Mac Pro 2019: dual-GPU cards ARE BACK!!! :D

Results45

Cheese Grater Pro 2019  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Mac Pro 2019 worth burning your wallet?

• YES!
    • Maybe (depends on the config and my needs)
    • Nah. I'll wait 4 years for average hardware to catch-up.

Just now, missed_sla said:

Probably the W-3223

It's not. The W3223 has less cache than the chip Apple is using.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, missed_sla said:

The whole thing brings me to the question of why Apple chose the Xeon at all, given the massive price advantage of Threadripper. My guess is it's either contractually required to use Intel, or they're designing for AVX-512 workloads.

1. Thunderbolt.
  2. AVX (not just 512).
  3. It takes quite a bit of work to get OSX running on AMD CPUs.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

I wonder if you’ll be able to upgrade the CPU easily if you get the base model, but choosing the best Dual-GPU

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

24 minutes ago, missed_sla said:

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/xeon_w/w-3223

Except Intel's spec page shows 8 MB of L2 cache and 16.5 MB of L3 cache. Total is 24.5 MB. Apple's spec page  shows 24.5 MB of cache.

Great, except Apple has a history of labeling their cache the same way Intel does. That means they either list L3, or they use Intel's generic "cache" or "smartcache" number.

There is no reason to change that now.

I might be wrong, but I doubt it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

8 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Great, except Apple has a history of labeling their cache the same way Intel does. That means they either list L3, or they use Intel's generic "cache" or "smartcache" number.

There is no reason to change that now.

I might be wrong, but I doubt it.

L2+L3 is actually the convention Apple is using on the iMac Pro. So @missed_sla probably right.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

20 minutes ago, RoseLuck462 said:

I wonder if you’ll be able to upgrade the CPU easily if you get the base model, but choosing the best Dual-GPU

It's never been an issue in previous tower Mac Pros.  They've always been pretty easy to pop the CPUs out and replace them.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

1 hour ago, missed_sla said:

The whole thing brings me to the question of why Apple chose the Xeon at all, given the massive price advantage of Threadripper. My guess is it's either contractually required to use Intel, or they're designing for AVX-512 workloads.

I think the biggest reason Apple isn't going with AMD is because Apple can't have as much control on AMD's platform due to the secure enclave (the PSP) being on the processor itself. Considering that secure enclaves are black boxes, Apple can't guarantee what it wants from the PSP. Intel's secure enclave still resides outside of the processor on the chipset, and is likely easily bypassable or they can just ask Intel for a chipset that has it disabled.

My only other guesses are due to Threadripper's quirks on the system level and they don't really want to deal with that.

12 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I think the biggest reason Apple isn't going with AMD is because Apple can't have as much control on AMD's platform due to the secure enclave (the PSP) being on the processor itself. Considering that secure enclaves are black boxes, Apple can't guarantee what it wants from the PSP. Intel's secure enclave still resides outside of the processor on the chipset, and is likely easily bypassable or they can just ask Intel for a chipset that has it disabled.

My only other guesses are due to Threadripper's quirks on the system level and they don't really want to deal with that.

Apple would probably have enough leverage over AMD to work around not having as much control over PSP.

Do AMD APUs support some variant of Quicksync,? Because I could imagine Apple not wanting to support both AMD and Intel, and Quicksync can be a massive advantage when looking at laptops without a dGPU.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, 79wjd said:

Apple would probably have enough leverage over AMD to work around not having as much control over PSP.

The thing with how AMD realized Zen is it can be considered an SoC. Coupled with the way AMD describes the PSP's tasks, such as handling secure boot (which is what the T2 is supposed to do), I can't imagine that it would be easy to remove or suppress PSP functionality so a "third party" can take over secure enclave tasks. And I also can't imagine having two active secure enclave processors on a system is a good thing.

The only other way I can think Apple can get around this is to engulf the system with its own system, like how the PS4 works.

1 minute ago, 79wjd said:

Do AMD APUs support some variant of Quicksync,? Because I could imagine Apple not wanting to support both AMD and Intel, and Quicksync can be a massive advantage when looking at laptops without a dGPU.

That wouldn't explain why Apple doesn't want to go with AMD for say the Mac Pro.

@Mira Yurizaki Still confused how they stuffed this:

psp.jpg.583906824bb90da442088d3a5eee8c1a.jpg

Into this:

th.jpeg.3ead6fcbdb609f173113fc79348ce983.jpeg

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

13 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

That wouldn't explain why Apple doesn't want to go with AMD for say the Mac Pro.

That coupled with not wanting to support two different processors would though.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

As a system builder from top to bottom, Apple introducing AMD into their ecosystem would effectively create a third system that they would need to manage. Remember, just because it's a system running x86 doesn't mean it's going to run to the same standard if you throw it on another system running x86. Aside from the aforementioned way AMD designed systems around Zen, there's also the fact that AMD and Intel have implemented x86-64 differently (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64#Differences_between_AMD64_and_Intel_64)

It's similar to why I no longer call the PS4 a PC. It lacks things that OSes built for IBM PC based systems expect. It's likely if you run an OS built for a PC on a PS4, it will fail to boot. PC is a system architecture specification that has more requirements than "it uses an x86 processor"

2 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

That coupled with not wanting to support two different processors would though.

Well either way, I should take back in saying the security thing was the biggest reason. But it could be a big reason.

Why is the base model so low spec'd? The 6000 dollar one is going to get beaten bad by the iMac Pro. The current base mod for the Mac Pro is overpriced wayyyy too much.

Apple, really. Just throw out the 8-core model.

Nah I don't think I can buy it even the stand is like a big no no for me.

Dual GPUs may not be as popular as once in general but looks awesome. Would be cool to see a standalone unit tested. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On 6/5/2019 at 9:18 AM, ScratchCat said:

mac-grater.png.b8269b4282ac5a20cb95f24a14323ad2.png

Say what you want, it is a nice looking aluminium case. I hate all the plastic out now, silver aluminium just looks great.

1 minute ago, floofer said:

it is a nice looking aluminium case.

It's not nice looking.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Personally, if I was given a blank check, yes I would definitely get one and use it as my main rig. I wouldn’t even hesitate. 

Unfortunately Apple actually meant it when they slapped the Pro label on this new Mac tower. 

The Mac Pro is simply too expensive for a regular consumer like me who really only needs the power of an RX 580 and an R5 2600. I’m not the target audience and that’s fine. 

At least we can see it in AR on iOS though, because man is it pretty looking. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

42 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

It's not nice looking.

Up to personal opinion. I love it.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

46 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

It's not nice looking.

I would say the old G5 looks better immediately, but the new Mac Pro is an acquired taste. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

acquired taste. 

Otherwise known as Stockholm Syndrome.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Otherwise known as Stockholm Syndrome.

?‍♂️

All for the price of your kidneys. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

9 hours ago, floofer said:

Say what you want, it is a nice looking aluminium case. I hate all the plastic out now, silver aluminium just looks great.

It's certainly better than a trashcan but it still seems a step back from the pre-2013 Mac Pro design.