Newegg customers are receiving tax bills from the DRS because Newegg didn't charge them sales tax

Master Disaster
2 hours ago, Eaglerino said:

Dear dog, 20%? My state's sales tax is 4%

there are no states collecting taxes in the UK or most of the world. The government collects them. Then again he can go to a hospital in the UK and doesn't have to sell his house to pay for a broken nose. By no means am i saying this or that is right or wrong, only that they are very different realities. 

1 minute ago, asus killer said:

there are no states collecting taxes in the UK or most of the world. The government collects them. Then again he can go to a hospital in the UK and doesn't have to sell his house to pay for a broken nose. By no means am i saying this or that is right or wrong, only that they are very different realities. 

That's... what? literally has nothing to do with my surprise of 20% sales tax

1 minute ago, Eaglerino said:

That's... what? literally has nothing to do with my surprise of 20% sales tax

if in a country you have free wealthcare and in another you don't, it's easy to comprehend one needs to collect more taxes than the other. Nothing in this world is free, if it is, someone is actually paying for it. That was my point.

1 minute ago, asus killer said:

if in a country you have free wealthcare and in another you don't, it's easy to comprehend one needs to collect more taxes than the other. Nothing in this world is free, if it is, someone is actually paying for it. That was my point.

i don't know how you're spinning this into a healthcare argument but I admire that capability

i don't know how you're spinning this into a healthcare argument but I admire that capability

i was not, it was an example. I clearly stated that my point was they are very different realities. Still the example looked to me as relevant, fell free to disagree.

12 minutes ago, asus killer said:

We pay for healthcare separate to tax, every month we pay National Insurance on our wages and that is supposed to pay for healthcare.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

It's not a healthcare argument, he just used healthcare as an example.

You made the comment it was high and compared it your states tax of 4%.  The natural conclusion is that you don't understand the reason behind it seeming high.  I think the response was fair.  I don't know if it is completely accurate, but it is a good example of why taxes would be higher in the UK. Suffice to say that Taxes in the US are generally lower and as a consequence you have less government services.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

We pay for healthcare separate to tax, every month we pay National Insurance on our wages and that is supposed to pay for healthcare.

And that's how it works on the books,  but the reality is that money probably comes from the VAT as well.  Just like we pay for roads through a petrol excise but only few % of that excise actually get spent on roads, the rest goes into other projects.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

don't know the specifics of your country, don't even know what your country is, but if it's like mine, the operative word is "supposed". 

11 minutes ago, mr moose said:

It's not a healthcare argument, he just used healthcare as an example.

You made the comment it was high and compared it your states tax of 4%.  The natural conclusion is that you don't understand the reason behind it seeming high.  I think the response was fair.  I don't know if it is completely accurate, but it is a good example of why taxes would be higher in the UK. Suffice to say that Taxes in the US are generally lower and as a consequence you have less government services.  

I list one tax, and my surprise at the difference. Pretty sure the NHS isn't funded on sales tax

Then there's a jump and trashing of US's health care

I don't really see how that jump was made, but it doesn't matter. I guess I'll sit here alone in my surprise at people having to pay 200 pounds extra if they spend 1000 pounds somewhere. Since 200 pounds is almost 300 dollars... that'd cover me for 3 months for health insurance

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

And that's how it works on the books,  but the reality is that money probably comes from the VAT as well.  Just like we pay for roads through a petrol excise but only few % of that excise actually get spent on roads, the rest goes into other projects.

Yeah I know, hence the "supposed to" :P

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 minutes ago, asus killer said:

don't know the specifics of your country, don't even know what your country is, but if it's like mine, the operative word is "supposed". 

The way the NHS is right now I can pretty much guarantee they're taking money from other sources.

It's frankly getting rediculous, we have migrants coming here just to get free hospital treatment meanwhile people wait an hour for an emergency ambulance, people are being left for days in corridors because there is no free beds, doctors and nurses literally don't have enough time in the day to see and treat all their patients properly and people are dying because they're not getting the care they've paid for all their lives.

Still that's a topic for another day.

