Class action against Apple for systems damaged due to lack of dust filters

Spotty
Just now, AHaskin14 said:

INo company prevents that.

Apple prevents that! Did you watch ANY of the videos about Linus breaking the iMac? They had to go through loops to get one of the main components because Apple won't sell them. 

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

3 minutes ago, Shally said:

The iMac is and incredibly hard device to open and dissemble. ONE accidental slip, that can happen to ANYONE(looking at you LTT team), can cost you thousands. Tell me one other product that that can happen to.

The logic applies to any product in creation. If you fail to do the process correctly, the product can break. This applies to any scale. Easy, Hard, Cheap, Expensive. Macbooks are expensive and difficult to repair, but there are certainly people capable of doing it correctly beyond the apple service team

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

5 minutes ago, AHaskin14 said:

I still agree with what you say, honestly. But it's still like the car example. There's no reason that you can't go and replace every single piece on your car by yourself. No company prevents that. It does take a variety of expensive tools though, and unless you want to purchase them yourself, you have to take it to someone who is capable.

Apple is actively preventing just that. They are using ICE to seize replacement parts as they are arriving from overseas so unless you purchase the part directly from Apple (not possible unless you're an authorized repair shop) there's a possibility that a replacement screen you ordered on eBay might never arrive.

-KuJoe

Apple probably would say:

"It's a feature. It needs to be this way so your precious overpriced product will be covered in dust, a pile of dust because dust everywhere and we invented the dust. But unfortunately there are two group of dust. A bad dust and a good dust. If it happens your precious product catches the bad dust, you can pay exorbitant prices because the bad dust is one ugly motherfucker that needs to be annihilated and that requires our super advanced AI technology to bust the bad dust"

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Apple prevents that! Did you watch ANY of the videos about Linus breaking the iMac? They had to go through loops to get one of the main components because Apple won't sell them. 

I'm aware of the part sale issue, but that wasn't my point. Apple doesn't prevent you from opening the product and "tinkering" with what is there. it's not easy, but it's not strictly prohibited

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX

The logic applies to any product in creation. If you fail to do the process correctly, the product can break. This applies to any scale. Easy, Hard, Cheap, Expensive. Macbooks are expensive and difficult to repair, but there are certainly people capable of doing it correctly beyond the apple service team

But Apple are boycotting them. eg. The battery scandal with Rossman. 

So:
1)Apple makes a design flaw that causes people to dissemble products

2)Apple makes it then harder for them to fix issues caused by this design flaw
3)If something goes wrong, you either pay thousands to Apple to fix it or go to a third party
4)But Apple boycott those third parties so they can't even help you 

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

Apple is actively preventing just that. They are using ICE to seize replacement parts as they are arriving from overseas so unless you purchase the part directly from Apple (not possible unless you're an authorized repair shop) there's a possibility that a replacement screen you ordered on eBay might never arrive.

Again, nothing with this law suit is over "replacing" parts. Are you saying that if apple allowed people to replace their "dusty" logic board very 9 months there wouldn't be a problem.

3 minutes ago, AHaskin14 said:

I'm aware of the part sale issue, but that wasn't my point. Apple doesn't prevent you from opening the product and "tinkering" with what is there. it's not easy, but it's not strictly prohibited

no because that would be illegal. But I shouldn't have to risk thousands to clean out dust because Apple didnt put any filters in. 

Again, nothing with this law suit is over "replacing" parts. Are you saying that if apple allowed people to replace their "dusty" logic board very 9 months there wouldn't be a problem.

I'm saying if those parts were easy to replace people wouldn't be terrified doing the job themselves. 

Just now, Shally said:

I'm saying if those parts were easy to replace people wouldn't be terrified doing the job themselves. 

Well that's exactly correct. But if a macbook was the easiest thing in the world to fix, would you still sue the company over no dust filters?

14 minutes ago, AHaskin14 said:

What's proprietary about it? If you would like to disassembles the product and clean it, you have every right to do so. Ifixit sells the tools. If you your not capable of doing it yourself, you take it to someone to do it for you. Apple is proprietary with the purchasing of its parts, but dusting something shouldn't require you to replace anything.

I work at a ubreakifix, I work with iMacs. Apple makes it difficult on purpose so you basically have to break something to get into it. We don’t of course, but even with professional 3rd part apples bullshit prevents us from doing a good job

Well that's exactly correct. But if a macbook was the easiest thing in the world to fix, would you still sue the company over no dust filters?

No, I wouldn't.   Same goes with the iMac. 

no because that would be illegal. But I shouldn't have to risk thousands to clean out dust because Apple didnt put any in. 

That's been my point from the beginning though. you shouldn't have to risk it, but you are, because you purchased that design from the company. My point is you can't blame a company for their choices in design, because you agreed to the design with your purchase. I shouldn't "have" to risk my life in a car with a "2 star" safety rating because the manufacturer didnt make it a "5 star" car, but I do every day, knowing that I purchased the car like that.

7 minutes ago, AHaskin14 said:

No, I was just replying to your off topic comment since I figured you had a way of connecting what you said with the main topic about the lawsuit. :)

-KuJoe

2 minutes ago, Docretier said:

I work at a ubreakifix, I work with iMacs. Apple makes it difficult on purpose so you basically have to break something to get into it. We don’t of course, but even with professional 3rd part apples bullshit prevents us from doing a good job

You don't break it, there you go, exactly. Someone may break there car trying to repair it themselves, so they take it to the profesionals who wont break it. They didn't have to do that, but they admitted they were incapable of maintaining it themselves and had to refer to someone else.

