New Macbook pro announced with new dimensions

williamcll
5 minutes ago, Commodus said:

One of the biggest myths is that YouTubers and other reviewers get products from Apple or other major brands for free... they don't. 

In some cases they do. Intel and AMD both provide product to free for review. Jayztwocents was talking about that in one of his last videos. Intel provides a sample in a plain box while AMD seems to provide product in a retail type of packaging. Though I dont expect Apple to send shit off for free. Also keep in mind other companies like Dbrand are known for giving products to Linus for free, generally with one of their skins on the product. 

Though in some cases a reviewer will buy a product. I think they purchased that high end AIO from Apple, you know the one they broke and Apple refused to repair. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Louis Rossmann. 

There were no glory days for Mac hardware reliability. 

ehhh. He did make a video talking about which Macbooks are safe. LOL. Im waiting to see what his thoughts on this new one is. 

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Louis Rossmann. 

There were no glory days for Mac hardware reliability. 

And?

How a bout a look at wider opinion and reality on the subject. 

https://www.applegazette.com/mac/is-apple-hardware-quality-starting-to-decline/

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/ipad-bendgate-apple-quality-control,news-28901.html

One about software:

https://technologyfutures.info/content/long-slow-decline-apple-software

When the average users sees a major uptick in apple related problems you can't hide behind the odd youtuber who sometimes says things that are just anti apple.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

13 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

In some cases they do. Intel and AMD both provide product to free for review. Jayztwocents was talking about that in one of his last videos. Intel provides a sample in a plain box while AMD seems to provide product in a retail type of packaging. Though I dont expect Apple to send shit off for free. Also keep in mind other companies like Dbrand are known for giving products to Linus for free, generally with one of their skins on the product. 

Though in some cases a reviewer will buy a product. I think they purchased that high end AIO from Apple, you know the one they broke and Apple refused to repair. 

Do AMD and Intel expect units back?  I can understand with products like Dbrand skins, since they're both cheap and can't be reused -- maybe it's that CPU makers are worried about selling refurbs knowing how reviewers often overclock CPUs.

4 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Do AMD and Intel expect units back

Nope. Never watched one of Linus's Videos? He has shit tons of review units. 

5 minutes ago, Commodus said:

can understand with products like Dbrand skins, since they're both cheap and can't be reused

Missed the point dude. Dbrand provides devices. Then puts their skins on the devices. Thats how Linus generally gets phones and Laptops and shit. 

2 hours ago, Commodus said:

One of the biggest myths is that YouTubers and other reviewers get products from Apple or other major brands for free... they don't.  They get a loaner for a few weeks (at most) and have to give it back.

It highly depends on situations. Bigger reviewers get stuff for free for their reviews and while mostly brands themselves send those out quite often it's also some "third party" that gets the product for the reviewer (see how many brands want to send their stuff to Tech Jesus, but he doesn't care because he has connections to get what he wants without even going the "official way"). Getting stuff to review isn't the actual point for reviewers, except smaller ones will do what they can, but bigger ones are really after products before they are released. Like releasing a review of new CPU week later it's release is not a big deal, you could have loaned it from your friend, releasing a review of a new CPU at the same time as it's released is the cake and for that you need to get the CPU far before it's released (this is why you see LTT, BitWit, Jayz and others releasing reviews of the same product at the same time).

Apple in these cases is very special case in these matters, it's one of the most "careful" about their public image and even their main events are invite only and this used to be quite a big thing before Apple allowed live"streaming" their events because if you wanted to write about the event, you needed to be there and if you fell out of the invite list it was impossible to get back and falling off from that list was extremely easy and quite many news outlets managed to fall off for even tiny amount of negative voice for Apple product. Getting Apple stuff before release is probably close to being near impossible without really good connections inside Apple and having extremely good track record giving Apple "good visibility" and at least from the news sources I follow, not a single one is that close to Apple. IIRC writing about iPhones old antenna problem and blaming it on Apples design was enough that few bigger news outlets didn't receive invitation to the next Apple event (or any later), I would guess even hinting that some Apple devices are more prone for bending would drop you off from getting special care from Apple and receiving (buying or just getting) stuff before or as close as possible to release (I would think this is why the few "mac-fanatic" sites I have encountered are extremely protective for Apple, like writing how it's really expensive to fix Macs because reasons that are more like Apple being Apple in their walled-garden or how any design flaw made by Apple is actually just people overreacting to normal behavior of those kind of devices).

