ULTIMATE Mac vs PC Editing Challenge ft. iJustine!!

JonoT

Thanks to ASUS for sponsoring this video! Check out the ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo on Amazon (Paid Link) at https://geni.us/Y5fgEtw #DoMoreWithDuo

PC vs Mac - Premiere vs Finalcut. What's the best ecosystem for editing video? In this video, iJustine goes head to head against Taran from Linus Tech Tips to find out- with special guest judges Niko from Corridor, Jenna Ezarik, Bitwit Kyle, and Faruk from iPHonedo!

Thanks to iJustine again for hosting us! Check out the BTS video on her channel at

Thanks to Austin for letting us edit your video. Check out the winner's cut at

It would nice if we could also see Taran final edits. Just wanna see, how different their style and perspective is.

8 minutes ago, Lynx said:

It would nice if we could also see Taran final edits. Just wanna see, how different their style and perspective is.

for sure, also wanted to see his take

I think this was more of a comparing the editor's styles rather than the software ecosystem itself. It was a fun watch, but I'd rather see the two editors doing the same process (handling the same cuts, audio files, etc) and seeing how the performance is. Also being able to see how the UI differs would be neat.

Also would be great to see DaVinci in the mix as well.

Oh Hail Taran the Macro Master though.

Very unfair and not very well thought through. The video is less about what platform it was made on than it was down to personal preferences - and I'm only talking about the editors not the judges.

The only major things I can consider about the platforms and made it to this video were both in favor of Final Cut and only one was technical: 

1) one of the files used was made with Final Cut - personal not technical I'm sure;

2) more importantly Final Cut was the only one that didn't 'break' on use which is the major flaw in Windows overall and can cost money at the end of the day - wasn't shown in the video how long Taran lost recovering from this but add it up in one year times the editor's salary and that's how much it can cost and why a decision can be made towards this or that platform to be used professionally.

Oh and I'm sorry but we can see why Taran doesn't host any more of LTT's videos: still a major diva which is very annoying (even iJustine pokes at it and well… what can I say…)

6 hours ago, scottyseng said:

I think this was more of a comparing the editor's styles rather than the software ecosystem itself. It was a fun watch, but I'd rather see the two editors doing the same process (handling the same cuts, audio files, etc) and seeing how the performance is. Also being able to see how the UI differs would be neat.

Also would be great to see DaVinci in the mix as well.

I think the point of this video is that a mac or a pc doesn't make your video edits magically better regardless of how much experiences you have in video editing.

but yeah I think Linus could have give more limitation and constraints to the competition.

26 minutes ago, JustWantTech said:

I think the point of this video is that a mac or a pc doesn't make your video edits magically better regardless of how much experiences you have in video editing.

but yeah I think Linus could have give more limitation and constraints to the competition.

Given that Justine and Taran each have their own unique styles, limitations and constraints would have invariably favoured one over the other. In the end, I would take the whole video as entertainment. Enjoy it for what it is (a rare opportunity to see two esteemed youtubers in their element) rather than it trying to be an objective competition, and not fuss too much over who won and who didn’t. 

I've seen Austin's video and I have to say either Taran's edited video is utter garbage or the judges were horrible at their job.

It was actually painful for me to watch Austin's video edited by Justine. You know those outdated videos called "Everything wrong with" on youtube, that's Justine's editing. It's literally Everything wrong with.

If rememer correctly, when this idea was pitched over a year ago, the original concept was that iJustine was too use premiere and taran final cut

great video. very professional. the location of the interviews differed allowing the audience to know what was filmed before and after. 

It kind of seems to me the final judgment was made based on the editors' style rather than anything else ?

17 hours ago, JustWantTech said:

...well sure, but that's not quite the same as a "mac vs pc challenge", is it? Not to mention that since they spent the vast majority of their time in the editing program it would have been more of a comparison between FCP and Premiere. In my opinion to make a more relevant comparison they should have presented the editors with a very strict set of guidelines on how that video had to turn out and had all the material already on the machines since there's no reason to have them copy it from the network server during the competition - then they could have measured how long it took each of them to reach that goal.

