it's a lot more work and responsibilities! 

2 hours ago, Xvaster said:

Too much long to read; 

However if your problem is that your parents cannot get you a pc, just get your own money and buy one without having to do with your parents, saving and getting money, as long you have someone that maintains you, should be easy 

Also if so you have problems with age/credit cards, just get some "anonymous" credit cards or gift cards for stores like Amazon, and buy from them 

If you read the message, you’d know that’s not the issue. They just don’t like gaming and won’t even let me spend my money on anything gaming related.

1 minute ago, otherworldlynob said:

If you read the message, you’d know that’s not the issue. They just don’t like gaming and won’t even let me spend my money on anything gaming related.

No one “just doesn’t like” something.  There is a reason, generally.  One can make suppositions about possible reasons what the issues with them might be, and how to mitigate those possibles.

Another possibility might be to find out specifically what those reasons are though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

Buying a old used desktop is a great way to buy stolen stuff as well lol.

Anytime your buying something used (even from places like amazon) theres a chance you are buying something stolen.

Personally I just dont ask questions. I am positive theres thousands of dollars of goods in my home now that were stolen. But I didnt steal them so i dont care.

1 minute ago, RonnieOP said:

Anytime your buying something used (even from places like amazon) theres a chance you are buying something stolen.

Personally I just dont ask questions. I am positive theres thousands of dollars of goods in my home now that were stolen. But I didnt steal them so i dont care.

As I’ve explained to over 10 people now, they don’t let me use my money for anything remotely gaming related.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

No one “just doesn’t like” something.  There is a reason, generally.  One can make suppositions about possible reasons what the issues with them might be, and how to mitigate those possibles.

Another possibility might be to find out specifically what those reasons are though.

Yes, I’m trying to wait a while before I make my next move. I feel like telling him about the problem has started the process of convincing him, but now there’s still some time to go until I think it’s time to continue.

10 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

I'd disagree most of these come off a 4 or 5 year lease or get upgraded then and can be bought. I really doubt there is a high rate of desktop steeling.

True but pawn shops are like 95% stolen.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

8 minutes ago, otherworldlynob said:

As I’ve explained to over 10 people now, they don’t let me use my money for anything remotely gaming related.

Yes I know....that has nothing to do with my comment of the subject i was referring to in the comment i quoted.

Basically you need to talk to your parents. Not us. We cannot help you at all other then telling you to talk to them.

We dont know anything about your parents or their motives.

Its completely possible that you are just shit out of luck for the time being. That may change in the future...it may not.

The only thing you can do is talk to them and if they dont wanna talk about it then thats that.

Just now, GDRRiley said:

I'd disagree most of these come off a 4 or 5 year lease or get upgraded then and can be bought. I really doubt there is a high rate of desktop steeling.

True but pawn shops are like 95% stolen.

No they arent. Pawn Shops are actually one of the worst places you can go to sale stolen goods since you have to provide an id and its literally the first thing victims/police do when looking for stolen goods.

Most of the items in pawn shops are just from people who need fast cash.

Point is....dont worry about it. As long as you are not stealing it.