More Intel leaks.. this one is not good though

Message added by W-L

Please don't bump or necro old threads. 

-Cleared/Locked-

5 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

That warning is also on Microsoft's patch download page. IMO create system restore points like a few of them and then proceed with the update. Or uninstall all antivirus programs first and then apply the update. When done, then reinstall antivirus program.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

That warning is also on Microsoft's patch download page.

Ah I see, just doubling down incase people don't wanna read :) 

3 hours ago, Jito463 said:

A mistake was made, and we are working hard with all appropriate companies to remedy this situation as quickly as possible'.

But they did say its a vulnerability and are working on a patch and to improve performance loss with later patches. Bringing other companies into the mix might be childish to you, but when every article is pointing fingers solely at intel while other companies ARE affected (not fully but still needs to be patched)...their post is justified.   

59 minutes ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

Ryzen is immune to Meltdown, but not Spectre v1 or v2.

The Meltdown fix is the one that sees the potentially large performance drops.

Although Spectre v1 is hard to pull off, and Spectre v2 is hard to pull off with AMD CPUs.

The fixes for both Spectre v1 and v2 have a negligible impact on performance.

25 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

https://developer.arm.com/support/security-update

How very interesting. It would seem that ARM's upcoming Cortex A75 is vulnerable to the "Meltdown" variant (Rogue Data Cache Load) of this vulnerability that seems to have afflicted Intel CPUs. In addition, ARM seems to indicate that anything using it's in-order cores (Cortex A7, A53, A55) are safe from all variants of the "Meltdown" and "Spectre" vulnerabilities. For Qualcomm's original Kryo, who can say? It is (probably) safe to use your Raspberry Pis for banking and handling your more sensitive information however.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208394

Further, while Apple didn't say directly, it is stated (twice) that mitigations for "Meltdown" were included in both macOS 10.13.2, and iOS 11.2, potentially implying that Apple's custom CPU cores may also have been vulnerable to "Meltdown".

Again, more reasons while intel was justified at pointing fingers at other companies that they are not the only ones, even if harder to execute. But I doubt anyone here is going to be like "well apple should of just made a better chip...blah blah blah"

Lawsuit has been filed vs Intel claiming negligence & fraud.

New thread: 

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

Again, more reasons while intel was justified at pointing fingers at other companies that they are not the only ones, even if harder to execute. But I doubt anyone here is going to be like "well apple should of just made a better chip...blah blah blah"

Consumers want faster, more efficient chips, and tend to want them relatively soon. This gives incentive to vendors to design their CPUs for higher performance and efficiency, but not necessarily provide much focus on security by comparison. Having a CPU more secure than Fort Knox isn't going to win performance or battery life benchmarks, after all.

4 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

New thread: 

Without some form of written communication, or any other information suggesting that the vulnerabilitie(s) were known, I find it extremely difficult to believe that a judge, without any sort of CPU engineering background, will be able to render a just and impartial verdict. The unfortunate Judge that gets to preside this case should probably open a book or three.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

10 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

New thread: 

Suing over a bug, are you fucking serious. 

Let intel hire this guy and engineer a CPU with ZERO vulnerabilities....dont worry...ill wait. 

6 hours ago, mr moose said:

WTF are you talking about?  I am not talking about people who are merely upset with Intel over this, I am pointing out the silliness of those making claims about Intel's intentions and ineptitude in the causality of all this.  As I said before, if anyone is going to accuse the engineers of being inept then that insinuates the accuser has some sort of knowledge that the situation could have been avoided if said engineers were not inept.  That can only be observed if said accuser knows how the problem came to be.  They don't though and I dare say no one on these forums knows what the mechanisms were that caused this to eventuate let alone determine it was either intentional or due to some sort of 

You raised the CEO dumping his stocks,  what relevance that has to what I said is anyone's guess.  So my best guess is you think it's all part of the problem like all the others on the IT bandwagon.  You even said yourself "some of us can piece together clues rather then ignorantly assuming the position of blind faith (brand loyalty)", but the problem is you don't have all the information, you are trying to complete a problem without all the numbers and you are sure your answer is right.

It probably looks that way,  but only because you are talking about things I haven't mentioned and raising points that are irrelevant.  So consequently when I address them you probably get confused.

Well half of that is right, but in order to expect them to own up to a mistake we'd have to assume it was a mistake or something that could have more easily been avoided, rather than an issue hidden in million iterations of design that never presented as a problem before.

You have no leg to stand on here. Making the claim that unless you have the same background criteria, you are unable to criticize the company holds  no weight at all. If I drive a newly purchased car off the lot and a wheel falls off,  am I not able to criticize the car company or the dealership because I don't have a mechanical engineerIng degree? Do you honestly not realize how ridiculous and bias that is?

There is speculation currently that this flaw has been around since 1995. Out of all the engineers employed by Intel over that 23 year period (and probably longer while the initial chip was in development) there's no valid reason such a major exploit would have been overlooked. Then coincidentally the CEO abandons ship,  stock wise,  right before the information goes public, right....

Wake the fuck up. You aren't fooling anyone but yourself and the rest of the brand loyal sheep that think intel can't do any wrong.

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

3 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Meltdown is impossible to execute on AMD systems, do to the fact that they promptly check security flags when performing d-cache loads.

Spectre v1 and v2 can be executed on any CPU that uses speculative code execution.

Intel is half right, almost everyone is affected to some extent.  However, meltdown is the worst, and will cost the most, in terms of performance to fix.

