Intel ( finally ) Kills Kaby Lake ( including Kaby Lake G, the processors that used AMD graphics )

Shreyas1

In addition to Kaby Lake-G's demise, Intel is also retiring the Kaby Lake desktop processors. Intel has issued a PCN (product change notification) document announcing that the chipmaker is officially discontinuing its 7th Generation Kaby Lake (KBL) Core, Celeron and Pentium desktop processors.

So, if you don't remember Kaby lake, it was just a Skylake refresh with some mild improvements. It was basically a knee-jerk reaction to 1st gen Ryzen. ( I was told that this statement was factually incorrect by @SpaceGhostC2C. Thanks! ) Even though it was on the same process ( 14 nm), the Ryzen CPUs had up to 8 cores while intel was still stuck on 4. 

I don't know why it took them this long, and I have no idea who was buying intel kaby lake when both Ryzen and intel 8/9th gen exist.

Intel is also discounting Kaby Lake G

The idea behind the chips was bold: A seemingly-unholy collaboration between Intel and AMD that would offer enough graphics horsepower to unseat Nvidia's mobile GPU offerings, but Kaby Lake-G processors never gained the expected level of support from OEM's. Precious few laptops adopted the radical new design, which paired an Intel 14nm Intel processor with a discrete AMD Vega graphics chip on a single package by connecting the two components with a PCIe link.

"

Intel is refocusing its product portfolio. Our 10th Gen Intel Core processors with Iris Plus graphics are built on the new Gen11 graphics architecture that nearly doubled graphics performance. We have more in store from our graphics engine that will bring further enhancements to PCs in the future."

The statement affirms that Intel will lean on its own proprietary graphics solutions moving forward, which makes sense given the deepening competition between the two historical rivals. 

TBH I forgot this existed lol. Still wonder why they did not phase this out earlier

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-discontinue-kaby-lake-g-amd-graphics,40577.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-retires-kaby-lake-desktop-processors,40601.html

Edited by Shreyas1

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

giphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

Intel architectures be like...

5 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

Even though it was on the same process ( 14 nm)

where have I heard that one before

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Of course it never took off, people just couldn't understand Intel CPU with AMD GPU paired in a device. They were always used to Intel crappy graphics lol

its pretty sad that the colab chip never went anywhere, i thought it was pretty cool

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

That means that Intel flagship NUC will no longer exists, and no longer be gaming ready to any reasonable levels. Unless they expect to release a new chip with AMD graphics.

I have to give credit, that small NUC that they made is awesome for someone looking for a tiny desktop and light gaming, and/or ensure multi-high-res display setup with solid performance and more solid drivers than Intel's. You can even just attach that under the desk and now it doesn't take any space on it, and have easy access to power button and ports.

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

That means that Intel flagship NUC will no longer exists, and no longer be gaming ready to any reasonable levels. Unless they expect to release a new chip with AMD graphics.

I have to give credit, that small NUC that they made is awesome for someone looking for a tiny desktop and light gaming, and/or ensure multi-high-res display setup with solid performance and more solid drivers than Intel's. You just attach that under the desk even, and now it doesn't take any space.

No, they are planning to release Intel CPU with newly designed GPU they have after poaching Raja from AMD...

So Intel is making a mainstream iGPU greater than UHD 630? Any idea when we can expect this? And if it will compete with AMD's current iGPU offerings? 

Intel hasn't exactly impressed me lately.

2 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

So Intel is making a mainstream iGPU greater than UHD 630? Any idea when we can expect this? And if it will compete with AMD's current iGPU offerings? 

Supposedly the 1000G7 series 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

No, they are planning to release Intel CPU with newly designed GPU they have after poaching Raja from AMD...

Considering how buggy Intel GPU drivers are, including options sliders that worked on reverse from the description, Microsoft having to send engineers to Intel to fix their graphics solution so that people have battery life and stop assuming that Windows is the issue, takes ages to fix issues. And continuous lies for years about having full OpenGL and DirectX support when games crashes left and right with unsupported DirectX or OpenGL calls. I have no hope for Intel GPUs.