Has anyone on these forums owned one of the devices included in the class action (Macbook or iMac made since 2013) and experienced issue with dust build up inside the device? Would be interesting to hear some stories from people experiencing this issue and if they were able to fix the device themselves or if they took the device to Apple for repair, and if so what the experience was like from Apple?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

not the recent ones ._.

so you expect people to drop all the established macOS workflow (years and years and years) just because the new macs have a poor design?

Are you saying I should switch car brands because my "favorite that I'm used to" isn't meeting my standards? It's not a companies fault that you feel obligated to purchase their products

34 minutes ago, AHaskin14 said:

And there's nothing proprietary about changing a tire. Absolutely anyone can purchase the pieces to do it themselves, with no restrictions. If that's too expensive for you (apple) then take public transportation (other "easier to fix" product)

What I meant is you shouldn't need a special screwdriver to dust out your computer, and the iMacs requires the glass being pried off and the display removed without breaking it, which could be compared to having to lift an engine out of the car to replace the oil filter.

26 minutes ago, AHaskin14 said:

I still agree with what you say, honestly. But it's still like the car example. There's no reason that you can't go and replace every single piece on your car by yourself. No company prevents that. It does take a variety of expensive tools though, and unless you want to purchase them yourself, you have to take it to someone who is capable.

But most people are just going to take it to the closest Apple store, which is most of the problem according to the article as they would rather charge for expensive replacement parts than actually just dusting out the fans. The expensive proprietary tools are done on purpose to keep people from fixing it themselves, even if the tools can be bought,the fact of needing a special tool probably keeps them out anyway.

4 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

strange thing is the display lid on the macbooks are supposed to be sealed and cooled passively o_o at least from what I remember from ifixit. not sure how dust got into the recent macbooks

That issue might be specific to the iMac device where the panel and internal components are housed in the same unit. The Macbooks might just be the issue with thermal throttling.
The image on the source article shows what appears to be an iMac screen with some form of dirt underneath the glass in the lower corner.

Spoiler

image.png.11e1e97c094e8ee96eae25c852d5514c.png

3 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

have you not heard of the airbag recall?

Ah shit I've totally forgot about that. I've received like 5 "URGENT NOTICES" from my manufacturer and I haven't bothered to book in to do it. The car that is affected has been mostly garaged for the last year so hasn't really been an urgent issue for me...

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, AHaskin14 said:

Are you saying I should switch car brands because my "favorite that I'm used to" isn't meeting my standards? It's not a companies fault that you feel obligated to purchase their products

Or that recall where GM killed people to save something like 30 cents a unit.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2017/10/20/gm-settles-deadly-ignition-switch-cases-120-million/777831001/

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Yes, and having them be faulty is illegal. There's nothing illegal about not using dust filters. a computer without a dust filter isn't faulty, it's just not a good design

I'll post a final example.

An elderly woman purchases a home, with no screens on the windows.

Without those screens, bugs, leaves, and other things can get into the home.

Could she have purchased a different house with screens in the windows? Yes

Was it illegal for the owner to sell the house without screens? No

Can she put screens in the windows herself? absoultey

Is she likely incapable of doing it herself, and will need someone else to perform that maintenance for her? Yes.

Is it the old owners fault that she cant put in screens? No

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

sure it isn't illegal, but if a sizeable percentage of the userbase experiences an issue traceable to a build batch, should the company rectify the problem?https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

https://www.apple.com/support/13-inch-macbook-pro-solid-state-drive-service-program/

Desiging a product in a certain way is different than a batch failing. There's nothing failed about not having the filter. It was purposely made that way.

8 minutes ago, AHaskin14 said:

I'll post a final example.

An elderly woman purchases a home, with no screens on the windows.

Without those screens, bugs, leaves, and other things can get into the home.

Could she have purchased a different house with screens in the windows? Yes

Was it illegal for the owner to sell the house without screens? No

Can she put screens in the windows herself? absoultey

Is she likely incapable of doing it herself, and will need someone else to perform that maintenance for her? Yes.

Is it the old owners fault that she cant put in screens? No

These aren't very good examples. In this example you're making the assumption that the lady is able to purchase her own "screens", in the case of Apple that is not the case. Apple doesn't put their "screens" on the market for people to purchase to replace or add. Apple actively prevents people from purchasing those "screens" online from third parties to install themselves and forces the old lady who just spent a fortune on a new house to hire a specialist to order special screens and install them. And before you ask, no this has nothing to do with the lawsuit but you keep bringing it up so I'm going to keep going off topic with you.

A much better example to the lawsuit would be that the elderly lady bought a house with no screens but when she went to go sweep out the bugs and leaves the construction company made the house in a way that the broom she had owned and used at her previous houses no longer works in her new house and was unable to sweep up the things in her house so she had to call a specialist to sweep her house every week/month/year.

-KuJoe

16 minutes ago, Spotty said:

That issue might be specific to the iMac device where the panel and internal components are housed in the same unit. The Macbooks might just be the issue with thermal throttling.
The image on the source article shows what appears to be an iMac screen with some form of dirt underneath the glass in the lower corner.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.11e1e97c094e8ee96eae25c852d5514c.png

Ah shit I've totally forgot about that. I've received like 5 "URGENT NOTICES" from my manufacturer and I haven't bothered to book in to do it. The car that is affected has been mostly garaged for the last year so hasn't really been an urgent issue for me...

The i9 8950HK macbook would probably become a cookbook when full of dust. Sort of a weird design oversight though on the iMacs, if it wasn't done on purpose to save cost to not have the glass sealed into the display.