High-end AMD Navi cards are on the way

off wave surfer
1 hour ago, steelo said:

So, let me get this straight...in your world, posters aren't allowed to have related conversations if it isn't a direct response to the OP.

Gotcha.

Rofl!

That's not what I said at all. Not sure how you gleaned that one out.

20 minutes ago, SADS said:

Rofl!

That's not what I said at all. Not sure how you gleaned that one out.

"The amount of people incapable of reading the original post properly before posting is ludicrous."

Gee, seems pretty straightforward to me. Look, I'm not trying to start a fight with you. Comments like those just piss people off. Just saying.

Not surprising they're doing it, but the questions we could use getting answered is how does it perform, at what cost, at what power? And when :D

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, porina said:

Not surprising they're doing it, but the questions we could use getting answered is how does it perform, at what cost, at what power? And when :D

Given how RX 5700 series perform and assuming it scales well, it'll perform really well. And be available and priced well coz no HBM2.

18 hours ago, steelo said:

"The amount of people incapable of reading the original post properly before posting is ludicrous."

Gee, seems pretty straightforward to me. Look, I'm not trying to start a fight with you. Comments like those just piss people off. Just saying.

"Gee, seems pretty straightforward to me"

Well I guess it wasn't as you read it totally wrong.

"Look, I'm not trying to start a fight with you"

.... right.

"Comments like those just piss people off. Just saying."

You think that people saying "That's too many SKUs!!!" without reading that those are all just "possible model names" that are basically just being reserved 'just in case' doesn't piss anyone off? :P

It's like not only is the OP not being read properly, but neither are anybodies comments too!

6 hours ago, off wave surfer said:

Since Nvidia torpedoed the RX5700(XT) launch with the RTX Super series cards (...)

I have to disagree with this statement. The RX5700 (XT) are very competitive with (although not beating) the Super lineup, while costing less. I think it is AMD who torpedoed the Super series.

In any case, it is good that you can at least make the argument both ways, which means we finally have competition.

What's with the last RX 590?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Way too many models. This idiocy of filling every god damn price bracket needs to die. Imagine having 15 car trim levels instead of usual 3-4.

Except those video cards aren't some variant of the same basic design. A trim level describes the same car, just with different options. A Mazda2 isn't a "trim" of a Mazda3. Likewise a Polaris 12 isn't a "trim" level of a Polaris 30. Looking at the RX 500 series, everything from the RX 540 and up were built from four GPU implementations, despite there being 10 different video cards using a Polaris GPU in the RX 500 series. So on average, there were only 2-3 "trims" of the video card using the same GPU implementation.

Besides, a lot of out-of-the-blue video cards tend to be from GPUs that are mostly working but couldn't pass the QA for the video card for which it was intended. Why throw away something like that? Reuse it and at least recoup some cost. And also, system builders may ask for something like an in-betweener, in which case you end up with something like that OEM only 5GB GTX 1060.

7 hours ago, Arika S said:

gotta not have blower coolers for me to care.

its a real blow for sure

15 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Iirc AMD and Nvidia did too many, and confusing named ones too, between 2000 and 2007ish.  Might be wrong.

It was pretty tame until GeForce FX and the Radeon 9000 series.

Though the GeForce 6800 and 8800 both tie for the worst at having 7 versions of the series, up to 11 different configurations, and using around 3-4 different GPU implementations.

33 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Though the GeForce 6800 and 8800 both tie for the worst at having 7 versions of the series, up to 11 different configurations, and using around 3-4 different GPU implementations.

ATI's X800/X850 series? lol 11 AGP versions/configurations and 13 PCIe versions, 24 total.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.c56a0ed2e9f6287454d16dab92b2b88d.png

9 hours ago, off wave surfer said:

RX 5950XT *

Sounds like we're gonna get something crazy with water cooling now

7 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Still need memory power consumption and it's likely a high end card would roll with HBM again.

