Budget Gaming Setup CHALLENGE - Scrapyard Wars 8 Part 2

CPotter

I'm liking it so far though it almost seems like it was too easy money wise. When Linus was pitching this on WAN show I remember there being a lot more expectations of teams having to decide who would get the good system and other strategies. Instead it seems like everyone's gone with making roughly equal machines and just splitting the budget evenly into 3 seperate builds.

If this 3 vs 3 tournament format works well and you decide to do another maybe there could be per PC requirements to shake things up and make the allocating of money more interesting.

For example you could adjust the total budget upward and use a theme that each player on a team must represent a different type of PC available to gamers:

• PC 1 is anything goes as long as it fits on the table
  • PC 2 is a laptop. It can have an external monitor, keyboard or even an eGPU but it must have a laptop motherboard powering the setup
  • PC 3 is an upgrade from the PC your parents gave you; It must be bought as a new shrinkwrap PC (no build to order systems) and after any upgrades it must still have the original case and motherboard (you can of course sell off unused components)

I feel like they all have too much money. My favourite scrapyard wars was season 3, since they bodged together something different from random junk. Now it's just the same formula for everyone: A spacious workstation with a 3rd or 4th gen i5 with an upgraded PSU, a 970, 1060, rx 580 or r9 390(which all basically perform the same) and a random 1080p monitor. They aren't even really deal hunting, just getting some functioning PC as quickly as possible. This would be so much more fun if they had half the budget, then they would have to choose between a decent CPU or GPU.

1 hour ago, hsdjfh said:

I feel like they all have too much money. My favourite scrapyard wars was season 3, since they bodged together something different from random junk. Now it's just the same formula for everyone: A spacious workstation with a 3rd or 4th gen i5 with an upgraded PSU, a 970, 1060, rx 580 or r9 390(which all basically perform the same) and a random 1080p monitor. They aren't even really deal hunting, just getting some functioning PC as quickly as possible. This would be so much more fun if they had half the budget, then they would have to choose between a decent CPU or GPU.

That's how the used market is now. Now, all the old tech is super good, serviceable, and cheap. 5 seasons ago, you had to spend hours to find parts that were even close to good. One of Linus's Lenovo machines would've cost $200 for a 4th Gen i5 and everything but the GPU. Linus then bought a r9 390 for $100. He spent a total of $300 for a 4th Gen i5, r9 390, 8gb ram, and a boot ssd. That's a great price for a whole system. Season 3 didn't even include the price for a monitor, mouse, and keyboard. 

Is it just my TN monitor, or is there a bunch of color noise around linus's jacket?

Also RIP linus, inhaling all that solder smoke.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 hours ago, hsdjfh said:

Now it's just the same formula

a formula that brings in cash for linus

dont $top what work$ $ay$ linu$

6 hours ago, OreoCupcakes said:

That's how the used market is now. Now, all the old tech is super good, serviceable, and cheap. 5 seasons ago, you had to spend hours to find parts that were even close to good. One of Linus's Lenovo machines would've cost $200 for a 4th Gen i5 and everything but the GPU. Linus then bought a r9 390 for $100. He spent a total of $300 for a 4th Gen i5, r9 390, 8gb ram, and a boot ssd. That's a great price for a whole system. Season 3 didn't even include the price for a monitor, mouse, and keyboard. 

Except good luck getting some of those GPUs to work in those Thinkcentres. Those Lenovo enterprise desktops/motherboards don't like AMD cards. I guess we will find out next episode!

I like the concept of the season, but I don't feel any drama or tension really... everyone is pretty much done with days to spare in the competition to play and practice. The most drama so far has been Team Luke not paying attention to group chat and missing out on what the end challenges will be and what maps.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

6 hours ago, OreoCupcakes said:

no way they would get it to work with a 270w craptastic PSU, so would need a PSU so you can think $330-$350 range all said and done.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

5 hours ago, amdorintel said:

a formula that brings in cash for linus

dont $top what work$ $ay$ linu$

Can you just stop with this bullshit already?

That post has nothing to do with Linus making money, and you should step back and think about all the bills and salaries he has to pay before you spew more of that "LiNuS jUsT wAnTs To MaKe MoNeY!!!!11!" shit.

You sound like someone who's jealous of their ex for making more money than them.

I have to say  I think it would have added A LOT to the videos if the editors made the teams more clear. 

At some points, I was getting confused about which teams buys what, because I didn't remember exactly who is in what team, as it was shown only on part 1.

Maybe have in a corner of the image small icons of the people in the team, like 3  24x24 pixel icons with the team players, and/or maybe have  some background under the pictures (one color for first team, another color for the other team) ... could be something as simple as a small square filled with that color by the team icons. 

Also another cool stuff would have been to add a sort of summary (a sort of sidebar) every time a team acquired something, like  (when getting a psu):

Progress

[ # # # # #   ]  xxx %

Funds used : $###

Funds left :  $###

Computers

[ 0..3 ] Case

[ 0..3 ] PSU  [ +1 ]<-- blink this line when team buys a psu and show the [ + amount ] for a few seconds

[ 0.. 3] Motherboard

[ 0.. 3] CPU

[0...3] Mouse

[0..3] Headphones

Other

[ check]  Desk

[0..3] Chairs

And have the lines that changed highlighted (or blink for a second or two) and have the progress go up as they get close to getting all the stuff

5 hours ago, Kaws said:

Please Linus concentrate on driving for your and other's safety.

I was actually going to being this up as well... It's obviously not a Tesla with auto pilot but likely his Volt and I wouldn't trust the lane detection from any other company as they are developing them for compliance reasons and not an attempt to actually make autonomous vehicles a thing.

I noticed the steering wheel move and I doubt that is the car but his knee which is still a bad move on his end to do.

I can sell you my msi armor 4gb 950 gpu! i only used it for around 2 months and i could sell it for $250 or maybe $200.shipping could be an issue cus i live in idaho but who knows, we border canada! just need to sell it anyways.

You can hold the wheel with your legs.

Also, if the road is straight line and you're driving slow, it's not like the car will randomly drift to the side or take curves. There's enough time to react and put your hands on the wheel.

Blowing this out of proportions...

• 2 weeks later...

who was the jackbutt on recent WAN show that said "I don't like Scrapyard Wars 8, AND THE WHOLE COMMUNITY AGREES WITH ME" on the recent podcast.  What type of reddit-tier dogpile crap logic is this, "bro we are gonna downvote you irl"

Like i get having a actual criticism but that wasn't one.   I like that gaming has actually worked its way into the series rather then just builds, and i like that its parced out 600$ systems essentially.  Like was said on WAN show these eps are always going to be different, im rather happy they tried this format as it gets more of the staff involved in shenanigans and having to build a whole setup (chairs etc) is honestly, as a broke ass gamer, more the type of thing i've had to deal with.