My Parents Don't Like Gaming

otherworldlynob

I'm looking for some advice.

So I can't actually game because I have a trash laptop. I'm <content removed by staff> and can't get a job, meaning I have to depend on my parents to do that for me. The issue is, my parents don't like gaming. No, money is not a problem, I have some saved up, although not really enough for a decent system. Now even if I do a lemonade stand or whatever like you guys will say, they won't actually let me use my money to buy stuff for gaming. No, I can't buy a console, either. I don't have any way to buy stuff online either. 

I wrote my dad a 5 page essay about why he should get me a gaming PC and how everything like that works. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1A3QxJtm9LUl2TxslCc0Peaw8s-br7W2-Jk8c4aq1-Ew/edit?usp=sharing
I waited to give it to him. At one point he asked me, "Why don't you make money by doing videos like those people?" I'm like, ah, excellent opportunity, and I brandish my 5 page essay after saying "Let me explain why."

Well, he reads for twenty seconds and then stops and announces it's just an excuse for gaming. Wonderful.

I really have no idea what to do now. I mean, no, I can't buy anything with money I make because they wouldn't let me, so please don't say that like everyone else I've asked
What do you guys think I should you? This really means a lot to me. Anyway, as I stated in the essay, this would also allow me to do programming and stuff. My current specs:
i7-8550U @ 2GHz
Intel UHD Graphics 620
8GB DDR4-2666MHz RAM
This is all packed in my epic trash HP laptop which I place on the arm of a couch and keep my generic Logitech wireless mouse on the arm of the sofa next to it.

Thanks!

Edited by SansVarnic
content removed

Took wrong approach. Blew your cover early.

It was supposed to be a build for schooling and education. 

Can't change a parents mind, you gotta go with what they Will agree with.

Try again, leave out all the fancy LED stuff, it's for school. Not gaming. Gotta have the looks of an office PC to pull it off ;)

Good Luck

12 minutes ago, otherworldlynob said:

lemonade stand

why not mow the lawns of your neighbors

or shovel their snow for them

12 minutes ago, otherworldlynob said:

"Why don't you make money by doing videos like those people?" I'm like, ah, excellent opportunity, and I brandish my 5 page essay after saying "Let me explain why."

Well, he reads for twenty seconds and then stops and announces it's just an excuse for gaming. Wonderful.

Why dont you make money...............

Being computer illeterate lolololololol @ my spelling

illiterate ah there it is second try

is not good

On 2/16/2020 at 3:30 PM, greenmax said:

why not mow the lawns of your neighbors

or shovel their snow for them

Why dont you make money...............

Being computer illeterate lolololololol @ my spelling

illiterate ah there it is second try

is not good

<content removed by staff> to get a job and make money or do other stuff. Even if I did, parents wouldn't let me use it for gaming.

Edited by SansVarnic
removed content

Not all games require top hardware and there is cloud gaming service available...

I would keep laptop on the desk or cooling pad so it doesn't overheat though.

On 2/16/2020 at 3:33 PM, otherworldlynob said:

Not old enough to get a job and make money or do other stuff.

<content removed by staff> mowing lawns, trimming grass, hoeing garden beds, shoveling snow.

People are getting older and wanting to live in their homes.

It shows initiative on your part

It also shows work ethic, which is very rare in todays age.

Edited by SansVarnic
removed content

1 minute ago, RageTester said:

Not all games require top hardware and there is cloud gaming service available...

I would keep laptop on the desk or cooling pad so it doesn't overheat though.

Sure but it's not like I can buy games anyway, so I'm limited there. As for cloud gaming, choices for games are limited.
I also want to stream and that's impossible for me.

On 2/16/2020 at 3:36 PM, greenmax said:

<content removed by staff> mowing lawns, trimming grass, hoeing garden beds, shoveling snow.

People are getting older and wanting to live in their homes.

It shows initiative on your part

It also shows work ethic, which is very rare in todays age.

As I said like 4 times, they still wouldn't let me use the money I make.

Edited by SansVarnic

Is there something  wrong with free games? Honestly you will thank your parents later,  at your age you are supposed to run around, not sit near PC all day.

Since you are <content removed by staff> (which I am assuming) and living with your parents, they are allowed to make that decision. The only way you are going to get them to be more forthcoming is to put some real effort into your education and show some initiative. These things are also very important for your future.

With your specs, you can still play a lot of older, very nice and challenging games. You might not have a go at those fancy AAA titles, but there are plenty of other games to choose from. You might not be inclined to try them at first, but your options are limited, so make due with what you have and try to appreciate it. You won't be disappointed in the long run.

Edited by SansVarnic

2 minutes ago, RageTester said:

Is there something  wrong with free games? Honestly you will thank your parents later,  at your age you are supposed to run around, not sit near PC all day.

