Class action against Apple for systems damaged due to lack of dust filters

Spotty
1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

dust resistant coating.

Yes, plus install a dust collecting device in the room its in.

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

-snip-

I love watching that guy - I data mine numbers at work and Ill put him on and just listen to his calm demeanor and learn about shitty Apple products lol

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

I see there's an option no one else has pointed out.

Macs are harder to open (exotic screws, iMacs everything behind the screen etc.) and they collect dust like any other PC. The thing here is that Apple apparently refuses to only clean Macs, they will change the parts and you will pay for it even if only taking the thing appart and blowing some air to it would have been enough. $700 for a new logicboard because there was a ton of dust in the fan and heatsink that could have been just blown out with a $5 compressed air can is A FUCKING ROBBERY (sorry for my french there). I could understand if Apple was to charge $20-50 for a through cleanup including some alcohol wiping and replacement of thermal paste.

Oh, but I forgot, Apple doesn't do a shit for "broken" Macs. They have even made it into their business model to ripoff the last pennies from their customers for repairs. Loose connector -> New logicboard and $700+$100 for the work and Apples cashregister says *cha-ching* because fixing the real problem costed $100 for the work. Hell, you might even need to pay them $25-75 for even checking up what's the problem and they could have fixed that loose connector there, but today they don't even open your Mac for that price, that price only gives you a run in their diagnostic software. Oh, and also almost forgot that you would also loose your data, because it's so fucking hard to take one SSD out of it's socket if a logicboard replacement is needed (and those Macs that have removable SSDs, they are even secured with a normal philips screw).

44 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

I love watching that guy - I data mine numbers at work and Ill put him on and just listen to his calm demeanor and learn about shitty Apple products lol 

Yup I watched him once or twice.

His setup is awesome!

I would like to know all his equipment! Including reflow station.

Hopefully they extract billions from Apple for the dollar filters they could have added in the first place. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I repair laptops for a living. In bulk. Like up to 40 a day some times (on a great fucking day). I have repaired (probably) thousands of laptops in the past 3 years.

What in the actual fuck, do dust filters, have to do with screens? You spray them with Windex mixed 50/50 with water, and wipe them down with a clean, lint free paper towel (blue shop towel will work) and they look fucking fine.

The smudges you might see that don't come off, are not from dust. They're from weight on the back of the top cover, pushing the screen into the keyboard and or palm rest of the laptop. That does not come off unless you are EXTREMELY careful and take a razor blade to the screen to try and scrape the crap embedded in the LCD screen off. More often than not, you just replace the screen because that takes less time.

The smudges on the screen are a design flaw resulting from:

1. The desire some companies have to build ever lighter, thinner, and as a result, less durable products.

2. Someone not using a good enough laptop case/bag, to compensate for how poorly these products are designed.

As much as I hate Apple, this has nothing to do with dust filters and EVERYTHING to do with how stupid thin they are, and how the LCD screen and top will flex, and contact the keyboard and palm rest which are covered with oils, skin cells, and whatever else people leave on their keyboard during general use. You can even see the outline of the individual keys on the screen some times.

This is not a problem unique to Apple, but I would blame Apple for leading to the constantly thinner trend, creating this issue.

Edit: I realize, upon re-reading the OP, that the device in question was a "desktop", not a laptop.

My point still stands in regards to their laptops. Which in the repair industry are notorious for the problem describe.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

7 hours ago, corrado33 said:

Not really. Many OEM computers have warranty stickers over the side panels or on one of the screws indicating that you have opened them. 

never seen a sticker on any of the OEM prebuilts I've ever used, and I'm including 3 laptops in that along with 4 desktops, across several brands. 

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

3 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I repair laptops for a living. In bulk. Like up to 40 a day some times (on a great fucking day). I have repaired (probably) thousands of laptops in the past 3 years.

What in the actual fuck, do dust filters, have to do with screens? You spray them with Windex mixed 50/50 with water, and wipe them down with a clean, lint free paper towel (blue shop towel will work) and they look fucking fine.

The smudges you might see that don't come off, are not from dust. They're from weight on the back of the top cover, pushing the screen into the keyboard and or palm rest of the laptop. That does not come off unless you are EXTREMELY careful and take a razor blade to the screen to try and scrape the crap embedded in the LCD screen off. More often than not, you just replace the screen because that takes less time.

The smudges on the screen are a design flaw resulting from:

1. The desire some companies have to build ever lighter, thinner, and as a result, less durable products.

2. Someone not using a good enough laptop case/bag, to compensate for how poorly these products are designed.

As much as I hate Apple, this has nothing to do with dust filters and EVERYTHING to do with how stupid thin they are, and how the LCD screen and top will flex, and contact the keyboard and palm rest which are covered with oils, skin cells, and whatever else people leave on their keyboard during general use. You can even see the outline of the individual keys on the screen some times.

This is not a problem unique to Apple, but I would blame Apple for leading to the constantly thinner trend, creating this issue.

Edit: I realize, upon re-reading the OP, that the device in question was a "desktop", not a laptop.

My point still stands in regards to their laptops. Which in the repair industry are notorious for the problem describe.

