Windows 10 finally overtook Windows 7 in market share

Life with Windows 10  

265 members have voted

1. 1. If you're using a PC Windows 10 as the OS, how would you rate your experience at the moment?

2. 2. What build of Windows 10 are you using at the moment?

• Fall Creators Update (Build 1709)
    • Creators Update (Build 1703)
    • Anniversary Update (Build 1607)
    • July 2015 first stable release (Build 1507)
    • November 2015/Threshold 2 (Build 1511)
    • Windows Insider Build

48 minutes ago, Sfekke said:

On the surface it seems great.

But if Windows 7 got DirectX 12 & some much needed love it'd be better.

I do not see a reason to keep releasing new OS iterations. If they would have stayed at 7 & asked a fee of $ 25 a year to use & update it. I would have paid that fee.

Just give us the option. Since if they do not W7 is becoming WXP. Horribly outdated but until you force everyone out they'll keep using it.

New iterations are def needed. Starting from a fresh slate is great. Also windows 7 UI was getting horribly outdated and just needed to go. 

They needed to standardize everything, have more control over their OS. With XP and 7 that just wasnt possible because would never update then bitch about security or stability, now microsoft has control and problems from home users to enterprise are falling across the board. 

12 hours ago, mr moose said:

All I am saying is there is no specific reason linked to windows 10 that would make it run slow on an 8320 or any CPU of that era. I've seen it run very well on celerons and old Pentium dual cores.  

Well. Win Vista - check. Win 7 - double check. Win 8 - double check. Win 10 - ... dobule not fine and checked. xD

I was using pre anniversary update since pretty much launch until I saw a few of @GoodBytes's post on (it was either features of creators updates or security issues, I cant remember, possibly both)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

5 hours ago, Zubkover said:

Well. Win Vista - check. Win 7 - double check. Win 8 - double check. Win 10 - ... dobule not fine and checked. xD

Logical deduction says that if others can run it fine on an 8320 and all other versions of windows run fine then you have either got a hardware problem somewhere else in the system or you are doing something wrong.  It would be nice if there was a simply answer like the 8320 was not supported or something,  but the fact is it is supported and there are no wide spread complaints of win 10 running slow on it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Well i use W7, and thats great. i do have to always check updates online to ensure i dont install Microsoft spyware or performance nerfs, but so long as i do that its fine.

W10 on the other hand, i have it on another system, thankfully its not MY system becouse i  would have thrown it out of the windows by now ...or at least formated and installed W7. Honestly cant stand W10, primarily becouse i dont like the changes, but also becouse its so full of spyware its a PITA to get rid of it, disable it, and block it all that its just easier to stick with W7.

W7 'feels' like a PC OS, W10 'feels' like a tablet/phone OS ported to a PC.

I would go on with specifcs, but ill save that and just say, i dont like W10, i think its hororible and ill be sticking with W7 for as long as possible.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

Logical deduction says that if others can run it fine on an 8320 and all other versions of windows run fine then you have either got a hardware problem somewhere else in the system or you are doing something wrong.  It would be nice if there was a simply answer like the 8320 was not supported or something,  but the fact is it is supported and there are no wide spread complaints of win 10 running slow on it.

Well. Logical deduction says if I work in IT repair place and this affects every FX build and lower-powered i3/i5s then it must be true, or either MS distributes different copies for polish IP adressess xD

I have Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7/10 all in one computer, i like all of them and they are all extremely stable. So i dont really care. Although Once windows 7 is discontinued in 2020, a WHOLE bunch of schools and businesses will have a hard time migrating over LOL   

1 hour ago, Zubkover said:

Well. Logical deduction says if I work in IT repair place and this affects every FX build and lower-powered i3/i5s then it must be true, or either MS distributes different copies for polish IP adressess xD

I work at a repair shop as well, and we've installed Windows 10 on numerous AMD FX and older Core i# systems, and they work just fine.  A little slower than more modern systems, but that's to be expected.

3 hours ago, Zubkover said:

I'm going to have to call BS now.   You may as well claim the the earth is flat and you know that from first hand experience.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

13 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

now microsoft has control and problems from home users to enterprise are falling across the board. 

Not for all users however. Ive had issues with Windows 10. Across 5 install if you include my laptop. One issue is my cursor glitches out, it has survived across at least 4 Installs. I dont know why this happens, but it does. Mostly I just tolerate the issues. Though Ive been testing Fedora out as of late, so Im looking in to alternatives. 

Now that being said. There is a lot about Windows 10 I do like. Its faster, it boots quick, especially if you have and SSD. I like the recovery options, so I dont have to track down a Flash Drive every time I need to refresh my machine. I also really like the notification screen, mostly because its easy to get to the settings and stuff. But the bugs I have encountered like the start menu stop working, has left a bad taste in my mouth. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 2/2/2018 at 9:50 AM, AnonymousGuy said:

how bad Windows 10 is compared to Windows 7.  So much spying bloat shit in it that I absolutely hate it. 

Yes, Billy Boy loves his data to use against you to fatten his wallet

Where my Windows insiders at? REPRESENT!

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

On 6.02.2018 at 4:04 AM, mr moose said:

On 6.02.2018 at 2:18 AM, Jito463 said:

Ok, sooooo... what proof do you need?

I could even get my gf's Sony Vaio SVF as a proof, since it not only has audio issues on Win10, but each time it boots up on Win10 it actually gets an extra stage of "Wait", while the HDD is in a perfect shape and boot of Win8 is done in a matter of 20ish seconds instead of 1min+.

I'm running Windows 10 Education (1709 - Build 16299.129) and it's alright.