5 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

You could buy more modern ones. Or ones that have a removable cable. 

MacBook owners rarely have a separate keyboard and are probably more likely to use wireless keyboards/mice anyway. 

Much cheaper to take my Type A mouse from my desktop and plug it into my laptop whenever I need an external mouse.

That is a fair point, I generally judge all the laptops I consider buying from the same viewpoint. I want my laptops to be as versatile as they can be, without needing anything extra to carry. This is why I like ThinkPads so much.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

6 hours ago, Commodus said:

Dongle life is a bit of a pain, I'll agree, but I do like the universality of Thunderbolt 3...you can at least get a multi-port hub.

"A bit of a pain"?  Buddy, at my workplace, we see these $100 Thunderbolt hubs fail at a rate of about one every two months.  Same story with the HDMI dongles.  First-party, third-party, makes no difference.

At one point we actually had an HDMI dongle that worked fine on a 2016 MBP but not a 2018 MBP, before the dongle croaked a week later.  It was so hot to the touch that we think it died of heat exhaustion.  I'm already on my second HDMI dongle, a Belkin one bought from an Apple store.  You should see the palpitations my 4K display goes through before I get an image:  it blinks, flickers, shows snow, then it the desktop in the wrong resolution with a garish green overlay, then goes blank, then finally everything snaps into place.  Takes 9 seconds.

A bit part of the reason Apple is taking down reviews from their web site is precisely because the first-party and third-party dongles were consistently rated poorly by customers.

Here's a small sampling of real, actual people having real, actual problems.  You can see why Apple finally decided to suppress this......

image.png.f0d620ca2311b98108947503df460030.png

image.png.376cf119684ca4930cad4f15cd4ed1e2.png

image.png.9de2539e2729cb13855b773a60d5b0de.png

5 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

I don't trust other reviewers either that have a bias for Apple products, people getting a $3,000+ laptop for free are going to have a ton of praise for it anyway.

Don't miss the central point of my argument:  have any of these other YouTube reviewers that you "don't trust" interviewed a real, live Apple executive on their channel? 

No.  That privilege has only been granted to Marques, because they know he's "safe".

Same story with John Gruber getting Phill Schiller on his podcast.  Gruber is "safe" -- he's been running a Mac blog since before humanity had the word "blog".

7 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

What isn’t USB-C these days that people actually use on a daily basis? 

Man..... I wish you could hear how stupid this question sounds to the rest of us.  If you don't know the answer to this question already, go talk to people who actually use their Mac for something other than posting on the Internet.

Here's the current Mac Mini...  still has HDMI, Ethernet, and 2x USB.

image.png.e3f2ccfbb50d0c4cce6ab9a50b7147b5.png

Here's the new Mac pro (turned sideways).  Still has HDMI (2x if you get two video cards), Ethernet, and 2x USB.

image.png.0492b3dc78523d6de7ee5040c4264ce4.png

Here's the iMac Pro.  Still has SD-card, Ehternet, and 4x USB.

image.thumb.png.9d983ad67407d84905fd85f1155ee03b.png

If Apple was actually serious about getting rid of other ports, wouldn't they have done it on their desktop products by now?

6 hours ago, Thaldor said:

It highly depends on situations. Bigger reviewers get stuff for free for their reviews and while mostly brands themselves send those out quite often it's also some "third party" that gets the product for the reviewer (see how many brands want to send their stuff to Tech Jesus, but he doesn't care because he has connections to get what he wants without even going the "official way"). Getting stuff to review isn't the actual point for reviewers, except smaller ones will do what they can, but bigger ones are really after products before they are released. Like releasing a review of new CPU week later it's release is not a big deal, you could have loaned it from your friend, releasing a review of a new CPU at the same time as it's released is the cake and for that you need to get the CPU far before it's released (this is why you see LTT, BitWit, Jayz and others releasing reviews of the same product at the same time).

Apple in these cases is very special case in these matters, it's one of the most "careful" about their public image and even their main events are invite only and this used to be quite a big thing before Apple allowed live"streaming" their events because if you wanted to write about the event, you needed to be there and if you fell out of the invite list it was impossible to get back and falling off from that list was extremely easy and quite many news outlets managed to fall off for even tiny amount of negative voice for Apple product. Getting Apple stuff before release is probably close to being near impossible without really good connections inside Apple and having extremely good track record giving Apple "good visibility" and at least from the news sources I follow, not a single one is that close to Apple. IIRC writing about iPhones old antenna problem and blaming it on Apples design was enough that few bigger news outlets didn't receive invitation to the next Apple event (or any later), I would guess even hinting that some Apple devices are more prone for bending would drop you off from getting special care from Apple and receiving (buying or just getting) stuff before or as close as possible to release (I would think this is why the few "mac-fanatic" sites I have encountered are extremely protective for Apple, like writing how it's really expensive to fix Macs because reasons that are more like Apple being Apple in their walled-garden or how any design flaw made by Apple is actually just people overreacting to normal behavior of those kind of devices).

