Newegg customers are receiving tax bills from the DRS because Newegg didn't charge them sales tax

Master Disaster

This one is currently breaking, right now it's mostly on Twitter. LTT friend Jayz2cents posted the following image

DXdXUOaU8AAZNrU?format=jpg

Jay then followed that tweet with this one

Source is Twitter. I'll update this topic to follow guidelines as soon as more solid info is available.

Also this on YouTube

Reading through the Twitter threads some people are saying this is illegal and others are saying they have evidence that NewEgg weren't subpoenad at all but gave up the info volunterily, I guess we will find out, probably tomorrow.

Update

Jay just uploaded

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I still get confused by taxes in the US lol, why don't you just pay them automatically(included in the price) on goods?

Like here in the UK, anything you buy the price already has the 20% tax accounted for.

Or am i missing the point and that's what Newegg should have been doing anyway, but they failed to do so?

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

4 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

I still get confused by taxes in the US lol, why don't you just pay them automatically(included in the price) on goods?

Like here in the UK, anything you buy the price already has the 20% tax accounted for.

Or am i missing the point and that's what Newegg should have been doing anyway, but they failed to do so?

From what I understand (and like you I really have no idea) they're supposed to do that however they're not actually required to do that. It seems like they can sell you something tax free then the burden is on you to declare it and pay taxes for it on your tax return.

I agree that seems like an odd way of doing business but I imagine they have a reason for it, I just can't think what that reason would be.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Taxes are handled so differently on so many things in the US. You have state sales tax, you have federal tax, you have shipping tax, you have handling charges. So much changes and since we don't really have a federal minimum wage they can't just charge one universal fee that everyone has to pay. The quality of life changes dramatically across the different states. Like someone in Illinois can't be taxed the same as someone in California on a sale. The person in Illinois makes less per hour than someone in California. It just wouldn't be fair. So some states have sale taxes and internet sale taxes, some don't have either. But, all states have internet sale tax if the business has a footprint in the state, so if I lived in Nevada I wouldn't pay any sales taxes on ordering from Newegg, but since they are located in California I do pay those taxes. 

lol this should be illegal, the customer is not the one having to pay taxes on products, its the seller who includes them in the product price, i think a massive lawsuit should follow, but i know nothing about US laws so not sure what can be done

2 minutes ago, 91wow said:

Taxes are handled so differently on so many things in the US. You have state sales tax, you have federal tax, you have shipping tax, you have handling charges. So much changes and since we don't really have a federal minimum wage they can't just charge one universal fee that everyone has to pay. The quality of life changes dramatically across the different states. Like someone in Illinois can't be taxed the same as someone in California on a sale. The person in Illinois makes less per hour than someone in California. It just wouldn't be fair. So some states have sale taxes and internet sale taxes, some don't have either. But, all states have internet sale tax if the business has a footprint in the state, so if I lived in Nevada I wouldn't pay any sales taxes on ordering from Newegg, but since they are located in California I do pay those taxes. 

I'm so confused, why just not have one single tax? Wouldn't it be easier on your yearly tax filings? 

i'm a simple person, if you owe taxes you should pay those taxes. I would not expect this from the US, maybe in some 3rd world country.

14 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

From what I understand (and like you I really have no idea) they're supposed to do that however they're not actually required to do that. It seems like they can sell you something tax free then the burden is on you to declare it and pay taxes for it on your tax return.

I agree that seems like an odd way of doing business but I imagine they have a reason for it, I just can't think what that reason would be.

Well, Newegg only charges tax in NJ, CA, IN, and I believe one other state as that is where they have warehouses. Every other shipping destination is exempty from tax as there is no warehouse in-state. So there was probably some odd thing with CT (maybe there's a warehouse there, or maybe CT law requires taxes even without a warehouse), and they were just trying to avoid it (and breaking tax law in the process) and now just trying to shift the problem to the consumers?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

14 minutes ago, yian88 said:

lol this should be illegal, the customer is not the one having to pay taxes on products, its the seller who includes them in the product price, i think a massive lawsuit should follow, but i know nothing about US laws so not sure what can be done

There have been many cases regarding the subject starting with Quill Corp. v. North Dakota, companies cannot be forced by states to collect state sales tax if they don't have physical presence in that state. This obviously created a sales tax loop hole initially so states created whats called a 'use tax' that is at the same rate as sales tax and is only applied to goods bought out-of-state and used in-state. When a company says there is no state sales tax for you, they are correct. There is a use tax that the consumer is responsible for though.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Just now, DeadEyePsycho said:

There have been many cases regarding the subject starting with Quill Corp. v. North Dakota, companies cannot be forced by states to collect state sales tax if they don't have physical presence in that state. This obviously created a sales tax loop hole initially so states created whats called a 'use tax' that is at the same rate as sales tax and are only applied to goods bought out-of-state and used in-state. When a company says there is no state sales tax for you, they are correct. There is a use tax that the consumer is responsible for though.

Is the use tax enforced regularly? Because there have definitely been numerous sites that I've ordered from and obviously not paid sales tax on as it's not applicable nor any other tax. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Is the use tax enforced regularly? Because there have definitely been numerous sites that I've ordered from and obviously not paid sales tax on as it's not applicable nor any other tax. 

If the relevant tax enforcement agency finds out you haven't paid it, they will for sure enforce it. It's a tax that you report on your state tax return filing.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

A system which can be explained fairly, but is utterly designed to entrap, and punish.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

lol wow, the wording and tone in that letter... just wow

anyway, pretty sure the interest and "penalty" would be newegg's responsibility, so they can go get that from newegg if they want.  customer is not going to pay for newegg's mistake lol

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

If the relevant tax enforcement agency finds out you haven't paid it, they will for sure enforce it. It's a tax that you report on your state tax return filing.

Interesting....So why hasn't this come up many times before with Newegg? This should have been an issue for the entirety of its existence.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I presume it is fair to state that NewEggs reputation is ruined.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Interesting....So why hasn't this come up many times before with Newegg? This should have been an issue for the entirety of its existence.

Well I mean it technically has been, I just don't think it was large enough for the longest time to warrant a state specifically targeting customers of it.

15 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

lol wow, the wording and tone in that letter... just wow

anyway, pretty sure the interest and "penalty" would be newegg's responsibility, so they can go get that from newegg if they want.  customer is not going to pay for newegg's mistake lol

corporations are people

they make mistakes!

obviously we need to protect them, it's the CONSUMERS FAULT!

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Strangely thanking fuck for the GST here... Bizarro that they'd seek to impose the penalty on the customer. Unless customers not paying tax on things is kinda the norm there?

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

37 minutes ago, Kierax said:

I presume it is fair to state that NewEggs reputation is ruined.

It's kind of a shame they don't have any public IPO on NASDAQ, would be interesting to see how bad their stocks will take a small hit. Meanwhile in the AMZN court, they're looking fine and dandy.... but it's definitely recommended to switch to AMZN now. 

e: before you ask, why do investors care? when your company is in the news for fucking over customers, you may wanna jump overboard with the customers and find a better company

1 hour ago, SC2Mitch said:

I'm so confused, why just not have one single tax? Wouldn't it be easier on your yearly tax filings? 

Because its more expensive for certain states to function then others. So like New Yorks government is a lot more expensive to run because the roads the roads need to be plowed and stuff during the winter, while in a country like Alabama theres not much that needs to be done there so the taxes are a lot lower. 

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Why doesn't LTT setup their own tech supply chain? 

58 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

It's kind of a shame they don't have any public IPO on NASDAQ, would be interesting to see how bad their stocks will take a small hit. Meanwhile in the AMZN court, they're looking fine and dandy.... but it's definitely recommended to switch to AMZN now. 

e: before you ask, why do investors care? when your company is in the news for fucking over customers, you may wanna jump overboard with the customers and find a better company

Newegg has been doing some shady stuff ever since they were sold to a Chinese company,would be interesting to see if their sales have been declining though.

Amazon is much better although I ordered just a motherboard once,they sent the mobo box as is with a shipping label slapped on it. Sad because Newegg used to have the advantage of better prices & fast cheap shipping with good packaging.

Well, this sucks. Hopefully, this will only be a thing in CT, as the whole reason I shop at Newegg is so I can save as much money as possible since there's no tax. Probably not though, I can see other states doing this same thing, which would kinda kill Newegg.

At least they still have their review system over Amazon (seriously, Amazon's review structure is complete dogshit, I shouldn't be seeing reviews for completely different products when looking at any tech item).