Is this it? This is life?

Tom is a Door

I got myself an internship. As a computer information systems analyst. I pretty much do anything IT. 
From fixing people's outlook problems to setting up cisco routers, highest level of work I have done imo.
They are offering me full time for whenever I don't have school. Right now is winter break and I am doing 9-6. 

My question was that is this it? Like when you get older and become a real adult you just work 9-6/5. I came home tired
and watched netflix. You just crunch in 8/9 hours every day of the week? Feels really idk anti climactic?  

1 hour ago, Tom is a Door said:

I got myself an internship. As a computer information systems analyst. I pretty much do anything IT. 
From fixing people's outlook problems to setting up cisco routers, highest level of work I have done imo.
They are offering me full time for whenever I don't have school. Right now is winter break and I am doing 9-6. 

My question was that is this it? Like when you get older and become a real adult you just work 9-6/5. I came home tired
and watched netflix. You just crunch in 8/9 hours every day of the week? Feels really idk anti climactic?  

Here's the important question:

What would you prefer different?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Yep, pretty much. People say your school days are the best days of your life, not because school days are great, but because work days are even shitter. Some people escape this fate and have a job they really enjoy, but most of us just live for the weekend.

Top tip, live as close as possible to where you work. Even just 15 minutes shaved off your commute each way saves 2.5 hours a week, or 5 days!!!!!!!!!! a year (assuming you work 48 weeks).   

just work 9-6/5

No.

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

9-5 is just a stereotype, how long do Truck Drivers work? Bus Drivers? Taxi drivers? How many shifts does an all night convenience store have? What about grocery stores? Department stores?

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

tired

Perhaps instead of eating McDonalds and Wendys and Popeyes and KFC, if you eat fruits and crush some weights, you wont be tired.

I'm surprised you say you're tired... for doing basic IT work.

I guess you're just not used to it yet or you go to sleep way too late.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

On 1/9/2019 at 1:32 PM, TetraSky said:

I'm surprised you say you're tired... for doing basic IT work.

I guess you're just not used to it yet or you go to sleep way too late.

Mostly because I have to travel to different office 15 min walking locations. Also commute is 3.5 hrs

On 1/9/2019 at 1:15 PM, Tog Driver said:

9-5 is just a stereotype, how long do Truck Drivers work? Bus Drivers? Taxi drivers? How many shifts does an all night convenience store have? What about grocery stores? Department stores?

Ye but that's it? You become your job? 22 years of preparation for this?

On 1/9/2019 at 1:19 PM, Canada EH said:

Perhaps instead of eating McDonalds and Wendys and Popeyes and KFC, if you eat fruits and crush some weights, you wont be tired.

Nah I don't make enough to eat around where I work. I bring food from home. Maybe because of commute time it's tiring but nonetheless very anticlimactic for what I was told be prepared for 22 years. Not looking forward to graduating

As long as they pay me more than 10k/mo for that kinda job I'd even feed the users fucking donuts into their mouths

hell I'd do it for just a grand too

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

yes.

Sometimes with extra hours and weekends 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Just now, aezakmi said:

As long as they pay me more than 10k/mo

hah

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I'm a truck driver. I work around 14 hours a day according to my log book. On average I'm actually working 24 hours a day for 21 days at a time seeing as I sleep in the truck also. I don't have set shifts. I don't have access to most basic things normal people do. Been doing this for nearly 18 years now. If you enjoy your work it's not so bad. 

Oh and welcome to what the real world is. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

3 hours ago, Tom is a Door said:

You have evenings and weekends to make yourself something other than your job.

Or you need to change careers and do something more flexible that allows you to pursue other interests.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I work longer hours than that and different shifts and still find time for other things too do. It's all about how you utilize your time.

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

What you described is how work works. Some people are happy to just go to work and do their job and do what makes them happy in their own time. 

My advice to you is to ask yourself what do you want from your life. I will be 31 this year and I can tell you that unless you are one of those people who can seperate work and life. I say find out what you love to do and what you want to do with your life. 

Without money you can’t do anything, but you need a job to earn money. Your desired lifestyle will determine how much money you need to sustain yourself. 

Money requires work. 

There are are two types of workers. Those who are happy to work 40 or more hours a week for an employer and shut off completely when they go home. 

The second kind are the hard ones, they want to work but they want to come up with their own ideas, make their own decisions, be a part of something or even create something. 

That can be tough as an employee as often times all your boss wants you to do is come into work and do your designated job and that’s it, nothing more. 

In that case you have to start looking into self employment and finding a way to have your own business. 

6 hours ago, Tom is a Door said:

Depends who you are.  Anticlimactic is a choice.

I live for the 4 F's in no particular order:

Family

Food

Fighting

F******

Im 34 at the moment - Ive never felt more alive. 

So, whatever it takes to get there - if punching the clock 5 days a week (and I do that as well) is what it takes - that's EASY.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Such is life as an adult in the modern workforce.

I work as a desktop support tech on a variable shift, and while my shifts screw with my sleep patterns, I don't regret my choice in career paths, though there are times when I come home and I'm so wiped that I pass out. 

The thing that matters the most for quality of life and minimum stress is to minimize your debts. Not having to stress out about money and making payments takes a HUGE load off your shoulders and enables you to have fun with your money and life instead. I'm halfway done with paying off my student debt atm and I own a "hand me down" car that I owe nothing on, which cuts out two sources of debt so that I can channel that money instead into moving into a nice place in few months.

Being in a serious relationship with someone you have a lot in common with and reciprocates your feelings completely does a lot to improve your overall emotional and mental well-being too. You don't have to get married or have kids even. Just to be in a relationship like that is good enough (for me). Unfortunately I haven't achieved that mark yet...

I'm currently studying for my CySA certification as I hope to branch off into a career in cybersecurity at some point over the next couple of years. And that would bring a nice increase in pay and hopefully a more consistent work schedule.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

5 hours ago, Tom is a Door said:

Yeah, something like that, if you're not careful. you can try to find a job you like, and that way it doesn't feel like work.

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

2 hours ago, Zusafek said:

I'm a truck driver. I work around 14 hours a day according to my log book. On average I'm actually working 24 hours a day for 21 days at a time seeing as I sleep in the truck also. I don't have set shifts. I don't have access to most basic things normal people do. Been doing this for nearly 18 years now. If you enjoy your work it's not so bad. 

Oh and welcome to what the real world is. 

That is too bad, even when your "down" your still on the clock, works out to very little hourly wage. Then the under cutting of all the "newcomers" in the business too. I really hope Tesla goes ahead with the plans to build an electric semi, gosh the market would be flooded with extra batteries!

8 hours ago, Tom is a Door said:

The elite ruling class doesn't live like that. Only those who serve them. But either way, rich or poor, ruler or ruled, gettin old sucks.

2 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

The elite ruling class doesn't live like that. Only those who serve them. But either way, rich or poor, ruler or ruled, gettin old sucks.

Suckee or Sucker

or should it be Sucked or Sucker

Big Fish or Little Fish

22 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

That is too bad, even when your "down" your still on the clock, works out to very little hourly wage. Then the under cutting of all the "newcomers" in the business too. I really hope Tesla goes ahead with the plans to build an electric semi, gosh the market would be flooded with extra batteries!

No, please no electric trucks.

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.