I'm definitely familiar with embargoes and the desire to get loaners in advance!  With that said, I still don't think it hurts the quality of the reviews.

I don't recall anyone getting booted off Apple's event/advance unit list for their stance on Antennagate.  You might be thinking of Gizmodo, which got blacklisted after it bought a prototype iPhone 4 and then refused to hand it over until they'd written an article, even after Steve Jobs called.  Yeah, that's not going to keep you in any company's good books.

Some Apple-focused sites are overly defensive, but at the same time, there is a balance to be struck between that and some of the anti-Apple hyperbole you occasionally see in places like... well, here.  You'd think Apple was some tyrannical government, or that having non-removable storage was the end of the world.  No, not really.  There are consequences to those decisions, some of them negative, but the rationale isn't necessarily malicious.

5 hours ago, warrenr said:

"A bit of a pain"?  Buddy, at my workplace, we see these $100 Thunderbolt hubs fail at a rate of about one every two months.  Same story with the HDMI dongles.  First-party, third-party, makes no difference.

At one point we actually had an HDMI dongle that worked fine on a 2016 MBP but not a 2018 MBP, before the dongle croaked a week later.  It was so hot to the touch that we think it died of heat exhaustion.  I'm already on my second HDMI dongle, a Belkin one bought from an Apple store.  You should see the palpitations my 4K display goes through before I get an image:  it blinks, flickers, shows snow, then it the desktop in the wrong resolution with a garish green overlay, then goes blank, then finally everything snaps into place.  Takes 9 seconds.

A bit part of the reason Apple is taking down reviews from their web site is precisely because the first-party and third-party dongles were consistently rated poorly by customers.

Here's a small sampling of real, actual people having real, actual problems.  You can see why Apple finally decided to suppress this......

image.png.f0d620ca2311b98108947503df460030.png

image.png.376cf119684ca4930cad4f15cd4ed1e2.png

image.png.9de2539e2729cb13855b773a60d5b0de.png

But we have been told ad nauseum that expansion hubs are not a problem and make life easier.  ?

Seriously with everything that has happened in the last several years with apple products I don't know how any rational person can promote  their products.  About the only thing going for them is the perceived security/privacy stance they have. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

9 hours ago, mr moose said:

Seriously with everything that has happened in the last several years with apple products I don't know how any rational person can promote  their products.  About the only thing going for them is the perceived security/privacy stance they have. 

Because we know these issues happen all the time with Android and Windows products, but they're not talked about because they get lumped into a generic "technology is quirky" pile where Apple is singled out.  Dell, HP and other brands have terrible build quality and support problems that sometimes make Apple look sterling by comparison.  And I laugh at the people who rail against Apple for using Chinese factories with rough working conditions, but then turn to using an Android phone made in the exact same conditions, a Windows PC made in the exact same conditions, a console made in the exact same conditions... There's this attitude some have that I like to call the Only Apple Does Bad Things mindset, where they pretend that non-Apple products are flawless products made by factory staff who work 7.5-hour days and sip peppermint lattes during breaks.

And there's one good reason to back Apple products even if you don't care to use them: because Apple is the only real bulwark against total monopolies by Google and Microsoft in the smartphone and mainstream computing spaces.  It's baffling that people complain about Google's privacy intrusions, Microsoft's ads/metrics or just the "race to the bottom" in Android/Windows devices, yet fantasize about giving these companies complete control.  Apple is far from saintly, but it does hold its ground in places where Google and Microsoft are all too willing to compromise.

For that matter, there are device categories where Apple is really the only one sustaining the high end, and in many cases because Google, Microsoft and vendors refuse to serve those customers properly.  The 16-inch MacBook Pro is probably the only major high-end, high-performance laptop that's aimed at both consumers and pros.  The iPad dominates the higher end of the tablet market because nearly every Android tablet is aimed at the low end (Samsung's Galaxy Tab S5e/S6 are the most notable exceptions).  And like it or not, the Apple Watch is so far above most other smartwatches that it's actually a bit tragic.  I want Android and Windows vendors to compete in those spaces, but it feels like they've either failed to understand those spaces or have simply given up.

16 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Because we know these issues happen all the time with Android and Windows products, but they're not talked about because they get lumped into a generic "technology is quirky" pile where Apple is singled out.  Dell, HP and other brands have terrible build quality and support problems that sometimes make Apple look sterling by comparison.  And I laugh at the people who rail against Apple for using Chinese factories with rough working conditions, but then turn to using an Android phone made in the exact same conditions, a Windows PC made in the exact same conditions, a console made in the exact same conditions... There's this attitude some have that I like to call the Only Apple Does Bad Things mindset, where they pretend that non-Apple products are flawless products made by factory staff who work 7.5-hour days and sip peppermint lattes during breaks.

Others usually don't advertise their products being "superior" in every way possible and when a flaw is found go full defense "but the others do the same". Everybody knows the cheap stuff is made cheaply and immorally and nobody expects any better, except when the product is Apple which advertises "We care deeply about the people who build our products, and the planet we all share. So we hold ourselves and our suppliers to the highest standards to ensure everyone is treated with dignity and respect. And we share our work openly so others can follow our lead." and then is found to be just the same shit as everybody else.

And there's one good reason to back Apple products even if you don't care to use them: because Apple is the only real bulwark against total monopolies by Google and Microsoft in the smartphone and mainstream computing spaces.  It's baffling that people complain about Google's privacy intrusions, Microsoft's ads/metrics or just the "race to the bottom" in Android/Windows devices, yet fantasize about giving these companies complete control.  Apple is far from saintly, but it does hold its ground in places where Google and Microsoft are all too willing to compromise.

Apple is also the biggest company against everything and anything to be "gold standard" in the industry. Which flagship phone you cannot charge with USB-C cable? iPhone (it uses Lightning, not USB-C even if the cables other end is USB-C instead of USB-A). Which smartwatch and headphones requires you to have one specific manufacturers phone (out of the box)? Apple Watch and Air Pods.

Like yeah, it's great that they stand against data collection but at the same time they stand against everything else also because they want to be some special snowflake. But their adapter-hells and walled-garden are the things to stay the fuck away from them and hope Samsung is the only one taking notes from them and creating their own walled-garden to Apples like. On the software level that's even more disgusting, liek the whole Metal-API which seems to be created only to strengthen Apple-gardens walls to make people choose between creating iOS and Android app just because Metal is that incompatible with others. How about supporting Vulkan? "No, we have Metal" Like at the point where someone who isn't bound to their direct competitor comes with a solution that really is excellent and supports everything out of the box, Apple doesn't support it because they have developed their own "better" version exactly like the shit with nano-SIM standard.

51 minutes ago, Thaldor said:

Others usually don't advertise their products being "superior" in every way possible and when a flaw is found go full defense "but the others do the same". Everybody knows the cheap stuff is made cheaply and immorally and nobody expects any better, except when the product is Apple which advertises "We care deeply about the people who build our products, and the planet we all share. So we hold ourselves and our suppliers to the highest standards to ensure everyone is treated with dignity and respect. And we share our work openly so others can follow our lead." and then is found to be just the same shit as everybody else.

You mean marketing is being used to exaggerate the capabilities of something beyond reality?  I'm shocked.  Shocked

(Seriously, if you think marketing hyperbole makes it acceptable to single out a company while excusing crappiness among others, you need to readjust your perspective.) 

And again, it's not just that "others do the same," it's that there are some genuinely worse practices among Android and Windows vendors that are glossed over -- and if you don't acknowledge that common issues are common issues, they won't be truly fixed.

1 hour ago, Thaldor said:

Apple is also the biggest company against everything and anything to be "gold standard" in the industry. Which flagship phone you cannot charge with USB-C cable? iPhone (it uses Lightning, not USB-C even if the cables other end is USB-C instead of USB-A). Which smartwatch and headphones requires you to have one specific manufacturers phone (out of the box)? Apple Watch and Air Pods.

Like yeah, it's great that they stand against data collection but at the same time they stand against everything else also because they want to be some special snowflake. But their adapter-hells and walled-garden are the things to stay the fuck away from them and hope Samsung is the only one taking notes from them and creating their own walled-garden to Apples like. On the software level that's even more disgusting, liek the whole Metal-API which seems to be created only to strengthen Apple-gardens walls to make people choose between creating iOS and Android app just because Metal is that incompatible with others. How about supporting Vulkan? "No, we have Metal" Like at the point where someone who isn't bound to their direct competitor comes with a solution that really is excellent and supports everything out of the box, Apple doesn't support it because they have developed their own "better" version exactly like the shit with nano-SIM standard.

