In South Philadelphia, CoD and FaZe, on the PC is where I spent most of my days - Comcast launches eSports arena

rcmaehl

Source:
NBC New York

Summary:
Comcast Subsidiary, Spectacor is creating a $50 million eSports arena in South Philly.

Media:
fusion+arena+exterior.jpg

Quotes/Excerpts:

Competitive gaming has become so profitable in recent years that large media companies are getting in on the act. Spectacor announced Monday that it will build a dedicated esport stadium in the heart of the South Philadelphia. The 3,500-seat, $50 million Fusion Arena will play host to local professional team Philadelphia Fusion. "This will be the first ground-up [esports] facility in the western hemisphere," The 60,000 square-foot arena, slated to open in 2021, also will feature a training facility. For a city like Philadelphia, an arena will likely mean added revenue. Last year, the Barclays Center in Brooklyn sold out more than 20,000 tickets for the grand finals of the Overwatch League. A professional venue in Philadelphia...could attract a global audience. Professional-level esports are predicted to generate $1.1 billion in 2019 through a combination of sponsorship and media rights deals, game publisher fees and advertising, merchandise and ticket sales, according to gaming research agency Newzoo. Newzoo's figures don't take into account the money that could be made outside of professional-level competitions. Other avenues also exist, including the monetization of non-competitive gaming through services like YouTube and Twitch. Newzoo predicts that this year, 453.8 million people will watch professional esports globally. By 2022, it expects that audience to balloon even further, to 645 million people. Last year, Disney announced a multiyear deal with Activision Blizzard to air the Overwatch League playoffs and finals on ABC, ESPN, ESPN 2 and Disney XD, bringing competitive video games to television screens. Some gamers have become transcendent millionaires. Last year, Tyler "Ninja" Blevins became the first professional esports player to grace the cover of ESPN Magazine. "It's becoming mass-audience, it's becoming more pop culture," 

My Thoughts:

Definitely interesting to see such a large non-gaming, non-tech product company to sink so much money into eSports. Recent eSports. specifically the Overwatch league, definitely hasn't been without controversy though, and it'll likely be reported on more harshly than regular sports as it challenges the sports status quo. Regardless, it'll definitely be interesting to watch eSports as they progress. This is likely the first of many, eSports specific stadiums.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Rip I live on the other side of the US 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

They should have waited until goats comp is dead before investing. Watching goats vs goats every game is super boring and makes competitive overwatch not really worth watching for me. 

13 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Watching goats vs goats every game is super boring and makes competitive overwatch not really worth watching for me. 

You can always watch CS, aka watch Astralis dominate everyone in every tournament. ;)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

You can always watch CS, aka watch Astralis dominate everyone in every tournament. ;)

I don't play CS so it's harder for me to get into. I play a ton of overwatch which is why I used to love watching it. Goats meta has been slowly killing the game tbh. I know alot of people who were super upset about dive meta so they created a hero to hard counter it. That caused the monster that is goats meta. The moment they added brig to the game was the moment the game started to go down hill tbh. Funny thing was that dive wasn't even that bad. It was only really prevalent in the higher tiers anyways and that was simply because it was super good but hard to execute. I thought it was pretty balanced because it would allow for you to outplay your opponent or allow you to capitalize on an opponent's mistake. Much harder to do in the snooze fest that is goats. So much heals and shields that people can play like complete idiots and still be fine. They can make huge mistakes and not be punished and still roll any team comp that isn't a mirror. I like that they are investing in an arena for the game but my fear is that the game will die and the arena will go to waste. 

29 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

They should have waited until goats comp is dead before investing. Watching goats vs goats every game is super boring and makes competitive overwatch not really worth watching for me. 

the goats comp should die out soon after the OWL patch moves onto the newer patches or even the live version of OW. Then it'll be back to insane plays by the dps

Do they really need a dedicated Esports arena? 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I didn't even realize there was one here in Arlington, TX, until leaving Six Flags. Apparently, it's "the largest in the Americas", but I don't know if that's big or not, or how they can manage to make a profit. Are there really that many events?

9 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

shut up!!!1!!!

ez4ence!!!!!

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

23 minutes ago, williamcll said:

I thought the point of a video game is you can play it on the computer at home. 

46 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Automated sterilizing mist and odor neutralizers built into the design?

11 hours ago, Sychic said:

the goats comp should die out soon after the OWL patch moves onto the newer patches or even the live version of OW. Then it'll be back to insane plays by the dps

It's not dead, it's weaker. We'll probably continue seeing GOATs well into stage 2, it's not like pro teams haven't been practicing nonstop for the last few months and perfected a comp who's strength comes from the fact that you can make so many errors before being punished.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

13 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Or watch Rainbow Six Siege, aka watch G2 dominate everyone and then give cocky interviews

Also I have to give it to you OP, that's a really clever title.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

16 hours ago, Sychic said:

Haha, no. Baptiste will just replace one of the supports from the goats comp. The rest will remain unchanged. Given it can toss the immortality field more regularly it'll be a regular char. I mean, just look every game, D.Va, Rein, Zarya, Zen, Lucio and Brigitte. They sometimes replace Rein with Winston or Hammond if they need to quickly get to the point and that's about it. Every bloody game the same thing.

2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Haha, no. Baptiste will just replace one of the supports from the goats comp. The rest will remain unchanged. Given it can toss the immortality field more regularly it'll be a regular char. I mean, just look every game, D.Va, Rein, Zarya, Zen, Lucio and Brigitte. They sometimes replace Rein with Winston or Hammond if they need to quickly get to the point and that's about it. Every bloody game the same thing.

well then there's really no way to get rid of it other than locked 2-2-2... i just hope jjonak pops off for my fantasy league lol

12 minutes ago, Sychic said:

well then there's really no way to get rid of it other than locked 2-2-2... i just hope jjonak pops off for my fantasy league lol

I see more exciting fights in quick play where people use whatever they prefer and don't go for the comp formation. Also, fights don't always look as teams clashing head on, but people rejoin existing fights as they respawn depending on what they are and not always retreat and attack again and it's just more fun that way, for me at least.

10 hours ago, fantasia. said:

shut up!!!1!!!

ez4ence!!!!!

ENCE definitely doesn't disappoint, unlike FaZe

19117e4ab13110170dc604805ba45e91.png

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Ah! Another company investing in a area they have no experience or clue about, next up a of the world of economics, Tyson, the meat company, will be producing their own mobile phones! 100% made out of organic beef and plastic, this is how the rubber and metal was in their recalled produce.