Apple's new MacBook Pro lineup have a developed a way to repel dust away from the keyboard

AskTJ

Apple didn't need to develop this brand new technology of a laptop keyboard that doesn't break from dust, they already had, because as we all know it was the users who couldn't type properly that was the issue, not the macbooks keyboard :P 

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

4 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

I don't have them. I truly like the design, so it would be a shame to hide this under a keyboard mat or in a clamshell case.

The only thing that I use for my laptops is a sleeve.

For my iPhone exactly the same: no bumper case or anything. I use a rigid pouche to store the phone while it is in my pocket, but that's it.

Although... I'm always extremely carefull with all of my devices. Perhaps a little bit too obsessively carefull though :D

Up until now, none of my laptops of phones have any scratches, dents, cracked screens etc. at all.

My first phone: an iPhone 3GS still works perfectly fine till this day and doesn't even have a scratch... even at the back (somehting that they were known for). It genuinely looks like I've pulled this one straight out of the box a few minutes ago.

I've never broke anything electronic, but starting with a machine that costs $1,250 is not something I'm willing to do. 

At home I sometimes use it without its case, but when I'm out, that aluminum just screams scuff damage. And the Displays oil resistance film scratches and scuffs. Thankfully a screen protector actually hides the display damage.  

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

8 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I've never broke anything electronic, but starting with a machine that costs $1,250 is not something I'm willing to do. 

Indeed, those prices are not really tempting you to be very careless with your device :P

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

that aluminum just screams scuff damage.

Can confirm. It also bends. 

My MacBook Air is bent at the corner (and scratched at a few places) despite being in a padded bag.

10 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Well kids are kids you know. I don’t even see why they need laptop for school when the school has computers these days.

When a 6 year old laptop is faster than 6 month old teachers-only laptop, that kind of gives you an idea as to how bad the school computers that students have access to are. Plus the school has a BYOD program.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

13 hours ago, mr moose said:

In secondary it's better for the students have their own rather than use the schools fleet.

At a cost to the parents though. If you can afford it, it’s pretty good but should be optional always.

9 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

At a cost to the parents though. If you can afford it, it’s pretty good but should be optional always.

Well there are rental laptops-but those normally get utterly wrecked (or simply don't do what's needed in the first place).

Note: HP are very shitty when it comes to getting a replacement screen assembly (bezel+screen+digitiser). And some times at a higher cost (part only no labour) than what the laptop was bought for.

PMSL

On 7/14/2018 at 12:19 AM, DrMacintosh said:

They gave the new switches foreskin and marketed it as making them more silent. 

Genius (not really)

Hopefully it actually helps and doesn't get damaged when cleaning. 

XD. The sound is like the one thing these things have going for them still. Used to love aluminum apple keebs. Still, like apple to silently fix a problem while denying it. Remember the first retina displays? I think it was LGs that developed ghosting and they switched to samsung which didn't, or they first sold both but later switched to samsung only. Thing is they made the switch before they actually accepted warranty repairs for this and did an recall. Wasn't their fault of course, basically they were first to market with these panels and it was first gen tech at that pixel density. It's just how they respond- silently fix, deny problem. (Alternative would be razer method- deny problem, make it worse the next gen) 
I remember that, someone I knew had an lg one. Personally witnessed it. They would put a grid on the screen, minimize it, wait like a fucking minute then see if there was ghosting. Yah, ghosting only a problem after a minute lol. Still think the initial retina mbps were their best laptop ever though. 

For the damage while cleaning, so you mean removing the keycaps? Are you able to safely do that on these? 

On 7/14/2018 at 12:41 AM, DrMacintosh said:

They key, according to early hands on reviews, hasnt changed in feel. 

Well that sucks. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

Here in lies the problem,  the world is moving away from paper and pen.  Whether we like it or not a student without a laptop is a student without the necessary tools to succeed.  This is not the fault of the government, school, parents or anyone.  So the solution is tricky, schools for the most part, where I am, do their best to ensure every student has access to a computer to get their work done, schools still have computer labs and laptop fleets. However there are times when you can get a better deal from JBhifh than the options on loan/hire from the school.  BYOD systems are the best. 

It also means that poorer parents and students can still have a laptop because they can opt to get something with a smaller or lower res screen or smaller hard drive and operate from USB.  Barrier to entry is lower.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It's something

Hope it does the job even though Apple, being Apple, won't admit to fault 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On 14/07/2018 at 8:08 PM, djdwosk97 said:

I don't think Samsung manufacturers keyboards.