This is demonstrably false.

Apple was involved in developing USB-C.  Hello, the 16-inch MacBook Pro we're talking about relies exclusively on USB-C ports (well, TB3) for I/O?  It helped create Thunderbolt, for that matter.  NanoSIM is a real standard.  You can credit Apple with the rise of HTML5 and the long-deserved death of Flash.  And while Apple did implement DRM on iTunes purchases, its push for DRM-free downloads is precisely why virtually all music download stores today use unprotected files.

Apple has a general rule: it uses standards if they're actual standards (i.e. not controlled by one or two companies) and will provide a meaningful benefit over a proprietary solution.  And like it or not, Apple sometimes has the better option.  Yeah, it's not great that Apple is still using Lightning now, but remember that it also launched the first Lightning devices in 2012, or years before the first USB-C devices started showing up.  Metal I don't deny is meant to encourage iOS/Mac development, but I'd like to see what advantages Metal might have over Vulkan, if any, before assuming that it's purely about lock-in.

4 hours ago, Commodus said:

Because we know these issues happen all the time with Android and Windows products.

Deflection.   Not talking about other products,  and even if we were, I would simply point you to the forums where people discuss issues with other brands and recommend not buying certain brands based on company behavior.   When was the last time you saw someone recommend a lenovo after the superfish episode?  they didn't. because we don't. 

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

but I'd like to see what advantages Metal might have over Vulkan, if any, before assuming that it's purely about lock-in.

The main difference metal has compared to other display technologies is you can issue commands from more than one CPU thread (and even issue draw calls from the GPU itself) what this means practically is that the single core performance is not the limiting factor of your frame rate.

in OpenGL, DX and Vulkan you can only issue draw calls (etc) from a single CPU thread. So if you have a complex scene and you want to hit a given frame rate (say 120Hz, like the ipadPro) you need to do all of these calls from a single core on your cpu so you need a fast CPU core. However with metal you can split these calls between many cpu threads and even some GPU shaders and do things like update data on the gpu and issue a draw call without evolving the cpu. This means rather than having a single core running at a high speed you can have a few cors running at a lower speed. This saves a LOT of power since the power a cpu consumes is non-linear compared to its single core speed. This is a big boost when it comes to MOBILE battery performance. 

On 11/29/2019 at 12:50 PM, DrMacintosh said:

What isn’t USB-C these days that people actually use on a daily basis? 

Your iPhone.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

2 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

Your iPhone.

Lighting to USB-C. Cost me, what? $10?

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

Apple was involved in developing USB-C.  Hello, the 16-inch MacBook Pro we're talking about relies exclusively on USB-C ports (well, TB3) for I/O?  It helped create Thunderbolt, for that matter.  NanoSIM is a real standard.  You can credit Apple with the rise of HTML5 and the long-deserved death of Flash.  And while Apple did implement DRM on iTunes purchases, its push for DRM-free downloads is precisely why virtually all music download stores today use unprotected files.

Apple has a general rule: it uses standards if they're actual standards (i.e. not controlled by one or two companies) and will provide a meaningful benefit over a proprietary solution.  And like it or not, Apple sometimes has the better option.  Yeah, it's not great that Apple is still using Lightning now, but remember that it also launched the first Lightning devices in 2012, or years before the first USB-C devices started showing up.  Metal I don't deny is meant to encourage iOS/Mac development, but I'd like to see what advantages Metal might have over Vulkan, if any, before assuming that it's purely about lock-in.

