[OLD] PSU Tier List 3.0 (Legacy)

LienusLateTips
Go to solution Solved by MEC-777,
10 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

How do I know the BQ has a real FDB and the Seasonic does not?  Because BQ said so in German?

No, because they sell the fans in Retail and not just inside their PSU...

Also they were the one of the first, if not the first to use FDB Fans in PSU, at a time, when most people didn't even know they existed, back in 2005 or 6? with the Straight Power E5, so I was told.
Back in the day they used Protechnic fans. Though no idea who makes their fans now. Silent Wings 1 was using Protechnic Bearings.

And I'm pretty sure they don't just believe the Chinese and cut a fan open to see if its a real FDB...

I honestly don't know the same about the BQ fan. 

Then you should look at it further. Its not like the more modern Corsair designs weren't inspired by be quiet, were they? ;)

You could just get a Silent Wings 3 and cut it up, the fan in the PSU should be the same more or less.

1 hour ago, R1ence said:

I think my system will draw like 400W in stress loads (R5 2600x, rx590 red devil, 1 sata hdd, 1 sata ssd). So with 550ish PSU ill be fine?

Even 450W would be fine for such a mid range system ;)
It doesn't consume that much, you're more in the 300-350W range than 400W.

Don't believe Outervision...

My RX480 OC was around 250-300W with the R7/1700X

Though no OC besides factory OC of the GPU.

Also i've seen quite cheap (100$) Zalman ARX 750W Platinum [ZM750-ARX] in my local shop, but i can't find any good information about it.

Hm, that there isn't a review is not good but it should be OK, though nothing is known about fan and fan speed.

But if the price is that good, there is a catch. There has to be a catch...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

8 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

No, because they sell the fans in Retail and not just inside their PSU...

Also they were the one of the first, if not the first to use FDB Fans in PSU, at a time, when most people didn't even know they existed, back in 2005 or 6? with the Straight Power E5, so I was told.

Back in the day they used Protechnic fans. Though no idea who makes their fans now. Silent Wings 1 was using Protechnic Bearings.

I know.  I was playing devil's advocate.  Isn't that what you do in nearly every post?  The Hong Hua fan doesn't say "PROTECHNIC BEARING" on it.... so you assume they may not.  The Be Quiet USED TO BE Protechnic fans.  Now they just say "Be Quiet, Made In China".  Why is it any different to assume that the BQ is not a Protechnic FDB bearing either?

8 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Then you should look at it further. Its not like the more modern Corsair designs weren't inspired by be quiet, were they? ;)

Not sure what you're talking about.  The housing design, you mean?  With the wire grill?  I don't think one copied the other.  I think they just came out around the same time.  The Corsair one was actually designed by BMW or Huge or one of those design houses.  The BQ did hit the market first, but that's just because Corsair's development cycle is quite slow (typically a year to introduce a PSU from kick off).  I remember when George saw the new BQ ID and we were still in DVT and he said, "Shit... People are going to think we copied BQ when they see our new PSU in six months."

i see bitfenix formula is higher than focus gold, should i buy the formula over the focus?

38 minutes ago, DigitalONE said:

i see bitfenix formula is higher than focus gold, should i buy the formula over the focus?

the focus got tiered down with it's recent problems, so I'll probably say yes

5 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

the focus got tiered down with it's recent problems, so I'll probably say yes

what problems?

2 minutes ago, DigitalONE said:

what problems?

it first was oversensetive, but tuned down to undersensetive with high peak power graphics cards

23 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

it first was oversensetive, but tuned down to undersensetive with high peak power graphics cards

thanks, i'll buy the formula gold then

26 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

From redditA power supply sold after January 2018 has the updated sensitivity preset of overcurrent protection, so users can use it with confidence.

47 minutes ago, R1ence said:

From redditA power supply sold after January 2018 has the updated sensitivity preset of overcurrent protection, so users can use it with confidence.

Yes the OCP fix, but not the other ones.

They need to tune the design to fix the other issues.

To my knowledge its not fixed as there is an issue with Transients of that Design.

I've Linked a Post to Jonnyguru above or in other Threads.

And even if it is fixed, in some backwater places you can still get old stuff.

I got a pre August/Fixed Switch back in December last year.

Or a new new 3DS a Month or two ago.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

11 hours ago, R1ence said:

It went from being too low to too high, afaik.

I haven't been tracking this stuff much.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

On 4/2/2019 at 11:57 AM, R1ence said:

Hello guys, please help me choose between Ssonic Focus + Gold 550W and Be Quiet! Straight Power 11 550W. I can't get why is focus + gold in tier A while SP 11 in tier A+. I've read so much positive shit about Ssonic power supply units... The price in my country almost the same.

Or should I not consider these options at all?

My rig is: R5 2600x and RX 590.

Go for SP11. Focus+ Gold has issues where the protections are set too high, but older units are set too low. 

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

I got another dilemma, i can add some $ to a Corsair RMx 650W, or ill be completely fine with 550W Straight Power 11? Is in-cable capacitors (RMx) makes a big difference in ripple suppresion?

RMx costs 15$ more than the SP E11 550W

19 minutes ago, R1ence said:

I got another dilemma, i can add some $ to a Corsair RMx 650W, or ill be completely fine with 550W Straight Power 11? Is in-cable capacitors (RMx) makes a big difference in ripple suppresion?

rmx is better, but not by far. you're fine with both, so it's mainly if you want the extra's the rmx gives

31 minutes ago, R1ence said:

What are you powering? 

