More Intel leaks.. this one is not good though

Message added by W-L

Please don't bump or necro old threads. 

-Cleared/Locked-

The windows patch out yet?

edit: nevermind found my answer finally.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

3 minutes ago, Valermos said:

The windows patch out yet?

Yes there is, I'm having trouble finding the link due to the vast number of pages currently posted, but I'm sure MS have info on their site given how much buzz this has, it's coming out on tuesday but you can direct download the patch

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

Yes there is, I'm having trouble finding the link due to the vast number of pages currently posted, but I'm sure MS have info on their site given how much buzz this has, it's coming out on tuesday but you can direct download the patch

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4056892/windows-10-update-kb4056892 this SHOULD be the patch for it - https://www.techspot.com/article/1554-meltdown-flaw-cpu-performance-windows/

Just now, AresKrieger said:

Here is what I found: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=2018-01

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Just now, Valermos said:

SC2Mitch just posted the win 10 version, which appears to be you OS based on your profile

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

On 1/3/2018 at 10:36 AM, AnonymousGuy said:

I'm going to bet right now that the fix only has a small effect on one benchmark.  None of this "up to 30%" bullshit that is being reported to inflate the drama.

Getting annoyed with "news" in general trying to make everything sound like it's a fucking tragedy.

I'll be paying myself shortly...

My next comment: "oh this is going to drive server farms to Epyc!" .  No it's fucking not.  Intel has bugs caught because they're the big dog that's worth looking *for* vulnerabilities.  AMD has 1/10th the budget as Intel, wouldn't be surprised if their chips are riddled with flaws.  This is the same logic that Amazon and Google are going to be running with.  Better to use the devil you know than the devil you don't.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

So, how will this affect Denuvo games for Intel CPUs? Denuvo makes a lot of kernel calls, right?

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

8 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

So, how will this affect Denuvo games for Intel CPUs? Denuvo makes a lot of kernel calls, right?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/intel-cpus-affected-by-kernel-memory-bug-possible-slowdown-coming.13923/page-7#post-2775015

"We don't know exactly what the bug is or exactly how Denuvo/VMProtect work but it appears that kernel system calls are where the performance hits are. Denuvo/VMProtect probably implement virtual machine techniques but I don't think they do so through kernel modules or kernel drivers, so ideally they won't be effected too much unless their virtual machine environments do a lot of kernel system calls. If they do I/O a lot then they might. If not, then probably the same impact as any other game."

That's all I found on Denuvo (ONLY RELATING TO ACO)

/r/crackwatch is investigating it although

Well, screw server buy atm, I am gonna save up for 8-core EPYC then.

PC Specs : i7 7700k, 24 GB @ 2666 MHz, ASUS Strix GTX 970, ASUS Z170-K, 960 EVO 250 GB, 850 EVO 250 GB, 2x 2 TB WD Purple RAID 0, Green 1 TB

Intel issued a statement on the chip flaw.

Recent reports that these exploits are caused by a “bug” or a “flaw” and are unique to Intel products are incorrect. Based on the analysis to date, many types of computing devices — with many different vendors’ processors and operating systems — are susceptible to these exploits.

Also read: It's not just us! Spread the bad PR across our rivals too!

Check with your operating system vendor or system manufacturer and apply any available updates as soon as they are available. Following good security practices that protect against malware in general will also help protect against possible exploitation until updates can be applied.

Intel believes its products are the most secure in the world and that, with the support of its partners, the current solutions to this issue provide the best possible security for its customers.

Also read: Just keep updating and everything will be fine. We promise. Just keep buying our products and everything will be fine. Pay no mind to the Spectre behind the curtain....

It's all pretty unacceptable really.

Full statement: https://newsroom.intel.com/news/intel-responds-to-security-research-findings/

So far it looks like the actual impact on performance is trivial, so barring something that pops up as it gets fleshed out more it seems to be a "nothing to see here" thing.  Find me a problem that can't be patched with software and then that'll be a *real* problem.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

2 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

So far it looks like the actual impact on performance is trivial, so barring something that pops up as it gets fleshed out more it seems to be a "nothing to see here" thing.  Find me a problem that can't be patched with software and then that'll be a *real* problem.

I hope you're right about performance. I have an older CPU that I just got recently. Hoping it works okay.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

2 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Trivial for desktop users. Certain server applications sees quite a big performance hit, and it's expected that virtualization will be affected the most. 

And that's where the true money lies, not with desktop users. And of course - biggest lawsuits.

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

Intel is committed to product and customer security and is working closely with many other technology companies, including AMD, ARM Holdings and several operating system vendors, to develop an industry-wide approach to resolve this issue promptly and constructively.........which is why Intel and other vendors had planned to disclose this issue next week when more software and firmware updates will be available.

Nice pulling out specific quotes to just bash intel. Looks like others are fixing this issue as well. If AMD and ARM do release a statement about this issue then its clearly not just an intel issue. 

18 minutes ago, JTLSound said:

It's all pretty unacceptable really.

Ok then what the fuck do you want them to do? They already are releasing a patch FFS. 

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

Nice pulling out specific quotes to just bash intel. Looks like others are fixing this issue as well. If AMD and ARM do release a statement about this issue then its clearly not just an intel issue. 

Ok then what the fuck do you want them to do? They already are releasing a patch FFS. 

For me I think Intel is legitimately doing as much as it can now, but it bothers me how the CEO sold so much of the stock beforehand. It could be for something unrelated, but it still worries me that they may have known about it, but didn't do anything for it.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

2 minutes ago, DrDerp said:

For me I think Intel is legitimately doing as much as it can now, but it bothers me how the CEO sold so much of the stock beforehand. It could be for something unrelated, but it still worries me that they may have known about it, but didn't do anything for it.

They could have known about it and kept it hush hush before a patch so people cant abuse it. Whether or not that is a good thing depends on how long they did know about it. 

4 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

They could have known about it and kept it hush hush before a patch so people cant abuse it. Whether or not that is a good thing depends on how long they did know about it. 

They probably knew months ago.  It's not like engineers woke up on Tuesday and this was the first they learned of the exploits.  Things like this take a long time to resolve because you have to have syncs with a lot of customers and stakeholders about how to fix it, when to fix it, how to deploy the fix in the least impactful way, validation of the patches, how to manage the PR about it, etc. 

It's not on the same realm as "oh my visual studio code has a bug *backspace* *click clack* *recompile* *fixed*"

i'm sure the ceo will be investigated but I think that will be discovered as he was being pushed out for 10nm mismanagement along with other things

he will lose alot of money also for selling

8 minutes ago, JTLSound said:

Side note, the graphic for the Spectre is absolutely adorable spectre.min.svg

You know, it can exploit SPECulative instructions and target branches. Where do branches come from? TREes.

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

5 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

ARM and AMD have both released a statement:

https://developer.arm.com/support/security-update

https://www.amd.com/en/corporate/speculative-execution

I just thought the wording of Intel's statement was funny. Why call them out like that? ARM and AMD don't mention each other or Intel.

5 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Honestly? Build better chips. I mean this flaw goes back to 1995.

I really hope this fucks over Intel in the server market. Hopefully, AMD can capitalize on this shitshow. 

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

1 minute ago, JTLSound said:

I just thought the wording of Intel's statement was funny. Why call them out like that? ARM and AMD don't mention each other or Intel.

Because news is only calling them out. Id be pissed too and prove its not just my product affected. 

4 minutes ago, JTLSound said:

Honestly? Build better chips. I mean this flaw goes back to 1995.

You do know bugs are in circulation long long before they are found right?