[OLD] PSU Tier List 3.0 (Legacy)

LienusLateTips
Go to solution Solved by MEC-777,
10 hours ago, BarackOBatman said:

Does the Seasonic S12III go in the same tier as the S12II?

There aren't any reviews and its not in Europe yet...

We can't say much until we know more about the unit wich isn't much right now.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, R1ence said:

Why didn't I find any Aerocool KCAS series units in the tier list? Any particular reason?

there aren't many andysons in our list yet... I'll take a look into it

1 hour ago, R1ence said:

Why didn't I find any Aerocool KCAS series units in the tier list? Any particular reason?

Don't you dare tell us that you want to pick that bomb over SP11!!!

If you are under budget, look into modular version of Pure Power 11 or Whipser M (if price is lower than SP11)

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

7 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

there aren't many andysons in our list yet... I'll take a look into it

I assume that most of the KCAS (non + ones) units will be near tier C due to group regulation.

10 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

Don't you dare tell us that you want to pick that bomb over SP11!!!

If you are under budget, look into modular version of Pure Power 11 or Whipser M (if price is lower than SP11)

Im currently sitting with KCAS 600W non-plus unit :D. Im getting 11.2V on a 12v rail in heavy games (but it is with software monitoring, i don't have multimeter).

So kinda worried about their place in the tierlist.

And i decided to go with RMx 650W because of Powercolor recommendation of 600W PSU. I don't have SP E11 650W option in my local shops, only 550W.

Edited by R1ence

1 minute ago, R1ence said:

Im currently sitting with KCAS 600W non-plus unit :D. So kinda worried about their place in the tierlist.

And i decided to go with RMx 650W because of Powercolor recommendation of 600W PSU. I don't have SP E11 650W option in my local shops, only 550W.

I see. 

Well, I'd say that tier C is a little bit.... optimistic

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

*carefully reducing gpu voltage and power limit*

monkaS

Edited by R1ence

13 minutes ago, R1ence said:

I assume that most of the KCAS (non + ones) units will be near tier C due to group regulation.

yeah... it might be D too...

I'll browse through the thread-reviews, but a question:

Why Seasonic Focus & Focus Plus in the midrange, whereas Bitfenix Whisper&Formula in Tier A+? Their prices are virtually identical (at least here), and Seasonic Units come with looonger warranty time. No idea about differences in build quality though

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

11 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

Why Seasonic Focus & Focus Plus in the midrange, whereas Bitfenix Whisper&Formula in Tier A+? Their prices are virtually identical (at least here), and Seasonic Units come with looonger warranty time. No idea about differences in build quality though

otp issues until January, problems with high peak wattage GPUs, which applies to every single focus (gold/platinum/plus)

19 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

Because Seasonic PSUs are overpriced due their brand name?
?

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

1 minute ago, Quadriplegic said:

Because Seasonic PSUs are overpriced due their brand name?
?

only prime is good these days tbh, s12 and m12 are too old and should have been eol years ago, as mentioned focus has problems (so nzxt e and earthwatts gold too for your notice, as they're also focus (a couple others too, but these came to mind))

2 hours ago, R1ence said:

Because its utter shit and to be avoided.

No need to even think about it. There's a ton of better units to choose from.

Is two 8+6 paired gpu cables worse than 2 separate gpu cables? Asking because i've heard that from seasonic somewhere...

Just now, R1ence said:

Is two 8+6 paired gpu cables worse than 2 separate gpu cables? Asking because i've heard that from seasonic somewhere...

sometimes... they can be on different rails, which makes it more stable for cards like the v64

1 minute ago, R1ence said:

If the card has a TDP >225W, use two separate cables, on modular PSU. Otherwise, it's fine. 

:)

1 hour ago, R1ence said:

8+6 Cables are OK, as Cards with 8+6 tend to not be that bad in terms of powerconsumption, in most cases (not all). That is still somewhat OK.

But 8+8 is where it gets problematic and the spec for the pins can be violated and thus the connector burn...

That's why we criticize that, because its dangerous, especially if you don't have OCP set at the right values for the connector/that rail.

Disclaimer:
We're talking about 8pin connectors on PSU Side here. 

12pin Connectors on the PSU Side are usually fine as they are more like 2x8pin than one...

8 hours ago, R1ence said:

The 650/750/850 ones are HEC made. A review (russian) can be found here: https://3dnews.ru/910266

The others, except 1000 and 1200w variants, are based on the Andyson M5/Venus platform, with lesser quality caps. Review of the KCAS: http://article.techlabs.by/36_35024.html

Review of the Venus: http://www.f14lab.com/2017/09/review-andyson-venus-600.html

Here's some Youtube review: 

techpowerup bitfenix formula 750 review shows the hold up time is below atx spec min., does this affect components if there are brown or blackouts, even if they are rare?

hold_up_time.png

1 hour ago, DigitalONE said:

techpowerup bitfenix formula 750 review shows the hold up time is below atx spec min., does this affect components if there are brown or blackouts, even if they are rare?

Its close enough to the spec.

If you have a ton of brownouts, you should have an online UPS anyway, regardless of the PSU.

The Spec for the holdup time is mostly because of offline UPS and there its old ones that need a whole wave to switch to battery.

Modern UPS do that in half a wave or quicker, even the cheap/shitty ones do that...

And only aplies to 60Hz Line!

For 50Hz you'd want/need 20ms.

And for garbage lines, you want something to protect the PSU anyway.

hi, just wanted to say that the superflower golden green has been great for me. computer has been on 12+ hours a day since 2011 and no issues whatsoever.

I am looking into making a new build (byebye beautiful 2500k), and I guess after 8 years of use it is probably time to change psu too. I had a look on partpicker at psu and I have noticed that there are not many superflower listed with a price. did they stop making so many branded products? would have bought another golden green otherwise, since i don't really care about it being modular.

anyway, so far in my search I have found 2 that seem suitable, SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold and Corsair RM650x . i'm guessing either of these will be fine? will only be using a single card setup with an overclocked 9700k (or maybe zen2 if it turns out to be good).

1 hour ago, latchedlungs said:

hi, just wanted to say that the superflower golden green has been great for me. computer has been on 12+ hours a day since 2011 and no issues whatsoever.

I am looking into making a new build (byebye beautiful 2500k), and I guess after 8 years of use it is probably time to change psu too. I had a look on partpicker at psu and I have noticed that there are not many superflower listed with a price. did they stop making so many branded products? would have bought another golden green otherwise, since i don't really care about it being modular.

anyway, so far in my search I have found 2 that seem suitable, SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold and Corsair RM650x . i'm guessing either of these will be fine? will only be using a single card setup with an overclocked 9700k (or maybe zen2 if it turns out to be good).

The RM650x is the better one. 

Also, you could probably run with 550W, even 450W. 

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, LienusLateTips said:

The RM650x is the better one. 

Also, you could probably run with 550W, even 450W. 

cheers. so i don't need to leave any sort of headroom if overclocking the cpu and gpu? the gpu will likely be a vega 56. i would probably have about 5 case fans too. is the power consumption given by sites like partpicker fairly accurate?

7 minutes ago, latchedlungs said:

cheers. so i don't need to leave any sort of headroom if overclocking the cpu and gpu? the gpu will likely be a vega 56. i would probably have about 5 case fans too. is the power consumption given by sites like partpicker fairly accurate?

Oh... yeah go for a 650W. Vega 56 when OCed is a literal house fire.

PCPartPicker is accurate, when you don't overclock.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.