[OLD] PSU Tier List 3.0 (Legacy)

LienusLateTips
Go to solution Solved by MEC-777,
46 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

Oh... yeah go for a 650W. Vega 56 when OCed is a literal house fire.

PCPartPicker is accurate, when you don't overclock.

haha i thought it might be, which is why i would rather overestimate, plus the difference in price in the UK is only £20 anyway. thanks a lot

I just ordered a Seasonic Focus+ Gold 550W. 

I'm sure it is enough for my current system: i7 8700, GTX 1080 Gaming X, 2 SSD, 6 fans. 

But I'm wondering if it will be enough for future systems. I'm more concerned about future GPU upgrades. Might get a 2080 or 2080Ti at some point, or perhaps some next generation models. 

They had the 650W model for about $25 more. I know it's a safer bet, but I also don't want to go overboard. 

27 minutes ago, Rhoban said:

I just ordered a Seasonic Focus+ Gold 550W. 

I'm sure it is enough for my current system: i7 8700, GTX 1080 Gaming X, 2 SSD, 6 fans. 

But I'm wondering if it will be enough for future systems. I'm more concerned about future GPU upgrades. Might get a 2080 or 2080Ti at some point, or perhaps some next generation models. 

They had the 650W model for about $25 more. I know it's a safer bet, but I also don't want to go overboard. 

The SeaSonic Focus has some protection issues. You would be fine with 450 even with a RTX 2080 Ti, but I wouldn't recommend the Focus for that task.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

What kind of protection issues? 

I've seen good reviews of the Focus+. I currently have the S12II 620W. 

I have no problems with it, but I heard ts a dated design and I also wanted something modular. 

30 minutes ago, Rhoban said:

What kind of protection issues? 

Switching off due to load changes.

30 minutes ago, Rhoban said:

I've seen good reviews of the Focus+. I currently have the S12II 620W. 

I have no problems with it, but I heard ts a dated design and I also wanted something modular. 

Why not go for a unit from a Different Manufacturer?? If you are already are unhappy with your Seasonic, why get another one??

There are equally good or better options from other manufacturers like Bitfenix Whisper M, be quiet Straight Power 11 and others as well.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

5 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Switching off due to load changes.

Why not go for a unit from a Different Manufacturer?? If you are already are unhappy with your Seasonic, why get another one??

There are equally good or better options from other manufacturers like Bitfenix Whisper M, be quiet Straight Power 11 and others as well.

I'm not unhappy with it. I just wanted a more modern and modular unit. The S12II was released like 6-7 years ago. Although I bought mine new like 2 years ago, I've read that the platform it's built on is pretty old now. 

I've had a Seasonic PSU for over 8 years in another system and never had a problem. That unit still runs to this day. So I've no doubt about the Seasonic build quality. 

Also, Bitfenix is not available at the site I usually buy from, not even on other websites in my country, and the be quite straight power only has a 3 year warranty, while the Focus+ has 10 year warranty. 

2 minutes ago, Rhoban said:

The S12II was released like 6-7 years ago.

8,5-9 Years for the 620W.

Although I bought mine new like 2 years ago,

Condolences.

Even 2 years ago there were a couple of better solutions at that time.

With those you didn't need to look for a different PSU...

I've had a Seasonic PSU for over 8 years in another system and never had a problem.

I had a Seasonic Unit in a system and it either rebooted or switched off when combined with my new Sapphire Nitro+...

And even if, that is the norm and happens with all manufacturers.

The difference is that nobody points it out like it is something amazing - it is not. Its more like the standard.

That unit still runs to this day. So I've no doubt about the Seasonic build quality. 

The quality for a certain price is the same for all manufacturers as all parts are the same for all manufacturers.

And the "Seasonic Quality" is pretty much bullshit. They are far worse than for example Delta and also not as good as other manufacturers that do their own stuff as well. Their manufacturing stuff is more on the average side. Not too bad, not that great. Somewhere in the middle.

The good to awesome or legendary manufacturers are Delta and Lite-On. 

Because they have to. If something they do reduces the failure rate by 0,1% that's a couple of thousand, probably tens of thousands of €uros more profit for them.

