[OLD] PSU Tier List 3.0 (Legacy)

LienusLateTips
Go to solution Solved by MEC-777,
6 minutes ago, Muhammad2126 said:

that one is in the A tier right

CORSAIR RMX Series (2018), RM650x, 650 Watt, 80+ Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply

https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-RM650x-Certified-Modular-Supply/dp/B079H6111J/ref=cm_wl_huc_item

A+ actually.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

As an FYI:

The "old" Corsair Vengeance (the 80 PLUS Bronze one) is essentially a CX-M (DF w/ D2D) with Japanese caps and multi +12V rail.

The "new" Corsair Vengeance (the 80 PLUS Silver one) is a new platform that is LLC with D2D, Jap caps and a switch for the +12V rail (like the HX switch).

It's also $15 less than TX-M on Newegg right now and only $59.99 for the 650W after rebate.

Can we get the Thermaltake Smart RGB (500W, 600W, 700W) added to the tier list?

Can't find any proper reviews for it, but Aris did comment on it when it was released.

The +12V rail can't deliver the PSU's full power alone in any of the models, which is usually the case in group-regulated platforms that don't perform well in unbalanced (among the rails) loads. Thermaltake said these PSUs are compatible with Intels C6/C7 sleep states, something that we will have to confirm if or when we evaluate them.

image.png.446d6bd5a19a346b934c48d0793f6dba.png

This looks like a HEC or a Sirfa mainstream platform, but we can't be dead sure without closely examining the PSU. The transient filter is complete, and on the secondary side we spot Teapo filtering caps, which are a decent choice in such low-price units. The only two coils on the secondary side clearly show a group-regulated scheme, where the +12V and 5V are tied together while the 3.3V is regulated independently. The heatsinks are also quite small, for a low efficiency PSU, so we expect the fan to use an aggressive profile, especially given the long warranty.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/thermaltake-smart-rgb-psus-release,35073.html

Has picture of the internals, so maybe someone can recognise the platform it's based on and know a bit more about it.

Group regulated, so Tier C at best. Maybe Tier D just because of how stupid it is to have RGB on a PSU. Also the recommendation from Thermaltake to mount the PSU upside down (fan facing inside the case, in order to show off the stupid RGB lights) means that it will be drawing in hot air from inside the case, of particular concern from any GPUs directly above it in mATX cases, and those heatsinks really aren't going to be able to cope (especially with the units low "80+ White" efficiency). Oh, and there's no OTP either.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

Can't find any proper reviews for it, but Aris did comment on it when it was released.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/thermaltake-smart-rgb-psus-release,35073.html

Has picture of the internals, so maybe someone can recognise the platform it's based on and know a bit more about it.

Just from that picture, that looks like some low end CWT (GPK) platform with DF and group regulation. APFC. Those caps aren't Teapos... ChengX GR. Similar quality anyway..

Full EMI Filter even including surge and inrush protection.

Here's a review: https://vk.com/page-28398722_54717694

We also see some Capxon (probably GF series) caps in secondary, Aishi primary cap. Sleeve bearing fan. Crappy 8-pin protection IC (WelTrend WT7502V). 

Just a generic, cheap DF + Group Regulated PSU.

Voltage regulation was mediocre before we even test crossload.

Can someone review the S12III for once

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

11 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Blame Seasonic.

They only send retail PSUs to reviewers. Meaning they buy the S12III froma retailer, then ship to reviewer, that S12iii sits on that reviewer's queue for a month, then they need even more time to test, then to write the review.

Unlike every other company who gives reviewers stock from their warehouse a long time before they hit the market, so reviews arrive before people buy them.

7 hours ago, Spotty said:

4 hours ago, Rexper said:

Just from that picture, that looks like some low end CWT (GPK) platform with DF and group regulation.

It's made by Jiuzhou Yangguang, not CWT, and the rest is correct.

9 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

@jonnyGURU buy one and it send it to oklahomawolf because SeaSonic

Oklahomawolf is retired from reviewing. JonnyGURU might do a quick review himself.

8 hours ago, OrionFOTL said:

It's made by Jiuzhou Yangguang, not CWT, and the rest is correct

I should've known ? 

The design's off the CWT GPK anyway.

Just now, Rexper said:

JonnyGURU might do a quick review himself.

I feel like there could be a slight conflict of interest issue if that happens. 

:)

41 minutes ago, seon123 said:

I feel like there could be a slight conflict of interest issue if that happens. 

It wouldnt be listed under the sites "Reviews".

13 hours ago, Rexper said:

Blame Seasonic.

They only send retail PSUs to reviewers. Meaning they buy the S12III froma retailer, then ship to reviewer, that S12iii sits on that reviewer's queue for a month, then they need even more time to test, then to write the review.

Unlike every other company who gives reviewers stock from their warehouse a long time before they hit the market, so reviews arrive before people buy them.

The company sending a unit from a retailer doesn't seem that bad IMO, at least that means Seasonic isn't cherrypicking units to send out to reviewers.

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

The company sending a unit from a retailer doesn't seem that bad IMO, at least that means Seasonic isn't cherrypicking units to send out to reviewers.

Forcing reviewers to buy a sample, makes it so reviewers are less likely to review it. And if no one reviews it, it's not known how bad it is, so there's no backlash against it, so more people buy it.

It's a tactic used by brands who have not great PSUs.

15 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

15 hours ago, Rexper said:

Blame Seasonic.

They only send retail PSUs to reviewers. Meaning they buy the S12III from a retailer, then ship to reviewer, that S12iii sits on that reviewer's queue for a month, then they need even more time to test, then to write the review.

2 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

The company sending a unit from a retailer doesn't seem that bad IMO, at least that means Seasonic isn't cherry picking units to send out to reviewers.

46 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Forcing reviewers to buy a sample, makes it so reviewers are less likely to review it. And if no one reviews it, it's not known how bad it is, so there's no backlash against it, so more people buy it.

It's a tactic used by brands who have not great PSUs.

Seasonic doesn't "force" reviewers to buy PSUs from resellers.  Seasonic buys the review sample from the reseller FOR the reviewer.

But as Rexper points out:  This prevents "day one" reviews.

Hello guys, please help me choose between Ssonic Focus + Gold 550W and Be Quiet! Straight Power 11 550W. I can't get why is focus + gold in tier A while SP 11 in tier A+. I've read so much positive shit about Ssonic power supply units... The price in my country almost the same.

Or should I not consider these options at all?

My rig is: R5 2600x and RX 590.

Just now, R1ence said:

Hello guys, please help me choose between Ssonic Focus + Gold 550W and Be Quiet! Straight Power 11 550W. I can't get why is focus + gold in tier A while SP 11 in tier A+. I've read so much positive shit about Ssonic power supply units... The price in my country almost the same.

one of those again...

i'm going to explain this simply: a brand isn't smoke and blue magic, especially in the psu world. about any company has bad psu's (including seasonic, corsair, be quiet and many more).

because the focus line (including the plus and platinum) has a weird tripping point the last while, we tiered it down, and since you have a better one for the same price, i suggest you get that be quiet

43 minutes ago, R1ence said:

Hello guys, please help me choose between Ssonic Focus + Gold 550W and Be Quiet! Straight Power 11 550W. I can't get why is focus + gold in tier A while SP 11 in tier A+.

Straight Power 11 has no Problems with VEGA and other high end cards, Focus has.

Simple as that.

I've read so much positive shit about Ssonic power supply units...

Yeah, because some people want to believe in brands and don't look at the product itself.

And that is what is important, how good a product is compared to the Competition. 

What Name is attached to the product is not really relevant.

And frankly, I don't get the Seasonic Hype at all. Especially since thes make Mistakes on the Label!

The price in my country almost the same.

Then get the Straight Power, if they cost the same anyway.

Its the better and quieter product.

Has a real FDB Fan and lower fan RPM, better quality fan as well.

If the Focus has an FDB Fan or not is not known, nobody disassembled the fan yet...

Naa, the Straight Power 11 is sufficient.

What Wattage are you takling about??

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

19 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Has a real FDB Fan and lower fan RPM, better quality fan as well.

How do I know the BQ has a real FDB and the Seasonic does not?  Because BQ said so in German?

How do I know the BQ fan is better quality?  Do we know who in China makes it for them?

EDIT:  I'm being devil's advocate here.   I know for a fact the Seasonic does have a real Matsushita design FDB in the fan.  I honestly don't know the same about the BQ fan. 

8 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Naa, the Straight Power 11 is sufficient.
What Wattage are you takling about??

I think my system will draw like 400W in stress loads (R5 2600x, rx590 red devil, 1 sata hdd, 1 sata ssd). So with 550ish PSU ill be fine?

Also i've seen quite cheap (100$) Zalman ARX 750W Platinum [ZM750-ARX] in my local shop, but i can't find any good information about it.

38 minutes ago, R1ence said:

I think my system will draw like 400W in stress loads (R5 2600x, rx590 red devil, 1 sata hdd, 1 sata ssd). So with 550ish PSU ill be fine?

Also i've seen quite cheap (100$) Zalman ARX 750W Platinum [ZM750-ARX] in my local shop, but i can't find any good information about it.

ah, a enhance platinum 1300. it's around tier a-a+, so it's pretty good

32 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

ah, a enhance platinum 1300. it's around tier a-a+, so it's pretty good

I'm afraid about price being so low, almost 22$ lower (for platinum psu lol) than Be Quiet SP 11 :/, also it has only 3 negative reviews (maybe it is refurbished).
Is it bad that be quiet SP 11 have four 12v rails instead of a single one? I've read long ago somewhere that single rail is better in some ways.

13 minutes ago, R1ence said:

I'm afraid about price being so low, almost 22$ lower (for platinum psu lol) than Be Quiet SP 11 :/, also it has only 3 negative reviews (maybe it is refurbished).
Is it bad that be quiet SP 11 have four 12v rails instead of a single one? I've read long ago somewhere that single rail is better in some ways.

multiple rails normally is better. it doesn't mean that any multi-rail is good, but that aside. 

the zalman is again just a enhance electronics made psu (also makes psus for cooler master)

refurbished? how much warranty?

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

multiple rails normally is better. it doesn't mean that any multi-rail is good, but that aside. 

the zalman is again just a enhance electronics made psu (also makes psus for cooler master)

refurbished? how much warranty?

7 years on the website, but comments says 1 year :/

I think ill go with SP 11 550W for 125$ then ;)

5 minutes ago, R1ence said:

7 years on the website, but comments says 1 year :/

I think ill go with SP 11 550W for 125$ then ;)

makes sense, 1 year on a psu is quite short