I would hope that AMD learned their lesson. It seems like GDDR6 is more than fast enough to feed Nvidia's high end, while being much cheaper to implement and it would allow them to get their memory all in bulk for their entire lineup. The only real cost is PCB space (basically irrelevant outside of cool factor) and power consumption, which as you point out should be manageable with lower clocks. 

It's certainly not impossible for them to offer some Titan-equivalent with HBM, it just seems extremely unwarranted especially given the fact that Radeon still seems to be existing off of table scraps. Making a lineup of all GDDR based cards with just more/less CUs seems much cheaper to both R&D and produce. 

Took them fucking long enough.

Turns out, looking like the budget option isn't really a good look.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

6 hours ago, williamcll said:

What's with the last RX 590?

Shhhhhh..... theres no such thing

✨FNIGE✨

This looks more like a brand name reservation list. Not an actual list of products.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

7 hours ago, MMKing said:

This looks more like a brand name reservation list. Not an actual list of products.

Which is exatly what it says in the OP....

58 minutes ago, SADS said:

Which is exatly what it says in the OP....

People quite often post just to reiterate.  Especially when the content is rumor/conjecture like this.  We have a list of product names listed with an economic commission.  Maybe some won't exist maybe all will, maybe this falls in line with other rumors people have seen, who knows? 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

22 hours ago, off wave surfer said:

hopefully the higher end Navi cards will give the RTX Super lineup a run for its money, as its possible that these Navi cards were designed to beat/match the regular RXT cards.

The higher Navi cards will do a lot more than compete with existing super cards. Remember the RX 5700xt has only 40 CUs. And the RX 5700 has only 36 CUs, which is the same as Polaris, yet it outperforms a vega 64 which has 64 CUs!

So a bigger 64 CU Navi GPU will easily beat the RTX 2080 super. It will have to compete with the 2080 ti plus next gen Nvidia. Probably next gen Nvidia as I don't see AMD releasing this within the next few months.

Also Now with the older gcn bottlenecks being shaken off the GPUs should continue to scale performance well by going wide which means AMD does not need to push high clockspeeds in order to get higher performance, this is important as it will enable them to keep TDP within control.

22 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

But I literally just bought a 2080 Ti aaaaaa noooooooo buyers remorse is too real.... Never cared about DXR I just wanted the fastest gaming card :/

Can't wait for the 2080 Ti Super to come out XD

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

4 minutes ago, Humbug said:

So a bigger 64 CU Navi GPU will easily beat the RTX 2080 super. It will have to compete with the 2080 ti plus next gen Nvidia. 

1) That's conjecture. There's no way to know how well it scales.

2) It really depends if they can keep it cool. I assume they'll switch to a proper open air cooler, but even the 1080 Ti (the equivalent of a 2080 Super) could be adequately cooled with a blower fan. The 5700XT currently runs pretty hot.

With the exception of Ryzen, efficiency has long been a weak point for AMD. Unless we end up with another R9 Fury X situation (which was so freaking hot it came with an AIO just for stock speeds), I doubt this will really give comparable performance.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

43 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

1) That's conjecture. There's no way to know how well it scales.

We have enough data to speculate on worst case scenarios, although not enough to make proper performance predictions.

Even if it scales as badly as GCN you can look at the performance difference between a 38 CU GCN part and a 64 CU GCN part. i.e. comparing a RX 590 to a Vega 64 you have a 45% performance difference at 1440p. (Choose these two as they have similar clockspeeds).

Then take the 38 CU RDNA part, the RX 5700 and add 45% performance on top of that to simulate a 64 CU RDNA part. You have RTX 2080ti performance at 1440p. And in the games that you don't it's still a lot closer to the 2080ti than it is to the 2080 super.

This is the worst case scenario assuming no scaling improvements from GCN to RDNA.

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

2) It really depends if they can keep it cool. I assume they'll switch to a proper open air cooler, but even the 1080 Ti (the equivalent of a 2080 Super) could be adequately cooled with a blower fan. The 5700XT currently runs pretty hot.

The blower 1080(ti) are about as hot as the 5700(XT).