New Macbook pro announced with new dimensions

williamcll
Just now, Vitamanic said:

Do you not have any retort to the other points i made?

There is no retort to the comments you made. My initial comments speak for themselves regardless of any rebuttal. 

1 minute ago, Vitamanic said:

In what way?

I asked you to find a cheaper laptop than a 16" MacBook Pro with a similar package. That means a laptop with comparable specifications, display, battery life, speakers, and track-pad/keyboard. You did not do that. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

17 hours ago, mr moose said:

But we have been told ad nauseum that expansion hubs are not a problem and make life easier.  ?

Seriously with everything that has happened in the last several years with apple products I don't know how any rational person can promote  their products.  About the only thing going for them is the perceived security/privacy stance they have. 

Well, those massively powerful CPU cores that keep pace with my Haswell desktop are extremely appealing as well. In decoding AV1, A12X is pretty well tied with Haswell, and that's with the latter using AVX2.

The marketing and executives may have a screw or three loose, a fair number of their engineers (particularly the SoC engineers) knows full well what they're doing.

In case anyone gets the idea to shoot this down due to "no one needs that power in their pocket", I'd like to reply with " I'm a hardware nerd, this kind of stuff is neat to me."

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

29 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Syncing is wireless and iCloud and AirDrop handles all file sharing.

Yeah, neither of these things are overly reliable.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

There is no retort to the comments you made. My initial comments speak for themselves regardless of any rebuttal. 

I asked you to find a cheaper laptop than a 16" MacBook Pro with a similar package. That means a laptop with comparable specifications, display, battery life, speakers, and track-pad/keyboard. You did not do that. 

Yeah I'm pretty sure I have comparable specs aside from the display, which... I could have opted for a 4K panel but chose FHD with HDR instead. Absolutely positive the keyboard is of higher quality as I've used both. The travel distance is insanely better.

Either way, when you're resorting to talking about touchpads and speakers to justify 4x the cost, you're really pulling at straws.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

5 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Well, those massively powerful CPU cores that keep pace with my Haswell desktop are extremely appealing as well. In decoding AV1, A12X is pretty well tied with Haswell, and that's with the latter using AVX2.

The marketing and executives may have a screw or three loose, a fair number of their engineers (particularly the SoC engineers) knows full well what they're doing.

In case anyone gets the idea to shoot this down due to "no one needs that power in their pocket", I'd like to reply with " I'm a hardware nerd, this kind of stuff is neat to me."

I'm not too sure how that relates to what I said.    My comments are regarding the macbooks throttling because of power thermal design, butterfly switches and apples atrocious track record on consumer support (acknowledging problems, making parts available let alone making repairs possible, willingness to repair etc.)

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, Vitamanic said:

Yeah I'm pretty sure I have comparable specs aside from the display

So are you suggesting that a Core i9 and the Radeon Pro 5500M to what you selected? I think not. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

I'm not too sure how that relates to what I said.    My comments are regarding the macbooks throttling because of power thermal design, butterfly switches and apples atrocious track record on consumer support (acknowledging problems, making parts available let alone making repairs possible, willingness to repair etc.)

Figured you were referring to Apple products in general, not necessarily just Macs.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Figured you were referring to Apple products in general, not necessarily just Macs.

I was.  I am not saying the individual parts are no good,  just the overall design and asking price and failure to support the consumer post sale.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

So are you suggesting that a Core i9 and the Radeon Pro 5500M to what you selected? I think not. 

When did I ever bring up an i9?! You're moving goalposts. YOU replied to ME speaking about my recent purchase and how speccing out a similar Mac was way more expensive.

That said, the 16 inch i7 model with 1TB of storage is 2,600. So... No, I didn't feel that MacOS was worth a nearly $2,000 premium. I just virtualize it with hardware acceleration now if need be, which to be honest, is getting pretty rare with my workflow now.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

5 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

When did I ever bring up an i9?! You're moving goalposts. YOU replied to ME speaking about my recent purchase and how speccing out a similar Mac was way more expensive.

I specifically stated a high end 16" MacBook Pro

48 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I would like you to take a look at the cost of a high end 16" MBP and try to get a similar package for less cash.

You have not done that!