Gender vs Game  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Gender selection

• Male IRL, Male ingame
    • Female IRL, Male ingame
    • Male IRL, Female ingame
    • Female IRL, Female ingame
    • Other

This is something I've always wondered and only hear people talking about it in snippets, so I want to ask this forum:

When you play a game with character customisation, do you pick your own gender or go with the opposite? And why do you make the selection you do?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

5 minutes ago, Arika S said:

When you play a game with character customisation, do you pick your own gender or go with the opposite? And why do you make the selection you do?

I pick a female character if that's an option, simply because it's much easier to relate to them then and thus feel slightly deeper connection to the game. That said, having to play as a male character isn't any sort of an enormous issue for me, it's just slightly less preferable.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I tend to pick female characters, i have an easier time with styling. I tend to spend quite a while in character customization if i have the chance too and the girls usually just come out better in the end. Also sometimes the options for guys are just really fucking bad or incredibly far from what i want for my character which forces the choice a bit. Sometimes its just the class that decides it, like in BDO where the classes are gendered so if you want to play a sorcerer for example you have to be a girl.

I dont care much for what gender my character ends up being as long as they come out as what i wanted them to come out as in the class i wanted them to be. My bard in FFXIV is a dood because he came out how i wanted him too but both my BDO characters are girls because of class choices. in MC i use the "female" model for my skin because it ended up better with the skinnier limbs lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I usually pick female characters.

I'll fully admit I love cute things.  Generally when it comes to character creation, it's easier to make cute women than men. Most games, the men are big hulking muscle men, like Gears of War or any military shooter.

If I can make cute boys though, I do, like in Splatoon, I switch a lot from female octolings and inklings to male ones, cause they're all adorable.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Don't really have a preference. I can immerse myself into character of any gender. Or none. I sometimes pick female characters coz they look nice and I want to feel pretty :)

I pick whichever gender ends up being the easiest to customize and look halfway decent (assuming of course the game in question has that).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I don't mind either but usually pick male.

I notice no females are picking male characters. SEXISTS SMH.

Spoiler

If you can't tell, that was a joke.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Usually female

I suppose i have a easier time styling them and the outfits can be more interesting (And admittedly more revealing at times)

I suppose it's just the beauty i see? ?‍♂️ I like shooting women more IRL than guys as a photographer as well

In third person games If I'm going to be staring at a character's butt for hours, might as well be a cute butt.

In first person games : Doesn't matter.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I'm a male that uses male characters since I feel weird using a female, it feels unnatural and the view is distracting.

My male friend would frequently use female characters (and act like one) though so he could solicit items, get boosted and other advantages.

I go for cute characters, and more often than not, they be of the female persuasion.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I'm male and I've played both male and female characters. I'll usually go for male characters because it feels a bit more immersive to me, but in a few cases I preferred the female designs and thus chose them.

To give you an example, the Sun and Moon Pokemon games were a case where I played as a female character. Mainly because I felt like the male ones all didn't give me an option to represent myself in the way I wanted to, anyway. Plus, the female characters get more and (in my opinion) better customization options.

For MMOs and games with very detailed character creation (Skyrim and the like), I'll usually go for a male character instead.

I like to pick female cuz I can put cute dresses on them 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I don't mind either but usually pick male.

I notice no females are picking male characters. SEXISTS SMH.

Reveal hidden contents

If you can't tell, that was a joke.

Joke or not, there's lots of dudes picking women, so the whole argument can go to hell. There's a few guys out there that pick female because "they see less wahmen in vidya games."

I generally don't care and just go straight for picking male, but in every game I've seen that lets you choose, at most it's a difference in romance options, and I've never crushed on a male game character enough to be a female to sleep with them.

Sorry Alistair, you'll remain forever celibate.

#Muricaparrotgang

Weirdly enough, I don't play that many games with customization, and even those tend to have classes locked to certain gender

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

49 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Joke or not, there's lots of dudes picking women, so the whole argument can go to hell. There's a few guys out there that pick female because "they see less wahmen in vidya games."

I generally don't care and just go straight for picking male, but in every game I've seen that lets you choose, at most it's a difference in romance options, and I've never crushed on a male game character enough to be a female to sleep with them.

