Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

14 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

86C00F80-89D2-4D54-853F-7566E6B204BE.jpeg

Something seems off about that Miata...

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

14 minutes ago, dcgreen2k said:

Something seems off about that Miata...

Just a little xD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

*SNIP*

For the one Miata driver who actually has friends! /s

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

17 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

86C00F80-89D2-4D54-853F-7566E6B204BE.jpeg

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

On 6/10/2019 at 6:26 PM, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

Okay thanks for the advice. If I want to make sure they fit all I need to do is match the first three letters to my vin right?0 Eibach says they are for ys3f. I am asking because I see some places list them as 2003-2005 only. CarID asks for a sub number 12,40 or 44 for OEM springs. 

AFAIK the YS3F is the 2nd gen 9-3 (2002- 2012)

and any part should be interchangeable between the facelift and non facelift 

biggest difference as @RevoltTrain said .. the V6 is quite a bit heavier than the i4 ... and if im correct XWD(how saab called awd) models had different spring rates as well 

On 6/10/2019 at 10:02 PM, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

I am having trouble finding them. Could I go to a local shop and have them just put something in or is it better to buy them first? Honestly my roads are crap so I might just get the original Lesjofors. Would these fit?

It depends. Id change them myself... but if anything at least check if the shop would use the parts you buy... still would go with eibachs 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

21 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

AFAIK the YS3F is the 2nd gen 9-3 (2002- 2012)

and any part should be interchangeable between the facelift and non facelift 

biggest difference as @RevoltTrain said .. the V6 is quite a bit heavier than the i4 ... and if im correct XWD(how saab called awd) models had different spring rates as well 

It depends. Id change them myself... but if anything at least check if the shop would use the parts you buy... still would go with eibachs 

Yep all the suspension bits will technically fit on any YS3F, the XWD stuff is different than the 2WD stuff as well

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

I thought about getting a Saab for a daily actually because they are so cheap but I’m just not convinced it’ll last long enough for me. 

On on a positive note, they can probably be sold 2-3 years from now for the same price you pay for them today.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

8 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I thought about getting a Saab for a daily actually because they are so cheap but I’m just not convinced it’ll last long enough for me. 

On on a positive note, they can probably be sold 2-3 years from now for the same price you pay for them today.

Saab would be a super comfortable daily. If you get an early 9-5 make sure the PCV system was updated. That's the big thing to look out for with those. The 9-3s are a bit smaller, but still a load of fun and super comfy. 9-3 has a 2L Turbo engine, while the 9-5 had the 2.3L

The 9-5 3.0 V6 was absolute trash and should be avoided at all costs, the 2.8V6 the 9-3 got was a hell of a lot better, and a great motor

1 hour ago, RevoltTrain said:

Saab would be a super comfortable daily. If you get an early 9-5 make sure the PCV system was updated. That's the big thing to look out for with those. The 9-3s are a bit smaller, but still a load of fun and super comfy. 9-3 has a 2L Turbo engine, while the 9-5 had the 2.3L

The 9-5 3.0 V6 was absolute trash and should be avoided at all costs, the 2.8V6 the 9-3 got was a hell of a lot better, and a great motor

How much is buying the whole PCV system brand new?

Lol I’d probably want a 9-3 anyways. 

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Bitter said:

How about a Saabaru?

Not really in the mood to be changing head gaskets on the 150k+ mile car id be buying 

I should buy a Toyota lol

Spoiler

28 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

22 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Stickshift corolla

Corollas are alright I guess

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

Gaming PC:

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

How much is buying the whole PCV system brand new?

Lol I’d probably want a 9-3 anyways. 

Typically $40-$50 for the kit through eeuroparts

LeSigh. Customer had some shop lower his TB SS 2 inches on some Belltech springs. I don't know if they forgot parts or didn't know what they were doing or just slapped on the springs/struts without other supporting parts but...

