Apple's new MacBook Pro lineup have a developed a way to repel dust away from the keyboard

AskTJ
2 hours ago, Commodus said:

it is protection

9 hours ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Euhm... a keyboard condom.

Revolutionary.

1 hour ago, rmathiasen said:

So will their replacement program for older devices use this new keyboard design then?

Don't quote me on this, but although there is no change to the aluminium body needed to fit the new keyboard design, I highly doubt that older macbooks will receive it through the replacement program.

After all, Apple needs to get rid of its old stock somehow, no? ;) 

23 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Don't quote me on this, but although there is no change to the aluminium body needed to fit the new keyboard design, I highly doubt that older macbooks will receive it through the replacement program.

That was my initial thought, but with the suck high cost of the repair it might make sense to opt for the fixed design so that they don't have to fix the problem multiple times per device. But I don't know either.

1 hour ago, rmathiasen said:

That was my initial thought, but with the suck high cost of the repair it might make sense to opt for the fixed design so that they don't have to fix the problem multiple times per device. But I don't know either.

I guess we'll have to wait till some people who have their macbook repaired report about it... :) 

1 hour ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Apple has supposedly been using the slightly improved 2017 keyboard in 2016 models. So assuming this is compatible (which it presumably is), they'll likely use the 2018 version instead (at least effectually).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 hours ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Euhm... a keyboard condom.

Revolutionary.

Image result for keyboard cover

Remember when people bought these?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

29 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Remember when people bought these?

Indeed! -_-

Are these still a thing? I haven't seen them around anymore lately...

5 hours ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Indeed! -_-

My grandparents both use them unfortunately...

There's got to be a catch.

Is the new keyboard randomly going to spontaneously combust?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Is the new keyboard randomly going to spontaneously combust?

I don't think Samsung manufacturers keyboards.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Sounds like a rubber dome

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I remember when keyboards used to have these in them as standard, back when you could spill all your coffee and 2 cokes on the keyboard and it would still work.

Prior to that you could get soft waterproof plastic membrane that just went over the whole keyboard.  I used to have one in '92.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

17 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I remember when keyboards used to have these in them as standard, back when you could spill all your coffee and 2 cokes on the keyboard and it would still work.

Prior to that you could get soft waterproof plastic membrane that just went over the whole keyboard.  I used to have one in '92.

You can still get them :)

Interesting... Let's see if it works.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

You can still get them :)

My mum bought them for my siblings school laptops. Still had keys fall off though.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

17 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

My mum bought them for my siblings school laptops. Still had keys fall off though.

Well kids are kids you know. I don’t even see why they need laptop for school when the school has computers these days.

46 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Well kids are kids you know. I don’t even see why they need laptop for school when the school has computers these days.

It depends on your school I'd wager. I think many schools only have dedicated rooms for computers, not computers in the class room. So if you want to take notes digitally, then you'll have to bring your own. Then again, some ban the use of devices because they can be very disruptive.

48 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

In secondary it's better for the students have their own rather than use the schools fleet.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 hours ago, mr moose said:

In secondary it's better for the students have their own rather than use the schools fleet.

Indeed.

And offer students the opportunity to buy one at a decent discount from the school itself.

21 hours ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Indeed! -_-

Yes, I own/use one. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yes, I own/use one. 

No, seriously?!?! o.OO.o

From everyone out there, you were actually one of the few that I would definitely not have guessed using this xD

4 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

No, seriously?!?! o.OO.o

From everyone out there, you were actually one of the few that I would definitely not have guessed using this xD

I like Apple, but I know what facts are. The 2016 keyboards break. Even though there is a repair program, f*ck sending my machine out. 

I soemtimes use the cover, sometimes I don’t. Just like I sometimes use my clamshell Case or I don’t. 

It does make the keys feel very non-clicky, but I get to see all the shit that didn’t fall into my keyboard so....lol. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

On 7/14/2018 at 8:59 AM, Commodus said:

Egads, some of the responses here... Apple apparently fixes the problem and they're still finding ways to complain (despite a lack of evidence for their claims).   It's almost as if they're not really interested in Apple fixing the flaw, and just want an excuse to attack the company. ?

Seriously, folks: we have no idea how well this new protection will hold up, but it is protection, and there's no immediate reason to believe that it'll fall apart under daily use.

My guess is that it is 98% effective when used correctly.........

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

I like Apple, but I know what facts are. The 2016 keyboards break. Even though there is a repair program, f*ck sending my machine out. 

I soemtimes use the cover, sometimes I don’t. Just like I sometimes use my clamshell Case or I don’t. 

It does make the keys feel very non-clicky, but I get to see all the shit that didn’t fall into my keyboard so....lol. 

I don't have them. I truly like the design, so it would be a shame to hide this under a keyboard mat or in a clamshell case.

The only thing that I use for my laptops is a sleeve.

For my iPhone exactly the same: no bumper case or anything. I use a rigid pouche to store the phone while it is in my pocket, but that's it.

Although... I'm always extremely carefull with all of my devices. Perhaps a little bit too obsessively carefull though :D

Up until now, none of my laptops of phones have any scratches, dents, cracked screens etc. at all.

My first phone: an iPhone 3GS still works perfectly fine till this day and doesn't even have a scratch... even at the back (somehting that they were known for). It genuinely looks like I've pulled this one straight out of the box a few minutes ago.