Sorry Alistair, you'll remain forever celibate.

Funny story, I ALWAYS play female Revan in Knights of The Old Republic.

Spoilers for anyone who has been living under a rock their entire life and not played the best Bioware game ever made:

Spoiler

Specifically so I can kill Carth. That whiny little bitch.

Male, I play as male. I try to get as close to myself as I can within 20 seconds. 

Spoiler

Which means a preset with just eyebrows, eyes, and hair as custom. 

I prefer having genders in games as long as there isn't a "ladykiller" or "black widow" passive. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

15 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Spoilers for anyone who has been living under a rock their entire life and not played the best Bioware game ever made:

Hide contents

I've played DAO and ME 1 and 2 and discovered I really don't like Bioware games. I appreciate Mirandas backstory... ahem "back story" in ME2 and the characters in DAO were all pretty good and I liked the party banter, but the gameplay sucks, the stories are pretty lame, predictable, and full of cliches, and the worlds themselves were very uninteresting.

#Muricaparrotgang

14 hours ago, Arika S said:

This is something I've always wondered and only hear people talking about it in snippets, so I want to ask this forum:

I listed “other” because I don’t limit myself to one gender while playing a game.

I’m male, obviously, and I tend to play the male character on first play through. Typically my first character is modelled after myself (assuming character generation - although more accurately, an idealized version of myself). It’s also usually the “light side/good/canon” play through, assuming it’s a game with choices. 

Afterwards I almost always go back and play as a female. 

10 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Hide contents

Oh man - Cathy is a whiny little bitch. 

Plus Dark Side KOTOR play throughs are hilariously amazing. Some of the dark side choices are just too funny. 

9 hours ago, JZStudios said:

I've played DAO and ME 1 and 2 and discovered I really don't like Bioware games. I appreciate Mirandas backstory... ahem "back story" in ME2 and the characters in DAO were all pretty good and I liked the party banter, but the gameplay sucks, the stories are pretty lame, predictable, and full of cliches, and the worlds themselves were very uninteresting.

Respect your opinion - personally I love BW games. KOTOR and DAO are some of my favourite games of all time. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Contradictory to my profile picture, I'm Male IRL (Disappointment I know), and Male in-game. Seems a little weird to choose a female character in-game tbh.

35 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Oh man - Cathy is a whiny little bitch. 

Plus Dark Side KOTOR play throughs are hilariously amazing. Some of the dark side choices are just too funny. 

Respect your opinion - personally I love BW games. KOTOR and DAO are some of my favourite games of all time. 

I'm not huge on the click on enemies and see who does more dps and has more health to win mechanics. And while I enjoy lighting an orphanage full of puppies on fire to please Morrigan for some fun back at camp, the world and story were too bland to get past being stuck in the mage tower for the second time. I honestly don't know how you're supposed to get past that. I had the same issue forcing myself to play through The Witcher 1 and just having to save scum reload fights and do exactly the same thing until I managed to win for reasons I don't understand.

34 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

doubt

Dammit Cole! Stop screaming at the witness!

#Muricaparrotgang

1 hour ago, JZStudios said:

Honestly I thought the storyline behind DAO was amazing. Then they completely fucking ruined it by going off topic in the sequels. What with the whole "injustice for mages reeee!" stories.

Mainly I'm pissed I didn't get to learn more about Morrigan and what she intended with my child carrying the soul of a dead, corrupted god.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

I listed “other” because I don’t limit myself to one gender while playing a game.

I’m male, obviously, and I tend to play the male character on first play through. Typically my first character is modelled after myself (assuming character generation - although more accurately, an idealized version of myself). It’s also usually the “light side/good/canon” play through, assuming it’s a game with choices. 

Afterwards I almost always go back and play as a female. 

So many memories. My personal favorite is threatening the swoop mechanic on Tatooine for credits.

5 hours ago, TetraSky said:

In third person games If I'm going to be staring at a character's butt for hours, might as well be a cute butt.

In the words of Jack from Achievement Hunter playing GTA 5:

"if I'm gonna be staring at the back of a character, it might as well as be animated ass."

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

why would you wanna play a game as a male. its infuriating to look at a male body all the time <redacted>

Edited by SansVarnic