I've been tempted to buy a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate and play around with that either in a VM or getting a larger SSD and throwing Windows 10 onto the larger SSD and Windows 7 on my current 120GB SSD. But I really don't have the money for that and it looks like Microsoft doesn't wanna support Windows 7 on Ryzen systems so, oh well.

image.png.e695f617ee1a9efbfbae1207cb6e6cd9.pngimage.png.0ba50d89943ce9361faea78125c7374d.png

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

On 2/2/2018 at 10:52 AM, Delicieuxz said:

Like Captain Chaos mentioned, other sources say that Windows 7 is still the most used Windows OS.

Also, even in that Net Market Share graph, non-desktop devices, like tablets, are going to be counted as contributing to Win 10's "desktop" market share (despite Win 7 not competing in the mobile devices OS market). So, the actual figure is going to be less in Win 10's favour, and more in Win 7's favour than any graph shows.

My guess is that Windows 10 is still a long way off from reaching Windows 7's % of desktop market share.

Eh I think when Microsoft was doing that free upgrade thing is when the telemetry shit from Windows 10 got put into Windows 7.

Although I don't think they put as much telemetry crap in W7 after that update with that allowed free upgrades to 10 from 8.1/8 and 7.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

4 hours ago, Zubkover said:

I could even get my gf's Sony Vaio SVF as a proof, since it not only has audio issues on Win10, but each time it boots up on Win10 it actually gets an extra stage of "Wait", while the HDD is in a perfect shape and boot of Win8 is done in a matter of 20ish seconds instead of 1min+.

I never said you weren't experiencing issues, I was simply relating my own experience at the store where I work.  As to why you have issues but I do not, is the only question of import.

5 hours ago, Zubkover said:

I don't need any proof,  win 10 runs fine on the hardware you mentioned, if you are having troubles then you need to fault find.

On 2/8/2018 at 6:29 AM, Zubkover said:

I have heard about Sony VAIO machines not playing well with Windows 10. My friend has a VAIO Duo which also had tons of issues with Windows 10. This could be a result of Sony selling off the VAIO brand back in 2014, one year before the release of Windows 10. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

On 02/02/2018 at 12:58 PM, hey_yo_ said:

My initial reaction when I saw this was "duh!". It shouldn't come as a surprise. Microsoft for the most part disguised Windows 10 as a software update for Windows 7 and 8.1 users so most of them clicked "update".

Oh come on that my have been true years a go but isn't now. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

On 9.02.2018 at 11:32 PM, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I have heard about Sony VAIO machines not playing well with Windows 10. My friend has a VAIO Duo which also had tons of issues with Windows 10. This could be a result of Sony selling off the VAIO brand back in 2014, one year before the release of Windows 10. 

Problem is that the issue persists even when backed down to Win8 p.p As if the system reflashed the sound controller by itself, no matter how unlikely it sounds.

I cannot get this thing to output more than like... 30% volume that it once had? Before 1709 I could listen to YT vids comfortably on 12/100 - now it is barely audible and the preupdate dB level is somewhere around 70-80 mark. o.O

On 8.02.2018 at 9:16 PM, mr moose said:

I don't need any proof,  win 10 runs fine on the hardware you mentioned, if you are having troubles then you need to fault find.

So basically "I don't need proof, but you need to find a proof"?

On 8.02.2018 at 7:40 PM, Jito463 said:

I never said you weren't experiencing issues, I was simply relating my own experience at the store where I work.  As to why you have issues but I do not, is the only question of import.

Ya, sounds like logic. I do want to know why though, since even when we install these OSes on fresh new HDDs they tend to hiccup a lot during first few hours/days like crazy, even after getting drivers and such done. We had even some returned to us after a week or so with a comment "it runs slow now" after getting a fresh install of Win10. On SATA/PCIe SSD the issue is no more, but that is to be expected.

And before anybody asks, we usually get latest distro iso from MS site, so there are no update issues to speak of.

2 minutes ago, Zubkover said:

So basically "I don't need proof, but you need to find a proof"?

What are you even trying to say?  It's really not that complicated.

you were blaming windows 10 for your problems, it has been pointed out that there are no intrinsic issues with win 10 that make it incompatible or slow with your hardware, so your problems must lie elsewhere.  Some how you seem to have it in your head we are telling you you don't have issues.  On the contrary, we are acknowledging you have issues, we are just confirming that your issues are not because of win ten but likely lay some where else in your system (and specific to your system).  If you don't want to accept that then fine, but don't try to keep turning this thread around to make a point that is largely not true for nearly all of the world running fx/old  processors.

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

If between my freakin reinstalls on ALL of my hardware the ONLY thing that changes on them is operating system and Win10 is NOTICEABLY slower on stock settings then IT MUST BE Win10. xD

There is no escape from this logic, no matter if I saw it on old Sempron, old P8400, Ivy Bridge i3 or my main 8320. xD

1 minute ago, Zubkover said:

If between my freakin reinstalls on ALL of my hardware the ONLY thing that changes on them is operating system and Win10 is NOTICEABLY slower on stock settings then IT MUST BE Win10. xD

There is no escape from this logic, no matter if I saw it on old Sempron, old P8400, Ivy Bridge i3 or my main 8320. xD

Say it all again, maybe win 10 will suddenly stop working fine for everyone else on their 8320's too.  9_9

Only reason why I switched form 7 to 10 was because my laptop ran 10 and that 2020 deadline for Windows 7 is dangerously close. I may as well get it over with and remember Win 7 as the last good OS 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Say it all again, maybe win 10 will suddenly stop working fine for everyone else on their 8320's too.  9_9

That's just flipping the definition of "sample size" on this topic, but whatever. xD