Since 2009 EU has driven for phone manufacturers to use common charging port to reduce waste created from having multiple different chargers and cables, today Apple is the only one who uses a lot of money to lobby for a loophole in that regulation to keep using their Lightning port over micro-USB and now over USB-C (source). If you didn't know when NanoSIM standard was in forming ETSI wanted the whole industry behind one standard and so every device maker needed to agree, first option came from Apple (which probably had already started or designed iPhone 5) and was what we have now, nobody else liked it because this was one of a kind chance to fix old problems with the SIM-card, so Nokia and RIM challenged the Apples proposition with a new nanoSIM cards which would have been real upgrades over then already decade old design with only plastic cut away, it got really dirty really fast Apple getting SanDisk (maker of the original SIM) behind them and them threatening to lock away every and all patents for other than Apples proposition (because other propositions would have made SanDisks patents obsolete and probably costed them some royalties) Apple saying their nanoSIM design will be royalty free while Nokia saying their proposition will be completely free, but in the end Apple got it's will through by forcing ISPs vote for them and things really weren't going to go anywhere while Apple was steering the boat of their own proposition. And if you really know the history of HTML5, you really don't want to credit Apple for it, to name one thing the video-element which is still a fucking mess even after Cisco went and threw money on the problem and mostly that's a trouble because Apple still wants to only support MPEG over anything and everybody should pay royalties like Apple does even when there are options which doesn't include paying to support them.

Metal vs. Vulkan is heavily on the lock-in. Apple doesn't give Metal to anybody else and Apple probably still does everything to keep Vulkan (or as it's known MoltenVK) away. In comparison Metal is supported on iOS, macOS and tvOS while Vulkan is supported on Android, Linux, Windows, Switch, Tizen and through MoltenVK on macOS (also Stadia runs on Vulkan). And the whole debate comes from Khronos thinking a bit too long to upgrade OpenGL to something competing with DirectX11 and 12 and Apple did it's own decision and made Metal and Khronos evolved OpenGL and  AMDs Mantle into Vulkan, which then was rejected by Apple and still Apple refuses to support it in any form which then was countered by Khronos by making API that is Vulkan but instead works on Metal and it wasn't even free at first before Valve jumped in and threw money at the problem making MoltenVK open-source and free and so started Apples fight against it by banning all apps from their stores using it. There isn't a single technical reason why Apple couldn't support Vulkan natively, more or less Apples hardware choices apart from their own designs are behind creating Vulkan (AMD), it's just that Apple doesn't want to support it.

14 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Lighting to USB-C. Cost me, what? $10?

That's not really the point. The cable that comes with Apple's flagship phone doesn't connect to their flagship laptop. It's pretty absurd.

Having to carry around extra dongles and cables for all of your gear is a really sloppy design choice. It's definitely one of the reasons why I moved on from Mac a few months ago with my latest notebook purchase. That and the fact that I could no longer support spending 2.8k on a machine that I could spec out PC side for 600 bucks. The brand premium is out of control these days.

1 minute ago, Vitamanic said:

The cable that comes in Apple's flagship phone doesn't connect to their flagship laptop. It's pretty absurd.

iPhone's don't need to connect to Macs anymore. Syncing is wireless and iCloud and AirDrop handles all file sharing.

2 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

Having to carry around extra dongles and cables for all of your gear is a really sloppy design choice.

And designing a laptop whose I/O can become obsolete or have a dedicated port fail is also a sloppy design choice. If a Laptops dedicated power port dies, how are you going to charge your laptop? On a MacBook any of the USB-C/TB 3 ports are usable for charging and the TB3 controllers ensure that your I/O never has to be outdated or limited by your number of physical ports. 

4 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

The brand premium is out of control these days.

I would like you to take a look at the cost of a high end 16" MBP and try to get a similar package for less cash. You perspective is warped.  

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

12 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

iPhone's don't need to connect to Macs anymore. Syncing is wireless and iCloud and AirDrop handles all file sharing.

Phone recovery and charging is still a thing.

And designing a laptop whose I/O can become obsolete or have a dedicated port fail is also a sloppy design choice. If a Laptops dedicated power port dies, how are you going to charge your laptop? On a MacBook any of the USB-C/TB 3 ports are usable for charging and the TB3 controllers ensure that your I/O never has to be outdated or limited by your number of physical ports. 

If my laptop's charging port fails, I can then use one of the two thunderbolt ports to power it? Easy.

I would like you to take a look at the cost of a high end 16" MBP and try to get a similar package for less cash. You perspective is warped.  

I literally just did a few months ago. i7, mx250, 16GB, 1TB of SSD storage, FHD LG IPS WLED panel, backlit keyboard, etc. I paid 668 and change.

5 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

I literally just did a few months ago. i7, mx250, 16GB, 1TB of SSD storage, FHD LG IPS WLED panel, backlit keyboard, etc. I paid 608 and change.

You completely ignored the parameters of my challenge. 

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

You completely ignored the parameters of my challenge. 

In what way? Lol, as explained, I was a Mac user that faced the dilemma and decided to switch and spec out a comparable machine a few months ago.

Do you not have any retort to the other points i made?