The FCC just KILLED Net Neutrality

RileyTheFox
3 minutes ago, SALEEN961 said:

But they won the vote, paying doesn't always work but it did in this case, and that indicates bad intentions to me.

I edited my post to be more clear. Repsone to another quote

"No I mean doesnt guarantee anything to come from net neutrality going away. Like paying a official to get rid of it and expecting you can charge double after the vote.  Websites are going to fight ISPs with pricing, the war isnt over yet."

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

I mean I want to get cable tv because streaming services suck but they're cheaper. 

Centurylink at least has never throttled anything

yeah probably because if they did they would be out of business. idk how centurylink is now but back when I had internet through them they didn't have very fast internet and the bandwidth wasn't the greatest. 

9 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

No I mean doesnt guarantee anything to come from net neutrality going away. Like paying a official to get rid of it and expecting you can charge double after the vote.  Websites are going to fight ISPs with pricing, the war isnt over yet. 

No, the war isn't over, there are still things to be done. I hope it ends for the best. I think this may be the most important ruling about the internet, because even though I'm in the EU, some countries, like mine, like to suck US d*** and literally want to copy stuff from them. If this fully passes, you can bet many countries will want to copy it as well. EU commission proved to be more intelligent than FCC, but I'm afraid for how long, since some countries like UK or France might even be worse than US. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Snip

I honestly thought for a while to move to UK with my gf, but with recent events (last 1-2 years), and seeing how it may be the worst western country regarding "free internet speech", I have tossed that as a possibility. You people know how to vote idiots almost as bad as we do. Luckily idiots in my country still don't have bad internet regulations since they're still in the stone age and have no idea what internet is. 

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

No, the war isn't over, there are still things to be done. I hope it ends for the best. I think this may be the most important ruling about the internet, because even though I'm in the EU, some countries, like mine, like to suck US d*** and literally want to copy stuff from them. If this fully passes, you can bet many countries will want to copy it as well. EU commission proved to be more intelligent than FCC, but I'm afraid for how long, since some countries like UK or France might even be worse than US. 

The EU seems to hold pretty firm to their laws (i am only going off what people say here and there). If any thing I hope the EU fights this with us. 

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

yeah probably because if they did they would be out of business. idk how centurylink is now but back when I had internet through them they didn't have very fast internet and the bandwidth wasn't the greatest. 

I've had them for 5 years now, and nothing has changed. We pay for 12mbps down 7mbps up get more like 13mbps down 1mbps up.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Just now, wcreek said:

I've had them for 5 years now, and nothing has changed. We pay for 12mbps down 7mbps up get more like 13mbps down 1mbps up.

yeah that's the problem 12mbs is just not enough for what I do.

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

The EU seems to hold pretty firm to their laws (i am only going off what people say here and there). If any thing I hope the EU fights this with us. 

We'll see how that turns out.

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

It isn't for me either, honestly. But it's the cheapest I really got in my area. Hopefully in the fall of next year, I'll have access to better/more affordable internet in Northern Alabama when I move down there.

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

I could honestly make use of a gigabit line if the service was available.  It's not.  Because Comcast.

I suppose I can always let the free market vote and go with the other provider in my are- oh, wait.  All I have is Comcast.

Current stuff:

Laptop:

Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming

Intel Core i5 7300HQ @ 2.50ghz

GeForce GTX 1050

32gb Crucial DDR4 2133

500gb Samsung 850 EVO

5TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM Laptop drive

Desktop:

Intel Core i7 6700k @ 4.20ghz

2x GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition

4x8gb GSkill Ripjaws V DDR4 2133

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming G1

480gb Kingston HyperX Predator

2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDD

Corsair Strafe RGB w/MX Blue switches

Mad Catz R.A.T. 7

Lots of completely necessary "Go Faster" lights

Server:

Dell PowerEdge T30

4x Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200RPM Drives

1x4gb Hynix DDR4 2133 RAM

CoolerMaster CM Storm QuickFire Rapid w/MX Blue switches&Custom NVIDIA/QuakeCon keycaps

13 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Never had that issue with CenturyLink.

"I never had a problem, therefore, everyone else is just overreacting"

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/11/comcast-throttling-bittorrent-was-no-big-deal-fcc-says/ (pre-emptive "but it's used for piracy", lots of Linux distros are distributed this way and it's likely many digital game stores distribute this way)

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/07/verizon-wireless-apparently-throttles-streaming-video-to-10mbps/

https://www.pcworld.com/article/119695/article.html

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

It isn't for me either, honestly. But it's the cheapest I really got in my area. Hopefully in the fall of next year, I'll have access to better/more affordable internet in Northern Alabama when I move down there.

well I hope you can find more affordable internet as well.

Just now, trekkie1701c said:

I could honestly make use of a gigabit line if the service was available.  It's not.  Because Comcast.

I suppose I can always let the free market vote and go with the other provider in my are- oh, wait.  All I have is Comcast.

and see that's the hope that repealing NN will have is that there'll be more investment in infrastructure.

This is literally opening the market back up again

43 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Do they still throttle if you're using a VPN?

Nope. Hilariously enough, even though they block P2P, if you hop on 4G and download a few KB's and then hop back on, it'll download without issue. xD

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

"I never had a problem, therefore, everyone else is just overreacting"

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/11/comcast-throttling-bittorrent-was-no-big-deal-fcc-says/ (pre-emptive "but it's used for piracy", lots of Linux distros are distributed this way and it's likely many digital game stores distribute this way)

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/07/verizon-wireless-apparently-throttles-streaming-video-to-10mbps/

https://www.pcworld.com/article/119695/article.html

again I don't have comcast so I can't really speak for them

I've never noticed any throttling of video streaming from Verizon.

and who uses Vonage? lol 

and just as everyone was starting to get fiber and the future looked bright... the powerful few humans suddenly decided to keep it all for themselves and not let any normal person freely utilize the beautiful new infrastructure.

what followed was many many wars, and thus the end of humanity.

the earth is now a dark, lifeless place. uninhabitable by anything but single-celled organisms and some plant life. what could of been a thriving and beautiful community, was ruined by the pure greed and pride of humans that were willing to watch the world burn for some slips of green paper.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

58 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Please pay $5 to view this reply

I can still see your reply.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

and just as everyone was starting to get fiber and the future looked bright... the powerful few humans suddenly decided to keep it all for themselves and not let any normal person freely utilize the beautiful new infrastructure.

what followed was many many wars, and thus the end of humanity.

the earth is now a dark, lifeless place. uninhabitable by anything but single-celled organisms and some plant life. what could of been a thriving and beautiful community, was ruined by the pure greed and pride of humans that were willing to watch the world burn for some slips of green paper.

I mean, for awhile before ISPs being classified as a Title II service. CenturyLink was building their fiber optic network and heavily advertising it then sometime around the reclassification they just seemed to stop.

So.

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

I know lol. I was making a joke :)

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

As you will always be able to do, because people are not realizing that this changes absolutely nothing and maybe startups and smaller companies will have a chance at breaking into saturated markets.

22 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I honestly thought for a while to move to UK with my gf, but with recent events (last 1-2 years), and seeing how it may be the worst western country regarding "free internet speech", I have tossed that as a possibility. You people know how to vote idiots almost as bad as we do. Luckily idiots in my country still don't have bad internet regulations since they're still in the stone age and have no idea what internet is. 

Unfortunately, we seem to be a country of tradition and stubbornness, so I know a lot of people who voted the current government in, purely because they've always voted for that party. Then we have Brexit. The only two groups of leave voters I have encountered are Baby Boomers, who seem to be intent on cocking things up for the younger generations and the ignorant or strangely misplaced British pride voters. I'm surprised (and at the same time, not really) at how many conversations I've heard with people starting a sentence "I'm not racist, but...." or "I have nothing against them, but...". 

We seem to have a government that is constantly demonstrating how out of the times they are. When we have politicians saying what they'll do with the internet, with online privacy, with encryption, with Cryptocurrencies etc. etc. without any solid backing from experts in the field, it just shows how ignorant they are when it comes to technology. Being ignorant of technology isn't really a problem in itself, but trying to pass laws and regulations when you don't understand it, that is an issue. Unfortunately, a lot of people (or really, most people) in the general public also don't understand how technology actually works, so go off what the government tells them. 

When the government is saying that we need to ban end to end encryption because it allows terrorists and paedophiles (it's always terrorists and paedophiles) to communicate secretly, a lot of people agree and are all for riding the world of that evil encryption. Only thing is that they don't realise that getting rid of it would also mean a hell of a lot of important services like banking, SMS messaging, online messaging, email, registration forms and such all suddenly become insecure and open to (easier) attack. I'm also disappointed by the amount of people who take the "I have nothing to hide" attitude when it comes to privacy. Even if you don't it's not the point. People seem awfully unattached from what is actually stored about them online, not realising how large the invasion of privacy is when the government snoops around. The same people would be mortified if they were told they had to tell a government employee where they were going, what they were doing, for how long, what they were buying etc. etc. everyday, yet seemingly don't care if the government has free access to that information. 

As a techie, I'm finding it increasingly frustrating trying to explain to non-techies why banning things like end to end encryption is a bad idea, why scrapping online privacy is a bad idea, why abolishing net neutrality is a bad idea and all the other things that are shit. 

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I know lol. I was making a joke :)

I know. xD

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Now I'm tempted to actually hide it just to put icing on the joke cake lol

Can you make it so only people that pays LTT can see it, like FP, Bronze, ...

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc