A Free Lunch? - Brave Browser now paying users to view ads

rcmaehl

Sources:
Wired
Gizmodo

Summary:

Brave Browser has added an opt-in option to be payed for viewing secure, anonymized ads.

Quotes/Excerpts:

If you were on the internet in the late 1990s, you might remember companies like AllAdvantage that promised to pay you to surf the web. These schemes largely disappeared after the dot-com crash. But Brendan Eich thinks his company Brave Software has found a way to revive that old idea. Brave makes a browser based on Google Chrome that blocks tracking scripts and other technologies that spy on your online activity. As a result, it also blocks many web ads. Starting Wednesday, Brave will give users the option to see ads that Eich says will respect your privacy. The ads will appear as desktop notifications, he says, not as replacements for the ads the Brave browser blocks. If you choose to see these ads, you’ll get 70 percent of the revenue they generate. Today, ad networks pay sites like WIRED.com for ad space and web browsers like Brave and Chrome deliver content from those publishers to users. Brave is trying to put the browser in the center of the advertising experience. Instead of paying publishers directly, ad networks would pay Brave, which will pass part of the money to users. By handling advertising in the browser on your device, Brave says it will be able to target ads without sending your data to the cloud, and protect your privacy. When you interact with an ad on Brave, the browser sends notice to the company's servers, but doesn't include any identifying information. Eventually, the company plans to offer a service that will replace any blocked ads on a publisher's site with ads placed by Brave and give those publishers a cut of the ad revenue. Eich says Brave will only replace ads on sites that opt into its service.

My Thoughts:
Interesting. This may be something I may look into. It's supposedly equivalent to $5 a month from the reddit threads I've been reading. While not a lot, It'd still be about half my Amazon Prime subscription a year and is definitely an interesting prospect. Would you take $5 a month for ads, assuming they were privacy minded and didn't send info back? Can we trust companies regardless not to use supercookies once we actually view an advertised product? I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this. In the meantime ublock will stay enabled... except on some very specific sites.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

13 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Would you take $5 a month for ads, assuming they were privacy minded and didn't send info back?

Yes. I can buy Sekiro next year.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

17 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

It's supposedly equivalent to $5 a month

so 60$ a year

or.... one 8 hour shift at 7.25 an hour

or , skip lunch one day a month

I really don't mind ads so long as they aren't resource hungry things that take a long time to load up, have pop up thingies or loud sounds etc.  If it's just an image advertising a product with a link i'd gladly get rid of my ad blocker+ no-script addon. 

10 minutes ago, Emberstone said:

ComplicatedAgedAruanas-size_restricted.g

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

14 minutes ago, emosun said:

so 60$ a year

or.... one 8 hour shift at 7.25 an hour

or , skip lunch one day a month

But you're getting some money without having to actually work. Same reason people, like myself, mine and invest in the stock market. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

This is so stupid!

Where are the people with money to buy things they see in ads, yet are watching ads for money? Is this an indictment of the welfare state, ads trying to get that government check?

How effective can it be to advertise to people so broke they are watching ads to make pennies? ?

46 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

But you're getting some money without having to actually work. Same reason people, like myself, mine and invest in the stock market. 

Well you are working because you have to watch the ads.

1 hour ago, aezakmi said:

ComplicatedAgedAruanas-size_restricted.g

I will not dishonor myself before Papa Miyazaki.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

1 hour ago, Emberstone said:

Just in time for borderlands 3

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Pirated photoshop the other day and It installed Brave browser - its some sketchy stuff! Would not recommend. 

Does this work only in the west or all over the world?

I can already imagine some IT fella switching the entire company they work at onto Brave Browser and just racking in the cash from every computer there. ^_^ 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

1 hour ago, RotoCoreOne said:

I wonder if you could run multiple pcs or VMs and view ads all day.

I'm guessing they'd be able to see your IP or something to prevent that from happening. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

I tried this a while ago, doesn't work really well and haven't encountered any sites that make use of it

🙂

6 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

But you're getting some money without having to actually work

aka skipping a meal

Nah I'm sticking with Firefox for my privacy

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Yeah didn't MS have something like this anyway. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

The ads will appear as desktop notifications

NOPE, can't pay me enough for that...

Actually maybe I'll just make a VM for this and have it run in the background.

13 hours ago, Chett_Manly said:

How effective can it be to advertise to people so broke they are watching ads to make pennies? ?

Well, if the alternative is to have everyone just block the ads... besides, ads can be about "free" things too like, say, Fortnite.

11 hours ago, Giganthrax said:

I'm guessing they'd be able to see your IP or something to prevent that from happening. 

Just spoof it with tor or something :P

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Free Lunch?

4 tbone steaks and a pitcher of tap soda please

don't forget the gold-encrusted chocolate bar

thanks

btw the total is 453.34 without tax

Bing rewards is already how I get xbox gold membership and game passes. This scheme in comparison has slightly lower payout. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS