Your car's computer system can be hacked with off-the-shelf parts

Abbidos
You probably don't spend much time thinking about the computer in your car, but a pair of Spanish security researchers sure does. In preparation for next month's Black Hat Asia security conference in Singapore, Javier Vazquez-Vidal and Alberto Garcia Illera have assembled a small electronic device that can leave a vehicle's computer system open to attack. "It can take five minutes or less to hook up and then walk away," Vidal says. It can also be built from off-the-shelf components for less than $20.

What the gizmo can actually do depends on the car. The team says that they've wired the CAN Hacking Tool (named for the Controller Area Network bus it exploits) into four vehicles, and have used it to wirelessly manipulate lights, set off alarms, control power windows and even activate the vehicle's brakes. By the time the conference starts, they hope to outfit the prototype with a GSM radio, making it possible to control a vehicle's systems from virtually anywhere. Still, Vidal says they don't want to aid any nefarious activities, so the hacking tool's source code is going to remain private for now -- but they do hope their demonstration at Black Hat Asia will get the attention of automakers. "A car is a mini network," Illera said. "And right now there's no security implemented.

Source Engadget.com

You're not supposed to copy and past the whole article...

Ok, but can I overclock my car's computer? That is the more important question. I am thinking come liquid cooling, add a firewall and I will be all set. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

All hail my old cars! Everything I own doesn't have a computer inside it :D

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster

Umm... Not surprising in anyway. Hacking a vehicles computer is far from new, and to a certain extent neither is their exploit.

The level and refinement of the hacking is still interesting though.

Most all 1992 and newer have the OBD port on them, and then I think in '96 EVERY vehicle had it.

So... lock your car and problem solved.

So old:

http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2010-05/researchers-hack-car-computers-shutting-down-brakes-engine-and-more

Using homemade software and a standard computer port, a team of scientists has figured out exactly how easy it is to hack into a modern car -- scary news for motorists already wary of faulty brake and accelerator systems.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Wasn't this already posted or am i mistaking with something i read sometime ago somewhere else?

Signatures are stupid.

That's why I don't drive a car.

Here's a picture of my ride

182.jpg

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Ooooo someone figured out how to use electronics...

Such progress

Much wow

Very hack

sysloc

I could have some fun with that. Though i would use it on a loud motorcycle and shut it off. No one likes those people.

YES OMG

Every day at the same time, some friggin' bikers haul their heavy-ass bikes that are loud as SH1T and drive it through my apartment complex and the neighboring one... Effectively, he is hurting the ears of 100+ people AND the apartments are in a very remote location and I KNOW they are doing this just to troll us... I don't think what is being described here in this article is going to work for those Harleys but I seriously wish it did.. Just f***ing shut off their bikes in the middle of their serenade and then just watch them fall in pain... ooooohh man that'd be fun

electronics that are made to tap into can bus systems in cars have been around pretty much since can bus was implemented as a standard(just for reference, my 2000 bmw 323 uses can bus).Also, can bus is usually will not be tied into a cars throttle or breaking system. It is usually just use for your entertainment systems and climate control. This is really not a problem that you should have to worry about.  

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

YES OMG

Every day at the same time, some friggin' bikers haul their heavy-ass bikes that are loud as SH1T and drive it through my apartment complex and the neighboring one... Effectively, he is hurting the ears of 100+ people AND the apartments are in a very remote location and I KNOW they are doing this just to troll us... I don't think what is being described here in this article is going to work for those Harleys but I seriously wish it did.. Just f***ing shut off their bikes in the middle of their serenade and then just watch them fall in pain... ooooohh man that'd be fun

Same, some guy with a Harley lives across the street from me and every other god damn day its VROOM VROOOOMMM with the popping sounds. He's not even going that fast and its like 90db. They just parade around their loud ass bikes and rev em up until you know that they can't even be enjoying the unfathomable sound coming from beneath them.  And yeah that would be fun, just shutting off that unnecessary noise right in the middle of them zooming around. It's not even like theyre that powerful that they make a lot of noise, they just don't having a muffler and the people riding them don't give 2 shits about other people who want silence. I think that there should be some sort of limit to the noise. I mean you get a ticket for honking and some dick comes in with their Harley and just zooms right through and no one can do anything about it. Or maybe just want some attention (like on South Park lol) Well, my rant is over but i'm sure you get where i'm coming from LOL

Couldn't help but swear a little but this is one thing that just pisses me off :)

electronics that are made to tap into can bus systems in cars have been around pretty much since can bus was implemented as a standard(just for reference, my 2000 bmw 323 uses can bus).Also, can bus is usually will not be tied into a cars throttle or breaking system. It is usually just use for your entertainment systems and climate control. This is really not a problem that you should have to worry about.

No... The CAN bus is not for entertainment, far to low bandwidth (except radio). It's used for things like airbags, the engine control, power steering, the breaks etc.

I have no idea where you got the idea that CAN is only used for entertainment from. It is THE standard for the things that mentioned. Someone with access to all CAN busses on even an old car could accelerate whenever they want, break whenever they they want, fire the airbag, disconnect the breaks, maybe even lock the steering wheel.

No... The CAN bus is not for entertainment, far to low bandwidth (except radio). It's used for things like airbags, the engine control, power steering, the breaks etc.

I have no idea where you got the idea that CAN is only used for entertainment from. It is THE standard for the things that mentioned. Someone with access to all CAN busses on even an old car could accelerate whenever they want, break whenever they they want, fire the airbag, disconnect the breaks, maybe even lock the steering wheel.

Engine management is not often implemented as a can bus system and in the rare case that it is, it is an isolated system. Same goes for most airbag systems. The canbus system that you would easily be able tap into which would most likely be at the obd port, would just be either for diagnostics or be part of the cars climate control system, lights, ect. Also, Canbus is very often used in cars entertainment system. Cars steering wheel controls, radio functions, and in some cars even the displays in the gauge cluster or center console get their data through canbus. I deal with this stuff at my job all the time. Also, in almost every modern car the break system is pretty much all mechanical. You will only find electric power breaks in hybrids and electric cars. even then the electric power breaks are only used as an assist combined with your standard hydraulic break system. If canbus hackers where going to be a problem we would have been hearing about this a very long time ago. There is really nothing to be worried about

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Man I wish this was the case, In Australia manufacturers were only forced to use OBD2 compliant computers from 2006, which means I Need a much more expensive tool than a elm or scantool to hack log onto my cars ECU.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

That's why I like old cars. Why does everything have to have a computer/etc in it for you to buy it?

People are WAY too dependent on technology and computers. I can see something like Wall-E happening in the future...

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

That's why I like old cars. Why does everything have to have a computer/etc in it for you to buy it?

People are WAY too dependent on technology and computers. I can see something like Wall-E happening in the future...

The future (and present) is computers really. I think we need to see much more security in our tech though.

Also, floating in a chair in space doesnt sound that bad :P

The future (and present) is computers really. I think we need to see much more security in our tech though.

Also, floating in a chair in space doesnt sound that bad :P

Technology should be apart of our future, it shouldn't be our future.

And it would be that bad  when you are as unhealthy as the people in Wall-E and are also people who destroyed the planet and are then ruled by the very technology they worshiped. lol

That would be a living hell! :o

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Technology should be apart of our future, it shouldn't be our future.

And it would be that bad when you are as unhealthy as the people in Wall-E and are also people who destroyed the planet and are then ruled by the very technology they worshiped. lol

That would be a living hell! :o

Thats true. But it will inevitably be in almost everything we use sooner or later.

lol "i didnt know the chair was a lifestyle!" -me 2014