12 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

So, if you don't remember Kaby lake, it was just a Skylake refresh with some mild improvements. It was basically a knee-jerk reaction to 1st gen Ryzen. Even though it was on the same process ( 14 nm), the Ryzen CPUs had up to 8 cores while intel was still stuck on 4. 

That's somewhat inaccurate: Kaby Lake launched before Ryzen, as another step in the "refine Sandy Bridge forever as long as there's no competition in sight" plan. Ryzen launched a few months later, which prompted Intel to scramble with Coffee Lake (and X299 on the HEDT side) after little more than 6 months from KL launch.

12 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

I don't know why it took them this long, and I have no idea who was buying intel kaby lake when both Ryzen and intel 8/9th gen exist.

One reason is Kaby Lake G itself, as there is no replacement for it yet. Another reason is people with 1151 motherboards not compatible with newer CPUs. A probably far more important reason are OEM partners selling KL-based products and servicing warranties, which in turn Intel is contractually forced to supply for a certain time window.

In the end, people buying CPUs separately are a very small fraction of the market.

Remember when the i7-7700k was the bees knees?
Pepperidge farms remembers.

The 7700k was quickly left for dead the second the 300 series boards came out.
(cries)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

4 minutes ago, Junky Cat said:

(cries)

IDK, my friend still runs a 7700K with SLI 1080s and doesn't seem to have any performance issues ?

Has mainly been dumped because hexacores exist on the mainstream now and people overcharge for used i7s so they're a bad value. Not the fault of the chip though, it's still solid. I'm obsessed with HEDT rn but I'd still love to get my hands on one, when I got into building computers they were the big boyes (closest I've ever been was building a rig with a 6700K). Same as how when I first got into tech the iPhone 5S was the best around, first 64 bit chip and all that, they kinda have a special place in my heart but again I've never owned one, lol. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

saltyness increases lol

got the 7700k couple years back though, still games good on my TV

Only thing saving 7700K is clock. And only if you've overclocked it by hand. Stock it's frankly not being enough given it's really just a quad core...

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Considering how buggy Intel GPU drivers are, including options sliders that worked on reverse from the description, Microsoft having to send engineers to Intel to fix their graphics solution so that people have battery life and stop assuming that Windows is the issue, takes ages to fix issues. And continuous lies for years about having full OpenGL and DirectX support when games crashes left and right with unsupported DirectX or OpenGL calls. I have no hope for Intel GPUs.

My understanding is that large portions of the current Intel GPU team were poached from people that helped make the Kaby Lake-G project. Don't know how much truth there is to that, but there are certainly some former AMD graphics engineers at Intel now.

New Intel GPUs are going to have teething problems. Just like every other new thing does. Will be interesting to see if they turn out to be not garbage, given how many times they've tried this before in one form or another.

40 minutes ago, Junky Cat said:

(cries)

Hugs his 7700k ?

still does me proud...for now lol

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

On 10/10/2019 at 7:17 AM, GoodBytes said:

I have to give credit, that small NUC that they made is awesome for someone looking for a tiny desktop and light gaming, and/or ensure multi-high-res display setup with solid performance and more solid drivers than Intel's. You can even just attach that under the desk and now it doesn't take any space on it, and have easy access to power button and ports.

On 10/10/2019 at 7:29 AM, RejZoR said:

On 10/10/2019 at 7:29 AM, Okjoek said:

Yup.

ryzen_surface_edition_preliminary-100812780-orig.jpg

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3442752/what-we-know-about-the-custom-ryzen-surface-edition-processor-in-the-surface-laptop-3.html

On 10/10/2019 at 10:17 AM, GoodBytes said:

Isn't there a NUC with RX 550 graphics? I know that's not anywhere near as fast as the Vega M GL/GH but it's still something if you want a NUC with dedicated graphics.