No, but that still doesn't allow me to do things like streaming. Anyway I can't even run free games well. 30FPS Minecraft? Also, you do realize when you deprive a kid of gaming, they will just want it more? Just because I have a gaming PC doesn't mean I will use it all day. I still believe in a life.

10 minutes ago, RageTester said:

Better to do mischief outside.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

On 2/16/2020 at 3:50 PM, greenhorn said:

Since <content removed by staff> (which I am assuming) and living with your parents, they are allowed to make that decision. The only way you are going to get them to be more forthcoming is to put some real effort into your education and show some initiative. These things are also very important for your future.

With your specs, you can still play a lot of older, very nice and challenging games. You might not have a go at those fancy AAA titles, but there are plenty of other games to choose from. You might not be inclined to try them at first, but your options are limited, so make due with what you have and try to appreciate it. You won't be disappointed in the long run.

I am doing perfectly fine with my education, and am a bit of a gifted student. That's not really the problem.

As for that, well, there's still a lot of things I can't do (graphic design, literally anything serious involving creative work). I mean, I'm running 6 tabs of Google Chrome at 130 degrees F on my CPU. GPU nonexistent. Older games, though.. like what? I'd have to have free games only and anyway I still can't stream or anything I want to try. I still can't do what I want, which is a bit of a problem.

Edited by SansVarnic

2 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Better to do mischief outside.

Yes, but still, what we want is to play games online with our friends. Not many people near me or my age who would like to play outside, nor is the weather good for it.

27 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Took wrong approach. Blew your cover early.

It was supposed to be a build for schooling and education. 

Can't change a parents mind, you gotta go with what they Will agree with.

Try again, leave out all the fancy LED stuff, it's for school. Not gaming. Gotta have the looks of an office PC to pull it off ;)

Good Luck

School doesn't need stuff really strong, that hardly does anything. This is perfectly fine for doing what school needs (although I wish it would run Google Chrome at a slightly better speed?) I mean middle school hardly requires complex rendering.

You are s.o.l. then

Parents say, you do

Should have played it from a different angle, but you didnt.

Oh well.

<content removed by staff>

Edited by SansVarnic

On 2/16/2020 at 4:00 PM, greenmax said:

You are s.o.l. then

Parents say, you do

Should have played it from a different angle, but you didnt.

Oh well.

<content removed by staff>

Not really planning to move out <content removed by staff>

Also I really couldn't have taken much of a different approach. School doesn't need anything intensive, and I did mention a lot of other stuff in the letter but he didn't actually read it so..

Edited by SansVarnic

Dxtory is the most lightweight screen recorder I have used, and it also has built-in fps limiter so games can run more stable and laptop doesn't overheat...

7 minutes ago, RageTester said:

Dxtory is the most lightweight screen recorder I have used, and it also has built-in fps limiter so games can run more stable and laptop doesn't overheat...

I can barely run games in the first place, any recording I've ever done on this is laggy.

well since you cant buy games and such and want to game, considering your system. you can play fortnite, world of tanks, planetside 2, dauntless. all free and playable on your system...better then nothing

heres a decent list of games on that intel igpu and what works
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-UHD-Graphics-620-GPU-Review-Benchmarks-and-Specs.239936.0.html

just have to take what you can get till your parents say otherwise

1 hour ago, circeseye said:

well since you cant buy games and such and want to game, considering your system. you can play fortnite, world of tanks, planetside 2, dauntless. all free and playable on your system...better then nothing

heres a decent list of games on that intel igpu and what works
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-UHD-Graphics-620-GPU-Review-Benchmarks-and-Specs.239936.0.html

just have to take what you can get till your parents say otherwise

I've tried Fortnite, but I hate it because of the trash dancing. I've basically come to oppose it strongly now. World of Tanks, I'm not really into games like that, I've tried it I believe. Dauntless sounded fun but I was literally slashing at a beast for 10 minutes to kill it, which doesn't really appeal to me much. I mean that was my first boss fight, too. Planetside 2 isn't much my style either but I'll try it.

Have you asked your parents why they won't allow you to game? Have you tried to talk to them and say...

"Hey, I'm doing well in school and do my chores. I'd like to upgrade my computer so I can do some recreational things like graphic design and casual gaming when you guys allow me an hour or two."

Like the others said, you gotta finesse it a bit. If that doesn't work, then you'll have to wait till you're older. Just keep being respectful with your inquiry when you ask them.

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

I try not to read too much into it, but it seems to me, and I could be wrong, that the parents are religious folk.

14 hours ago, RyomaSJibenG said:

try starcraft 2, its free to play. its an RTS though

Will look at it.