So what I'm saying is that the "Legendary Seasonic Quality" is just propaganda and a hype with not much to back it up.

Their designs aren't that good, if an older FSP Design from 2009 or so works with modern GPUs but a more recent designs that's almost 5 years younger (or even modern) Seasonic doesn't, its not that awesome.

Also, Bitfenix is not available at the site I usually buy from, not even on other websites in my country, and the be quite straight power only has a 3 year warranty, while the Focus+ has 10 year warranty.

first the Straight Power 11 has 5 Years Warranty.

Second the Warranty is not THAT important and NOT to be seen as a sign of quality. Because "wear and tear due to normal use" is excluded. Everyone has that clause in there, so if you have an issue after 5,5 Years, that is not necessarely covered by the warranty!

Because changes in ATX Specification is not covered and it might not be a defect in their eyes at all (just an incompatibility) or they can claim that its due to wear and tear.

With they I don't necessarily mean Seasonic, I mean all PSU Manufacturers.

With shorter Warranties you sometimes get better quality, something breaks, they exchange it.

WIth longer warranties there are more hoops and loops.

Buttom Line:
Warranty lenth is totally overrated. And nobody looks at the Quality of the Warranty!

For example Enermax stopped doing Warranty by Serial Number a couple of years ago...

And that is what will happen: They will reduce the QUALITY in favor of QUANTITY...

On 4/7/2019 at 9:54 AM, LienusLateTips said:

Oh... yeah go for a 650W. Vega 56 when OCed is a literal house fire.

PCPartPicker is accurate, when you don't overclock.

DAmn right you are, that 400W system power consumption will lit everything on fire!!!

*salty Vega 56 user

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

On 3/19/2019 at 8:34 AM, Stefan Payne said:

We do not care about 80plus at all.

If someone would re release something like the Antec Signature again, it would be way up.

But the MWE is kinda shit as half of it is Groupregulated, half of it is DC-DC and that also starts too far up...

So everything under 600W in the MWE is not good.

MWE 450W 80+ is same as Deepcool DN 450W and FSP 500-A (https://bulk.fsp-europe.com/sp500-a)

MWE 550W 80+ is same as Deepcool DN 550W and FSP 600-50A (https://bulk.fsp-europe.com/fsp600-50arn-88)

not any good, but 520w S12II is 75 euros here in Serbia and this 450w ones are 30 euros, same price as LC Power and Raidmax worst PSU's, I got Pure Power 11 400W smuggled from Hungary for 62 euros, but most people here are not comfortable with stuff like that, and stuff like DN450W and FSP 500-A you can buy at big retailer chains

6 minutes ago, komi1997 said:

and stuff like DN450W and FSP 500-A you can buy at big retailer chains

I've heard Serbia's cheaper PSU prices aren't from the big retailer chains, rather small sellers from sites such as KP.

1 minute ago, Rexper said:

I've heard Serbia's cheaper PSU prices aren't from the big retailer chains, rather small sellers from sites such as KP.

KP = illegally smuggled across Serbia-Hungary border without paying import tax and custom duties and guys who smuggle it get tax refund when exiting Hungary side of the border, Hungary got biggest tax in EU(27%) and smugglers get 18% tax refund which ends up being their profit when they sell you same stuff for same price like in Hungary
that's how I got myself bequiet! PSU when they are not around in Serbia(at least their PSU's, we got other bequiet! stuff)

16 minutes ago, komi1997 said:

MWE 450W 80+ is same as Deepcool DN 450W and FSP 500-A (https://bulk.fsp-europe.com/sp500-a)

MWE 550W 80+ is same as Deepcool DN 550W and FSP 600-50A (https://bulk.fsp-europe.com/fsp600-50arn-88)

Where did you get that from?!
MWE non Bronze might be the same as the Deepcool it seems. But FSP is completely different. FSP makes their stuff themselves, 

And it doesn't look that the MWE 80plus/230V is just a CWT unit:

https://tech4gamers.com/cooler-master-mwe-500-mpw-5002-acabw-review/

16 minutes ago, komi1997 said:

not any good, but 520w S12II is 75 euros here in Serbia and this 450w ones are 30 euros, same price as LC Power and Raidmax worst PSU's, I got Pure Power 11 400W smuggled from Hungary for 62 euros, but most people here are not comfortable with stuff like that, and stuff like DN450W and FSP 500-A you can buy at big retailer chains

The Purepower is a good choice the rest you named not really...

They are raher low end basic with possibly lacking protections - basically the same as S12II...

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Where did you get that from?!
MWE non Bronze might be the same as the Deepcool it seems. But FSP is completely different. FSP makes their stuff themselves, 

And it doesn't look that the MWE 80plus/230V is just a CWT unit:

https://tech4gamers.com/cooler-master-mwe-500-mpw-5002-acabw-review/

The Purepower is a good choice the rest you named not really...

They are raher low end basic with possibly lacking protections - basically the same as S12II...

they should all be FSP made, both DN and MWE, 550w came out later, pretty sure 450 came out at around the same time, a bit older 500 is maybe not same platform, whole MWE lineup is confusing, there was bronze and 80+ ones at start and then gold came and after that more 80+
http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/mwe-series/mwe-450/

this is the one im talking about being same as FSP, not bronze one

3 minutes ago, komi1997 said:

they should all be FSP made, both DN and MWE,

Nope, its CWT:
http://www.deepcool.com/product/powersupply/2017-10/10_7114.shtml

They even posted a Picture of the insides.

ANd the green Transformer Tape rather certainly points towards CWT.

whole MWE lineup is confusing

I agree with that.

And I don't really like it because the 600W MWE Bronze is the first decent one.

The MWE Gold also semes nice as well.

this is the one im talking about being same as FSP, not bronze one

Though it is not.

See the Link I provided in my last post. They opened it up.

That to me looks like a cheaper CWT Plattform and doesn't one bit look like FSP.

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

I agree with that.

And I don't really like it because the 600W MWE Bronze is the first decent one.

The MWE Gold also semes nice as well.

Cooler Master PSU naming rivals EVGA
There are now full modular Masterwatt Lite models coming and new V series just have Gold/Platinum written after wattage...

This is the first review (it's small I know) that I was able to scour-up about the new Seasonic S12III (3 series) PSU.  I'm no expert at reading into the technical details but sure seems like it's not much of an improvement over the older one, and maybe a step back (unknown OEM design so far?): 

https://aphnetworks.com/reports/seasonic-s12iii-500w/3

We need to wait for real reviews with good pics of the insides - including PCB.

But from the looks of it, they might still be using not good 8pin Protection ICs...

But its hard to say as  those are available in SMD forms as well.

ANd those tend to be soldered on the backside...

Will 650w of a good PSU work for i5 4690k oc'D and aorus gtx 1080 ti?

1 minute ago, Vintovka9130 said:

550w would work, get cheapest of RMx, whisper m, straight power 11 and formula gold

4 hours ago, Vintovka9130 said:

Yes, get a good quality unit from A+ Tier.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

10 hours ago, Ankerson said:

Yes, get a good quality unit from A+ Tier.

15 hours ago, hello_there_123 said:

550w would work, get cheapest of RMx, whisper m, straight power 11 and formula gold

are you really sure 650Watts will work if I also oc the cpu and gtx 1080 ti or maybe upgrade to an i7 down the road?

Just now, Vintovka9130 said:

are you really sure 650Watts will work if I also oc the cpu and gtx 1080 ti or maybe upgrade to an i7 down the road?

without problems

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

without problems

whats the TDP of a gtx 1080 ti with 2000mhz Core clock? and i5 4690k (4,2-4,5Ghz)?

2 minutes ago, Vintovka9130 said:

whats the TDP of a gtx 1080 ti with 2000mhz Core clock? and i5 4690k (4,2-4,5Ghz)?

i would say for the 1080 ti around 350 watts

for the 4690k i would say around 170 watts at best, as i could only find the stock results

add around 50 for the rest, and you should be fine

14 minutes ago, Vintovka9130 said:

650W is fine.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.