Here's testing for both. 

https://www.cybenetics.com/a/6Gh/

https://www.cybenetics.com/a/f2m/

I'd probably pick the Straight Power, as it has a FDB fan instead of a rifle bearing one, and because it has multi rail. 

:)

Corsair at it again, recycling names. Introducing:
*drumroll*
The RM 2019. No, it's not replacing the RMx or the RMi, from what I can tell. 
Available in 650, 750 and 850W versions, featuring a 140mm sleeve bearing fan, fully modular cables without in cable capacitors, 2x 4+4 pin EPS connectors on all 3 wattages, 6x PCIe connectors on the 750W and 850W versions, a more aggressive fan profile than the RMx, and <20mV ripple on 12V.

I thought Corsair didn't use any sleeve bearing fans? Or is Cybenetics wrong again?

https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database&amp;manfID=28&amp;volts=1

Edited by seon123
Added link to the linked site

Does the Seasonic S12III go in the same tier as the S12II?

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

16 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Corsair at it again, recycling names. Introducing:
*drumroll*
The RM 2019. No, it's not replacing the RMx or the RMi, from what I can tell. 
Available in 650, 750 and 850W versions, featuring a 140mm sleeve bearing fan, fully modular cables without in cable capacitors, 2x 4+4 pin EPS connectors on all 3 wattages, 6x PCIe connectors on the 750W and 850W versions, a more aggressive fan profile than the RMx, and <20mV ripple on 12V.

So replacing the original Corsair RM series? Interesting. Wonder where it fits in to the food chain with the rest of the line up. TXM > RM (2019) > RMx (2018) maybe??

10 minutes ago, seon123 said:

I thought Corsair didn't use any sleeve bearing fans? Or is Cybenetics wrong again?

Cybernetics is [probably] wrong in listing it as a Sleeve bearing fan (probably info provided by Corsair, remember the CX on Corsair's website!). Cybernetics lists the model of the fan as HA1425M12F-Z (who knows if that is correct!?!) and if you search that the top results that come up are for the Silverstone Strider 1000W, and descriptions of a FDB fan.

A 139mm Air Penetrator has been used in the Strider Gold Evolution which uses fluid dynamic bearing. The actual model of this fan is: HA1425M12F-Z and it operates at a quiet; 17dBA-28dBA.

https://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/silverstone_strider_gold_evolution_1000w_review,5.html

The high quality cooling fan is provided by Silverstone and belongs to the Air Penetrator series. Its model number is HA1425M12F-Z (12V, 0.36A) and besides Fluid Dynamic Bearings (FDB) which promises prolonged lifespan it utilizes a unique blade and grille design which, according to Silverstone, is able to create enough pressure to push air as far as one meter away with minimal fan speed and noise.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Silverstone/ST1000-G_Evolution/4.html

So conflicting info on the fan from Cybernetics there. We'll just have to wait and see once people start tearing it apart.

1 minute ago, BarackOBatman said:

Does the Seasonic S12III go in the same tier as the S12II?

I believe we're still waiting for reviews of the unit. When there's more info it'll be added to the list. For now consider it untested.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Okay, so before this list came out, I had already gotten the G3 to go with my current system(in sig), but when the Ryzen 3000 comes out, should I upgrade to something from the S list?

I just don't want to make sure nothing goes wrong anywhere.

Other places(tom's) told me that the G3 was great.

"Liam" - CPU: Ryzen 3700x Base GPU: EVGA Titan X(Maxwell) RAM: Trident Royal Z 32GB @ 3600mhz Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic White Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm Case Fans: Thermaltake Riing 12 Series Whitex6

9 minutes ago, AmpedUpDad said:

Okay, so before this list came out, I had already gotten the G3 to go with my current system(in sig), but when the Ryzen 3000 comes out, should I upgrade to something from the S list?

something from the s list isn't required, but something along the lines of a-a+ would be recommended

10 minutes ago, AmpedUpDad said:

Other places(tom's) told me that the G3 was great.

it's not a bomb, but it's certainly not great because of the otp and opp problems

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

What are you powering? 

Here's testing for both. 

https://www.cybenetics.com/a/6Gh/

https://www.cybenetics.com/a/f2m/

I'd probably pick the Straight Power, as it has a FDB fan instead of a rifle bearing one, and because it has multi rail. 

Im powering R5 2600x and rx 590, 125$ for 550W SP E11 and 140$ for RMx 650W is a bit too much for me :(

15 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

something from the s list isn't required, but something along the lines of a-a+ would be recommended

it's not a bomb, but it's certainly not great because of the otp and opp problems

So for now, it's okay, but once I upgrade, grab something better.

Got it.

Maybe I can flip it for some money when I upgrade.

"Liam" - CPU: Ryzen 3700x Base GPU: EVGA Titan X(Maxwell) RAM: Trident Royal Z 32GB @ 3600mhz Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic White Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm Case Fans: Thermaltake Riing 12 Series Whitex6

2 hours ago, R1ence said:

Im powering R5 2600x and rx 590, 125$ for 550W SP E11 and 140$ for RMx 650W is a bit too much for me :(

Easily the Straight Power, then.