It was the iMac's with the dust-in-screen problem.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

15 hours ago, AHaskin14 said:

The logic applies to any product in creation. If you fail to do the process correctly, the product can break. This applies to any scale. Easy, Hard, Cheap, Expensive. Macbooks are expensive and difficult to repair, but there are certainly people capable of doing it correctly beyond the apple service team

15 hours ago, AHaskin14 said:

Well that's exactly correct. But if a macbook was the easiest thing in the world to fix, would you still sue the company over no dust filters?

I have a $400 Acer from 2007 with no filters that still works just fine today. I haven't cleaned it out once.  If the mac book can't go 9 moths and apples says the mainboard has to be replaced, then that indicates a design flaw, for a top tier product that gets best by a fucking Acer this is hilarious and apple should loose this case.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I have a $400 Acer from 2007 with no filters that still works just fine today. I haven't cleaned it out once.  If the mac book can't go 9 moths and apples says the mainboard has to be replaced, then that indicates a design flaw, for a top tier product that gets best by a fucking Acer this is hilarious and apple should loose this case.

People who adore Apple really don't like it when you compare one of their products to a budget unit (regardless of fact).
Also, its been the same for both my Mum's HP Touchsmart TM2 (2010/2011), Elitebook 2760p (2011/2012) and Grandmother's base model Compaq CQ60 (2007/2008).

PMSL

As much as i enjoy slapping around Apple when anything comes up.

I am looking at my Surface Book 2 which has a fan in it since its the 15" i7 and it's even less serviceable than an imac, has no dust filter.

This fan fills up with dust its the bin for this machine.

I get Apple is being sued about this issue but umm... its not like its the only product setup this way.

Dust will take realistically 5-10 years building up, dont live in filth ? :)

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

33 minutes ago, Maticks said:

As much as i enjoy slapping around Apple when anything comes up.

I am looking at my Surface Book 2 which has a fan in it since its the 15" i7 and it's even less serviceable than an imac, has no dust filter.

This fan fills up with dust its the bin for this machine.

I get Apple is being sued about this issue but umm... its not like its the only product setup this way.

Look at Apple's solution for the problems though. Its not to simply clean out the dust, its either to replace the motherboard or screen at an extremely high cost, or buy a new product.

PMSL

1 hour ago, Maticks said:

And my argument would be that it doesn't whether it is made by MS, HP, Apple or nestle.  If the design results in throttling, charging premium for it and telling customers the only solution is to spend money on a new mainboard rather than a clean AND this is happening inside of 12 months then they should be sued, if not for dodgy design then at least for extorting the customer with unnecessary repairs. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I question whether or not dust filters would be very effective. Air pressure at the intakes on MacBooks is pretty high since the slits are so small. I'm often classified as a fanboy, but I've taken apart many of my Macs and almost never have they had any more dust than my PCs—including laptops. I think the primary difference is that Apple seldom uses conformal coating on more sensitive areas unlike certain laptop manufacturers. The solution is pretty easy, I'd think. They just haven't done it yet. At the same time, I'd be interested to see what percentage of users this is happening to. It's ought to be pretty minimal.

Yes, it is me. That one idiot Apple-centric YouTuber. Don't worry, I PCMR too.

@SpottyMan you are just the guy for the news, huh? ❤️

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

4 hours ago, SnazzyLabs said:

I question whether or not dust filters would be very effective. Air pressure at the intakes on MacBooks is pretty high since the slits are so small. I'm often classified as a fanboy, but I've taken apart many of my Macs and almost never have they had any more dust than my PCs—including laptops. I think the primary difference is that Apple seldom uses conformal coating on more sensitive areas unlike certain laptop manufacturers. The solution is pretty easy, I'd think. They just haven't done it yet. At the same time, I'd be interested to see what percentage of users this is happening to. It's ought to be pretty minimal.

when i use to watch your videos i thought another apple fanboy, but these days no your providing industry information and in depth data for the industry regardless if its good for apple or not. That got a sub from me. :)

Apple is really good at stealing other peoples idea's, why don't they just implement what some fans have they will reverse rotation every few minutes for a few seconds throwing the dust out before it builds up.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

Was worried one time my brother's (forced to buy) macbook pro 13's keyboard had non-functional keys.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 11/30/2018 at 3:01 PM, AHaskin14 said:

There's no reason that you can't go and replace every single piece on your car by yourself

Yes they are, new cars have very strict security in their electronics. So if you replace a part that has any electronics in it it wont work until you install it with the menufacturers special software. And the only ones that can have that software is the official service centers.

On 11/30/2018 at 1:30 PM, Blademaster91 said:

It would require the user to clean out a filter, which I doubt most would do anyway. The "smudges" appearing on the screen though, i think could maybe be fixed by using a gasket to seal the gap in the display glass.

Aren't most of the displays using a special glue/strip to adhere them. One would think that would already help prevent the issue.

Got a 3 year old iMac in my place, and it's super dusty where I am. Along with cat hair. I need to clean out my Enthoo Luxe chassis filters every month. never seen dust around my mac screen.

Plus if apple adds "dust filters" like some suggest, that would need cleaning, and considering it's the panel glass...I think more consumers might damage it all. Never mind how do you get a dust filter in between the panel/glass and chassis that's glue sealed.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q