On 12/24/2019 at 8:59 PM, JonoT said:

Thanks to ASUS for sponsoring this video! Check out the ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo on Amazon (Paid Link) at https://geni.us/Y5fgEtw #DoMoreWithDuo

Also I guess it's a bit weird that the PC used in the competition wasn't chosen to match the mac in specs or price but was provided by a sponsor, but given how the video turned out it wouldn't have made much of a difference.

Still pretty fun, I'd change the title to more closely reflect the content though.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It would be really cool if they started signing their work (as Taran suggested from @ 23:29) so the guys become less invisible.

Maybe not in the video itself as end credits, but have the main scriptwriter, presenter, camera and editor (and others) in the video description area below the video.

That would be pretty sweet.

----------------------------
        Weem

Tarans video:

2 minutes longer, feels longer but it feels more educational/informative than the "winning" one(something people would actually want when deciding on buying one), the winning one feels like a GrayStillPlays video more than a tech video. so I can't help but feel that the winning was editing style more than the context of the actual video. His video could have done without the 2 bad jokes nearing the end, but over all I rather this video than iJustine's.

On 12/24/2019 at 8:19 PM, caincha said:

still a major diva

A diva wouldn't blame themselves for the failure, they would have blamed the equipment, reality tho the equipment did cause him to fail in the time aspect of things and those extra minutes could have meant he would have won. Truth be told it's his personality more than anything, not so much being a diva as you put it but someone who might not be able to work with others (esp in front of a camera, not everyone is like Linus who can deal with cameras 24/7), follow instructions perfectly (aka reading lines) or various other reasons that shouldn't make him be called a diva. Calling one a diva for natural flaws that otherwise wouldn't effect day to day operations is rather how should I put it, ignorant and closed minded. To me Taran won hands down, because his video was cleaner more professional and he had to deal with far worst equipment in the sense of stability, the fact he was able to keep up with Final Cut is absolutely amazing.

FYI I would call iJustine more of a "diva" than Taran and not because she's female but because she fulfills more aspects of a diva personality wise than Taran does. She literally has the dog that goes with the diva stereotype... Also she knew that he had his own personal space but then again he is head editor and tell me when was the last time you saw a head of anything share a room with others in a place as big as LMG? Linus doesn't share his office with his wife or Colton. So why should Taran?

1 hour ago, WeeemRCB said:

in the video description

And when was the last item you actually looked at that thing w/o a specific reason? At least for LMG they display their editors at the end, others should but don't always.

this needs a part II where both swap tools. And then talk about whats cooler on the other side of the wall ?

7 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

She literally has the dog that goes with the diva stereotype

Maddie isn't the kind of dog that "divas" have....and it was filmed at Justine's house, so of course her dog was there.

I agree with others...this really was more just Taryn vs Justine style contest. It was fun, mind you, and I like glimpses behind the scenes into wat goes into making videos like LTT or iJustine's, but I would be interested in a more nuts and bolts comparison....

(That Taryn went from Final Cut to Premiere...and Justine went from Premiere to FC...does speak volumes about how different people just find different tools better for them.)

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

2 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

Maddie isn't the kind of dog that "divas" have....and it was filmed at Justine's house, so of course her dog was there.

I agree with others...this really was more just Taryn vs Justine style contest. It was fun, mind you, and I like glimpses behind the scenes into wat goes into making videos like LTT or iJustine's, but I would be interested in a more nuts and bolts comparison....

Shrink the dog to a purse sized pup and how she treats/acts with it, that's what I'm looking at not the actual dog it self tho doesn't help it's a poodle(let's just call him that). His family tree was an attempt into making a diva dog, so close enough as well.

If you want to see what goes on behind LMGs video editing there is really no better place than Tarans youtube channel it self.

For a studio way of doing things:

For iJustine, I think she explained her madness perfectly in this topics video. Editing wise I don't think she has done a video about that, but a tour...

After rewatching the above video I now think she has taken her frustration with Linus from this video and put it towards Taran

I'd agree that this was more a study of editing styles than the platforms, although I find it notable that Justine won despite having only her iPhone as a second screen -- goes to show that novelties like the Zenbook Pro Duo's extra screen only matter so much in real life.

I would love to know how they'd fare in a no-holds-barred competition with Justine and her Mac Pro versus Taran's full setup.  Although I don't think Taran's macros would still ensure victory at that point.  

From seeing both the videos myself, I just don't think this was a Mac vs. PC, or even FCP vs. Adobe Premiere competition. It was clearly Justine vs. Taran (in video style).

Personally I enjoyed Taran's video edit more, it retained much more useful info and did away with the 2010 style audio clips from Justine's edit.

They were both good in their own right though, Justine's edit was a bit more funny (the 'vegan jokes' in Taran's edit IMO could have been removed or shortened).

Justine's edit was probably better suited for Austin's channel.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

After finally having watched both edits, I really don't understand how Justine's version won. The music is completely random and fades in and out without proper timing. She also cuts off the end of a sentence in (at least) one case. The visual "effects" are too in-your-face for my taste. I do like that it's shorter than Taran's, though.

Taran's version is sleeker, with subtle music that perhaps is a bit too soft, but I'd rather have that than something that drowns out the person speaking. It's a bit too long, though. I feel like at least an additional 2-3 minutes should've been cut out. And the zoom effect is extremely overused. Once or twice in a 10-minute video might be ok, but, what, 50 times? Not ok... Makes the viewer dizzy. Oh, and I think some kind of image stabilization should've been used for the b-roll shots, since much of it is nauseatingly shaky.

My score, had I been a judge on the panel, would've been 6 for Taran and 5 for Justine.

That said, I don't follow Austin's channel, so I can't judge how well either of the two cuts fit in with the rest of his content.

MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | CPU: AMD Ryzen R9 3900X | CPU cooler: Corsair iCue H150i RGB PRO XT | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 CL18 LPX | GPU: Zotac RTX 3080 Trinity OC + Palit RTX 2080 Ti GamingPro OC | SSD: 2 x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB NVMe + Kingston A400 480 GB + Samsung QVO860 1 TB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1000 W Gold | Case: be quiet! Silent Base 801 | Displays: BenQ PD3200U @ 3840x2160 + ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQ @ 2560x1440 | Keyboard: Corsair K68 RGB Cherry MX Red | Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2S

56 minutes ago, bigmug said:

I really don't understand how Justine's version won

Majority of the panel where guys? Not to mention the only female was related. One could argue against that and hell I hate that idea my self but there is a chance of it, and a far bigger one than anyone would admit too.

1 hour ago, bigmug said:

It's a bit too long, though. I feel like at least an additional 2-3 minutes should've been cut out.

Before anyone else uses this complaint again I would like to point out most videos from all 3 channels are about 9-12 minutes in length, so for the average video on all 3 channels featured in this video Tarans video was in fact normal length. I think it is personally Austin that made it feel longer than anything else.

6 hours ago, Commodus said:

versus Taran's full setup.

You do realize that includes LMGs encoding server correct? Personally if that was to happen I would actually call it unfair to Justine.

Probably favorite video in awhile.  I like that when they feature females into this introverted sausage-fest space that is PC hardware and software, its always ones who either genuinely care about it, or atleast have great personality.  Many examples of pandering exist, none of them here have been one.

That said i would love to see a editing showdown that was less hardware/software based, more a comparison between between youtube gaming comedians like vidjeagamedunkey, or some crazy like Aztrosist, or one of the various other silly Gaming ppl on youtube