Why do youtubers have intros?

Hawick

Just why? I'm not talking about the minute long cringefest intros. Even the shorter ones like 5-10 sec ones are annoying. Why the eff do all youtubers feel the need to put a goddamn intros in their videos? Just cut to the chase, no one cares about the intro. 

Just asking.

To remember their channel's name?

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

I don't mind the 5-10 second ones; it's the ones that last longer than that are the ones that annoy the snot out of me. Them and the ones wtth loud music (or whatever they call it) at the beginning. Then there are the ones with no narration but play really loud music with an even louder beat throughout the video. ?

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

I guess it's for the same reason TV shows have intros, to establish a theme and introduce you to the video.

What others said are the main reasons. Mainly recognition and basic 'introduction' type stuff.

Personally I have a habit of pressing 'L' a couple of times with any YouTube video, because I have found that usually skips the intros, ad integrations, background (which I often don't need) and just gets me into the video right away 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

On 7/26/2019 at 7:20 AM, Minibois said:

What others said are the main reasons. Mainly recognition and basic 'introduction' type stuff.

Personally I have a habit of pressing 'L' a couple of times with any YouTube video, because I have found that usually skips the intros, ad integrations, background (which I often don't need) and just gets me into the video right away 

Lol I gotta try that.

I like intros 

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

i will say it gets boring to see every other person using an after effects intro (which all look like they followed the same tutorial) with dubstep playing in the background

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

It's an easy way to pad the video with 30s of non-content. Sometimes you need to get over the 10 minute mark in order to get ads and monetization on the video.

It can help to create an artificial separation between the ads Youtube plays before the video, which the person may often skip, and bits like "This video was sponsored by SquareSpace or DollarShaveClub".... you have ads -> intro -> brief presentation about the video -> sponsored by -> content

It can help reduce friction, reduce annoyance, even if it's somewhat unconscious.

Historically, live streams and internet videos uses intros with less motion, credits, easy to compress stuff so that viewers would get a chance to preload a chunk of the video and reduce stuttering and interruptions... for example you had a 1 mbps internet connection and you watched a Real video stream at 300 kbps and the player would get a chance to buffer around 20-30 seconds of video while playing the intro that was compressed at 50-100 kbps

Nowadays it's mostly a branding thing and reinforcement thing like the Coca Cola ads - everybody knows about Coca Cola but they still run ads for it, to keep it fresh in people's memories. See GamersNexus' animation or Paul's Hardware "Awesome" bit at the beginning of each video... if you're subscribed, you know it's their videos by the intro.

To less of a degree it can also help as a deterrent, or some automated copy protection ... for example Steve from GamersNexus could insert that intro bit into Youtube's ContentID and be notified automatically every time someone uploads a video with that intro bit.  This way, he could quickly report people that simply download his content and reupload it on their channels, without any modifications.

To make it slightly more annoying for content robbers. When they steal your videos, they have to get rid of the intro, especially if it says your channel's name in it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

On 7/25/2019 at 6:45 PM, Hawick said:

Just why? I'm not talking about the minute long cringefest intros. Even the shorter ones like 5-10 sec ones are annoying. Why the eff do all youtubers feel the need to put a goddamn intros in their videos? Just cut to the chase, no one cares about the intro. 

Just asking.

One simple reason: Branding.

Intros aren't for you - the long term viewer. They're for every person who gets served that video via the algorithm, and has never seen that creator before.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

So people can submit new animations to get notoriety in LWIAY. 

Because their intros suck. If it's a good intro, like Jackfilm's, then you won't complain.

If it sucks or lasts too long, then they're amateurs.

MacBook Air M1 / Steam Deck