5 hours ago, airdeano said:

you'll wanna check with your state/county tax departments as here in arkansas it is publically unknown, but there is a small snippet in the tax code of the state which states all residences are responsible for all state taxes of purchased goods, regardless of sales origin.

so yes, you'd include it in any tax filing with the state/county treasurer.

walmart and amazon are next, watch.. they've been fighting this for a bit and not winning.

Connecticut has no county government, so the county level isn't important. Same with Rhode Island and 8/14 Massachusetts counties. So, if you live in CT, RI or anywhere in MA that isn't Norfolk, Bristol, Plymouth, Barnstable, Dukes or Nantucket County, check with the state treasurer. Anywhere else tho (including those 5 counties I named), check with the county treasurer as well.

On that matter, this only seems to affect CT. MA doesn't enforce online sales tax, so I don't think it'll happen here, but I'll keep an eye out in case the Bristol County (or Massachusetts) treasurer comes after me and my family. We, uh, make a lot of online purchases to try avoiding sales tax these days ^^;

9 hours ago, RKRiley said:

I still get confused by taxes in the US lol, why don't you just pay them automatically(included in the price) on goods?

Like here in the UK, anything you buy the price already has the 20% tax accounted for.

Or am i missing the point and that's what Newegg should have been doing anyway, but they failed to do so?

Taxes are different everywhere across the US. They're decided by both the state and city, as a portion goes to each.  If I go to my local Best Buy and get something, the sales tax will be 8.375%.  If I go to one about 30 minutes farther, the tax will be a little bit different.  Best Buy doesn't want to manage individual prices for each location.  It's confusing, and also not great for business.  It's easier to just set a nation-wide price, and have a computer work up the sales tax by location.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

4 hours ago, wcreek said:

But Connecticut seems like a greedy state so it doesn't surprise me.

3 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Seems like a lot of effort for basically chump change in the grand scheme of things. Also I think Newegg could have at least let customers know they were either forced to comply or that they were ratting them out, bad move all around from everybody.

CT screwed themselves royally a while ago and are now desperate for revenue.

https://anarchangel.blogspot.com/2015/07/a-valuable-lesson-in-how-not-to-govern.html

After some rough years in the 70s and 80s while their legacy manufacturing and fishing industries dramatically contracted, and 10 years where their core insurance and financial services industries had plateaued; Connecticut went through a huge economic boom in  the mid 90s (as with most of the country, but as a percentage more than anywhere other than MA, CA and TX)

In response to this, the state and local governments very rapidly spent...not just their increased revenue... but decades worth of future revenue as well.

They made revenue and growth assumptions, based on continued growth at that explosive boom rate; creating legislation and programs that depended it... and worse, taking on HUGE amounts of debt, with the assumption that it would be easily paid back with future revenue growth.

At the same time, they made regulations that made it much more difficult and expensive to do business in the state... Because, after all, business was booming, and they could afford it, right?

Basically, the entire states primary industries and major private sector employers; failed, contracted dramatically, fled the state, or got special considerations which made them revenue neutral (or even net negative due to state spending or subsidy commitments).

Between this and the collapse of consumer spending, small business failures and contraction, high unemployment, and all of the other ripple effects; Connecticut's economy has contracted by between 11% and 15% overall from its peak in 2006-2008 (depending on how you calculate it and  whose numbers you believe).

That's the worst in the country by a large margin by the way.

The picture is much worse when you look exclusively at the private sector economy, which has contracted over 20% (it may be more than 25% or even more depending on whose estimates you believe)

21 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

The way the NHS is right now I can pretty much guarantee they're taking money from other sources.

It's frankly getting rediculous, we have migrants coming here just to get free hospital treatment meanwhile people wait an hour for an emergency ambulance, people are being left for days in corridors because there is no free beds, doctors and nurses literally don't have enough time in the day to see and treat all their patients properly and people are dying because they're not getting the care they've paid for all their lives.

Still that's a topic for another day.

i got trashed because  of the wealthcare example, but i don't even especially agree with the European model we have. Still the US model is worst. There should be some middle ground between the 2 in my opinion.

33 minutes ago, Eaglerino said:

I list one tax, and my surprise at the difference. Pretty sure the NHS isn't funded on sales tax

Then there's a jump and trashing of US's health care

I don't really see how that jump was made, but it doesn't matter. I guess I'll sit here alone in my surprise at people having to pay 200 pounds extra if they spend 1000 pounds somewhere. Since 200 pounds is almost 300 dollars... that'd cover me for 3 months for health insurance

Again, there was no jump or argument, you expressed surprise and added a comparison, in such circumstances an explanation is not uncommon.  Not sure why that is hard to understand, it's not like he started pontificating about the virtues of said healthcare.  would you be up in arms if he had used some other government agency like the army as the example?

10 hours ago, RKRiley said:

I still get confused by taxes in the US lol, why don't you just pay them automatically(included in the price) on goods?

Like here in the UK, anything you buy the price already has the 20% tax accounted for.

Or am i missing the point and that's what Newegg should have been doing anyway, but they failed to do so?

Because then they couldn't advertise a lower price.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Because then they couldn't advertise a lower price.

I will say this, as an Indiana resident, as soon as newegg started charging sales tax like Amazon, I literally bought 95% less shit on newegg. Amazon is cheaper with better customer service. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

8 hours ago, wcreek said:

TAXATION IS THEFT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Well I mean it is...

But Connecticut seems like a greedy state so it doesn't surprise me.

CT might have some rule that allows them to tax any goods that are shipped into the state. Hopefully MNDOR (Minnesota Department of Revenue) gets any bright ideas and decides to subpoena Newegg or Valve.

Wonder if the DRS is looking into B&H too lol.

Minnesota does have use tax but I don't think they will do the same. I remember a having a conversation with my sister who is an accountant about use tax. She says that hardly anyone reports it even though you technically should but also hardly anyone is auited for it either.

10 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Minnesota does have use tax but I don't think they will do the same. I remember a having a conversation with my sister who is an accountant about use tax. She says that hardly anyone reports it even though you technically should but also hardly anyone is auited for it either.

I hate the idea of a use tax. Either tax me for the sale or don't. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

7 hours ago, Eaglerino said:

Dear dog, 20%? My state's sales tax is 4%

But you have to remember, we pay one consolidated tax of 20%. Thats it! no federal, state, interstate mobo jumbo tax etc etc

also, we have free healthcare which our tax pays for. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

America and their 9 million taxes to keep track of... Jeez

1 minute ago, Ben Quigley said:

But you have to remember, we pay one consolidated tax of 20%. Thats it! no federal, state, interstate mobo jumbo tax etc etc

also, we have free healthcare which our tax pays for. 

Shit I pay 17.5% in VAT

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

I really don't like the argument that all internet sales should have sales tax, I like the idea of location based- like a warehouse in state or something. But I get the argument for it- that the former makes it harder for local business to compete, I can see that. I tell you what worries me is fucks that are like "X is located in our state and make most of their sales out of state, therefore tax them". They try to get company specific taxes (wrong) and the idea that there's some that want a sales tax on the way out AND the way in pisses me off. Like if I buy something from cali, they want to collect sales tax, in Cali, for the sale, so I'm paying double sales tax.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think taxation is theft. It's theft when it's not enforced fairly and it's theft when your effective tax rate (not just income, like total percentage of money that goes to state or fed) is more than half. Hell I think much more than a third is wrong, but it's not a perfect world. Figure out how to use it, never take more. I certainly think states should get sales tax revenue over shit like for profit prisons and some areas having ridiculous traffic ticket quotas, etc. There are some that would rather us drive on dirt roads as long as we have traffic lights and as much as I'd like an excuse to drive to work with muddin tires, I'd rather pay newegg 7-8%. Has anyone seen the potholes by Indianapolis on 69 lately? It's almost Michigan down there. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Newegg is dead to me after using them almost exclusively since 2002. Connecticut gave them the option to either start collecting sales tax or throw their customers under the bus, or they could have told CT to go fuck themselves, and they chose throwing their customers under the bus.

source: http://www.courant.com/politics/hc-pol-online-sales-tax-20180214-story.html