If your workload relies heavily on syscalles, AMD may now be the better option.

For most, this won't be an issue though.

5 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

I would do a write up on every CPU affected but, sorry I can't be bothered to go through decades of Intel CPU's and to independently verify them, a list would be pretty kind from Intel and it wouldn't surprise me if people have copied them.

Want a list?...

https://security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00088&languageid=en-fr

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

"Also, people installing the Windows Server patches should ensure they are enabled, too. They are disabled by default due to the potential performance hit involved. Casual desktop users and gamers shouldn't notice any difference, although servers running non-CPU-bound intensive workloads – such as anything that hammers disk storage, the network or just makes a lot of system calls – will suffer to some degree with the Meltdown patch applied. Your mileage may vary."

So according to that, gaming on a 8700k should not change? I wonder if Intel will drop the price of the i7s a bit to reflect this drama.

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

13 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

I wonder if Intel will drop the price of the i7s a bit to reflect this drama.

no, because that doesnt make sense.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Sierra Fox said:

no, because that doesnt make sense.

So if there is a slight performance drop, how does it make no sense to lower their prices? Seeing as it is their fault to begin with?

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

3 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

So if there is a slight performance drop, how does it make no sense to lower their prices? Seeing as it is their fault to begin with?

no. the price of manufacturing doesn't change. you don't pay to guarantee a specific performance benchmark number. hell there could be a 5% difference between CPUs of the same model purely based on the batch they came from, silicon lottery and all that.

you're paying for an i7-8700k running at 3.7Ghz up to 4.7Ghz, nothing more. as long as it is that model and runs at those clock speeds that's all they guarantee

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Can anyone tell how many generations of CPUs were affected. And what about Windows 7 security update, and will it work on, eh..... "non legitimate" version of Windows 7.

2 minutes ago, EnderDogeBlaze said:

Can anyone tell how many generations of CPUs were affected. And what about Windows 7 security update, and will it work on, eh..... "non legitimate" version of Windows 7.

All Intel “Core” chips pretty much. 

Not sure about the Win7 update. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

1 hour ago, Hellion said:

You have no leg to stand on here. Making the claim that unless you have the same background criteria, you are unable to criticize the company holds  no weight at all. If I drive a newly purchased car off the lot and a wheel falls off,  am I not able to criticize the car company or the dealership because I don't have a mechanical engineerIng degree? Do you honestly not realize how ridiculous and bias that is?

There is speculation currently that this flaw has been around since 1995. Out of all the engineers employed by Intel over that 23 year period (and probably longer while the initial chip was in development) there's no valid reason such a major exploit would have been overlooked. Then coincidentally the CEO abandons ship,  stock wise,  right before the information goes public, right....

Wake the fuck up. You aren't fooling anyone but yourself and the rest of the brand loyal sheep that think intel can't do any wrong.

You didn't read my post did you?  You keep saying the same thing as if it addresses what I said.  If all you have left to do is call me a sheep then that says it all really.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, Eibe said:

All Intel “Core” chips pretty much. 

Not sure about the Win7 update. 

Thanks for the fast answer! Well, I could not inform myself very well, some people say that meltdown won't affect normal users that much or at all, and that it is targeted at big companies and bussineses. But I am not sure if I want to risk anything so I might try to apply the patch. My laptop is pretty old, with i3-380m so I don't care about performance anymore.

2 hours ago, EnderDogeBlaze said:

Had posted it not long ago, but the link again...

https://security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00088&languageid=en-fr

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 hours ago, EnderDogeBlaze said:

Spectre 1: Everything since the Pentium PRO

Spectre 2: I think it was second generation Nehalem aka core i series.
And about the same for Meltdown, if I remember correctly.

So in other words:
All relevant CPUs from Intel from at least the past 7 years.

And some issues (AFAIR Spectre 2) are worse on the more modern CPUs than the older ones.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Looks like update to Windows came in yesterday/today. Asus AI  suite and fancontrol service wouldn't work because of KERNELBASE.dll error. Uninstalled the update and it's working again.

Edit: It effin installed the update again, got to love ms...

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

I suppose it is safe to assume anything Intel wise coming out in the next year will likely have the same flaw already as well? 

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

14 hours ago, mr moose said:

It's also the mentality here that if someone has a different opinion that you start to get called a child and naive I.E:

It's more of people living in fantasy worlds due to their meager existence IRL. What came first, the Douche or the Bag?

Break the Cycle

tmyk.gif

Intel Core i9-7980XE © Intel Reference X299 Motherboard © 64GB Intel Campus Tested DDR4 4500 © x4 Intel SSD 750 1.2TB © Intel/AGP 740 VGA SLI © Haswell Ready 1600W PSU 

7 hours ago, mr moose said:

You didn't read my post did you?  You keep saying the same thing as if it addresses what I said.  If all you have left to do is call me a sheep then that says it all really.

Read your post. You continue to regurgitate the same nonsense that unless you have an engineering degree you have no place to criticize a company as a customer. 

You also continue to assume that a CEO with tons of money on the line is completely innocent and this is all a misunderstanding.

Both point to the only reasonable conclusion that you are so blinded by brand loyalty that you're willing to go to great lengths of ignorance to defend a corporation you have no real stake in.

In short you are the perfectly molded gold standard for what is a sheep.

Intel could shit a brick in your bed, rub your nose in it and you'd turn around and ask for more.

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

1 minute ago, Hellion said:

you have no place to criticize a company as a customer. 

Yeah you do? Anyone has the legal right to criticize a company for their shitty actions.