Whats with the obsession with LEDS

So i just recently built a PC and i had to go out of my way to try to get non-led things on all my parts. I havn't been following the market for a while, and i was just wondering why?

My PC cost around 2000 cad, and i have no desire to show off whats inside the pc. I want to watch my monitor, not my computer.

Thoughts guys?

Just get a case with no windows if you don't want to see the LEDs.

Many people like them and it's way easier for a manufacturer to market a pretty LED motherboard, as compared to a brown PCB blue PCIE slot motherboard.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Because people like to show off their stuff and RGB allows you to customize the colors, unlike in the old days where you would buy a cold cathode tube with a set color and have to buy a different one if you didn't like it. People enjoy personalizing their stuff, if you don't like it you can turn the lights off.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

As said above, I like the personalization aspect and, I absolutely love seeing the inside of my PC. I just love seeing tech in the work in general.

I remember the first time I saw a transparent Gameboy when I was little. It blew me away that you can see inside.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

17 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Because people like to show off their stuff and RGB allows you to customize the colors, unlike in the old days where you would buy a cold cathode tube with a set color and have to buy a different one if you didn't like it. People enjoy personalizing their stuff, if you don't like it you can turn the lights off.

yeah but why do WE normal or enthusiast PC users have to pay more for dirt quality components just because they have fucking leds on them?

it's not about "just turn them off" it's about manufacturers putting them and the word "gaming" everywhere just to increase prices and take advantage of this gamers trend.

not to mention the dirt quality VRM heatsinks, the pointless shrouds over the I/O area blocking the airflow, the crap BIOS setups, lack of useful ports or slots

every major mobo manufacturer literally stopped making "normal" mobos with let's say X470 or Z370/390 chipsets, afaik ASUS only offers Q versions of the 370 that are useless for overclocking and none for AMD

what about graphics cards? the only kinda decent cards out there in terms of clocks and cooling are EVGAs and Sapphires

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

guess im more of a closet gamer. no one knows my PC XD and the girls i bring over are always shocked at my two monitors haha

2 hours ago, Bluphyre said:

So i just recently built a PC and i had to go out of my way to try to get non-led things on all my parts. I havn't been following the market for a while, and i was just wondering why?

My PC cost around 2000 cad, and i have no desire to show off whats inside the pc. I want to watch my monitor, not my computer.

Thoughts guys?

In some points we are on the same road, i would like to have a simple blind side paneled PC because less distractions.

But in some points I like the "state of the art" side of beautifully design PC components, despite that I prefer to have monotone light like full white, or full blue, etc rather than the rainbow color at the same time (because it will give me eyesore with multiple color flowing) to highlight the PC components for me to admire. For me personally It's more like a matter of self satisfaction. When I built it by myself and it works and it also features a good looking tech-art to admire, also when I'm doing my work on my PC and become saturated by the amount of thing to do on it, It's nice to lean back on the chair and relax and just simply stare at that state of tech-art for a while, sometimes it makes me like "OMG, this system looks really beautiful" and brings me some satisfaction. It's a pleasing personal achievement and consumption I think..

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

Most MOBOs have indicator LEDs and Q-code displays so I prefer to have a window so I can keep can eye on them. The only LEDs I'm installing in the computer I'm building are white so I can see inside the case better while working on something inside. Most of the time, they will be turned off or dimmed.

Since my computer will be in my bedroom (my living room is currently my workshop), I do not want any blue lights showing so they will not interfere with my sleep. Besides, RGB or monochromatic LEDs other than white will washout the colors of the components inside the computer.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

That's like asking why gems are valuable. Humans like shiny things. While I don't show off my rig, I did spend a fair amount of time making it look asthetically pleasing. I like the color blue a lot, so my fans have a blue glow. I find it relaxing to look at, even if it's not great for my sleep patterns.

2 hours ago, aezakmi said:

the pointless shrouds over the I/O area blocking the airflow, 

They actually make no noticeable difference. You're complaining about a non-existent issue.

2 hours ago, aezakmi said:

what about graphics cards? the only kinda decent cards out there in terms of clocks and cooling are EVGAs and Sapphires

You're overestimating how much they do. Cooling isn't the limit with clock speeds, at least not on NVIDIA chips. I don't have much experience with AMD ones.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

People like things they believe look nice. Some people buy fancy phones, nice cars, gaudy gold watches with gems, they buy expensive jewelry, paintings, wall ornaments, big TVs with more pixels than they'll ever need. It goes without saying that given the option, they'll buy a PC with RGB if they think that looks good. Kinda obvious IMO.

15 hours ago, Bluphyre said:

Thoughts guys?

The current on going fad.