Ah shi.... 

20180715_214452.jpg

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

5 hours ago, mr moose said:

Here in lies the problem,  the world is moving away from paper and pen.  Whether we like it or not a student without a laptop is a student without the necessary tools to succeed.  This is not the fault of the government, school, parents or anyone.  So the solution is tricky, schools for the most part, where I am, do their best to ensure every student has access to a computer to get their work done, schools still have computer labs and laptop fleets. However there are times when you can get a better deal from JBhifh than the options on loan/hire from the school.  BYOD systems are the best. 

It also means that poorer parents and students can still have a laptop because they can opt to get something with a smaller or lower res screen or smaller hard drive and operate from USB.  Barrier to entry is lower.

TBH we live in nice countries. Places like the US and India etc where there can be some real poor people with access to education like this out there with no access to government aid won't be able to afford it. 

1 hour ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Ah shi.... 

I think Apple is safe lol. 

6 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Well there are rental laptops-but those normally get utterly wrecked (or simply don't do what's needed in the first place).

Note: HP are very shitty when it comes to getting a replacement screen assembly (bezel+screen+digitiser). And some times at a higher cost (part only no labour) than what the laptop was bought for.

Anyone who rents a laptop is getting ripped off IMO. The depreciation for technology is so great that it's never worth it. 

6 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I think Apple is safe lol. 

lol wut...?

uh....

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

7 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Anyone who rents a laptop is getting ripped off IMO. The depreciation for technology is so great that it's never worth it. 

Its only $100 at most per year.....and if it breaks students get given a replacement no questions asked. The laptops (Dells) are that prone to breaking even when well looked after.

That though is why the school, is looking towards HP for student laptops - every single laptop supplied by Dell has had some sort of serious hardware defect (primarily related to the motherboard).

PMSL

can't apple users clean a keyboard? i was unaware of the "dust and crumb" apocalypse 

31 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Its only $100 at most per year.....and if it breaks students get given a replacement no questions asked. The laptops (Dells) are that prone to breaking even when well looked after.

That though is why the school, is looking towards HP for student laptops - every single laptop supplied by Dell has had some sort of serious hardware defect (primarily related to the motherboard).

That’s $100 you’ll never see again. It’s also a lot of pen and paper.

10 minutes ago, asus killer said:

can't apple users clean a keyboard? i was unaware of the "dust and crumb" apocalypse 

No. 

Until now nobody really cleaned Mac keyboards because they were designed so that you could get years of dust buildup before shit started to not work right. Now that the keys are much smaller, and require more attention than a standard scissor keyboard, people are noticing it more. 

That is not to say that the keyboards are fine, they aren't. Even my 2016 MBP has an issue with the x key sometimes registering 2 strokes instead of one. But I do have to also admit that people don't take care of their machines or think they take better care of them than they really do. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

TBH we live in nice countries. Places like the US and India etc where there can be some real poor people with access to education like this out there with no access to government aid won't be able to afford it. 

Absolutely,  Australia and NZ have some of the best education in the world.  IT really is only a matter of perspective and personal preference for pedagogy as to whether places like the Netherlands/Germany do it better.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

35 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

That’s $100 you’ll never see again. It’s also a lot of pen and paper.

Across 5 years with replacements being offered as needed-not really. Since they can also be taken home (BTW the rental is handled as part of the school fees-not much paperwork at all).

PMSL

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

Everything starts with a proper education and the ability to access that education.

Indeed, compared to the US, we have an astonishing system that gives student as much opportunities as possible to study according to their interests.

1 minute ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Everything starts with a proper education and the ability to access that education.

Indeed, compared to the US, we have an astonishing system that gives student as much opportunities as possible to study according to their interests.

The US has a great education system. There is just more poverty than there should be, hence their kids will likely end up in poverty too. 

3 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

The US has a great education system. There is just more poverty than there should be, hence their kids will likely end up in poverty too. 

I was referring for example to the US's tuition fees ;)

What if, and I know this might sound wild but just listen to me, you were to eitgher NOT buy a macbook or close a few Starbucks places down so the fanboys wouldn't have a place to reuin their keyboards by eating over them while writing fanfictions? This just solves so many problems at once!