The rear springs fell out when I raised the car. Or they would have if not for a single zip tie on each to hold them to the frame. However when I set the car back down they didn't re-seat into the perches (and I didn't know they didn't because who would imagine they'd make springs that fall out?). Luckily I caught it when I put the car on the drive on rack to look at something else. Springs are barely touching the axle tubes sticking out at weird angles. With weight on the suspension the front LCA are pointed up about 15-20 degrees, the UCA's are pointed up way harder than that, the axles are pointed up, the driver side axle seal is leaking and the axle has a bunch of play in the front diff bushing. Guy screwed himself with this, way over lowered. The ball joints at nearly mashing the stud against the edge of the ball socket sitting still!

And what happens if you have to change a tire or something causes the suspension to drop more than the free height of the springs? I'm wondering if this other shop forgot some parts or used springs for some other model? I don't even see rear springs from Belltech listed on their website for an 06 TB SS. And the SS is already lowered from the factory compared to a standard TB so dropping 2 inches is like dropping 4 inches. I hate when stuff like this happens to people, they just don't know/understand.

On 5/29/2019 at 7:04 PM, Bitter said:

I like the bubble top sportsy cars a lot. I would enjoy a MX6 or even a MX3.

The MX3 community is partly responsible for the death of a lot of MX6's... they came with a 1.8lt V6 and it was very common for people to take the KLZE engine from an import MX6 as it wasn't that hard to drop it in... Same for the Ford Probe community... they all wanted the KLZE engines.

I've not seen an import MX6 for sale in the UK for quite a few years... I keep looking.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

11 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

oh fuck found a 2001 Mazda MPV with the V6 and leather seats

Cool, come back when you find something genuinely interesting

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

Repainted the roof of the Corolla yesterday, and now it looks great! All I need now is some clear coat to fix the trunk and doors.

Daily Driver:

Gaming PC:

Not really in the mood to be changing head gaskets on the 150k+ mile car id be buying 

yep a manual and 2zz powered this time 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

15 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

Typically $40-$50 for the kit through eeuroparts

That’s.... really cheap actually I would be the guy to buy a car and just replace it when I buy it so it’s good the whole time I have it. 

2 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

yep a manual and 2zz powered this time 

I wish they had sold more 05-06 Corolla XRS’s... they only made like 10k of them :( 

engine swap would likely put me over budget too unless I got lucky and found a perfectly good 03-05 (whatever years still had cable throttle) corolla that was already manual (for sake of it not being a pain) for like $500 or something 

keep in in mind the way I do engine swaps I literally make everything that looks like it could be replaced brand new along the way. So it’s expensive.... cost of doing a good job lol

Spoiler

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

That’s.... really cheap actually I would be the guy to buy a car and just replace it when I buy it so it’s good the whole time I have it. 

I wish they had sold more 05-06 Corolla XRS’s... they only made like 10k of them :( 

engine swap would likely put me over budget too unless I got lucky and found a perfectly good 03-05 (whatever years still had cable throttle) corolla that was already manual (for sake of it not being a pain) for like $500 or something 

keep in in mind the way I do engine swaps I literally make everything that looks like it could be replaced brand new along the way. So it’s expensive.... cost of doing a good job lol

Honestly a lot of parts are pretty damn cheap for Saabs, if you know where to look. Tuning and upgrades can be super cheap if you want to make a good bit more power, even just basic bolt ons and a canned tune can make a huuuuuuge amount of power and have some great fun 

4 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

i seriously want one of the corolla T-sport we got here ... especially the supercharged model ... sweet 220hp in a small corolla hatchback ?

Bringing back the tool discussion with a reminder-- fathers day sales are in full swing. Sears has crafstman sets at much reduced prices, so depending on your wrenching needs, check them out. I'm sure other retailers are doing the same too, if sears/crafstman aren't your thing.

6 hours ago, bimmerman said:

Bringing back the tool discussion with a reminder-- fathers day sales are in full swing. Sears has crafstman sets at much reduced prices, so depending on your wrenching needs, check them out. I'm sure other retailers are doing the same too, if sears/crafstman aren't your thing.

too bad the sears in my area shut down bc of the entire bankruptcy deal.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D