Reminds me of the cold cathode phase folks went through before LEDs took over.

14 hours ago, aezakmi said:

Well, would you rather we go back to GPU shrouds looking like this -> bfg.jpg.90791af0259051e430ab30b5533ee9e8.jpg

I sure hope not.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

The same obsession people had when they had color TV's back in the days.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I've been looking for a new case to replace my current Elite 310 and noticed that probably like 70% of the cheaper cases are windowed. Really makes me feel bad that I have to pay 120€ to get a quality windowless case from Fractal Design.

I don't think LEDs are necessarily a bad thing, my 970 and motherboard both have LEDs on them and they aren't very disruptive. My case has no windows, but I thought it looked rather dull so I put a chinese 5050 RGB strip that I had lying around and I do think it made the PC look a bit more modern.

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

8 hours ago, Underi said:

I've been looking for a new case to replace my current Elite 310 and noticed that probably like 70% of the cheaper cases are windowed. Really makes me feel bad that I have to pay 120€ to get a quality windowless case from Fractal Design.

Why pay extra to go windowless??? Seems like just as much 'epeen' as those seeking the most RGB. If one is truly seeking performance and is RGB agnostic, then one would go for the best VALUE case, not merely to go with or buck a trend.

On 12/17/2018 at 3:55 PM, Bluphyre said:

Thoughts guys?

Yeah I know, what you mean. It is hard to explain the reasons why, and no I dont think its a matter of youth but I believe it to be more a factor of the Flashy Lights that humans are so attracted to. Think Las Vegas, its been a thing since the Caveman invented fire. Then once Neon took over in the early 1900's, say 1915'ish I'd guess. Well since then the human psyche of Flash and Dazel, has been past on in the gene pool. Add to those factors the "Wired In" of todays society, it just adds to the problem. I dont get why RGB is so popular when it comes to computers.

even with my laptop that has LEDs , i hardly use them, ijust turn them on sometimes to make sure they work

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

On 12/19/2018 at 4:22 AM, FIThrowaway2738 said:

Why pay extra to go windowless??? Seems like just as much 'epeen' as those seeking the most RGB. If one is truly seeking performance and is RGB agnostic, then one would go for the best VALUE case, not merely to go with or buck a trend.

Because maybe I don't want to be a show-off, maybe I don't want people to see my intel stock cooler or my half-assed cable management? Cable management depends on the case, but I don't think a dusty intel cooler and fan wires hanging on the GPU are attractive. I prefer windowless cases and cheaper cases have usually worse materials, worse cable management and worse upgradability. This is a fact for both windowed and windowless cases.

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

i don't really mind the RGB craze to be honest. when done tastefully, it can actually look pretty nice.

also, i have my PC on my desk, and i put hours and hours of work into the custom watercooling. HAving some LEDs in there helps to show it off pretty well. granted, i always have the RGB set to white, and the LED strip i'm using is white only, but still. ? 

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBEEEEEEEEEEEEE

But seriously, the trend with RGB is awful. I mean I like the customization it offers if you're into making a color themed build, but often it's too over done.

and even when there's not too much of it, it gets kinda ruined by those who over did it.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

18 minutes ago, campy said:

I mean, i would.

Cooler art was fantastic.

Coolers today are honestly kinda lame compared to a lot of what came before the maxwell/pascal cards. Not just the idea of blower coolers with stickers on them, but there were some really interesting designs for the coolers themselves you dont see anymore, like Gainward and the Phantom/Bliss line of cards

To be fair, in most cases, you wouldn't even be able to see the cooler art in the first place. So it was pointless, might as well put more fans on there or an exposed heatsink fin array for passive cooling.

I care not for RGB in a computer, I don't mind them on accessories like mouse and keyboard though.
Having bright lights in my peripheral vision in the last thing I want.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

On 12/24/2018 at 4:26 PM, campy said:

I mean, i would.

Cooler art was fantastic.

hd4870x2.thumb.jpeg.c61d4bc0c7dc24ee86eccc073893b4d4.jpeg

Coolers today are honestly kinda lame compared to a lot of what came before the maxwell/pascal cards. Not just the idea of blower coolers with stickers on them, but there were some really interesting designs for the coolers themselves you dont see anymore, like Gainward and the Phantom/Bliss line of cards.

Image result for gainward bliss 8800gt

Here the deal about that art, it faces down when the card is installed, and considering back then side mounting cards in a case where hardly an option.

Personally, I dislike those old coolers and most new ones.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Mostly for aesthetic purpose but i am that kind of person who prefer performance over aesthetic so..

Though i do miss when manufacturer put some COOL art on the GPU.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore