iPhone X is dead as consumers turn their backs on pricey smartphones

Okjoek
4 hours ago, abazigal said:

By the way, Apple’s quarterly earnings call is due next week. I am calling it now - a small 2% increase in year over year sales, a 13% increase in average selling price, and higher revenue (up 15% from the same time last year) on the back of stronger-than-expected sales of the iPhone X (this information is taken from Aboveavalon). In general, Apple is, and will continue, to do just fine. 

Anybody wishes to call my bluff?

mmmm I do think you'll be right but I find it hard to believe the iphone x is selling lots. I've seen more people getting the 8 than the X. Will see though. It's just hard to believe the iphone x is still selling loads, but hey, it's apple.

4 hours ago, The Viking said:

mmmm I do think you'll be right but I find it hard to believe the iphone x is selling lots. I've seen more people getting the 8 than the X. Will see though. It's just hard to believe the iphone x is still selling loads, but hey, it's apple.

https://mixpanel.com/trends/#report/iphone_8_X

According to this website, it is estimated that iPhone X had higher usage share than the iPhone 8 and 8+. So it’s not unreasonable to conclude it was the best selling iPhone for the year. 

6 minutes ago, abazigal said:

https://mixpanel.com/trends/#report/iphone_8_X

According to this website, it is estimated that iPhone X had higher usage share than the iPhone 8 and 8+. So it’s not unreasonable to conclude it was the best selling iPhone for the year. 

mmm interesting. Drop in price helps maybe? i've seen the iphone x for below 1000e now, which puts it close to the S9+

1 hour ago, The Viking said:

mmm interesting. Drop in price helps maybe? i've seen the iphone x for below 1000e now, which puts it close to the S9+

That might be part of it.  During the fall, though, the iPhone X was definitely the star attraction.  It's possible that you're looking at the product of that early rush.  I actually suspect that the 8 was created in part for this point in the year, when you're more likely to get people buying phones on plan renewals than early adopters.

On this note, an analyst at RBC recently surmised that Apple may price the new 'regular' iPhone X at $899, and its X Plus equivalent at $999.  That's not exactly a giant discount, but it might overcome a psychological barrier ("I'm paying $1,000 for a mid-size phone?").  And $999 for the extra-large model is considerably easier to swallow.

Ive never seen anyone with an iphone-x 

I still think 1000$ for a phone is stupid. I think my flip phone 10 or 12 years ago cost like 90$ 

3 hours ago, Commodus said:

On this note, an analyst at RBC recently surmised that Apple may price the new 'regular' iPhone X at $899, and its X Plus equivalent at $999.  That's not exactly a giant discount, but it might overcome a psychological barrier ("I'm paying $1,000 for a mid-size phone?").  And $999 for the extra-large model is considerably easier to swallow.

Nope. next iphone will be above 1K again. The fact that millions bought the X for 1200$ is enough for apple to try again and go a bit further. Next iphone will be at least 1.3K, and won't sell "much" but still improve Apple's profit by a certain %. They'll just price down the X or release a regular iphone and done.

But, sincerely, if you're gonna spend 1.3K on a phone, go buy the focking Mate RS from Porsche Design instead, that's much more luxurious. I've seen people in the UK unsure between the X and Mate RS and going for the Mate RS for costing the same, that's how crazy Apple's pricing has become.

The top iphone X is 1.3K at 256gb of internal+Apple care, so might as well spend the 1.5K somewhere else, right?

28 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

Ive never seen anyone with an iphone-x 

I still think 1000$ for a phone is stupid. I think my flip phone 10 or 12 years ago cost like 90$ 

The Motorola Razer was over $600 at launch and the enV was over $300 at launch. Flagship flip phones were actually quite expensive when not carrier subsidized considering the tech in them.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

The Motorola Razer was over $600 at launch and the enV was over $300 at launch. Flagship flip phones were actually quite expensive when not carrier subsidized considering the tech in them.

And, if these figures don't adjust for inflation, even more in today's terms.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

Point is, tech is suppose to get cheaper over time while also improving. Which is happening, but not getting to the consumer.

That goes for everything from coffee to health care. 

18 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

Point is, tech is suppose to get cheaper over time while also improving. Which is happening, but not getting to the consumer.

It is getting to the consumer. Today's flagship does very little that mid range phone's can't, the performance delta between a $900 phone and a $400 phone is not nearly as big as it was, to the point that most people won't notice the difference anymore.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 hours ago, The Viking said:

Nope. next iphone will be above 1K again. The fact that millions bought the X for 1200$ is enough for apple to try again and go a bit further. Next iphone will be at least 1.3K, and won't sell "much" but still improve Apple's profit by a certain %. They'll just price down the X or release a regular iphone and done.

But, sincerely, if you're gonna spend 1.3K on a phone, go buy the focking Mate RS from Porsche Design instead, that's much more luxurious. I've seen people in the UK unsure between the X and Mate RS and going for the Mate RS for costing the same, that's how crazy Apple's pricing has become.

The top iphone X is 1.3K at 256gb of internal+Apple care, so might as well spend the 1.5K somewhere else, right?

I'm doubtful about that.  The iPhone X cost $999 in part because production for the OLED screen and TrueDepth camera tech were seriously hampered at the time.  It wouldn't be a stretch to see Apple trim the price now that it's easier to make.  That and if mid-cycle X sales are slow, Apple may decide to lower the price of the next model to keep interest going for longer.

As it stands, it seems like Apple's strategy for the model below the X is already set: it's expected to be a sort of 'iPhone X Lite' with an LCD and one rear camera.

I don't think the Porsche Design Huawei phones are all that luxurious.  It's an existing phone like the Mate 10, only with some aesthetic changes, and some dubious ones at that (such as the gaudy "Porsche Design" text on the chin).  The iPhone X actually strikes me as nicer in part because it's not serving as an ad vehicle for another brand.

3 hours ago, Kamjam21xx said:

That goes for everything from coffee to health care. 

Tech is improving and getting cheaper. The existence of a premium category of products doesn't negate that fact. Premium anything always has and always will exist at premium prices.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

On 4/24/2018 at 12:06 AM, Drak3 said:

Why would anyone want to though?

Apple thought they should give everyone one for free!

6 minutes ago, n8cwhite said:

Apple thought they should give everyone one for free!

Apple does alot of other inhumane things as well.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I'll stick with MOTO G4 which never rings when people call me, so i never get disturbed.

Seriously these expensive phones are nothing but a status symbol, when you get to my age you don't give a fuck about such things and just want something that works hassle free, for the lowest possible cost. 

For me my moto does everything i need, and i don't see me even upgrading when my contract is up in December, i think id rather have the extra £10 a month in my arse pocket that i am paying for the phone.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

5 hours ago, super_skank said:

I'll stick with MOTO G4 which never rings when people call me, so i never get disturbed.

Seriously these expensive phones are nothing but a status symbol, when you get to my age you don't give a fuck about such things and just want something that works hassle free, for the lowest possible cost. 

For me my moto does everything i need, and i don't see me even upgrading when my contract is up in December, i think id rather have the extra £10 a month in my arse pocket that i am paying for the phone.

That kinda defeats the purpose of having a phone. 

Only an Apple thread like this stays alive for so long even though the OP wasn't factual. 

2 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Only an Apple thread like this stays alive for so long even though the OP wasn't factual. 

people use this kind of news to track attention.... 

"gee look at my thread... got 9000 views alr..."

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

On 4/25/2018 at 6:42 PM, Drak3 said:

Apple does alot of other inhumane things as well.

Such as exist

Image result for quality banter

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

2 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

It's an LTT tradition, a rite of passage. You're not a real LTT forums member until you've participated in a week-long Mountain Dew fueled shitfest that is an Apple related thread.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

On 24/04/2018 at 12:03 PM, Princess Cadence said:

Taxes and tributes makes it cost about 3000 dollars in Brazil and a shit ton of people still buys it.

Yeah thats my point. 3k for a bike in that range (the mt03) is roughly its pricepoint. You said u can get one for 1k (iphone price), which would make it appear its been ridden to the death, is now fucked and they're selling or they don't care of the actual value and want a quick sale (in the latter you've scored deal of the century) 

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

"With the declines in iPhone X orders and the inventory issue at TSMC at record highs, which basically reflect a need to burn off inventory. Why? Because the iPhone X is dead," Campling wrote

No one point out to Campling that phones are assembled before they are sold. He might be surprised.