Youtube have changed and started enforcing their TOS to include "Hacking Tutorials"

Toakan

Google have changed and started enforcing their TOS to now include Hacking Tutorials, as "Harmful or Dangerous" content. This throws into question the long term survival of many content providers who's main provision is education through content. Some of the larger channels, such as DEFCON, will have to be wary around what content they post to their channel so they do not fall foul of this enforcement.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2801964?hl=en

Instructional hacking and phishing: Showing users how to bypass secure computer systems or steal user credentials and personal data.

Below is one such user who has already been flagged for this.

https://twitter.com/KodyKinzie/status/1146196570083192832

We made a video about launching fireworks over Wi-Fi for the 4th of July only to find out @YouTube gave us a strike because we teach about hacking, so we can't upload it.

With further comments here-

A user over on Reddit has compiled a list of channels which would be affected by this enforcement.

So to my opinion, I mainly use Youtube to listen to DEFCON talks as podcasts when working. They're entertaining and explain how people do the jobs they do, such as software penetration testing to physical security of buildings. They explain weaknesses in common setups and explain how you would avoid / prevent them in a best case scenario. Making you aware of the issue means you can better prepare to mitigate it. By this content now being flagged and removed, we start losing useful information, say for instance a new exploit such as Heartbleed occured, if an instructional video about the exploit and how it works is flagged / removed, Creators lose a way to help their audience and the consumers are losing a way of staying up to date.

Here are better titles for you: "Youtube now includes hacking tutorials in their harmful or dangerous content list" / "Youtube doesn't allow hacking tutorials anymore".

Also read this if you don't want to be removed:

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

Here are better titles for you: "Youtube now includes hacking tutorials in their harmful or dangerous content list" / "Youtube doesn't allow hacking tutorials anymore".

Also read this if you don't want to be removed:

I pressed CTRL + Enter by accident, so it submitted the links only. I've updated now, but should I still add more?

1 minute ago, Toakan said:

I pressed CTRL + Enter by accident, so it submitted the links only. I've updated now, but should I still add more?

Yeah it is much better now, good job! :)

But if you can add a quote from the article like this: (This makes it easier to read)

This is a quote from the article.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

Yeah it is much better now, good job! :)

But if you can add a quote from the article like this: (This makes it easier to read)

Added!

As a hobbyist programmer having dabbled in hacking successfully and having some second hand information about how important the cyber security to certain companies/associations (My dad is in the ADF) it is extremely problematic as black hats are going to find new ways to learn and spread info while aspiring teens wanting to be white hats won't be able to continue to learn about cyber security and PEN testing. As Luis Marques said "Light and Darkness. One cannot exist without the other. There is no true Master, without the power of balance." Anyway that's my thoughts on this

I'm a python programmer and I play trombone

“Made for education purposes only” has always been a disclaimer. It’s a sound move by YT.

Bye bye Crazy Russian Hacker then :( It was nice while it lasted.

what makes "hacking" (not gonna delve into the propper use of that word, gave up on that..) most dangerous, is hiding it from the mainstream population, because that makes those supposed victims clueless on what to protect themselves against.

in the same sense, at work i dont educate clients on passwords by saying "make it secure", i simply explain how the majority of hacking attempts work, and how to counter them. i've found that even with some of our 80 year old clients that's the easiest way to do it. 

or to put it in a TL,DR: how about we just teach people how to defend, by teaching them the attack? since the attackers are the ones who'll find the attack anyways.

I'm surprised anyone is surprised by anything YouTube does any more, they sold out to the corporations a long time ago and will always put their corporate interests ahead of creators.

Ftr that's not necessarily a bad thing, if YouTube doesn't do this it disappears then everyone loses. Creators either have to play the game or find somewhere else to post their work and never rely on YouTube to do anything other than bend them over and fuck them from behind because that's going to happen to everyone except the most family friendly creators.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

10 minutes ago, manikyath said:

what makes "hacking" (not gonna delve into the propper use of that word, gave up on that..) most dangerous, is hiding it from the mainstream population, because that makes those supposed victims clueless on what to protect themselves against.

in the same sense, at work i dont educate clients on passwords by saying "make it secure", i simply explain how the majority of hacking attempts work, and how to counter them. i've found that even with some of our 80 year old clients that's the easiest way to do it. 

or to put it in a TL,DR: how about we just teach people how to defend, by teaching them the attack? since the attackers are the ones who'll find the attack anyways.

I completely agree I'm a teenager who have hacked in to my brothers computer if I wish. The only reason I can't anymore is cause I showed him how. 

Screw this !

YouTube is being freaking stupid again

Seriously, trying to prevent people from learning about the dangers of hacking & social engineering is the stupidest thing ever

You cannot simply make a problem dissapere by not talking about it !

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

I’m kinda new Tom this crap, is there anything we can do to reverse this? There probably isn’t but those videos have helped me in many ways and I think the creators deserve to have them remain

42 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

Screw this !

YouTube is being freaking stupid again

Seriously, trying to prevent people from learning about the dangers of hacking & social engineering is the stupidest thing ever

You cannot simply make a problem dissapere by not talking about it !

They're likely approaching this from the angle of, if it's harder to find, less people will do it. But that ignores the principle point that these kinds of videos are generally educational.

Realistically I'd be fine with the removal of the Malware videos which link to "adf.ly" sites with hacks for games and such. But not this genuine content.

Where do the videos about IT Scammer revenge fall into this? Those small time channels will get hit too.

This sounds like some government is pissed about something specific. This is also probably a backdoor way of removing some set of groups of YouTube and Google Services in general. 

3 hours ago, L0m said:

Light and Darkness. One cannot exist without the other. There is no true Master, without the power of balance.

If only you knew the power of the dark side ...

1544889612_TuxVader.png.512186291d8217761938cf4b27d05315.png

-----

This is getting ridiculous.  Oh well, guess I'll be downloading a lot of videos in the next couple of days then. 

I wonder how the world would look if Google never purchased Youtube. I don't think they would have so much power without the monopoly.

The big question is, who is this time behind YTs move? Every time YT starts something stupid there has been corporations behind it but this time it would be odd because any good anti-virus/firewall/other cyber security company doesn't really have anything against this kind of content, more like they support it (IIRC quite few companies are funding DEFCON just because it's good for them, not for advertisement but for education).

[tinfoil] I can only think some cyber security companies whos products are more scam than security not wanting this because from time to time their products have been proven to be shit and, thanks for spreading information, every kid could hack through them. Second one coming to mind would be just general corporations who are pissed off because security costs and their investors hope with this kind of move they can make... spare few dollars thinking the real black/grey hats get their knowledge from YT (yeah, corporations are stupid and even if you think they wouldn't be that stupid, they always give you their beer and manage to be more stupid than you could imagine).[/tinfoil]

tfw the forum you're getting outraged on also doesn't allow it

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

3 minutes ago, 2FA said:

tfw the forum you're getting outraged on also doesn't allow it

Key difference: This forum has semi competent moderation.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.